Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails

leopui
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2002, 4:24 AM

Post #1 of 17 (26692 views)
Shortcut
Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails Can't Post

Hi All,

Click and visit THIS SITE for more info on nail clipping.

Happy Clipping !!!
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2002, 8:31 AM

Post #2 of 17 (26676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leopui,

Thks for sharing this website on nail clipping. I'm faced with dark coloured nails and so far has been very careful not to cut into the quick. Now to get a dremel sanding tool to file down the sharp edges.. Rdgs Arthur

leopui
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2002, 5:53 PM

Post #3 of 17 (26665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur,

Me too, having to spend extra time and care on black nail clipping ... I choose to let them run free on cement as often as possible hopefully, it help on their nail clipping ... so far, result is okay!!!
LEO PUI

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2002, 6:17 PM

Post #4 of 17 (26662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Leopui,
Running on hard surfaces does help to wear down those nails. Slightly off-topic..I've been told that if a dog is kept mainly indoors, thus walking/running on smooth surfaces like tiles, marble, terrazo etc.. the paws will grow to be pointing outwards instead of being parallel. Apprec your comments.
Rdgs Arthur

leopui
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2002, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 17 (26657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur,

I am sorry to inform you that I have no idea about this issue as I never keep any dog in-door Blush Unsure!!!

But when we agreed that running on hard surfaces does help to wear down those nails ... therefore, on smooth surfaces like tiles, marble, terrazo, it should be still consider hard (although smooth) surface. However, I would rather to category those mentioned surfaces as slick floor.

When the dog have to stable with effort for longer time spend on these surfaces, I believe their paw may somewhat point outwards ... I am just not good in putting sentences Blush ... can you understand this Unimpressed ???
LEO PUI

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2002, 7:32 PM

Post #6 of 17 (26656 views)
Shortcut

Leopui,
Thks for the quick reply. Maybe I can gather some information from you. Does any of your canines developed front paws that are pointing outwards?
If answer is none, then discounting the genetic influence (ie. no history of "funny"paws) , the enviroment in which the pups were raised could play a major role in the proper development of the front paws. Thks n rdgs. Arthur

leopui
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2002, 8:34 PM

Post #7 of 17 (26652 views)
Shortcut

I doesn't believe that the OPP (outwards pointing paw) is a genetic issue, I would be more agreed with you as your stated: ... the environment in which the pups were raised could play a major role in the proper development of the front paws ...

Just before I answer your post, I went to inspect all my dog ... only one male Rottie which I have found out that have the outwards pointing paw (hopefully I get it right). He is my semi-green dog still in the middle of training, he have being taught and train hard over wet floor, he need to learn how to stabilizes itself of not falling and I believe this is partly the reason he had develop OPP due to it body weight. Is this apply to bigger size of dog with weight???

I have seem and witness some pups & dogs (non-genetic related), which later develop what we called "East & West feet", "Flat-foot" and "Splay-foot" and ALL of these were becos of raising environment by either over feeding, wet & slick floor.

I am not into show confirmation competition, so I won't take this very seriously since OPP doesn't bother me much but is the performance that count!!! As long as the
Pads are thick and tough affording the dog protection over rough terrain and the movement have the agility and endurance to do the work required of it.

Again Arthur, sorry I can't provide you with more information ... other member, care to share please???

LEO PUI

les
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2002, 10:48 PM

Post #8 of 17 (26641 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much Leo for sharing this website with us! Hahaha.. now I think I know how to handle clipping nails for sunny... heh heh! Tongue

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

ginl
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2002, 11:32 PM

Post #9 of 17 (26637 views)
Shortcut

My dog has outward pointing front paws and he's 100% indoor dog...my place has slippery tiled flooring....but in JRTs case it has been said that due to genetic reasons some JRTs will hv this kind of paws which they called benched legs i think and it's a fault in conformation.....coz i do not know his history i'm not sure whether it's due to genetic reasons or coz he grew up on slippery surface.....i always thought it was due to genetic reasons coz that's what i read anyway.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Oct 12, 2002, 1:52 AM

Post #10 of 17 (26634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Good on you Les, you have just saved some $$$ for having your dog's nail clipped Smile. Saved the $$$ and buy me a drink later if you wish Wink !!!

Ginl, you have "reported" well over your JRT, may be you would like to further study the breed and to check with the breeders about the OPP??? I have not idea about this except I will still take it as environment caused (at this time Angelic). Some solid studies statement would help many of us to learn.

By the way, when you mentioned about "benched leg" ... is it something like the English Bulldog type???

LEO PUI

(This post was edited by leopui on Oct 12, 2002, 2:01 AM)
Attachments: canine_feet.jpg (50.9 KB)

ginl
ALPHA

Oct 12, 2002, 2:15 AM

Post #11 of 17 (26630 views)
Shortcut

Benched leg as in the attached pic of him....can be seen very clearly....a correct JRT's legs shd be straight and paws pointing front.....think this is something like a Basset Hound or Dachshund's legs? Anyway I've seen on numerous JRT sites that explains both the correct and faulty type of legs and they advise that benched legs JRTs shd not be bred for that reason.
Attachments: Collar.jpg (20.4 KB)

leopui
K9 Maniac

Oct 12, 2002, 4:06 AM

Post #12 of 17 (26627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Illustrated Guide in clipping your dog's nails [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the photo image ... "your's" benched legs = to "my" East & West foot!!!

This type of foot is not a genetic issue in GSD YET (I wish I can spell out loud but I need still to double check!!!). For most of the cases I have came across within GSD, they are basically caused by the up-bringing ... please don't quote me on that Tongue !!!

Like I said ... study your breed and go further, you shall get what you are looking for ... meanwhile, I stay with the WS & working line GSD Smile !!!
LEO PUI

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 6:29 PM

Post #13 of 17 (26039 views)
Shortcut

you mentioned that you keep you dog outdoor. then do your dog has ticks?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2003, 9:53 PM

Post #14 of 17 (25851 views)
Shortcut

thanks for sharing this site...very informative and useful

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

jaytan
Canine Addict

Dec 16, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #15 of 17 (25847 views)
Shortcut

Hi Leo, Thanks for sharing the nail clipping website. That is exactly what I need to know. Drinks on me the next time you are in KL/PJ. Best regards,J

a_evie
Doggyman

Dec 19, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #16 of 17 (25824 views)
Shortcut

thanx leopui for the great article.

but can anyone throw some light as to when i can start trimming a puppy's nails?

i am kinda fearful of cutting shalom's nails on my own as she can;t sit quietly unless she is tiduring...yet i want to try cutting it on my own. am thinking that a good time that puppy time is a good time to start...but am worried that i may hurt her instead.

j9yne

Feb 28, 2004, 5:18 AM

Post #17 of 17 (25623 views)
Shortcut

i've been trying to visit that site. but to no avail. anyone knows why? Unsure

current doggie at home : junior (silky terrier) Frown
my wish list : ckcs Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my