Newbie from up north, Penang!

SY
Novice

Nov 12, 2007, 6:13 PM

Post #1 of 25 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Newbie from up north, Penang! Can't Post

hello to all the dog lovers,

i'm a new member from Penang! i just got myself a mini maltese 2 weeks ago....his name is ares and is a 2+ months pup. he's very playful and likes to nip on our toes. i'm now trying to toilet train him but it's so hard. he poo and wee almost everywhere in the house. hopefully he'll learn to do his business in the toilet soon!

do you guys have any useful tips on how to clean the tear stain around his eyes? i was told that corn flour can lighten the stain...is this true?

thanks!

briance59
Novice

Nov 12, 2007, 7:33 PM

Post #2 of 25 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SY] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SY,

Welcome to the club. Great to have u on board. This is the best time to start toilet training - 8 weeks. I got my golden retriever " Chelsea " about the same age as your Maltese- . The trick is when you keep him in a crate / pan, it is instinct to keep it clean. So let ares out every so often to the yard or toilet to do her thing. As a pup / baby, he cant hold his bladder too long. So he may need to go more frequently. Once he has established this over a couple of times, it will be routine..

Have fun.

Chelsea

SY
Novice

Nov 13, 2007, 11:29 PM

Post #3 of 25 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [briance59] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Briance,

Thanks! Oh...I love golden retriever. But because i stayed in an apartment...can only take care a small dog like maltese. Your Chelsea must be very cute! A fren of mine just got herself a Golden Retriever too...about the same age as Chelsea. Its so adorable!

Ares is very cheeky. He still pee on the floor even after came out from the toilet. He somehow wants to mark his territory. I hope he'll get used with the toilet soon.

pangtan
Novice

Nov 14, 2007, 12:02 AM

Post #4 of 25 (1626 views)
Shortcut

Hi SY,

Welcome to the club....I think you need more time to get your maltese to learn up...myself got few dog...rottweiler , beagle, pincher, and golden retriver. For me I just got my golden 5mth ago....hav this kind of problem as well, wee and pee every where in my house..... I use my Beagle to train my Golden to wee and pee...coz normally puppy will follow watever adult dog doing....

Anyway juz take you time to train you maltese muz be patient wor....

tk care.....

SY
Novice

Nov 14, 2007, 10:20 PM

Post #5 of 25 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pangtan] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx pangtan! wow...you owned quite a number of dogs, huh! i salute you! i can't even handle a dog, let alone 4. one of my cousins owned a beagle...and i can tell you beagle is a very smart dog and can be cunning at times. my cousin brought her beagle to my house. he was on a leash and i was like trying to make fun of him. the moment he was free, he went inside my room and pee on my bed. what a smart revenge, huh!

i read in other post that an adult dog can toilet train a pup. too bad i only have one dog at home. wish me luck in getting ares to do his business in the toilet soon.

briance59
Novice

Nov 18, 2007, 8:19 AM

Post #6 of 25 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Hi SY,

Not to worry . As Pangtan says :-> You have ALL the time on your hands. Patience is a virtue. Just relax. Aris can be trained . You need to believe in him. Last week I was at the OB class. My first class lah. Chelsea's instructor was Mr. richard. He gave all of us some introduction on the do's and don't. He had a fully grown " abandund dog" as he calls it. So obedient-lah . But to me he has opened my eyes to know that any kind of "pet"-dog can be trained. So all of us have hope. Ok. The key I believe is Keeeeeep at it .

I am going for my 2nd class tomorrow. I am so excited to meet new friends at the ob class.

Bye .

Chelsea..

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 20, 2007, 9:39 PM

Post #7 of 25 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Hi SY,

Our next dog gathering information details :
Date : 1/12/07 - Saturday
Time : 4pm
Venue : the beach near the OCEAN GREEN Restaurant & Seafood ( make a left turn when u see Hotel Paramount )

For those who wants to go, pls register here so that we know how many ppl are coming.

Owner's name:
Dog Breed:
Pet's Name:
Food : ( Participants can bring food to share among all, not compulsary )

SY
Novice

Nov 21, 2007, 6:31 PM

Post #8 of 25 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessyca_loh] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jessyca,

Thanks for the invitation! Ares just got his 2nd injection. Can i bring him out already?

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 21, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #9 of 25 (1491 views)
Shortcut

Actually it is recommended to wait till he finish all 3 jabs first lor. So maybe u can join us in the next one..btw may i know where u bought ur maltese ? My cousin is actually looking for one and if u dont mind telling me how much u bought urs for ?

SY
Novice

Nov 23, 2007, 5:02 PM

Post #10 of 25 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Yes, that's what i thought too. He's too young to go out yet. If possible, i'll drop by a while and say hi to you

I bought Ares from a breeder in Air Itam for 1100 with cert. if you want, i can help you to ask him.

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 23, 2007, 5:58 PM

Post #11 of 25 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Oh is it near Sunshine Farlim one, the petshop that sell birds one ? My cousin is looking for Male Maltese without cert one lor cos she has a budget..

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 12:01 AM

Post #12 of 25 (1454 views)
Shortcut

welcome to the club of puppyhood :D

grats on your puppy and good luck to you. there are lots of post regarding potty training. should read up on them and avoid the mistakes that others have gone through.

Usually

1) Be ahead of the game = predict when ur pup is going to pee poo. usually when he wakes up, after food, about 1 hour after the last time he went to toilet. that would be roughly your indicator.

2) don't scold him for his mistakes. when he does let him finish it. don't rush him to his toilet, it's not much of a use, and you might confuse him. to him he might think, oh if i peepoo here, my master will come and hug (even if ur just carrying) me and play with me(moving him to another spot). let him finish, move him out of sight then clean the mess, don't let him see u doing so.

3) when he does it right, praise, praise and praise him. Make a big deal out of it. give lots of pats, hugs or even treats. Make a BIG deal of it!

4) don't push his nose into his stool and pee. he'll learn to be scared of you when he needs to pee or poo and might even start doing his business in places you will not find because he's afraid you'll push his face into pee or poo.

5) the more time u spend making sure he does it right, the faster he learns. the more time u spend correcting him, the longer he'll learn where is the right place. do it right the first time

good luck

SY
Novice

Nov 26, 2007, 4:36 PM

Post #13 of 25 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jessyca,

No, Ares is not bought from pet shop. I came accross this breeder in the internet and called him up. He's actually breeding his dog at his home. So it is a lot better than those in pet shop. But he told me that he's not going to breed his maltese anymore. if you want, i can ask him to look one without cert for you. let me know ya.

SY
Novice

Nov 26, 2007, 4:40 PM

Post #14 of 25 (1437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Zephyros,

Thanks for the tips ya. I've made a mistake....usually Ares saw me cleaning his peepoo. Hehe...next time i shall move him out of my sight.

SY
Novice

Nov 26, 2007, 4:40 PM

Post #15 of 25 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Hi Briance,

How's ur OB class?

briance59
Novice

Dec 9, 2007, 6:57 AM

Post #16 of 25 (1373 views)
Shortcut

OB class is comming along fine. My instructor- Mr. Richard was teaching me to walk with my owner obediently. To walk by masters side, to stop and sit up-right when master stops & to jump over obsticles which are provided. how are you keeping. Good I suppose. Any new events happening with you ? Tell me about it .. OK. The latest thing I am suppose to learn is to sit still while my owner walks a distance away from me. So difficult-lah. I still am itching to warnder away--- you know.

Got to chow. Bye. Thanks for dropping me a line.

Clelsea

tonychang
Dog Kichi

Dec 26, 2007, 9:24 PM

Post #17 of 25 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Hello SY ... haha Tongue

rgds
cm

wengkeong
Novice

Jan 9, 2008, 1:32 AM

Post #18 of 25 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Hi SY, I'm living in a condo at Bkt Jambul and am looking for a mini poodle (bitch). Do you have any lead of good breeder that I can approach ?

Many thanks !

Weng Keong (012 5302518)

SY
Novice

Jan 14, 2008, 4:08 PM

Post #19 of 25 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wengkeong] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Weng Keong,

I'm sorry...I don't think i can help you on mini poodle but i can ask around.

What about other dog like Pekingnese or Maltese?

wengkeong
Novice

Jan 14, 2008, 5:50 PM

Post #20 of 25 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Hi SY, thanks for your response. I got a Shitzu instead ! Just bought it last Thursday through a lead from Jessyca !

Thanks anyway....Weng Keong!

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Jan 14, 2008, 7:11 PM

Post #21 of 25 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Oh hello, good to hear that u've got your puppy.

Where did u buy the puppy from ?

wengkeong
Novice

Jan 14, 2008, 10:49 PM

Post #22 of 25 (1212 views)
Shortcut

Well, I follow your lead to see Rosie at Pet's Place, Hillside. Remember you gave me her contact number last week. That's why I wrote to thank you ! Cheers !

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Jan 14, 2008, 11:35 PM

Post #23 of 25 (1209 views)
Shortcut

I read the forum from top to bottom..ur thank you note was somewhere else..i only read that after this posts.. Tongue

Do upload your Happy pictures for us to see hor..glad that u manage to get your puppy..

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2008, 12:54 AM

Post #24 of 25 (1205 views)
Shortcut

OB Classs. Can share more information about it? like where is it held, organized by who and the fees??

briance59
Novice

Jan 15, 2008, 9:40 AM

Post #25 of 25 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sirwin81] Newbie from up north, Penang! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sirwin81 ,

great to see others with interest about pets. My name is Chelsea. I am 5 months now. I am in my 8th. OB class. It costed me RM 150/- & RM 50/- reg fees. Very affortable for my master. Consider all the things I get to learn. It's held every Sunday at Old Klang Road K.L. I am not sure if there is any such class in Penang. Anyway, There wll be K9 Day at Bander Utama, P.J. next Sunday 20th. Jan 2008. The time is 8.15 am. It will be great to see you there. You can log on to puppy.com.my. Lots of great stuff to read about.

Signing off for now..

Chelsea

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my