Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
My story

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Feb 11, 2003, 2:53 AM

Post #1 of 23 (1568 views)
Shortcut
My story Can't Post

i'd like to say hi to everyone on this message board and introduce myself and my new puppy. i've been lurking around on this message board for almost a month now but never had the urge to post a reply or a new topic. but i guess there's a first for everything. i've been an pet lover (i've had all kinds) for as long as i can remember. i've previously owned 2 dogs - a spitz and a pomeranian. out spitz (Puddles) has long gone up to doggy heaven and in december 2002, my 3yo pomeranian (Tiny) was stolen from my garden, which was very upsetting. Tiny had just spent a month with me in KL since i brought him back from melbourne before being nabbed. i never had any idea that dog theft was such a common occurrence in KL, maybe because i've been in australia for 6 years, hence i didnt think there was anything wrong with leaving my dog in the garden. after putting up fliers everywhere, someone sent me an SMS asking me to sign up here and look for Tiny here. but no luck. but i've come to realise that there are so many canine enthusiasts scattered all over malaysia, even attracting some visitors from across the globe to join this forum. its a very encouraging thing to see.

most recently, i've acquire my new puppy. she's a yellow labrador whom i christened the name, Jigglipuff Horatia (dun laugh ar!), Jiggles in short and is now just 13 weeks old weighing in at 11 kilos!! big girl. i love her to death and have made sure that she's out of sight from prying eyes so that she's safe from dognappers. in the four weeks that i've had her, i've taught her how to sit, stay, and shake hands. i'm really amazed at how quickly labradors learn new commands. it took me a few MONTHS, much more patience and perseverance to teach Tiny the same things. Labs are pretty smart dogs :). no bitten shoes yet (touch wood), house trained, and bounding with energy. she's my [not so little] bundle of joy. i hope that in the not too distant future, Jiggles and I can meet some (if not all) of you people. i'll try to get a picture of her soon and post it in this thread.Crazy not too good with html code.but i'll try.

ok thats about it. see you all soon!!

Elly
ALPHA

Feb 11, 2003, 4:34 AM

Post #2 of 23 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [^CYTRQ^] My story [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Lab is always adorable. By the way, I have a dane and a basset. Smile

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 11, 2003, 5:13 AM

Post #3 of 23 (1560 views)
Shortcut

hi ,

Welcome to the forum..

I also own a lab, called Rex, now 13 month+.

Yes, I do agree with u that labs are easily trained.

Where r u from?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

andyckl
Novice

Feb 11, 2003, 7:39 AM

Post #4 of 23 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I have 2 Shih Tzu and 1 Golden Retriever. My uncle have 2 Labrador.

Enjoy yourself in the forum. Smile

Cheers,
Andy Chan

makrawl
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2003, 5:00 PM

Post #5 of 23 (1553 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi and welcome. i have 2 english cocker spaniel and a mix spizt.

Mak

wkser
ALPHA

Feb 11, 2003, 6:36 PM

Post #6 of 23 (1547 views)
Shortcut

hi,

welcome to the forum...Wink

regards
kangser and nous

hcyeap

Feb 11, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #7 of 23 (1543 views)
Shortcut

Hi, welcome to the forum....

Great name for your new puppy, may she bring you much happiness.

HCYeap

daddy to Pepperboy Schnauzer

drew
ALPHA

Feb 12, 2003, 2:47 AM

Post #8 of 23 (1531 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

welcome and have fun !

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Feb 12, 2003, 11:40 AM

Post #9 of 23 (1525 views)
Shortcut
My story [In reply to] Can't Post

hi everyone,

thanks a bunch for the warm welcomes. nice to get to know some of you. maybe i should tell more about myself. i'm a 22yo guy living in the Taman Tun Dr Ismail area. got back from completing my business degree in Melbourne, Australia not too long ago. currenly unemployed and looking for work. dogs have always been a part of my life for as long as i can remember. i've adopted stray dogs b4 and even looked after friends' dogs for a few years. couldnt imagine not having any of our furry friends to play with.

Jiggles has been pretty well behaved since i got her about a month ago. she has a bottomless stomach and constantly scavenges for goodies around the house and the garden. its pretty funny when i catch her doing the wrong thing, i say, "HEY!". somehow i think she now thinks that her name is Hey instead of Jiggles. silly girl....
even though she's quite big now, she lumbers around clumsily - giving her mannerisms a comical look.

Today, i visited Pets Wonderland in Mid Valley looking for books on dog training (basic and advanced). i piced one on out clicker training and found it rather intriguing. was tempted to buy it, but then when i asked if they actually SOLD the "clickers", they said they didnt. so i asked if they knew where to get one, and naturally told me they didnt know. so i came to the conclusion that it was pretty useless of me buying a clicker training book when there wasnt anywhere to buy a clicker. so if there's anyone out there who knows where to get a clicker, some information would be greatly appreciated.

thinking of some new tricks to teach Jiggles. she sorta fetches (inbuilt instinct??) but she hasnt exactly mastered the process of bringing back whatever item she fetches back to me. maybe we should work on that. i'd like to teach her to catch a frisbee, but i think she'll have to learn how to fetch properly first. and i think she'll need to learn to catch things in her mouth. so it'll be fun when she masters that. hope thats not wishful thinking though.

anyway, i'll keep everyone posted on her progress. pictures will be up as soon as i can figure out how to transfer them from the digital camera to the PC. i'm a little bit technologically impaired. so it might take a while.

ciao

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 12, 2003, 7:56 PM

Post #10 of 23 (1520 views)
Shortcut

hi,
Are u into clicker training too?
Well, I also have a book on clicker training, yes..I have the clicker which bought in the US by KBS, a forum member. U should try to contact KBS, she might have extras.
Since u stay in Taman Tun, perhaps join us in the Kiara hike on the 22/Feb. Check out the 'Event Calendar' section.

Have fun! Smile
Smile
regards,

CD Moo

(This post was edited by cdmoo on Feb 12, 2003, 8:10 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2003, 11:44 PM

Post #11 of 23 (1513 views)
Shortcut

Hi~Smile

you have any pics of your dogs to show us here?

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

drew
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2003, 12:34 AM

Post #12 of 23 (1512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] My story [In reply to] Can't Post

hey there cdmoo,

can u tell me what's a clicker training please ?? Tongue

thanks

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Feb 13, 2003, 2:30 AM

Post #13 of 23 (1510 views)
Shortcut

hey cdmoo,

if you could possibly get KBS's email address for me that would be great. yeah, the clicker training sounds really interesting and is different from conventional methods of training. if i cant get my hands on a clicker, i was thinking of using one of those cheap party toys that 'click'. not sure if you know which toy i mean, but i used to play with them and make a hell of a lot of noise with them when i was little - annoying the shit out of my parents. i'll try and look for them on the internet as well. maybe i can buy them from online pet stores.

oh, about the walk in kiara, is it the one at taman rimba kiara?? i've been there and i always thought about walking jiggles there, but then theres a big sign that says no dogs allowed. so thats whats been deterring me from taking jiggles there. so whats the deal?? are we or aren't we allowed to bring our dogs there? i've walked there before and noticed that the best time to go there is during the afternoon or morning when theres not as many people there. in the evenings, the car park is always full and the park is pretty full of people. so our muslim friends might not appreciate having dogs around during those times.

ok, i'll check out the thread on the hike at kiara. and i'll probably see you all there

ciao

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2003, 4:51 PM

Post #14 of 23 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drew] My story [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Andrew,

Pls. use the 'Search' engine to find 'Clicker' in the subject title.

We used to have some discussions there..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2003, 4:55 PM

Post #15 of 23 (1501 views)
Shortcut

hi,

It's binsoo@hotmail.com.

I know what tye type of clicker that u were talking about.. I used to play with it too Smile .

No, it's not Tmn. Rimba.. for more info, pls. check out the thread in the Event Calander, posted by Arthur.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

lulugurl
ALPHA

Feb 14, 2003, 12:17 AM

Post #16 of 23 (1495 views)
Shortcut

hello,

Welcome and greetings from PenangSmile i own a silky terrier currently...

Looking forward to knowing you betterTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Feb 14, 2003, 12:51 AM

Post #17 of 23 (1491 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to puppy.com. So sorry to hear about Tiny, you must miss him, having cared enough to bring him back with you. My family and friends thought I was crazy to bring my two dogs to KL when I came, but I couldn't bear the thought of leaving them behind. Lucky I don't have to worry about dognappers as my two are safely locked up in our 12th floor condo when I'm out.

Seems like Jiggles is doing her best to console you Smile. Labradors are such lovely natured dogs, I've never met a nasty one.

drew
ALPHA

Feb 14, 2003, 3:57 AM

Post #18 of 23 (1482 views)
Shortcut

cdmoo,

thank youuuuuuuu Sly

^CYTRQ^
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 5:22 AM

Post #19 of 23 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] My story [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there again to everyone on this board. i have fantastic news to share! on saturday the 15th of this month, i was reunited with my Tiny!!!! i was walking jiggles like i do in the morning and 2 streets away from where i live, Jiggles paused for a moment in front of a house (to check out other dogs i guess). i had a look over my shoulder to see what she was looking at. what i saw was a big brown mixed-breed dog. i didnt think much of it since it was just another doggie to me. so i kept on walking, while Jiggles just stayed where she was. i then heard 2 dogs barking. none of which was Jiggles' bark. but one of them i'd heard many times before. i turned around again, and there was the little brown fluffy dog i had been missing for almost 2 long months! i wasnt so sure it was Tiny, so i knelt down in front of the gate and called his name. surely enough, he stopped barking right away and started wagging his tail and jumping up and down. my heart was pounding, knowing i had found my lost dog. all along i had thought he was stolen, since i never knew how Tiny would have escaped. after talking to the tennant of the house, i brought my little Tiny back home. i guess he never knew how to come home after escaping because he'd only been out a few times.

when i brought Tiny home, i noticed that he kept on making visits to one part of the fence when i walked outside the house. there was a hole in the fence where he'd escaped!! so i filled the gap with a few pots and mesh. all along, i had thought Tiny was stolen. i instantly came to that conclusion because i didnt know how Tiny could have escaped. this lesson has taught me not to jump to conclusions too soon and to never give up hope in finding a lost dog.

Jiggles is ecstatic that she now has a new friend to play with during the day. Tiny on the other hand is still a little apprehensive of Jiggles since she's almost 10 times heavier and a lot bigger than he is. but they're getting along just fine. my cat also is fine. i always thought the cat hated the Tiny, but then when he came home, the cat was trying to protect Tiny from being harrassed by Jiggles. the cat just tried to slap and claw jiggles!! that amazed me! althougg cats rarely show emotion, they really do care for their "other friends".

i hope this little post will show others who've lost their dogs/cats that there is always still hope in finding your beloved pet. don't lose even the slightest glimmer of hope. because, you'll never know.....he/she might be just around the corner. i've been asked "would you still have gotten Jiggles if you found Tiny earlier?" and i replied "I never would have found Tiny if it wasnt for Jiggles."

ciao

drew
ALPHA

Feb 20, 2003, 5:49 AM

Post #20 of 23 (1457 views)
Shortcut

hi,

wow .. congratulations on finding your missing dog back ... i hope i can find my missing cocker toooooo ... i missed her sooooooo much !!! =)

anyways, congrats to you and have fun with tiny and jiggles and your cat !

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 10:10 AM

Post #21 of 23 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Hi, and welcome! I’m rather new here, as well.

Labs do tend to have the “bottomless stomach” you described, so be careful of how much Jiggles eats. . .or she may “jiggle” herself!!

I am a trainer, so I’m familiar with different methods of training. . .the ideas and theories behind clicker training are actually not all that unconventional or new. Clicker training is motivational training (or positive reinforcement training) where the click is the dog’s reward (after the click has been introduced to the dog, and he/she knows what it means) motivational (positive reinforcement) training can also use food rewards, and voice rewards, ie- “Good dog!” This choice of training will probably work well for you and be good for your dog if done right because she does have that “bottomless stocmach!” And all of those extra training treats may turn into extra weight. . .

Do remember that when training your dog, you have different “tools” at your disposal. A reward, a click in your case, would be given when the dog does something right. But, once your dog knows what’s expected of her, you can give corrections as well. With most dogs, a slight, sharp (but not too hard) tug on the leash will be enough. Using all of the tools that are available properly, you will end up with a very well trained dog!

Good luck, and safe training!

(P.S.- Ausranger: I’ve actually been bitten by a friend's lab before, right in the neck! My mother had to put her black lab, Shadow, down because he had bitten three people. “Always” and “Never” are statements that I don’t much like. Most Labs that I know are wonderful dogs. As a matter of fact, I can even say that every Pit Bull that *I* know is a wonderful dog. But, you have to understand that there are dogs out there that misrepresent what any given breed is meant to be. . . good to know we all have good dogs here, though!)

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 22, 2003, 7:24 AM

Post #22 of 23 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AjaSage] My story [In reply to] Can't Post

hi AjaSage,

May I know what training method(s) do u use? Is clicker training popular in the State ? My dog, Rex a lab was (*semi* Smile) clicker-trained (only at later stage). Anyway, clicker training is not popular here.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

AjaSage
Novice

Feb 22, 2003, 11:19 AM

Post #23 of 23 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Sure! I use positive reinforcement training, as well. However, I don’t use a clicker. I use either food or the word “Yes!” as the dog’s reward. I use food when they learn something new, and switch to “Yes!” once they know it well. Also, if they know something well and choose not to do it, I will correct- I feel that this makes them more solid in their understanding and knowing that “what I say goes.”

I taught my dogs the meaning of “Yes!” before I ever used it as a reward in their training- just as you would a clicker. It actually has the same effect as a clicker, and can be used the same way, as well. This training style is popular pretty much everywhere, because it is very effective with the dogs. Although clickers may not be as popular in Malaysia- the training style most likely is. I only know a few people here that use clickers, but they are getting more and more common.

-AjaSage

Good Sites:
www.americanstaffordshireterrier2002.org
www.wpbtca.com
www.workbulldog.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my