Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Poll: Poll:
If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ?
Yes
No
Not Sure
View Results (278 votes)

osmpam
Novice

Feb 14, 2005, 12:45 AM

Post #26 of 55 (23834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

mmm.. spayin/neurterin definitely helps in your doggy's health, in the sense that he/she will not develop sex-related-diseases i.e. infections, cancers, etc.. which is a very common health problem in middle or old-aged doggies..

besides.. we can help reduce the possiblity of more stray puppies born on the street, consequently grow to become a problem/fright to the society, and later put into animal shelters (if not run down by cars, or etc etc).. and if not adopted, they will be "humanely" killed. isn't it sad?

as responsible doggy owners, we MUST.. ensure tat if we're not intending to keep the to-be-born pups (or be responsible to get them good owners), our doggies do not mate at all. for the doggies' sake.. ;)

3dogz2luv
New User

Apr 25, 2005, 7:41 AM

Post #27 of 55 (23754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I would have been asked this one year ago, I would have said no. However, with my recent experience with my shep.mix, my answer is now ABSOLUTELY!!

She developed the begining stages of Pyrometra. Which is an infection in the uterus after the heat cycle is complete. The uterus fills with toxic puss which could burst at any time. I had never heard of this. All of the sudden her bahavior dramatically changed, lathargic - not eating - , so we took her to the vet where she was xrayed.

My reasons for never spaying Athena was because i could not bear her having to undergo surgery, or be away from me for more than a second. However, this condition IS fatal. Once the dog has this, surgery cant just take care of it. You cant just go in and remove the uterus because in this process the surgery could cause the uterus to burst and then the toxic puss would be all through the dogs body. Very scary. We were devastated.

With prayer on our side, we had her take antibiotics, and to the vet's surprise, it cleared up. But of course she is now an open target to get this again. So this is why we have decided to spay her. The surgery is so simple, the actual surgery only takes 15 minutes. For us, spaying our pet is the best decision for us, but more importantly, the best decesion for her.

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 5, 2005, 3:20 AM

Post #28 of 55 (23677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, if i have my own pet & not planning to breed, will spay/neuter. this is benefitial. my cat will going for spaying soon. heard tht there is a new skill whereby spaying as early as 2 months, was told lesser risk & faster recovery.

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 6, 2005, 5:28 AM

Post #29 of 55 (23472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ello

I opt not spaying ot neutering coz I dun feel right to alter what God has created... however I do think that being responsible of ur furkids is very important if I do not have intentions to breed... my girls are confined indoors during the entire period of their heat & are strap on trainer pants to prevent staining the house...

On the issue of health, it remains a controversy for me... I have had experience of a neutered pet suffering from bad skin condition after the surgery to remove its reproductive organs... I later learn that the reproductive organ has other functions besides the main function... the absence of this organ has cut off the ability for its body to provide essential substance which is benificial to the skin... Frown Unsure ...was a very sad experince...

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 9, 2006, 9:08 PM

Post #30 of 55 (23061 views)
Shortcut

I do want to use my dogs for breeding but since Amber has hip prob, I shouldn't use her but for Faith we might. But if we don't want to, we probably might spay them. But the prob is, females tend to put on weight after spaying & I can't take that risk for both of my dogs. For my Amber, it'll just make her problem worse & my Faith suppose to have a slim streamline body, if she does put on weight, she;ll look terribly awful!!! In the other hand, if I don't spay them after their fourth or fifth heat, they might get uterus infection. They can't just get their period all their life. So this is a big decision we have to make...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2006, 6:40 PM

Post #31 of 55 (23056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

pacco is a spayed female, yet u must notice that she is really slim.....so no worries, it depends on how d owner feed d dog..Wink

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 10, 2006, 7:48 PM

Post #32 of 55 (23051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all dogs will stay slim after spaying. I'm now feeding Amber very little! We use a fist size cup not the standard 8oz cup. And once a day, she's still slightly plumpish. Just weighed her yesterday & she has already lost 1kg and now is 29kg. See how difficult to make her loose weight? We also can't cut her food down drastically, it's like starving her...So, see 1st lah if we want to spay her or not.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2006, 8:10 PM

Post #33 of 55 (23049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith,Amanda85] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed.
Silky used to be nice and slim. After spaying,she put on a tonne of weight and lost her drive Unsure She used to be really fast doing agility..now,with her lack of drive,she's not as good as she used to be.
I'm all for spaying but after this experience,I'm a little apprehensive.
It is still a decision I'm thinking abt for my other female,Hazel. Currently we just seperate her from the other males when she is on heat. So far so good,but there is the risk of infection.Frown

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 10, 2006, 9:25 PM

Post #34 of 55 (23048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Amber does get spayed & does ever get fat, I honestly don't know what to do! usually, after spaying OR neutering, the dogs fur will not be as smooth & shine as before. It'll be course & fluffy. Also, if we don't spay our dogs, by the fifth heat, there's bound to be problems-uterus infection, then must go for operation. So which one is better? Let my dogs become huge fat pigs or get uterus infection? Honestly, which one would you choose???

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2006, 1:24 AM

Post #35 of 55 (23045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

'Not all dogs will stay slim after spaying'.....but not all dogs will turn out fat too.....Wink

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2006, 1:27 AM

Post #36 of 55 (23043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm.....is tat really silky lost her drive after she spayed??Frown

but pacco is still crazy as ever.....still find it hard 2 control her speed....

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 11, 2006, 4:45 AM

Post #37 of 55 (23040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] If you do not intent to breed your dog, are you infavour of spaying or neuter them ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I've said,all dogs willturn out different...Your still crazy & te Silky's calm down alot. Amber cannot slow down as she's gota do dancing & agility with me! Heee heee...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2006, 1:34 AM

Post #38 of 55 (23037 views)
Shortcut

yeah, u oso agree tat all dogs r diff....then y ever1 tends to claim tat spayed dog will get fat n loss d drive...Crazy

btw, i think u shld use faith in agility instead of amber wit HD....coz she kenot do a high jump

i think faith had a better potential wit her speed n drive...

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 12, 2006, 9:29 PM

Post #39 of 55 (23035 views)
Shortcut

Oh no no no, surprisingly, Amber's doing much much better than Faith. Infact, enjoying herself better than Faith! And also can do it offleash...Faith tends to run off.

All dogs are different. Amber has slimmed down now to 28kg but that's becoz of the drastic diet! That's why we can't say whether Amber & faith's gona get fat or not after spaying. Buit what if one of them do? What am I gona do....? I can;t down a food anymore to a handful...We'll see, we'll see 1st. Anyway they both are still young, there'stime for them. Can't spay them now...

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 13, 2006, 10:03 PM

Post #40 of 55 (23035 views)
Shortcut

i will spay my dog...in fact, i already did...

i truly agree with some of the members here....spay/neuter is for the better health of our furkids and my believe is, there is no such thing as 'cruel' because we take away their rights...

my thinking is, unlike human, animals don really feel 'incomplete' because they cant give birth etc. In fact, spayed/neutered dogs are more homely.

i spayed my 2 dogs when they were 6 months old and they are up and running on the second day when i brought them home...din notice any change in behaviour or any sadness due to the surgery...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2006, 11:36 PM

Post #41 of 55 (23031 views)
Shortcut

yeah, amber might be more obedient for agility n manage to do it offleash...

but for agility maxi class, jump are set around 16 inches high.....can amber do tat?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 14, 2006, 2:29 AM

Post #42 of 55 (23027 views)
Shortcut

She will be able to do it but it's not encouraged. She can do long jump though...For Faith she doesn't leap across the hurdle. She floats across it with all four paws in the air...so funny!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2006, 6:55 PM

Post #43 of 55 (23022 views)
Shortcut

as long as she manage to pass thru it, then u don't need 2 care wat method she use...Laugh

basic jumper class can b done wit leash, so faith can stand a great chance of bagging d prize...Wink

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 16, 2006, 7:24 PM

Post #44 of 55 (23017 views)
Shortcut

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.
Right now..I guess I'm leaning towards spaying her. I suppose her health superceeds my desire for her to be slim and very active. I don't think Hazel will mind being on the heavy side lol!
I think dogs getting fat is much better than cancer. Unsure Uterus cancer/Pyometra sounds awfully painful!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 16, 2006, 7:36 PM

Post #45 of 55 (23014 views)
Shortcut

Not sure if "everyone" is claiming that their dog gets fat and loses their drive...coz I know there are some that hv no differece (like pacco) and others like silky.
I was very much into agility when she was young. Back then,the sport was very new and they didn't have enough ppl to open a class Frown
So i built my own mini agility course and I loved to see how fast she was. Given,at the time I was not to concerned abt touvh points la...so it was abit messy haha but I was wht? 8? Fast was good enough
Tongue
Then it was time for her to get spayed. She lost her drive due to the surgery but I was waiting for it to recover and come back...but it nvr did Unsure So for her to lose tht....very "sam tong"...but I suppose it's much better than succumbing to cancer.

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 16, 2006, 8:25 PM

Post #46 of 55 (23013 views)
Shortcut

hi,

you are rite...i think it depends on individual dog...i spayed my sasha too...well...i wouldn't say she is getting fatter, but i would say she has stopped being a picky eaterWink before this, she is very picky..but after spay, i guess she has more appetite...so i think it is a good thing...

as for the 'drive', i guess it depends too...don see any changes in sasha...still love to jump and run around...

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 17, 2006, 12:07 AM

Post #47 of 55 (23002 views)
Shortcut

It's okay...

Since Amber's still young...We probably might spay her when she's three or four years old. I need Amber to be active & slim right now. yes, uterus infction is not a nice thing for a dog to have...LOL!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 21, 2006, 6:35 PM

Post #48 of 55 (22991 views)
Shortcut

u actually own lotsa dogs, rite? probably u might consider using another to train 4 agility....Cool

zen
Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2006, 11:23 PM

Post #49 of 55 (22990 views)
Shortcut

well i think its depends on ur dog. like mine, i neurtered my Benjamin. All my friends said Im so cruel for doin it. but I just want the best for my pup.

Doc said his "male behavior" too strong, kinda aggressive & danger when grow up, so recommended us to neurter Ben Ben. So we took the risk, 50/50. He is totally ok after the surgery, wont depress or wat, still very active & playful. I hav to say that he is more well behave & more manja....more "teh" edy (female hormon)Wink. Benjamin like to lick us compare to bite, but he stil bite & chew sometimes Unsure...emotional i guess.

Anywhere, I nv feel regret for neutered him. its good for his health.

Benjamin, my baby boy 4ever

www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

(updated 21 Nov 2006)

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.

~Christopher Morley~

(This post was edited by zen on Nov 21, 2006, 11:30 PM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 27, 2006, 8:22 AM

Post #50 of 55 (22976 views)
Shortcut

Haha...no la...i noe alot of ppl who own more than meLaugh
Zoodle has great drive for agility but he lacks socialization so that may be a prob(can overcome) but tak syok la small dog....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my