Angels' FOSTER Club

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 6:50 AM

Post #1 of 41 (4570 views)
Shortcut
Angels' FOSTER Club Can't Post

Hi. I’m a little, 2-month-old local cross breed puppy. I’m just one of the thousands of cats and dogs that end up at the doorstep of SPCA.

I was one of a litter of 10 – imagine nine other puppies that looked just like me, only some were black and white too – but my brothers and sisters didn’t survive.

I overheard someone saying that puppies as young as us, rarely make it after getting wet in a heavy downpour.

My story is a sad one by most standards, I guess.

My mum and dad belong to this rich family. They had four other dogs besides my parents, and they all had plenty of good food to eat. They were well looked after.

All of them would look forward to the evening because that’s when the kids of the household would come out to play with them and take them out for walks.

Everything was fine and dandy for a while.

Until, that is, Master found out mum was going to have puppies. Mum said it burnt her ears when she heard him say he wouldn’t know what to do with more dogs especially since nobody would want to buy local cross breeds.

Mum and dad were petrified of what this meant but there wasn’t anything they could do.

When the 10 of us were born, dad guarded us fiercely from anything he perceived as a threat. But he couldn’t do anything to stop Master from doing what he did next.

When we were about six weeks old, Master took us away from mum and dad. He put all of us into a cardboard box and drove to a deserted park. And there he left us, with a note on the box saying, “Please give us a home”.

No one came.

It rained hard and heavy for days. We were cold, weak and hungry. One by one, my siblings died. I was close to joining them too, when one morning a man jogging by found the box. He carried us away. He buried my siblings and took me home. He even took me to a kind doctor who helped get me strong and well again.

But the kind man couldn’t keep me as a pet although he wanted to. So, he did what he thought was best and sent me to SPCA.

I’m comfy here for now, but because I’m so young and fragile, I need extra attention. Attention which sometimes the kind folks at SPCA can’t afford to give because they have so much to do, with so little time and money to do it with.

Would you like to help? You could foster me.

If you love animals, but can’t make the long-term commitment, why not consider the SPCA foster programme?

If you think you can handle it, you can volunteer to look after puppies and kittens for a short period – between one week to a month – in your own home. You will return the animal to SPCA once it is ready and it will then be placed permanently in someone else’s home eventually. Or you could keep me!

Many of us are too young, sick or injured and the extra care goes a long way. We need to be fed several times a day and given medication if necessary.

Interested? Call the SPCA at 03-4256 5312 or 03-4253 5179 and ask for Melissa or Christine and register for the Angels’ Foster Club.

Looking forward to meeting you.

(Article taken from Sunday Mail, 28 September 2003, written by Loretta Ann Soosayraj)

Smile
Attachments: I am a local cross breed puppy.JPG (11.5 KB)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 9:57 AM

Post #2 of 41 (4560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

darn...i wish i knew abt this when i was younger. Used to watch abt these type of fostering on tv...wondered if i could do the same for SPCA......*sigh*

Anyways, will spread the word for ya.Smile for lil' kids just like i was who want to prove something to their parents and possibly get a dog. Wink
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:01 AM

Post #3 of 41 (4560 views)
Shortcut

hi,

juz wondering, is there such fostering program all this while in SPCA??? haven't heard of this before :o

and u mean SPCA will really take back the pup from foster parents? that's a really good concept. hmph, maybe i ought to help out this way, as i can't commit myself to go SPCA during weekends.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:07 AM

Post #4 of 41 (4558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

well if i'm not mistaken, the staff have been doing the fostering of pups all this while, also with the help of some frequent visitors of SPCA... so now it's a good thing that they started this Foster Club... i'm sure a lot of people would come forward to help... Angelic

so let me know when u become a Foster Mummy ya! Cool

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:13 AM

Post #5 of 41 (4557 views)
Shortcut

hi,

oh.. this foster club need more promotion o!!!

so how many dogs available for foster now? only puppies? or grown dogs as well?

i'm not really ready to be foster mummy yet la. enquire first in case i'm ready >:)

JolinG
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 12:10 PM

Post #6 of 41 (4556 views)
Shortcut

wow i din know that spca has this kind of fostering thing.......

how bout volunteering...do u just go there n tell them u wan to volounteer?

then is it like fixed...they arrange for u when to come n this n that?....

do u have to tell them when your coming..or if your free then u just come n help there n then?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #7 of 41 (4540 views)
Shortcut

i think the fostering programme are meant for puppies, as they go into SPCA at a very young age and therefore need someone with time to care for them until they are ready to go for adoption. as for adult dogs, well i think dogs that are not well can also be fostered until they are all well again, i dunno. but do ask SPCA about this.

i only got to know about this early this week, so i dunno much yet as of now...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:27 PM

Post #8 of 41 (4538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah it's a new programme that SPCA started...

as for volunteering, well, just go there and let them know u r interested to be a volunteer, no need to register or anything... the staff or other volunteers (like me!) would let u know what u could do (which is a lot!)... better to go on a Sunday for your first visit as a volunteer, coz then most of the other volunteers are there and u won't feel like u dunno what to do... if u go on weekdays then different story... u r left alone with the staff!

volunteering means u go when u have the time... so it's not a fixed schedule, just drop by when u have the time... let me know when u r going ya!

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #9 of 41 (4537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

when u were younger ppl also not yet started this lar... Tongue

yes pls do inform more ppl about this and it could really make a difference to all those puppies who are separated from their mothers at such a young age...

i wonder how many lil girls out there are like u... so determined to prove something to their parents! Cool

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:31 PM

Post #10 of 41 (4537 views)
Shortcut

u know, the biggest problem in fostering, is that the longer u foster the pup the harder to let go.

i've discussed with my parents about this, and they worry i'd get too attached with the pup in the end and couldn't bear to let go. so i think i'll just pass for the timebeing la :(

regards
hunter

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 10:39 PM

Post #11 of 41 (4535 views)
Shortcut

yeah i know what u mean... fostering is usually from 1 week to a month, longer depending on the pup's situation...

so anyone who wants to be a foster mum or dad needs to be prepared mentally, emotionally, physically... they need to know that at the end of the day, the puppies would be sent back to SPCA for adoption... but then again... if they are really too attached to the pup... they can always keep the pup! isn't that wonderful! Cool Angelic

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 11:05 PM

Post #12 of 41 (4532 views)
Shortcut

hi,

lol, yes it's wonderful that foster parents can keep the pup if they got too attached :))!!!

(psst, this some new tactic to encourage ppl to adopt more dogs :>?)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 11:11 PM

Post #13 of 41 (4531 views)
Shortcut

LOL! Laugh erm, me not sure leh... but if it is... then this is a good tactic lar! Cool Wink

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

CasperSkywalker

Oct 3, 2003, 12:11 AM

Post #14 of 41 (4528 views)
Shortcut

Ai_ney,

what is the procedure to foster a puppy ? is it same as the adoption procedure where the SPCA staff will pay a visit to the house ?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 1:00 AM

Post #15 of 41 (4522 views)
Shortcut

eh...ur posts confusing me Crazy

You said it's a new program. Then u said the staff has been doing it all the while...Crazy

Do u mean, it's a new program in a sense it's open to the public? Wink

hehe....if they love dogs enough, they'll be determined to do anything~ Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

JolinG
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 1:46 AM

Post #16 of 41 (4519 views)
Shortcut

oh alrite.....holiday coming soon

if my beckside to itchy...will try to go there n see how lar!...

then can contact u latersWink

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 3:54 AM

Post #17 of 41 (4516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CasperSkywalker] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

hi... i also just got to know about this foster programme this week... not sure of the procedure... so do call up SPCA to find out... speak to either Melissa or Catherine...

i'll try to ask more info about this in Sunday if i'm there...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 3:58 AM

Post #18 of 41 (4515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

confusing meh? Crazy u got it right after all what! Cool

they just started the Angels' Foster Club for public... the staff had been doing it, but to 'selected' pups only... so now if more ppl like u (wink, wink) come forward to help out, then more pups can be saved... Angelic

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

naushika
Novice

Oct 3, 2003, 6:17 AM

Post #19 of 41 (4508 views)
Shortcut

hi a ney...im very keen and interested in this fostering program..but just wondering wat is the procedures...very afraid that im not qualified...when my bf 1st told me about this program...im so exicted..really really excited...after reading the post.. i feel like going to spca staright away....hai..:( really hope that i can be a foster mum and give those puppy a good home....:((

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 8:52 AM

Post #20 of 41 (4505 views)
Shortcut

o0oh.....ok

just started for the public... Smile

i'll try lar..but doubt my dad would allow. Dad already making noise abt Kaizer. lol

hmm...i think i might hv someone in mind though.. Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 8:57 AM

Post #21 of 41 (4505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naushika] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there... Smile

i do not know what procedure is involved, coz this is new to me too... erm... why don't u call up SPCA to enquire more about it... or i could ask them when i'm there this sunday, and then i'll post the procedures here...

but since u r really keen... call them fast fast and ask lar! Cool then the sooner u can foster some puppies! Angelic

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

naushika
Novice

Oct 5, 2003, 4:49 AM

Post #22 of 41 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Dear all ,

I was there at SPCA this morning to ask about the foster program...Here is how it goes....

Arrived there at 13:00 with my housemate (we are undergrads students) was full of excitement when we reached there.

Walked around there for almost 45 mins giving out dog biscuits to the dogs .....

One staff came to approach us and asked what / how she can help .... so I was very happy to say that I would love to know more about the foster program ... she then referred me to Melissa but unfortunately she was busy. Then another staff came and asked us a few questions such as the one below:

1) Do you have any experience in taking care dog(s)?

2) How many ppl staying ? Where you staying ? What type of house ?

3) Do you know what to give to the pups ?

4) Will you be around in the day ?

After much talking , she agreed to let me foster a pup for 2 weeks and asked me to fill in the form....I WAS SOOOOO HAPPY !!!!!

BUT.....after looking for a suitable pup , suddenly she came to me and told me that tomorrow is sunday and many ppl will come over to see the dogs so there might be a chance for them to be adopted...I understand the situation and i dun mind at all because i always hope the best for the dogs there...i even offered to come over again tomorrow.

When we were on the way back , suddenly another staff came to us and asked us how is the thing going on....we told her about it and she then asked us one question : " ARE YOU STUDENT ? "

Our answer was of course "YES" and guess what happened next ? WE (STUDENT) are like some kind of 'bad guys' , we were asked to fill the registration form AGAIN ... and she told almost all the staff there that 'THEY ARE STUDENT, CANNOT FOSTER ONE LAH '..... We felt so bad as if we have done anything wrong being a student.

I think I really don;t understand is.....WHY being a student cannot foster a dog ? Why must 'discriminate' the students ? Working ppl wont be at home during day ...so can they foster a dog ? I dun think so, plus who else can do it ? housewife ? We personally think that they have better things to do such as cleaning the house , taking care their children etc...

They (SPCA) might think that we might not serious about it but we have been there for many times offering food for the dogs and definitely have experience in taking care more than a pup.

We were very dissapointed with the 'treatment' received ... they make us feel like we are second grade citizen which is not qualified...

We are so eager to help but........

well, this is not the 1st time already, there were once where We donated some books to SPCA and guess what the staff said to us ? "WE DONT NEED THIS AS THERE ARE NO VALUE...NOBODY WILL BUY IT" but my intention was to donate it to SPCA so that they can sell it to old newspaper ppl as i believe books (white paper)will get more money than old newspaper.

Not all of them are bad but then I am pretty upset with the way we received the treatment today.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 5, 2003, 6:22 AM

Post #23 of 41 (4480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naushika] Angels' FOSTER Club [In reply to] Can't Post

hi naushika,

so the final decision by SPCA is that u cannot foster a pup because u r a student?

i would like to try to understand things from SPCA's perspective, but sometimes i really cannot accept the way the things are done there.

i am really disappointed. here i am trying to help by telling ppl about the foster programme, and there u r wanting to help by fostering a pup. so good news rite? apparently no.

i do agree with u. if a student cannot foster, then who can? definitely not ppl like me who needs to work, not housewives as they have a household and children to look after, so why not students?

well maybe they are not sure of your 'capability' of taking care of a pup, as they do not know u. maybe they think u could be someone who thinks a pup is just a cute 'toy', but may not know much about providing care for a pup. this is the only valid reason i could think of as to why a student cannot foster. but then again, they could always ask and obtain more information from u. and the way u were questioned and treated is not something new, but definitely something that they must change.

they need help, but they are not helping us to help them.

i shouldn't be talking about SPCA here the way i am now. but i am frustrated here. would like to ask them more about this tomorrow when i'm there.

Unimpressed
Sookie's Photo Gallery

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 5, 2003, 11:08 AM

Post #24 of 41 (4474 views)
Shortcut

hmph.. if that is the case, so me also can't qualify to foster puppies loooo

if they could let students help out as volunteers.. they shouldn't look differently at them as irresponsible dog owners because everyone should be given a fair chance in keeping a dog.

don't be dissapointed though, i'm sure that they had their reasons in thinking such a way.. perhaps students came to adopt dogs from SPCA last time and did a terrible job in caring for the dogs.

SPCA is strict indeed and obviously this strictness is all for the good of the dogs (i mean, they could just simply approve anyone to adopt the dogs and just clear up the kennels).

hope u get a good answer from them tomorrow.

naushika
Novice

Oct 5, 2003, 11:02 PM

Post #25 of 41 (4468 views)
Shortcut

hi ai ney...they didnt tell me straight that i cannnot foster a puppy...but they tell me in such a way, giving me hint that im not qualify to foster a puppy...but somehow i heard from one of the staff saying they are student cannot adopt

my housemate and i, four of us went they...hoping to foster a puppy...all of us have experience handling puppies...we know we are not for long term commitment therefore we wanted to foster a puppy..to give good care of them...there are 6 of us in a house..we definitely have time and love for the puppy...we know we are capable then only we went for the foster program..we not play play...:) if we are play play,y must we go there almost every week...give dog food, take photo, grooming??/(casperskywalker is one of my housemate)?if we are play play,y must we bring dog cage from house, prepare milk bottle??all sort of thing and effort???

yes...may be they have bad experience with some student and wrking ppl b4...but not all of the working ppl and student are the same...how can they make such a conclusion??how can they judge ppl just like that?? i think every body should have a equal change..same goes to the doggies...if the SPCA's target is only the housewife..then the chances of the doggies getting adopt is very very slim...:(((dont u think so???

moreover, i have told them..we will be having holidays in a week times...all of us will be at home...even when class start...not all of us will leave the house..at least 1 or two ppl will be at home..as each of our schedule will be different...and the longest time we will be away in college is just about 4 hours...see each of us have so much of time....i really dont understand!!FrownFrown

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my