Baby shampoo!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2005, 11:49 PM

Post #1 of 27 (6490 views)
Shortcut
Baby shampoo! Can't Post

I have been using baby shampoo to wash my dogs.Its with the no tears formula(the reason I use baby shampoo in the first place).I have a shih tzu and two mix breed.And since now,their fur seems good.Would like to know if its OK.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jul 23, 2005, 12:54 AM

Post #2 of 27 (6480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Basti] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been using it on my dogs too for over 15 years and no problems. Actually, it was the type of shampoo that was recommended to me for my dogs. At the moment I am using the Johnsons' Strawberry conditioning shampoo for my dogs and they smell good enough to eat!!!!!

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 2:45 AM

Post #3 of 27 (6475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad that there is someone out there who is also using baby shampoo to bath their dogs.I am using the normal one without any strawberry smell.My dogs are all looking fluffy and cuddly.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2005, 5:22 AM

Post #4 of 27 (6467 views)
Shortcut

It is OK to use baby shampoo on puppy or dog. But always use conditioner after shampooing.Wink

Don't you guys notice after using Johnson's shampoo that cause your dog hair abit dry and tangle meh? hmmmUnsure I personally wound't recommend you guys use Johnson's brand lor.

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 6:24 AM

Post #5 of 27 (6461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no tangle and the fur is soft..My dogs are playing like crazy in the garden the whole day and so I must wash them more often.Of course,they have some tangle but I guess it is from the playing but I am not sure.Now,it is summer so I let them out more often because in the winter,they cannot play outside.It is too cold.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 23, 2005, 8:20 AM

Post #6 of 27 (6455 views)
Shortcut

Basti

supposingly dog's shampoo's quality is better than human ones or should i say more suitable for dogs, further more there are tearless dog shampoo in the market, anyway juz feel tht y not hav a try? might get even better effect. Tongue

Yang

Regards,

Yang

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 10:34 AM

Post #7 of 27 (6449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...actually I used dog shampoo before.I used it on the body and the baby shampoo is only for the head area.I compare the fur at the head and the fur at the body,they are both the same,so when the dog shampoo is empty,I simply continue using the baby shampoo and I like the result.However,I do not understand why the human shampoo is not good enough for dogs,i check the ingredients and they have almost similar ingredients.Anyone with info about the reasons,please do tell me...

Moreover,I thought that if the shampoo is used by kids,it will not be harmful...but that is just in my opinion

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2005, 9:58 PM

Post #8 of 27 (6446 views)
Shortcut

Actually, human shampoo is very dry to the hair. Dogs shampoo actually already has conditioner in them and is better suited for the fur.

Vets have advised to use baby tearless shampoo on the head coz it's gentle. I use that for my dogs ut the body would be normal dog shampoo. Baby shampoo is not harmful, it just makes the skin dry. If you still want to use human shampoo on dogs, use the mild versions or oatmeal shampoos and always use a gentle conditioner after bath. I still think dog shampoo is better suited for the body. I have tried human and dog shampoo on my shih tzu and can certainly tell a difference.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 11:00 PM

Post #9 of 27 (6444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

A mild conditioner as in the dog conditioner or the human conditioner? I think I will use baby shampoo and then after that rinse with conditioner.Maybe I can try it and see if my dogs will get the extra soft fur.Thanks for the advice.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 24, 2005, 1:05 AM

Post #10 of 27 (6432 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Well, you can use dog conditioner, which I think is better but if you can't get just the conditioner for dogs, you can use for humans. Find those for sensitive skin or for dry hair. Remember, for dogs, human conditioner use a bit is enough. If too much then can make the fur too oily.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jul 24, 2005, 2:15 AM

Post #11 of 27 (6428 views)
Shortcut

LOL! Yes, my dog's hair is dry but it's a westie so it's not meant to be soft or silky!!!

Seriously, I also use dog conditioner on his body too but that is because i notice that using conditioner seems to keep his hair whiter longer than if I don't use conditioner. I don't use condtioner on his head because he doesn't really like water on his head. If I use conditioner, it means rinsing his head twice - after the shampoo and again after the conditioner. That is why I use the Johnsons's conditioning shampoo on his head.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 24, 2005, 4:35 AM

Post #12 of 27 (6423 views)
Shortcut

Your westie's hair is dry?hmmm...it seems that I am the only one who thinks that the baby shampoo is not causing dryness.maybe my little darlings' hair is dry and I just don't realise it.Anyway,even if my dogs don't have the super silky fur, they are still the most beautiful dogs in the world.

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Jul 24, 2005, 5:54 AM

Post #13 of 27 (6416 views)
Shortcut

Westies are supposed to have rough hair so it's supposed to be dry and not soft and silky.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 24, 2005, 7:32 AM

Post #14 of 27 (6412 views)
Shortcut

Basti

yap agree abt harmless if use baby shampoo, but i juz dono much abt the ingredients.. anyway personally i feel that if u feel a product is suitable for ur dog that will be juz fine. Smile

Yang

Regards,

Yang

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 3:42 AM

Post #15 of 27 (6400 views)
Shortcut

Hi Basti,

Personally I can say human shampoo and conditioner is better than the dog shampoo & conditioner in the market. My Silky been using human shampoo & conditioner since they were small little pup. All of them have excellent skin & coat. I only feed them dry dog food with no supplement just for your info. Just that the Johnson's brand baby shampoo I try before was abit dry for the dog hair.

Lastly, no worry cause the human shampoo wound't harm your dog skin and coat.Wink

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 3:49 AM

Post #16 of 27 (6394 views)
Shortcut

"human conditioner use a bit is enough. If too much then can make the fur too oily."

Are you sure you try human shampoo & conditioner on your dog before? Can you please tell me more how can use human conditioner can cause oily hair? Hmmmm........Unsure Did your hair feel oily after using conditioner?Unsure

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 3:50 AM

Post #17 of 27 (6387 views)
Shortcut

"Actually, human shampoo is very dry to the hair. Dogs shampoo actually already has conditioner in them and is better suited for the fur."

I think we better change our shampoo to dog shampoo liao. Hahahaha...Sly No wonder my hair so dry la.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 3:54 AM

Post #18 of 27 (6382 views)
Shortcut

LOL !!! Yes that is trueSly Westie hair should look fluffy not silky. HeheheSly

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2005, 3:58 AM

Post #19 of 27 (6374 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I will still comtinue using baby shampoo but not the johnson brand.I use garnier brand.I don't feed supplement as well but sometimes I give them rice with meat and carrot.They love it.I only feed dry food as well.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #20 of 27 (6363 views)
Shortcut

Basti

after discussion maybe i will suggest petshops to sell human shampoo as well loh, cheaper & better! Tongue

Yang

Regards,

Yang

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 8:25 AM

Post #21 of 27 (6356 views)
Shortcut

Yah... last time I use pantene shampoo and conditioner summore... Dunno, I don't quite like using pantene on my, made the hair very dry so I use the conditioner loh, which after a few days made my dog the skin a bit oily and he smelled.
My hair also one kind, use conditioner ah, if I use loreal, can get oily wan... hahaha...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2005, 8:27 AM

Post #22 of 27 (6352 views)
Shortcut

Hahah... I think I said something wrongly, I meant to say dry to the dog fur heheheh...

Basti
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2005, 11:49 PM

Post #23 of 27 (6332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

How come no one ever question what ingredients is in the dog shampoo?I checked and I don't find anything so special about it.But then again,I don't really care that my dogs have the super smooth and silky hair as well.WinkThey are playing all the time in the garden with all the dirts sticking to them and after I brush their hair,within 30 minutes,they are back to the crazy hair again.hehe....I am actually beginnning to think that the pet industry is trying to trick us into buying the expensive shampoo....

eugene
Novice

Sep 4, 2005, 6:48 AM

Post #24 of 27 (6183 views)
Shortcut

hi, chrisong.

as u said johnson baby shampoo is a bit dry ya...so may i know which brand of the baby shampoo ur lovely silky is using...

is that any baby shampoo with conditioner?

but, i think i will use baby shampoo on body n head but condition on body only... can i use Dove(conditioner)?

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 4, 2005, 7:53 PM

Post #25 of 27 (6180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eugene] Baby shampoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I currently use P*ntene, S*nsilk and D*ve Shampoo and Conditioner. You can use either one of this brand for ur dog. Remember always use conditioner after shampoo!!! Don't stick to one brand of shampoo all the time. Try change the brand after finish using the current brand rotate it that what I do now with this three brand.

If ur pup is around 3 month old you can buy a tearless shampoo for dog first. I think for your puppy u can buy this brand "1# All Syst*m". After finish then only change to human shampoo.Wink Because I try so many baby shampoo for my dogs and all of them is the sameFrown its dry their hairFrown.

Hope this help.Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my