New shih-tzu member!

vienaong
Novice

Jun 4, 2006, 7:06 AM

Post #1 of 18 (699 views)
Shortcut
New shih-tzu member! Can't Post

Hi all!!

I am a 1st time dog owner ..... 4 mths a go i bought a 3 mths old female shih-tzu from a pet shop .....of coz since then hv had lots of fun with her although she also created headache for me.....but luckily the info and discussions in this forum helped me a lot ....

i am now attending puppy class with puppy.com.....together learning and hv lots of fun with my little Mimmy!

BYW, 2mlo onwards i will become a mommy of 2 shih-tzu.....getting a male shih-tzu directly fr a breeder this time....huhh....dun know how my life would change then ...... just hope that the two dogs can get along well and live happily with me.....wish me luck!!!!

will keep u guys with more updates then ....feel very excited now...hihi

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2006, 4:02 PM

Post #2 of 18 (687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienaong] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear vienaong,

Welcome! Glad that you are having a fun with your shih-tzu. Do you plan to breed them, now that you have a pair?

vienaong
Novice

Jun 6, 2006, 5:24 AM

Post #3 of 18 (678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hoyf] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi hoyf!

Ya i do plan to breed .... would like to know wat is the good time to start breeding? the female ST is of pet quality and the male is of show quality....so hope they can produce beautiful puppies

do u breed dogs too?

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Jun 6, 2006, 3:23 PM

Post #4 of 18 (663 views)
Shortcut

Dear vienaong,

No idea about when's the best time to breed. No I don't breed dogs. But I find homes for stray puppies on the road. Mongrels give us the same love as our pedigrees do. And they are free! So we can play our roles by adopting them.

khyeying
Novice

Jun 7, 2006, 8:17 PM

Post #5 of 18 (644 views)
Shortcut

Hi hi! I heard from my doggies groomer that the first time the bitch go on heat will be around 7 months old, don't breed her at 1st time. wait for 2nd time she heating only let her breed worrrr... I think, healthier or something. But pls be responsible breeder ohhh.. don't be like those puppy farms .. and I heard my pet's groomer say that let the bitch breed about... 3 rounds is enough already. Don't go on and on.... yep. Hope this info helps...

Yoyo ~ my missin' Shih Tzu :((
Popeye ~ my lovely lil' Mini Schnauzer *muaks*!!!

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jun 8, 2006, 12:26 AM

Post #6 of 18 (631 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to puppy.com

You really love shih tzu. Getting a second one so fast.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Goldii
Dog Kichi

Jun 8, 2006, 3:17 AM

Post #7 of 18 (626 views)
Shortcut

Hi

Welcome to the world of Shih Tzus.

Our picture here is our 3 year old girl Xiao Mei. Her daddy is Goldii who left us last year.

We have been having 4th. generations of Shih Tzus as we dearly love this breed.

Please join us at the Utility group, should you need to talk to other Shih Tzu lovers.

We know that you will enjoy this forum. Best of luck and cheersCool.

Goldii/Xiao Mei

Klang

joeanl
New User

Jun 11, 2006, 4:23 AM

Post #8 of 18 (595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Goldii] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey...your goldie is v gold ha? me new hgere as well..hv a 7 months old shih tzu, male...just cant get enough of my pup Wink my sis has a maltese...so the 2 of them is like v goo frens.

lately my shih tzu, name is chewy la, has started licking his own pee. sigh....went to see those forum...but dont think they have any help there. have purposely left the newspaper with pee laid there and wait for him to lick, so that i can bit him ah..let him know this is not right. anyone knows why are they behaving like this? i figured donno whether its becoz i started to change his food brand to nutro. his pee smells v salty after every meal~~~when i fed him pro plan, he didnt hv this prob...

Goldii
Dog Kichi

Jun 12, 2006, 7:07 PM

Post #9 of 18 (586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joeanl] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi joeanl,

Yup, there are cases of Shih Tzu licking own pee and some, eating own poop.

It can be corrected. Our Australian breeders/friends have given us some good

tips to help. It has something to do with their upbringing and food.

You have to be there when that happen and gently correct the situation

without hitting your pup. Whacking your pup is always a no-no! Shih Tzus

are very emotional and leaving scars like that would cause long term problems.

Just by scolding, you will see your Shih Tzu cry! Use emotions but do not hit.

As for the main problem of licking own pee, try going to BARF if you can. BARF

have helped us alot. BARF- means Bone and Raw Food. Not many can accept

this method for bringing up your dog. By giving your dog raw food such as raw

meat, raw bones and raw fruits and vegetables, raw without cooking, and cut

down on biscuits, your dog will do well with less sickness and problems. We have

been doing it for the fourth year already and it works. Do not, I repeat, do not give

your dog tap water. Please filter the water like the way you would drink it yourself,

and see the difference after one week! If you are keen to know more, please read up

a book by Denise Flaim-The Holistic Dog Book- Canine care for the 21st.Century-

ISBN 0-7645-1763-5 . We are very happy that our Xiao Mei is on BARF and is very

healthy and have less allergy/skin problems/ear infections/dull coat. Also watch out

for your house cleaning chemicals that can cause itchy paws and 'burnt out-dry hairs'

It took us years to discover this! Floor cleaning liquids, when overused especially if

you have a maid doing it, you will get this problem. They always overuse as they

thought the house would be cleaner!! The moment you see you pup licking own paws

and seeing strange 'purple' stains on leg hairs and on cheeks, your pup is suffering

from floor cleaner burns! Hope this helps

Cheers and regards,

Goldii/Xiao Mei

joeanl
New User

Jun 28, 2006, 8:24 PM

Post #10 of 18 (565 views)
Shortcut

Hi goldii...

thanks for the detailed info! maybe i'll give it a try, but dont think now. but wont raw meat be dangerous coz its not cooked? how about virus and bacteria in the meat? maybe you can tell me some :)

there's another problem with my shih tsu...hes starting to wet my bed, again! this did that when he was much younger. only in the recent month, after i went to labuan for a holiday, and left him at home with my sis taking care of him, he started to pee on my bed. hv also read some forum about not scolding them when they did that. just clean up silently and go coz they only want attention. scolding will gv them the attention that they want. have tried but seems it doesnt work. i was very mad yesterday when i came back from work and my bed have the stain of pee...me tired from work...hv lost my temper and scolded him. sigh....hope he will outgrow it la. ppl also say pups reaching 8 months to 12 months will still encounter housebreakinh problem..

i hv 3 dogs in my house! 1 spitz, 1 maltese, and 1 shih tzu...spitz is female, the rest are male. male..being territotial, they have started to mark their territory everywhere in my house...so i was thinking my shih tzu is marking his territory on my bed. only he will sleep in my room, the rest sleeps inliving room, or in my sister's room. was thinking of neutralise it so that ut will be less territorial...but i thought of breeding it...sigh...problem. the wiping of the floor is tiring everytime they pee on the floor. we hv toilet trained it..it was ok for the first few months, only this recent month they hv started to behave in this way.

any help?!?!?

Goldii
Dog Kichi

Jun 28, 2006, 9:31 PM

Post #11 of 18 (560 views)
Shortcut

Dear Joeanl,

Thanks for your reply.

Xiao Mei is 3+ years old already and is strictly on BARF. Compared to her daddy

Goldii, she has much less problems such as allergies, ear infections, color loss,

smelly breath, stomach bloating and itch.

Canine digestive tracts are well equipped to handle most microbes that would

level us bipeds! USDA have stated that salmonella is not a health risk for dogs.

Canine stomach acid is 10 times more powerful than humans and have a shorter

intestinal tract. Meat eating animals in the wild even takes in rotting carcasses.

Yes we may worry at first. Like we did. But the advantages are good.

BARF does this:- 1) Enhance immune system and reduce allergic reactions.

2) Increased hydration 3)Smaller volume of stool 4) Fewer anal-gland problems

5) Less doggy smell 6) Cleaner teeth 7) Fewer ear infections and 8) Bloat

Management.

Please get the book that I have mentioned earlier. She gave very clear details

on Dog care for the 21st century.

Believe it or not, our Xiao Mei is even off her annual jab!!!!!

As for social problems, you have a problem of having more than one dog at home

and alpha males tend to be very, very protective. We experienced the same too

when Goldii's pups arrived. Not only did he pee-ed to re-mark his territory, he also

poop-ed every where! Please understand this, as dogs are different. Be patient

and slowly see and learn and solve this. You can do it. That is why dogs are so

loveable as he wants to love and protect the master. Only the master!

Hope this helps, cheers and regards,

Goldii/Xiao Mei

joeanl
New User

Jun 30, 2006, 8:39 PM

Post #12 of 18 (540 views)
Shortcut

hey there...maybe will find sometime to go get the book and try out on myself.

the marking of territory is the part which i am tired ah...coz have to wipe. hv got suggestions in this forum saying using vinegar can remove the smell of the markings. hv tried that...my shih tsu didnt wet my bed for 2 days! but he did it last night...guess its because the maltese went into my room, the place where chewy, the shih tsu sleeps. sigh....no choice, coz had to let the maltese in my room coz a relative is visiting, so my sis was sleeping with me lastnight...plus her puppy maltese. guess will take about a week to remove that smell fr my room la, i mean the smeel of the maltese :)

anjingdog
Novice

Jul 1, 2006, 3:53 AM

Post #13 of 18 (528 views)
Shortcut

helo vienaong,

so u must enjoy d company of yr mimmy. i just bought my gigi last week. just after few months and u r getting another one. phew, how do u manage them in such a short time of experience? u mention of training class. where is it??? is it d one at tmn desa? gigi is only 3 months old, is it time for her to train in such early age??? Frown

anjingdog
Novice

Jul 1, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #14 of 18 (524 views)
Shortcut

goldii,

i m new to pet and getting very interested after reading all d mail in this page. how do u get such goldish colour on yr sz? is it the food u feed her? u were mentioning giving her raw meat, wat meat do u meant? i was told only boiled water to give them. so it is ok to give them mineral water too??

chaiwoon

Jul 1, 2006, 10:45 AM

Post #15 of 18 (512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anjingdog] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frownnice ST u have there.. very cute gal.. have ur gal finish her 3rd jab? if not, better wait till she completed her jab, then only let her socialize. have u been to the tmn desa one? make a trip there urself n see how's their training.. i've been there once n nearly wanted to join. but it's too far for me to go there. moreover, my boy old dy.. 1.5 yrs now.. dunno still can train or not.. Frown
www.dogster.com/?378834

Goldii
Dog Kichi

Jul 1, 2006, 11:04 AM

Post #16 of 18 (509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anjingdog] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hi!

It is good to start your pup on BARF early. Start little at a time .

Try with raw chicken meat slices and alternate with raw sliced beef/lamb.

As soon as his teeth are fully set, you can give him pieces of raw chicken

neck, as the bones are not load bearing type which can split (very sharp)

Do not give any other bone parts of poultry. Only the neck bones.

Chicken/Duck/Beef liver weekly is also good. If you have to give kibbles,

you must mix it (Lunch-kibble/Dinner-Raw food)

with raw bones and/or raw fruits and vegetables so that

his teeth can be 'flossed' automatically. Kibbles/biscuits tends to stick on

their teeth easily. At least once a month, give him a bigger treat by giving

him a large pork/beef bone knuckle (raw and grooved with a chopper) so that

he can enjoy the goodness of raw bone marrow juices. It is suggested to do

this the day you are about to give him a bath. I agree that he will get pretty

messy but he will enjoy it. It is also a great way to keep him busy for two hours

at least! But do discard it afterwards as it will attract ants. Our Xiao Mei always

look forward to this "bone-bone" session!

Please do not give mineral water.

It may cause mineral unbalance. Natural and raw food is usually enough as a balanced

diet.

Xiao Mei do not eat any kibble at all. She is 100% on BARF and drinks only filtered water.

We are very convinced about BARF. Please do try to get that book. It helps us.

We bought our book at MPH at One Utama, PJ. The last we checked, they are out

of stock.You may try to ask them to order it for you.

Regards and Cheers,

Goldii/Xiao Mei

anjingdog
Novice

Jul 7, 2006, 3:29 AM

Post #17 of 18 (468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaiwoon] New shih-tzu member! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown i read about the training at tmn desa. would like to visit one sunday. thanks alot. gigi has her 3rd jab already. Frown

anjingdog
Novice

Jul 7, 2006, 3:32 AM

Post #18 of 18 (467 views)
Shortcut

Frown thanks for replying. would try to get d book. did mention to member at home about BARF, but some think its kind of weird to give raw meat. maybe later.......Frown thanks anyway.Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my