IN

Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
New dog lover

carmine

Feb 28, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #1 of 21 (1688 views)
Shortcut
New dog lover Can't Post

BlushHello all ! My name is Carmen from USJ. I've just bought my first pet dog - a two-month-old female Beagle named Snowy. She is cute and adorable but she is not housebroken yet and always caught biting shoes.

As this is the first time i'm having a dog, I do not have much experiences training them and her 'pee and poo' has caused a lot of problems to me. Could that happened because she is still too young to understand where she should pee? Everytime she pees or poos inside the house, I will bring her out to the compound, where she should be doing that, and let her sniff on the housebreaking aid where I bought from pet shop. Will this help?

Anyway I'm glad to visit puppy.com.my and I'm looking forward to have lots of fun talking about dogs with all of you!

wkser
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 21 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carmine] New dog lover [In reply to] Can't Post

hi carmen ,

welcome to the forum.......you can read article in some of the post regards basic training in here it will help you to train up your beagle.......Wink

regards
kangser and nous

May
Old Hand

Feb 28, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #3 of 21 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Hi Carmine,

Welcome to the forum and congratulation for being a new mummy.

There are plenty of discussion on housebreaking your puppy in the training thread that could be useful to you.

Enjoy yourself here.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 7:31 PM

Post #4 of 21 (1676 views)
Shortcut

hi Carmen,

Welcome to the forum!

Excited to be 1st time dog owner? Smile

Just to inform you that please do not bring your pup. out for a walk while she's not finished all the 3 injections. ..otherwise she might catch some undesirable and/or deadly viruses..

Have fun!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

lulugurl
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 9:39 PM

Post #5 of 21 (1667 views)
Shortcut

heloo

welcome to the forum Smile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

drew
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #6 of 21 (1660 views)
Shortcut

heylo,

welcome and have fun here !~! Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 28, 2003, 11:49 PM

Post #7 of 21 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Hi Carmen~

A warm welcome from Mack!Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

jay_owl

Mar 1, 2003, 12:12 AM

Post #8 of 21 (1653 views)
Shortcut

hello carmen, welcome to this forum, i'm j, from usj too.

Beagle is a very cute dog, wish i hav one too but guess couln't coz i oredi hav 2 mongrels n 3 cats...Tongue unless mpsj gives me special treatment Laugh

cheers

j Smile wong

kbs
Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2003, 1:32 AM

Post #9 of 21 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Hi Carmine,

Many welcome to the forum.. Glad to know we have another beagle owner here. I own currently two beagle, snuffy (18 months female) and archie (5 months male).

House-Breaking takes alot of patience from us and am sure will be successful when time to come.

Regards,
KBS

carmine

Mar 1, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #10 of 21 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Thanx for all your advice, esp CD Moo and KBS. I am so glad to hear from all of you.

I went to MPSJ to have the dog license thing done. Is that actually nessasary because I was told by a few dog owners that they do not apply that for their dog.

I just took Snowy to the vet today for her second vaccination and deworm done. (The first vaccination was done before I bought her) The first vet clinic I consider to go was actually a vet clinic/ pet shop at Taipan USJ but the owner/workers over there told me that they will not sign or stamp my dog healthcare card after giving vaccination to her which made me kinda scared that they are not qualified vet. The vet clinic i eventually went was the one beside Pets Wonderland, Subang Parade called Healing Room. The vet there was rather professional and he gave a lot of advices and information to me as I'm new to this. Anyone knows a good vet clinic around Subang area?

I am so glad that Snowy went to the exact place where I taught her to pee today for her business. I immediately gave her treats. She had also learned the first trick I trained her today, which is the sit command. Everytime she listens to my command, I will reward her with a treat. I am actually kinda scared that she will become overweight by the time she learned all the tricks. Hahaha Laugh

cdmoo
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2003, 3:31 PM

Post #11 of 21 (1633 views)
Shortcut

hi Carmen,

There's a vet in SS18. The clinic is called 'Animal Clinic' or something, facing SS14.

THere's another one in SS15, same road as Magnum 4D..

There's one in Taipan, same road as VictoriaStation.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

hcyeap

Mar 1, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #12 of 21 (1630 views)
Shortcut

Hi Carmine,

welcome to the ranks of becoming a parent to a furkiddie...

happy to hear that your progress with Snowy is going on well. Do keep in mind, Kiddies have very short memory span especially at that age but as the months draws by, they improve at a very fast rate.

Try using Carrots, as an natural alternative to the commercial treats as it is much more economical, healthier as well as less fattening for Snowy.

hcyeap - daddy to Pepperboy Schnauzer

carmine

Mar 1, 2003, 11:33 PM

Post #13 of 21 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] New dog lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the suggestion, cd moo. I think the first vet i consider to go was the one at Taipan USJ which is located same row as Victoria Station.

I heard that the pet shop near 7-11 Taipan is rather reasonable. I am consider buying Snoway a 'Kong' toy since theres plenty of dog owners said its good. But I am kinda confused, is Kong a pet toy or what? because I heard that u can stuff food inside it. Is it true that puppy love them? I saw a few different Kong at pet shop but I dunnoe which one should I buy for my my beagle girl Snowy.

(This post was edited by carmine on Mar 1, 2003, 11:46 PM)

carmine

Mar 1, 2003, 11:49 PM

Post #14 of 21 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hcyeap] New dog lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your brilliant idea, hcyeap. But will carrot be a little bit too hard for her to chew? This is because the pet shop owner even asked me to feed her dog food together with water so that it will soften the food a bit. Is that actually nessasary?

cdmoo
ALPHA

Mar 2, 2003, 7:21 AM

Post #15 of 21 (1617 views)
Shortcut

hi,

That shop is quite reasonable.. You may ask the shop owner to recommend you a kong toy. I bought the 'King Kong' for my lab. U may visit its website for more info : http://www.kongcompany.com . There's a thread on 'Kong' in this forum, pls. use the search engine..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

hcyeap

Mar 2, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #16 of 21 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Dear Carmine,

some do while others don't. Kibbles are hard which means that Snowy will have to chew. Some puppies simply just swallows and this can cause them to vomit it out later. You could continue softening the kibbles in water at her current age and gradually reduces as she grows older. Eventually, she will undergo her 'teething' period, which would requires her to bite harder objects to loosen her baby teeth. This is one period, where you really have to watch your furniture.

Feeding furkiddies carrots is not uncommon as several of our members do that... ( read diet nutrition forum ) for further details. However, it differs from puppy to puppy. Even "Gardenia" bread is one of the more common food item which furkiddies love. Finding the right diet is a process of trail and error as what may be good for some may not neccessarily be good for another. Note that the commercial treats are usually extremely fattening if not controlled. In most cases, one biscuit is all they get in a day.

Hope this helps - hcyeap - daddy to Pepperboy Schnauzer

carmine

Mar 4, 2003, 2:10 AM

Post #17 of 21 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Bad news. Snowy was sick. Theres some blood in her poo today and the poo is very watery. I immediately took her to the vet. According to the vet, she may be bitten by ants or something which cause her anal slightly swollen. Luckily after eating medicine she is better than this morning. I understand now how worry will the mother be when her kid is sick.

Anway, I have uploaded the first picture I took with Snowy to photo gallery. Hopefully you will like it!

drew
ALPHA

Mar 4, 2003, 7:17 AM

Post #18 of 21 (1590 views)
Shortcut

hey there,

sorry to hear that snowy's sick !! my dog also poo blood and watery poo the other day ... also took him to the vet but then the vet check she say nothing wrong with him ... Frown i asked her if nothing wrong how coem got blood ??but she say might have some infection but she check nothing wrong with him ... Unimpressed

anyways, hope snowy recovers soon

carmine

Mar 4, 2003, 11:56 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drew] New dog lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Drew. Is your dog okay now ? The vet told me not to worry so much too. After applying the cream and eaten the medicine Snowy is now back to normal. Thanks for your concern :>

Sometimes I do need to bring Snowy back to my hometown, Ipoh but she just cant sit still in the car, not even 5 minutes. I have decided to get her a crate that I can carry all around. I went to pet shop and found that they all all too small, kinda like 68cm long. Is that large enough for her? Do you guys have any idea how large and where should I buy the carte for my beagle?

drew
ALPHA

Mar 5, 2003, 6:06 AM

Post #20 of 21 (1577 views)
Shortcut

heylo,

he's okay right now ... these days his poo is normal already !!! at least you get something for snowy... i didn't get any medicine though ... paid consultaion fee though ~! Tongue

wow.. my 4 doggies lovesss car ride so much that you can't believe it !!! they'll sit still in the car if they're tired but if they are not... they would love to stick their head out of the car window and enjoy the wind goign against their head !!! =)

you can ask the pet shop ppl there which size should you buy for a beagle .. they are suppose to know about this though !!

anyways, have fun !

carmine

Mar 6, 2003, 9:41 PM

Post #21 of 21 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drew] New dog lover [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie! I have finally bought a nice one for Snowy, its 66cm and it cost rm70. I think the price is reasonable compare with those I saw at Pets Wonderland. I bought it at the pet shop opposite Guardian Pharmacy Taipan. They even gave me discounts as I also bought a medium size Kong for Snowy.

Unfortunately, Snowy doesnt seems to like her Kong that much. I dunnoe whether I've stuffed in treats in the correct way, sometimes they will drop out from the Kong.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my