Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

avusblue
Novice

Mar 29, 2005, 2:18 PM

Post #1 of 26 (862 views)
Shortcut
Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers Can't Post

I've been snooping around in these forums for a while, made a post or two here and there, and thought it might be finally time to introduce myself and my little fellas.

We're all currently living in Chicago, and will be moving back to Malaysia in May 05. Really looking forward to meeting all you dog lovers at the numerous doggy events I've read about on these pages.

My two little fellas are cairn terriers (more like terrors .. haha):
Axle - Boy dog - light wheaten color - approx 3 yrs old (age unknown as we rescued him from a shelter).
Cami (official AKC name Camelia) - Girl dog - brindle color - 6 mo. old.

Here's some pics of them:

http://share.shutterfly.com/...p?i=EeANWrRszbNGrCEg

That's all for now. Just wanted to say Hello and I'm looking forward to some teh tarik .. heh heh.

(This post was edited by avusblue on Mar 29, 2005, 2:26 PM)

MisterStan
Doggyman

Mar 29, 2005, 4:55 PM

Post #2 of 26 (840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [avusblue] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there

welcome welcome... cairn terriers? hmm.... unpopular/rare breed in malaysia..

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 29, 2005, 5:04 PM

Post #3 of 26 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [avusblue] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi !

warm welcome to the forum here !

cheers,
minglmy

nicky_spykeaz
Doggyman

Mar 29, 2005, 7:26 PM

Post #4 of 26 (825 views)
Shortcut

welcome and a warm welcome to the forum
first of all i give a paw five Frown for aboarding to the kingdom of animal lover esp doggie..
hope to meet u in live one day with our doggie
take care and have a nice day

Cheers ya,

Nicki the Devil live by the reputation of the name

boBby is a craz3 car PassaNger
Fat FaT other case Elegant Car GuEst
What make Me?
A LoYal huMan Driver.... Frown

NoBody is Prefect, Guess What i am Nobody
Nice to meet YOu

(Bobby+Nicky craze JT memBer)

BoBby San DogstEr
http://www.dogster.com/?158414

http://spykeaz-devil.blogspot.com/

ginger_pie
Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2005, 7:57 PM

Post #5 of 26 (816 views)
Shortcut

hi...hi....

welcome to d forum !!! after move back M'sia, where u stay??

Gandhi said, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you and then they fight you -- and you win."

Rhyno & Romeo photos

(lastest upload : 13 May 2005)

avusblue
Novice

Mar 30, 2005, 6:40 AM

Post #6 of 26 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginger_pie] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi...hi....

welcome to d forum !!! after move back M'sia, where u stay??

Probably will be bouncing between KL and Kuantan, and ultimately will be settling in KL (my folks are in Kuantan).

And yes, I've noticed Cairn's are not very popular in Malaysia. Are Westies more easily found? Cami is not spayed ... so there is potential we might have a litter of Cairn puppies in the future ... however, Axle is neutered ... so we'll need a find a boy Cairn ... heh heh.

Poor Axle was found as a stray in Chicago, ended up in the animal shelter and got neutered!! - what a bad day for him. He came to us potty trained and house broken ... as well as knowing a number of tricks ... which leads us to believe he was very well cared for before - must have ran away from home when a leash broke or something.

my_dawg_daisy
K9 Maniac

Mar 30, 2005, 9:14 PM

Post #7 of 26 (798 views)
Shortcut

Hello..Welcome to the forum!!!

Cairn terrier is very rare here....good to know tht u have it, an eye opener to the rest.

~Eve~ Proud owner of 2 Cheeky & Bubbly Furbabies:- Daisy (Dashie) & Meeko (MS)

Eve's Lil' Cerita Place

Sydney
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2005, 11:39 PM

Post #8 of 26 (790 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, hope you'll enjoy it hereCool. Rescue dogs, wat a brave person. feel free 2 browse Smile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

ERN
K9 Maniac

Apr 1, 2005, 2:16 AM

Post #9 of 26 (786 views)
Shortcut

Hi avusblue

Welcome.

Ya Cairn [What if we call this breed Cairnny ] is very rare in malaysia. You can only find 1 or 2 here.

I have a westie, Yuan Yuan is her name. She is 1 year +. Westie is quite rare here also, but it is getting popular now.

Frown

View my photo album

last update, ZEUS & Shiki's 2nd off springs, 16/09/2008. Yes 9.16!

http://s56.photobucket.com/...%20Zeus%20N%20Shiki/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/ERN2/Dogs

avusblue
Novice

Apr 1, 2005, 7:18 AM

Post #10 of 26 (783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

omg ... your Westie is so cute. They are definitely one of my favorite breeds. They are so similar to the Cairn ... well, I guess they should be since they evolved from the same source. Naturally, I also love Scottish Terriers. Are they more common in Malaysia?

Does your westie have the waterproof outercoat as well? Those are awesome when it rains, however, it takes a while to wet them down for their baths. I love how these breeds do not shed much, and they have hair instead of fur ... good for people with allergies.

A little info from the Cairn Terrier Club webpage:
Over 200 years ago, on the ancient Isle of Skye and in the Scottish Highlands, the ancestors of today's Cairn Terrier earned their keep routing vermin from the rock piles (called cairns) commonly found on Scottish farmland. These early terriers were highly prized and bred for their working ability, not appearance. Such characteristics as courage, tenacity and intelligence, housed in a sturdy body clad in a weather-proof coat, armed with big teeth in strong jaws, were sought generation after generation. Gradually the breeds known as the Scottish Terrier and the West Highland White evolved and were named.

The Cairn (the last to be formally named) remained the closest to the original small working terrier, bolting the fox, otter and weasel, sharing the meager fare of the crofter's household.

ERN
K9 Maniac

Apr 6, 2005, 10:01 PM

Post #11 of 26 (773 views)
Shortcut

The chances to find a member having this breed is very unlikely. Maybe you want to share with more Terrier lover at the Terrier Forum or joint us at the Westie Forum since they are the cousin..

Frown

View my photo album

cordy

Apr 6, 2005, 10:50 PM

Post #12 of 26 (765 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, avusblue!

Your doggies are real cute. Just wanna pick them up and hug them lar. ;)

I dun have experience with cairn terriers though. Currently, I have a shih tzu and a Miniature Schnauzer.

Hope you enjoy your time here! Welcome, welcome!! Wink

Rgds,

Cordy

babyface_joey
Novice

Apr 7, 2005, 12:44 AM

Post #13 of 26 (752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cordy] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi.. im glad i finAlly heard something bout cairn terriers. i've recently gotten a puppy.. its a cairn terrier+silky terrier. i've heard vry little bout them. anyway.. hope to catch up with u sometime.Blush

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Apr 7, 2005, 12:57 AM

Post #14 of 26 (745 views)
Shortcut

hello !! hi there... Welcome To puppy.com.my from me Yumiko, Mitcher boy (minpin),Roscoe (labrador) & BItbit (rabbit)... hope you enjoy this forum as much as i do...Laugh it's been sometime that i have not enter this webpage... fuuh... i did not know that there's so many newbies already...Shocked hehe... no matter what it's nice to know our puppy.com.my is getting bigger and more interesting...Wink hope hope to see you and your furry kids soon!!! have fun in this forum ya!!
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

asephine_jo
Novice

Feb 10, 2006, 12:28 AM

Post #15 of 26 (682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ,

I am Josephine. Can I know where do you get westies???

I hope to get one for myself. Been looking for a long time.

It is too difficult to find one in Malaysia.

Hope you can help.

Or maybe your yuan yuan can give birth to few puppies and sell me one please!!

francine
Novice

Feb 10, 2006, 3:57 AM

Post #16 of 26 (671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asephine_jo] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Josephine, I'm irene. Westies are very difficult to find here. The ones that are sold cost an arm and a leg! It cost Rm3000-RM4000 here. I know cos' I'm looking to get another westie. They are such adorable dogs. Mine gives me so much joy. I brought her back from the UK when I was studying there. I heard that you can get the buy westies from Thailand.

asephine_jo
Novice

Feb 10, 2006, 5:11 PM

Post #17 of 26 (658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [francine] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Irene,

Ya i knew it must be very expensive to buy westies in Malaysia. sob sobFrown

That's is why i give myself a second choice, which is to get a maltese..Sly

Are you sure Thailand can get westies? Cause i am going to have holiday in Phuket this coming April.

But i am not sure which part of Thailand to look for. Moreover my bf said it must be very troublesome to bring the dog into Malaysia.

I am just afraid malaysia custom officer will cost me an arm and a leg too...hahahah

Anyway thanks for the info. I will try to search for one in Thailand. If i can get one, i will inform you!!!

What gene is your Westies? Mind to share some photos?

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 13, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #18 of 26 (639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asephine_jo] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Josephine

It is correct to say that bringing in westie from Thailand or Australia by your own or through a middleman is faster than if you were to find it here. But be prepare for the cost.

Our Westies are mostly from these 2 countries.

Am expecting it in the next 2 months. good luck to me.

Will inform you if I found one here. There was a pair at Pets-W On der- land quite sometimes ago, was no taker until last seen them at 5 months old. long time never go there, you may want to check it there.

Frown

View my photo album

asephine_jo
Novice

Feb 13, 2006, 11:08 PM

Post #19 of 26 (630 views)
Shortcut

Hi Seng Keat,

Yea i just visited midvalley pet wonderland yesterday. The westies are just sold out.

Aroung RM 3,500 right? I didnt have the chance to see it. I just saw the cardboard of the westies description with "Sold" on it.

Iznt the same quality like yours? Because i find yours is very beautiful, the hair is so much...

Wonder how you take care of their fur?

Will this breed fur get loose off very easily.. My mum always complained my splitz fur is everywhere in the house...hahaha

BUt i came to know MS fur is very easy to take care and their fur will not be flying around the house.

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 15, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #20 of 26 (626 views)
Shortcut

Hi Josephine

oh too bad just sold off. The price was Rm3900 when he just came in.

To keep all long hair dogs at all the time requires a lot of time and effort and resource$$ too. So most of people just cut it short, and is good to the dog also in our climax.

To keep their coat white also need a lot of effort, cleaning them and wash with the whiterning Shampoo.

Westie doesnt sheed much. But if you comb them the hair may drop, I thing this happen to any breeds as well. So if you grom them in door you wil have hair laying around. do it out door is the solution.

hope this help.

Frown

View my photo album

asephine_jo
Novice

Feb 19, 2006, 6:18 AM

Post #21 of 26 (606 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just visited few pet shop in malacca. Asking them to help me to source for westies...one of the seller ask me whether i am sure i like this breed oh....she said is not so nice when she came across this dog last time.. that why she never buy them from the breeder...i am wondering whether i will like the behaviour of westies now...Since you are westies owner hope you can share some information with me...do westies like to bark alot?...do they like to play with ppl??? are they like a toy dog???

I hope to meet up with u and ur westies to get more information and see if i reallie still want to go for westies. If only you dont mind.

asephine_jo
Novice

Feb 19, 2006, 6:34 AM

Post #22 of 26 (603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [francine] Sort of new here - Introduction & pics of my Cairn Terriers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Irene,

Can i meet up with you and your westies?I would like to know more about this breed before i get one.If the pet shop found this breed i will inform you too. So we can buy together and ask for discount...hihihi:)

francine
Novice

Feb 20, 2006, 3:32 AM

Post #23 of 26 (591 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jo. We can arrange to meet up with my westie if you want. It's not a problem. She is a little angel. Westies don't tend to bark much. Well mine is very quiet. She sleeps all day and she is house trained too. She does not shed except when I comb her. Very good with ppl and tolerates children..i say tolerate cos' she will stand still to let them pet her. She does like her food and will take food from strangers but not to worry she is a very loyal dog. That is why I love the westie breed and I'm looking for another one.

Irene (Francine)

ERN
K9 Maniac

Feb 20, 2006, 6:53 PM

Post #24 of 26 (577 views)
Shortcut

hi

no problem to show you my dogs.

you can read about westie in the internet, just browse thrpugh with the full name and you will get a lot of infor.

call me if you want to meet. zero one seven-3 8 one, 325 one.
For discussion about Westie please go to the terrier group so that other wh are interested in this breed can benefit too. http://www.puppy.com.my/...t=search_engine#last

Frown

View my photo album

(This post was edited by ERN on Feb 20, 2006, 6:58 PM)

francine
Novice

Feb 20, 2006, 7:55 PM

Post #25 of 26 (569 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jo. Why don't you email me at irenefrancine and give me your number.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my