Puppy coughing

aricalaw
Novice

May 26, 2005, 6:45 PM

Post #1 of 14 (629 views)
Shortcut
Puppy coughing Can't Post

Hi All,

I'm new here. I just got 2 shih tzu puppies yesterday from the pet shop. The brother started coughing not long after when we took him out from the cage in the petshop, and they said it's because of the weather change. He's still very active. The first night last night, the sister starts to cough as well, but both of them still very active and also finished their plates.

I just want to ask whether it is common for puppies to cough because of the weather change (it was raining and a bit cold), and how to make them well. Those in the petshop said no need medication yet as they are not sick, just more rest and keep them warm will do. I'm just worried about whether they will have any diseases, like kennel cough or distemper. Both of them not vaccined yet, first jab next week. Both are 9 weeks old.

Please help. Thanks.

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

May 26, 2005, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 14 (624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aricalaw] Puppy coughing [In reply to] Can't Post

hi...
if the coughing gettign worst and then there is a running nose and wet eyes..i am afradi it is the first sigh of distemper..but you can read more in this thread..

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1662;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

kwlean2002
Doggyman

May 26, 2005, 7:56 PM

Post #3 of 14 (620 views)
Shortcut

hi welcome !!!

the 1st jab should be at 6 week to 8 week, the 2nd & 3rd jab will ba a months notice !!!

like nicky said, if not getting better, take them to vet for checking la !

Goldii
Dog Kichi

May 26, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #4 of 14 (615 views)
Shortcut

Hi aricalaw,

Sad to hear about your pups' cough.

We had the same situation some time back and here is what we did.

Looks like their lungs have 'water' and are having some difficulty in coughing them out. At night, we put on a baby shirt to keep their body warm. No aircond room ya? And also place them in a warm shaded porch for 30 minutes every day and let the play but not tire out. Do nto let them take too much medication as their tiny livers are not strong yet.

Do not give them too much milk but some warm wet food such as oats.

It works

Hope this helps.

ps......give them lots of hugs too

Regards,

Goldii

aricalaw
Novice

May 26, 2005, 11:12 PM

Post #5 of 14 (600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Goldii] Puppy coughing [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll try that out. I put on the shirt for them, then at night, they just managed to take it out themselves. Crazy Put them on the warm cushion, they came out and just sleep on the floor. Ya, I didn't on my Aircon because of them.

About the distemper, I read about it too. Don't think they are this, their appetite is very good, no watery eyes or diarhae. Yes, I'm quite unhappy about the petshop too, they were supposed to give my puppies first jab, but kiki wasn't feeling well, didn't eat, so they didn't give her the jab. Now she's okay, they said give her some rest first, jab next week. Then mumu because of the cough, also don't jab first... Unsure I think I'll just bring them to the vet myself.

Goldii
Dog Kichi

May 27, 2005, 8:52 AM

Post #6 of 14 (592 views)
Shortcut

Hi aricalaw

Our 2 ST pups are 2 years old now and are healthy and happy as ever.

We kept the girl Xiao Mei whereas our boy Xiao Au has found an excellent home and loving it!

We are doing BARF (Bone and Raw Food) for Xiao Mei. It is everything back to basics. Less bungkus food and more of raw meat and bones. She has less allergy problems common to those who feed them cooked chicken meat and kibbles. We also let her eat a wide spectrum of fresh vegetables and fruits especially pulps, fresh from our juice extractor.

Occasionally some pieces of raw long beans, carrots, kacang botor, buah nona, durian belanda.....We skip onions and chocs as some say it is not good for dogs. A tea spoon of Manuka honey does real good. I hate to say this...we have totally stopped using processed treats and biscuits.

We believe that by going natural and less medicine especially antibiotics (only when the Vet says so..,) our Xiao Mei has less problems now than before. Her colors and coat condition have improved greatly.

Do try to get this book, " The Holistic Dog Book- Canine Care for the 21st Century " by Denise Flaim ISBN 0-7645-1763-5 Howel Book House-Wiley Publishing Inc. This book have really opened up our eyes to dog care. We regret that this book came out too late for the mistakes we have done to Xiao Mei's Daddy who left us 3 months ago due to poor health.

I am not promoting nor involved in selling this particular book. I was browsing around MPH at One Utama in July 2003 and this book caught my curiousity. Only after months of reading and seeking opinions from others in the net, I realised that this subject and method makes sense. We are doing it now and are very pleased with the results. If only I could turn the clock back to help Xiao Mei's Dad!

Anyway, give kiki and mumu extra love and care. Mother Nature have her ways to help our pets.

ps.....The picture on our Signature.....is Xiao Mei's Dad.

Cheers,

Goldii

a_evie
Doggyman

May 28, 2005, 5:34 AM

Post #7 of 14 (577 views)
Shortcut

great to hear of another ST owner barfing!

barfing our ST kiddo too..she loves it definitely much mroe than any processed food...but what matters most us that we've not seen her mange returning at all. amazing...whilst her other sibling who are on kibbles are having d attacks from time to time.

kibbles ...still can't do without them totally...they remain her emergency food when she's under d care of others.

Sydney
Doggyman

May 28, 2005, 6:07 PM

Post #8 of 14 (574 views)
Shortcut

Hi welcome first to the forumFrown.
Well, maybe your shih Tzu is just coughing bcs of the grass it ate b4 it was in the cage of the petshop. Caughing is common to dogs. If it's coughing so badly, then, send the pups to the vet.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

aricalaw
Novice

May 30, 2005, 6:08 PM

Post #9 of 14 (562 views)
Shortcut

Hi Goldii,

Thanks for your tips. I'll try that too! Yes, I believe that natural food is much better than processed food.

I brought Kiki and Mumu to the vet last Thursday as I was worried and don't want to guess anymore. Both of them had upper respiratory infections, and had to be under medication. Mumu was more serious, coughed a lot, Kiki didn't really cough too much. It was minor anyway, for both of them. I was quite upset with the petshop and also couldn't take care of them both at the same time. I gave Mumu back to the breeder where his mother is, so that both of us can take good care of mumu and kiki at the same time. I thought it would be better for all of us. I was quite sad when I had decided to give mumu back to them, but seemed like it's good for mumu.

Fed kiki with the med, and she stopped coughing the next day, but I continued to give her the medication for 3 days. She's now healthy and active, weight also increased. Smile

aricalaw
Novice

May 30, 2005, 6:14 PM

Post #10 of 14 (561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sydney] Puppy coughing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sidney,

Ya, I sent them to the vet. Both of them had upper respiratory infections. That's what I heard from the pet shop, it's common to have cough, it's the weather change... blah blah blah, but I didn't want to take the chance. Luckily I didn't.

ARL

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 30, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #11 of 14 (559 views)
Shortcut

how is kiki now? getting better? do you plan to take back mumu from the breeder?

aricalaw
Novice

May 30, 2005, 7:31 PM

Post #12 of 14 (553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] Puppy coughing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Toy,

Kiki is fine now. No, not going to take mumu back. I wanted mumu to keep kiki company, but they always fight, then I think I won't be able to good care to the both of them if I keep both of them. I know it's a bit unfair to mumu but the only consolation I have is that he gets to go back to his mother, I hope he'll be happier with them than with me.

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 30, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #13 of 14 (552 views)
Shortcut

yah, true also. although i plan to take in many dogs, but i still choose to take in 1 by 1 so that i can take good care & provide proper training for every of them. currently i have 1 maltese & might getting another 1 3 months later.

aricalaw
Novice

Jun 1, 2005, 1:43 AM

Post #14 of 14 (528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] Puppy coughing [In reply to] Can't Post

I like maltese too! but very expensive. Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my