Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: Dogs for Adoption at SPCA:
SPCA petition for better laws to protect animals in malaysia

alicia
Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2004, 11:35 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2574 views)
Shortcut
SPCA petition for better laws to protect animals in malaysia Can't Post

please go to spca.org.my to sign their petition. it only takes a few seconds.

also, as a note to those who wish to adopt from the SPCA, please be careful. while i fully support the work they do and i do not blame them for the following events, there are problems within the organisation which need to be addressed.

while speaking on the phone to them today, i was told, as i suspected already that adoption fees for a standard orange and white local cat is RM50. i was charged RM 150 for going with my 'gwei lo' husband. also, poor Mel is FIV positive. A serious and eventually fatal condition ( and potentially costly), which they do not check for. mel is now completely housebound with my three dogs and i have a very disillusioned husband.
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

paulynn
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2004, 3:20 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] SPCA petition for better laws to protect animals in malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

hey alicia,

FIV is indeed fatal and incurable and it's hard to "put the blame" on spca for not checking the cat first before giving it to you.I know u're not putting the blame on spca but i'm just trying to explain things. Not siding anyone but if u've adopted a local stray cat then it's rather predictable that it'll be a FIV carrier eventhough they are fully vacc. Fiv can only be checked at private clinics as the clinic at spca only provides basic checkups for animals in spca. As for the adoption Rm150 could be the reason that your kitty's a pure breed mixed. If u don't wnat to put mel down, u can try get the sterilizer from a vet. My friend's cat has FIV too and he's doing fine as they're giving them medication treatment every now and then.Costly but they don't want to put it down.

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Jul 7, 2004, 8:25 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2541 views)
Shortcut
Re: Hi Alicia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Alicia!

So sorry to hear that your cat is FIV+. If you want to discuss about your cat, please join us here in the cat forum.

alicia
Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2004, 5:13 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] SPCA petition for better laws to protect animals in malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

what is the sterilizer? what does it do?

why is your friends cat on medication?

I'm not blaming them for not checking. I understand that it is both expensive and difficult to check. and I'm SURE that Mel is a local cat. my vet says so too. i'm not puttin ghim down though. he is the sweetest creature ever, aside from when he is bossing the three dogs around.
Alicia Ling Horsley

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

alicia
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2004, 11:46 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] SPCA petition for better laws to protect animals in malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

just a note to the people who have been reading this thread.

the spca called me and assured me that the adoption fee for mel was not a mistake and there was no discrimination going on.

for those of you considering adopting a pet from the SPCA, please don't take my post as a warning against them as it was not meant to be. I just wanted more info and clarification as i kept getting mixed answers from SPCA staff.

at the end of the day, the work they do is invaluable and a few minor problems here and rthere should not stop us from supporting such a worthy establishment.
Alicia Ling Horsley

Pat

Aug 12, 2004, 11:56 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alicia,

I missed you in the last trip. Was wondering how to get in touch with you. I started my baby music and movement thingy and would like to invite you and little Berne for a free demo in Bangsar Baru. Please reply to info@kidztalent.com as soon as you see this mail. The first class is commencng 14 Aug and there is an early bird promo on that day.

Rgds,

Pat, David, baby Clarissa and

furkids Kiki and Benito

www.kidztalent.com
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Zazi
Novice

Sep 17, 2004, 9:29 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alicia,

there's a chance that your cat may develop immunity to it just as some people develop anti bodies to hep.b... Felv is definetely not a death sentence in some cases.

there's a wealth of info at some of these links groups.yahoo.com/group/FeLVPositiveCats/ and definitely visit www.felineleukemia.org/ (which has tons of info!) Another site is: www.felineleukemia.com/main.html There are medications thatc an keep it under control as well. Which vet do you go to?

alicia
Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zazi] SPCA petition for better laws to protect animals in malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the info. will look it up. btw, mel is actually very healthy and seems to be thriving. as he is not aggressive, our vet says it's ok for him to wander about so he is living a pretty normal life aside from that fact that he has three doggies body guards.
Alicia Ling Horsley

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my