View Results (315 votes)

musashi
ALPHA

Jun 15, 2004, 5:24 AM

Post #51 of 78 (18810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicehc1980] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Your dog bite your shoes coz he is boring and feel ignored. Did you buy him any toys to bite ? Give him some toys and I think he will stop biting your shoes....Sly

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Jun 15, 2004, 7:43 AM

Post #52 of 78 (18809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicehc1980] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

halo.. i do this on taro.. hope it work with u also...

when he chew on ur shoes.. tell him NO and push him away.. give him his chew toy.. once he bite ont his toy... sayang him kuat kuat.... if really canot stop.. try to put some lime juice... and take the shoes for him to chew purposly... my taro will stop chew on that thing after i let him know it is lime juice there... but not sure can it work with others doggie... but can try lah hehe...

taro also no more energy to chew on things after i play and train him every evening...

hmm maybe taro is still young.. so it is abit easy to control.. hope he will not be notti once he grow up lah! bless me ok! hehe

(This post was edited by Bull Lover on Jun 15, 2004, 7:45 AM)

alicehc1980
Novice

Jun 21, 2004, 10:31 AM

Post #53 of 78 (18783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bull Lover] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

thank for you all suggestion! i really get toys for her to chew! but it still like to bite shoes. may b i busy on working these few day. my furkid start to bite cloth. may b it really feel boring lah! coz it still a puppy. But i will try to use LEMON.....he...he... THANK

goldilock
Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #54 of 78 (18483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Physical Punishment, i vote not sure coz if got chance i wont punish or hurt them Frown

they seems so innocent to me and i treat them just like my kids . how can the parents punish their kids? in the heart they sure will give many excuses for not to punish them isnt it? Tongue

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 8, 2005, 12:45 AM

Post #55 of 78 (17981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edser] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

To beat the dog does not help and certainly the dog will not learn anything, just getting scared and/or timid.

They can't link your anger to the wrong behavior, e.g. you call your dog and he/she does not come. You keep on calling until he/she finally shows up. You beat the dog because you are exhausted and frustrated. What does the dog learnt? He called and I did come and I got beating, so better stay away from him.

You beat your dog and he/she gets scared of your hand. The next time you want to give a lovely touch and he/she might snap at your hand because the last time it did hurt.

I know it is very difficult to stay calm when he/she does not listen and refused to learn. Try something else instead (to finish with a positive experience the session). Try again in a few days time and you might be more lucky.

Always remember, we don't speak "dog" but expect them to understand us.

edser

Jun 12, 2005, 12:23 AM

Post #56 of 78 (17967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

In agreement but there is a lot of ways and meaning or expression of beating. I do not personally agree to means way of physical punishment. i think i love them overmuch that a light pat is all it need.Wink

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 13, 2005, 7:15 PM

Post #57 of 78 (17951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edser] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is just fine and I see that you have toy breed dogs. They should not give you any reason for punishment.

By the way, it is not just love that I do not beat my dog. It is simple common sense. I don’t gain or achieve anything by beating a dog. Any training is faster and more likely to have a success when conducted with love and lots of praise. Sometimes a little bribery with a treat works and on other days a small game will do the trick.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jun 14, 2005, 4:16 AM

Post #58 of 78 (17943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

ofcoz i don;t beat my dog, coz i just love her so much that i will surely forgive her no matter what she had done wrong.

but occasionally... erm i think oftenly, i tend to threaten her.. do u think this will bring negative effect also.?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 14, 2005, 6:35 PM

Post #59 of 78 (17933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, when your dog did something wrong then it is YOUR fault. You did not train your dog and/or made it absolutely clear to her.

What do you achieve when you threaten your dog? A simple & firm NO will normally do the job.

Try to train her by using love, treats and lots of praise, but treats and praise give ONLY when she has done it correctly.

Make sure that when you give the command that she is doing it. You are the “alpha-dog” and pack leader.

Ensure that you end any training session with a positive experience. Give a command she surely knows to do, so that training always ends with a success.

If you can follow those steps then you will not see her doing anything wrong again (except some occasional accidents around the house).

Beauty_n_Lee
Novice

Jun 22, 2005, 10:10 PM

Post #60 of 78 (17904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
well...i settle for both "yes" and "no".
"yes"-minor physical punishment is essential for learning. you know,like how our parents hit us when we did something wrong...

"no"-if the physical punishment causes unbearable pain and injuries.

I agree with icezcream. My hubby beat Beauty slightly with rollup newspaper when she is behaving naughty. Real naughty like clawing on our newly painted car porch wall and ripping off a plastic strip on the car door! of course my hubby will get mad. Carry her into a corner and lecture her.hahaha! Sly But after that i'll sayang Beauty back as always. The funny thing is even after all the beating and lecturing, Beauty still looks as eager to please my hubby and always wagging her tail. Wink

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jun 23, 2005, 2:07 AM

Post #61 of 78 (17900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beauty_n_Lee] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Me also ler
For me, my punishment is simply
A roll of newspaper and then a slight wack...then confide in a corner for few hours until he know he did something wrong...And he will learn from it. For me to use newspaper because i try to hit in on me, not pain but the sound is WOW..loud...that get my dog attention.
I can list thing Bobby and Benjy will get punish for
only one in particular..is this one.

CHASING CAR, BIKE OR ANY THING THAT IS 4 WHEELS IS FrownFrown <-- because it is dangerous two both party

Showing teeth and growl to my guest, i have them too socialize for now they dont even bark at stranger only wagging tail..<-- dont know why, they only bark to ppl they dont like n most of them i also dont like Tongue

aggressive and fighting with our brother or others dog. also a FrownFrown action. That why we go JT to socialize with other dog.. But this is never been a problem Laugh They love to play with other dog..

Frown

Beauty_n_Lee
Novice

Jun 24, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #62 of 78 (17895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

luckily Beauty doesn't chase cars or anything. and dunno if her previous owner socialize her or not but she doesn't bark at strangers and everyone also she wag tail. Crazy and she only barks at dogs if they start barking first. so is she considered an angel Angelic or not? Smile her only problem is chewing and clawing wall! Mad oh and jumping on me !!

we've reduced the punishment already, maybe becoz she has learned her lessons or maybe gone bored chewing slippers.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2005, 2:54 AM

Post #63 of 78 (17894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beauty_n_Lee] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

My punishment to my dog is only one in the blue moon..This is because when i am angry, i am vey angry, that make my dog scare of me Tongue
If your dog continue to chew your dog, i teach you a way, it might so cruel but it work and normally cure all the pain, if she chew, catch her act in one spot, then use the roll of newspaper and hit gently, i mean really gentle at her mouth, and show her the thing she chew, and say a strong firm voice of "NO". This will take few lesson and lost of few shoe for her to learn. Smile
If this didnt work, try this, normally i never go to here before but my friend do, when she doing the chewing thing again, rub pepper or chilli powder to her mouth and show her the thing she chew and repeat again the "NO".
Normally in this stage, they really phobia bitting and chewing stuff. This might be cruel but you still have to let your dog know who is the master and there is rule to obey. But at the same time, love is must be part of it.
Then for the jumping,it easier, work on my GSD and my mixed breed, when she jump, turn your back to her and said "NO" or "BAD" which ever you feel suitable. When you turn your back, the dog have no fun liao.
If that doesnt work, when she did that, push her away gentle or put her down and said "NO". When she didnt jump, praise her.
hope it work ya..This is how i train my furkid..But they sill being rascal once in awhile..

roki_roki
Novice

Oct 6, 2005, 4:17 AM

Post #64 of 78 (17765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicky_spykeaz] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly I'll shout NO. But if it still do it, I will eventually whack it.Pirate

tengteng
Novice

Oct 6, 2005, 10:44 AM

Post #65 of 78 (17765 views)
Shortcut

I'd say NO in general as I think dogs will listen to you and look up to you as their owner/leader. Some dogs generally get into trouble as they as too active/bored and do not get enough exercise. But at the same time I think that a light tap on the butt by the side of the leg doesn't hurt when they really get too out of hands as you are just letting them know they are really out of hands. That is the only time I'd say yes to physical punishment-a light tap by the side of their hind legs using my hands and NOTHING else. I never really had problems with the dogs I have had. The only dog with problem was a dog that got into an accident when he was a puppy coz he somehow sneaked out from the compound eventhough it was fenced up properly so when he was recovering and recovered we spoilt him out of guilt and before we knew, he was out of hands! But I guess it is never too late to train a dog. Just need more patience that is all.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 9, 2006, 9:21 PM

Post #66 of 78 (17268 views)
Shortcut

For me it is 'Yes' & 'No'. Sometimes, it is very difficult to say which one is better to correct our dogs. The problem is, if we don't beat for what it has done wrong, it is thinking, "Oh, my master doesn't mind me doing it, so I just go on lah...!"

When just scolding a dog without beating, for some dogs it goes into their brains but for some, they'll not listen at all! So what's the next step? Beat lah! I mean, you don't have to do it hard at all, just a little smack on their butts or pull their ears is good enough. Sometimes, yes we do loose out tempers & we might not be able to control ourselves just like me for instance, I'm already in a bad mood my dog did something wrong, i just can't help it but beat it up! It happens to you too I know...I'm not the only one here.

So, it's a 'Yes' & 'No' for me. It does work when you beat & smetimes it also works when you jsut scold. Nowadays, I try to control myself & not beat my dogs coz it'll just make them scared of me. And I don't want that to happen...They might think I don't love them anymore but sometimes, they've got to understand why I've done it...Sigh! Dogs, dogs, dogs...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2006, 6:37 PM

Post #67 of 78 (17264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

i used 2 beat my kinki too.....but d outcome is, she get scare of me sometimes....

luckily pacco is better...i mean i manage to communicate with her better......when i scold or stare @ her, she'll get scare n timidly return to me, becoz she knows tat i will not beat her......as i didn't do any physical punishment since d day i got her....

mostly i use mental punishment like staring, ignoring or confining her.....

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Nov 10, 2006, 6:39 PM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 10, 2006, 7:53 PM

Post #68 of 78 (17258 views)
Shortcut

What's very funny is, Amber's usually scared when I get angry with her even if I don't raise my voice, just by calling out her name & putting my arms on my waist, she knows she's gona get it. But I don't beat her, she'll sneak up in front of me and sit. And will lick my hand saying sorry...People at my training plc seen this happening before & said she's a very good girl. For my Faith, gggggrrrrr! She runs away thinking we want to play with her.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2006, 1:32 AM

Post #69 of 78 (17253 views)
Shortcut

mayb u juz can't expect 2 diff breed of dog to hv d same kind of behaviour...

golden is meant to more obedient....in fact, ppl tends to rate golden as d most obedient dog among all other breed....

so probably for a dalmation, owner gotta put in more effort.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 11, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #70 of 78 (17249 views)
Shortcut

Yes Goldens are one of the most intelligent & obedient dog in this world. But not mecessary ALL are...There's no 100% Goldens in this world that are as good as they are supposed to be. Not saying Amber's not inteligent, she is but just a little disobedient. There'sno perfect dog in this world!

I'm not expecting them both to be exactly the same. I'm happy the way Amber is right now. I'm happy the way Faith is right now is just that it is very dabgerous for her to run off like that, even to the main road! What can I do...? Faith's as intelligent as Amber but doesn't bother pleasing her owner as much as Amber does. Faith's handled by my mum so she's softer with her even to Amber. I'm not. I'm more the serious type when it comes to training...If Faith was our 1st dog & I paid more attention training as much as I am doing to Amber, she'll be perfect! A good canine citizen! LOL!!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2006, 1:03 AM

Post #71 of 78 (17245 views)
Shortcut

ofcoz no dog r perfect.....u can't expect a golden to be so obedient, until they might resemble a robot...

as for running of d road, i don't think i'll trust any dog in tat ever. in my lifetime....no matter how obedient they r....

i think faith is more of a active n high drive dog...which is good n u can concentrate more in things that require more energy, coz i remember u mentioned tat amber can get tired rather easily....

so mayb amber dominate d OB n faith dominate d agility.....Wink

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 12, 2006, 9:38 PM

Post #72 of 78 (17242 views)
Shortcut

Errrr...something like that. Amber does get tired easily than Faith but she enjoys doing somthing I tell her to do besides OB when I have her ball in my hands. Honestly, I think Amber's making herself damn bored when it comes to OB training coz she just HATES IT!!! All Faith wants is to be with Amber. That's it! When let go offleash during agility, she runs back to Amber. When during OB class, Faith's in a diff class, so she would whine and whine and whine to go back to Amber. When we just bring Amber our for a walk or for a ride in the car, she would sit in the porch starring outside looking miserable & whine and whine and it goes on UNTIL...she comes back! You know lah, Dalmatians tend to be disobedient at times & are not the type to actually please their owners. Not like Goldens....

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 13, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #73 of 78 (17240 views)
Shortcut

i would say mostly YES and at certain time NO (depends on situation)...

usually when they did something wrong, all I need to do is to call their name in an angry tone of voice, they will stop the action and will walk away d...but sometimes, when they choose to ignore me, usually I only need to put my hands on my waist and walk towards them...usually it works that way...

but there are some very rare occasion whereby they really get naughty and ignore me totally (ke si ke si like din hear me)..so i'l just go n whack their backside lightly...but usually very rare la for me to do dat...coz after dat, i heartache pulak!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2006, 11:24 PM

Post #74 of 78 (17233 views)
Shortcut

how old of faith? mayb she haven't mature yetLaugh ....but training faith can be more challenging, right?

btw....every1 shld knows tat dogs dislike OB......same as d owner too....i can lost patient when i train OB....when my dog kenot sit squarely n kenot do a straight down position....i feel so frustrated....

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 14, 2006, 3:19 AM

Post #75 of 78 (17229 views)
Shortcut

Faith's gona turn 9mth soon. Neither have Amber matured yet! There's nothing to do whether she has matured or hasn't matured yet, it comes to whether she's obedient or not. Faith can do off leash OB with me only not with my mum or anybody else. For me, as long they go sit & go down when i tell them too, is good enuf for me. Do it fast not slowly....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my