Need advice on taking care of senior dog

musashi
ALPHA

Mar 31, 2005, 2:48 AM

Post #1 of 19 (7848 views)
Shortcut
Need advice on taking care of senior dog Can't Post

Hi,

My dog is 9 years old already and I am facing some problems now.

First,he don't take senior dog food,but he keep on asking for food, he eat a lot & drinks a lot of water daily and he urine 6 times or more.....Crazy He is also over weight now and Vet's advice is to diet and to reduce a kg or so.

Not so sure any one of you have experience taking car of senior dog ? Does senior dog drink so much and urine so many times ?

I had requested the Vet to do the blood test and everything is normal,no diabtes,no kidney problem,heart is excellent condition and he is healthy

Your advice is appreciated.

Blush I am the man with dog's name

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2005, 3:36 AM

Post #2 of 19 (7843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [musashi] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

taro is 9??? the last time i saw him, he sure doesn't look his age! here are some websites i found related to your questions. hope they help...

vetmedicine.about.com/cs/doggeneral/a/caringseniordog_2.htm

www.thepetprofessor.com/secArticles/dog/Caring_for_an_older_dog.asp

www.cvma.net/doc.asp?ID=1655&ptitle=It%E2%80%99s+About+Pets&titletype=pets&title=

taro is a great dog... give him a hug for me ok? hope to see you guys again soon...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Mar 31, 2005, 4:37 AM

Post #3 of 19 (7837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear ai_ney,

Thanks for the links. I know it wasn't posted for me but they were certainly helpful..

My dog is 8 years old and I only realised she was "aging" when she started to limp one day. I was wondering whether she had twisted her foot (she is a silky terrier) when my dad took one look and said "it's arthritis!". Yup, 1 junior panadol did the trick....

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2005, 7:38 PM

Post #4 of 19 (7832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tiggykoh] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

u're welcome... do a search on the internet and u'll be able to find more helpful sites... Wink

junior panadol?? wow... how often do you have to give your dog panadol to ease her of the arthritis pain? this is something new to me... Cool

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Mar 31, 2005, 8:23 PM

Post #5 of 19 (7825 views)
Shortcut

Yup have been giving my older dogs panadol for pai for years - because Ashley, my terrier, is a small dog, junior panadols are enough.
Panadol is actually excellent for bone pain - and this applies to humans too! Just be very careful about the maximum number of pills to take in a day - the danger threshold is very low.

Ashley does not really get arthritic pains that often - thank god - only when it has been raining..

musashi
ALPHA

Mar 31, 2005, 9:20 PM

Post #6 of 19 (7815 views)
Shortcut

Hi AiNey,

Thank you for the link,will check and find out the solution.

Time really flies and Taro have brought us many happiness and I am getting worry as times goes by.

He has put on weight and lazy to jump now,but he still be very energetic if we go to have a wlak in the jungle..now looking for a girlfriend for him too ! Don't know if it is too late or not.

Anyway..thanks again !

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2005, 3:41 AM

Post #7 of 19 (7797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tiggykoh] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

i take panadols quite often too... for my headaches! Crazy

thanks for the tip... i'm sure it will come in handy one day...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2005, 3:44 AM

Post #8 of 19 (7794 views)
Shortcut

hi rocky,

u're most welcome...

don't worry too much... taro will be fine... sookie is getting older too... maybe 6 or 7 years now, i do not know exactly how old... i just enjoy every single day that we spend together... Wink

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2005, 10:01 AM

Post #9 of 19 (7783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all ...

A dog is generally considered fully mature at 2 years ... and a 9yr old dog is considered a "senior" dog. Don't say "old" lar ... "senior" sound so much better ... Just like me, I am not old - just senior ... Tongue ...

Unless there is kidney problem or some other disorder, I (personally) would not restrict any dog from drinking as much as it wishes, and will allow it to pee as often as the dog needs. Drinking plenty of water is good (for people & dogs, young & old) ...

Drinking plenty of clear clean water is the most natural way of helping our bodines flush out waste & toxins ... People & dogs who drink a lot of clean water, usually find it easier to maintain good health.

However, with senior dogs (and don't forget, a 10yr old dog is something like 60+yrs in human age) ... there are several things to remember:

(a) They are less active ... and their diets needs some adjustment, they need to be fed less ... or they will put on weight (and that is not good for a senior dog).

(b) Their muscles also start to lose some tone & strength ... Their bones & joints become a little more fragile. So, rather than vigorous running or jumping - gentle walks are recommended.

(c) They may start to lose some bladder/bowel control. So, always your senior dog to pee/poop as often as is needed. Don't lar make the poor dog hold for too long (that is not good for the dog).

With many senior dogs, their joints & hips start to stiffen up, some start to show signs of arthritis - And it becomes very important to maintain GOOD WEIGHT. An overweight dog places much more stress on their bones, muscles & system.

And I am not so sure about the benefits of giving "Panadol".

Panadol is an "analgesic". The primary function of an analgesic is to act as a "pain-killer". Analgesics do not remove the cause of the pain, they simply "hide" the pain, by blocking off our pain-receptors.

For example: You have a cavity in your tooth, and you feel pain. You take analgesics, and your pain reduces. But the truth is, your cavity is still there, and as soon as the analgesic wears off - the pain returns.

If a dog is developing arthritis – giving Panadol may reduce the dog's level of pain & discomfort (which is good). BUT the dog is still arthritic. And without the pain to give warning to the dog, the danger is that the dog may try to do more than his body, bone or skeletal structure can cope with (and that is not so good).

As an alternative, consider giving the dog supplements that contain “glucosamine”.

“ … Just as in humans, Glucosamine has been clinically proven to halt the progress of Osteoarthritis in your dog. More importantly, as a natural dietary supplement, it also rehabilitates and reverses the damage that has already been done …”

Some articles to read:

www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/arsupp.html

www.glucosamine-osteoarthritis.org/glucosamine/glucosamine-for-dogs.html

www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/arthritis-pets/glucosamine-dogs.html

Cheers Smile

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Apr 1, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #10 of 19 (7777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,
Agreed - for arthritis, glucosamine is the way to go. Panadol is to help the poor dog get round the discomfort.

I have noticed that dog food for older dogs have glucosamine. However, I read somewhere that it has been proven that the absorption of glucosamine by a person should be aided by chondroitin (can't spell this properly) because glucosamine on its own is hard to absord. That's why in Canada and US, glucosamine tablets (for humans) are combined with chondroitin. Have you ever come accross anything like this for dogs?

musashi
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2005, 10:12 PM

Post #11 of 19 (7770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surchinmy,

Thank you so much for your advice and it's wonderful infomation, must make my wife ti read nad unsderstand.....she is too kind to let my dog eat so much.

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 2, 2005, 1:38 AM

Post #12 of 19 (7766 views)
Shortcut

yeah..the food intake really has to be cut down...more sedentary must give less food.

the glucosamine...you may want to try the human grade that a few of us are buying fron GNC for teh furkids. works ok so far.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 3, 2005, 12:38 AM

Post #13 of 19 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Tiggykoh,

I believe that several products come with Glucosamine & Chondroitin ...

One example is ...

" SYNOQUIN is a patented nutraceutical. Each capsule contains the following pharmaceutical grade quantities of active ingredients: Glucosamine HCL (99% Pure) 475mg Chondroitin Sulphate (95% Pure) 350mg N. Acetyl D-Glucosamine (99% Pure) 50mg Ascorbic Acid 50mg Zinc Sulphate 30mg TOTAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PER GRAM 955mg TOTAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PER GRAM 955mg"

The advertising blurb has this to say about Synoquin ...

" ... For cartilage to grow and maintain its form and function within a joint, it requires specific compounds. The demands on your pet's system to produce these specific nutrients are extremely high so at any one time the 'reservoir' may well be low.
Increasing the supply of these compounds will guarantee their availability for your dog's own repair processes to draw from. In this way your dog will constantly be in optimum position to maintain healthy cartilage and repair any cartilage damage that may occur. SYNOQUIN is a unique combination of naturally occurring chondroprotective agents which provide the cartilage with its key building blocks. Supplementation with SYNOQUIN ensures much higher levels of chondroprotective agents than your dog could achieve from a normal diet .."

Synoquin works ... we have seen this supplement successfully help many dogs - But the problem with Synoquin is that it is expensive.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Apr 3, 2005, 12:44 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 3, 2005, 12:48 AM

Post #14 of 19 (7744 views)
Shortcut

You are most welcome ...

True true ... most of us have a tendency to overfeed our dogs ... How not to, when they seem hungry all the time ... ahyooh! Unsure ...

But with the older dog (especially those with hip/joint problems), weight must be maintained at the correct level ... otherwise the poor doggie will suffer pain, discomfort and complications.

All the best

Cheers

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 11, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #15 of 19 (7648 views)
Shortcut

Anybody having problems of senior dog circling around? Mine do, I carry her when I sees her circles alot. I read from www.idog.com, that cholodin supplement may help. I ordered it from US, hopefully it does her good.

Thankfully, now she is resting, earlier on, I saw her circling so fast, that it makes me worried.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2005, 2:47 AM

Post #16 of 19 (7622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweet] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Circling? ... Sounds like a nervous habit to me ... not really got to do with old age. But check with vet to make sure.

Cheers

coffee

Jul 16, 2005, 12:58 AM

Post #17 of 19 (7608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweet] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Circling can be due to many things, for example, ear problem, brain, balance device in the inner ear, weakness of one side of the body... Do take it to a vet. There are many supplement you can used for senior dog. Basically, they contain antioxidant.

For joint problem, there are a few things you need to do. Glucosamine and condroitin are good for the joint. But you can't expect miracle. It prevent further damage and also repair the already damaged part. But once there is bone changes, that's when the pain is unbearable. That's why you need to give pain killer. Do not give panadol to pet. Dogs and cats have very low threshold or tolerance to panadol. 500mg panadol can kill a 5 kg dog. It actually is toxic to human too but our tolerance is higher. Dogs and cats lack some enzyme in the liver to metabolized of panadol. It can cause very bad effect on the blood cell and subsequently blood vessel. What you are expecting is a dog with swelling face and neck, difficulty in breathing and gum turn purplish. Get proper advice from the vet regarding pain control. For junior panadol, although it is below lethal dose for a big dog, but the accumulation of the toxic product can actually gradually poison the liver. Beware when you see the urine colour start to get more and more yellowish and the skin, gum, turning yellow. Furthermore, senior dog might have preexisting liver, kidney and heart problem which might potentiate the effect of acetaminophen (panadol). Aspirin might be a better choice but be careful of gastric ulcer.

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 17, 2005, 11:01 PM

Post #18 of 19 (7599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] Need advice on taking care of senior dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Coffee, thanks for yr great advice! I won't give her panadol, I know it's pretty bad for them!

All this while, I have been giving her GNC liquid glucosamine and fish oil, but now, I started feeding her Cholodin supplement, which I read it from www.vitamin-resource.com. So far so good!

in
Novice

Aug 9, 2005, 12:21 AM

Post #19 of 19 (7565 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

After reading up on Glucosamine, I think I would like to try it fr my dog. He'e estimated to be about 6 or 7 years old or more. (He has cataracts, his eyelashes has turned white, his black coat got white hair oredi)
I don't think he has pain yet...... is it OK to give glucosamine to him as a preventive measure.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my