Silky owner with lots of problems

cincklt
New User

Dec 9, 2002, 7:31 PM

Post #1 of 3 (647 views)
Shortcut
Silky owner with lots of problems Can't Post

Hi,

Glad I found this forum and hope to hear from members soon regarding my silky terrier. I have a 5 month old female silky terrier who refuses to be toilet trained and gets depressed every now and then (even goes to the extent of starving herself). Have tried to get her to wee on newspapers (even used training drops) but she just tears up the paper and wees all over the house. Have also attempted to teach her to wee outside in the garden. Let her out every three hours and after meals for her to do 'business' but she would sometimes wander all over the garden and come back inside to wee. She does not like to be touched and is not affectionate at all. She is actually more friendly towards strangers than towards my family members. Most of all she hates being turned on to her back and does not allow me to tickle her tummy. I've read that silkys can be stubborn but I did not imagine her to be THIS stubborn. Smacking, scolding and 'time-out' in the cage does not help either. She is also very cautious about crossing small drains and can spend a long time trying to figure out how to cross them. If there is a drain obstructing her way she would choose not to cross.

I wish for her to run free around in the house and leave the door ajar for her to go out in case she needs to wee or poo but she just looks at the gap and does not know how to squeeze through. When she does go out to do her poos and wees, she always does it on the cemented car porch or where there us gravel but never on the grass Frown.
Some friends believe that the reason for her behavior is that we have a 4 month old male puppy (who came before her) and that she is jealous of the puppy. However they appear to get along very well, never fighting. The male puppy often voluntarily turns on his back when playing with her (a sign of submission?)

I hope that members will be able to help me with my puppy.

ginl
ALPHA

Dec 10, 2002, 12:29 AM

Post #2 of 3 (638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cincklt] Silky owner with lots of problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cincklt,

Welcome to the forum....when i first got my JRT he too didn't like to be rolled over on his back for belly rubs and tickles....everytime I tried to roll him over he'd struggle with all his might....it can be said that dominant dogs do not like to be rolled over coz rolling over wud show signs of submission....but as time goes by he began to see the joys of having his belly rubbed....what i did was whenever he's sleeping i'd go over to him and pet him and slowly turn him over while he's still half asleep and rubs his belly and praise him when he lets me.....sometimes when we're playing and he starts jumping at me and nipping my hands and getting a bit too rough i'd turn him over and with him struggling i firmly held him down on his back towards the floor until he submits and stops struggling....to him i'm telling him that i'm the boss, either u submit or you're going to be in this position as long as it takes.....now he enjoys his belly rubs and tickles tremendously and even begs for it LOL

As for not wanting to be touched, try using treats...when she comes to you for treats, give her a pet on her head and praise her over and over again....she is only 5 mths old so the courage of crossing drains may not be there yet....the drain may be small to us but to a 5 mth old silky terrier it paints a different picture.

For housebreaking problems, pls do a search on this...there are many posts in the forum addressing this....good luck with your silky and puppyhood! Smile

wkser
ALPHA

Dec 10, 2002, 6:45 PM

Post #3 of 3 (625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cincklt] Silky owner with lots of problems [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cincklt,
welcome to the forum.....SmileWink

regards
kangser and nous

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my