Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Urine Smell

icaruz

Aug 27, 2003, 8:19 AM

Post #1 of 4 (452 views)
Shortcut
Urine Smell Can't Post

Hie all,

My lil beagle sleeps in the playpen connected to her crate (the ones with the tray) where does her business. She has been fine all the while but recently, she carries the pungent smell of urine with her. It defenitely not doggy smell because it's very pungent. I have to bath her so often now (not that I mind) but i dont think it's good for her. Unsure I line the tray which is of plastic with newspaper because she is kept indoors and her cage is kinda big and it's just recently that she has this smell. I just bathed her again this morning and she already has that strong smell on her. What do i do? Any advice? Please?? Pirate

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 27, 2003, 10:46 AM

Post #2 of 4 (448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icaruz] Urine Smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Sorry to hear about the little problem with your Beagle ... Can I ask a few questions please ...

*How old is your Beagle?

*Where did you buy/get your Beagle from?

*Are you quite sure it is the smell of urine (which has an ammonia type scent) or it is just a pungent smell?

* When did you first notice the smell?

* You say the Beagle sleeps in the playpen but does her peeing in the crate with a tray ... Could she have been weeing in the playpen and then playing or lying down on her pee? Or somehow coming into contact with the tray?

Hear from you ... in the meantime don't worry too much ya ... Smile

icaruz

Aug 27, 2003, 7:06 PM

Post #3 of 4 (442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Urine Smell [In reply to] Can't Post

My beagle is nearing 4 months old and i got her from a house. I'm pretty sure it's the smell of urine because I've only noticed this smell about a week ago. I dont think doggy smell can be smelt a few hours after bath. The thing is, I'm sure she doesn't pee on the floor so that's where I'm confused. Unsure I got her the crate to pee on about a month already and it's only recently that she starts smelling like urine. It's the ammonia smell that puts me off because everytime I hug her i can smell it.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 27, 2003, 9:00 PM

Post #4 of 4 (435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icaruz] Urine Smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Beagle is still a baby ... Smile ... and I assume that when you say "you got her from a house" ... you mean that you got her from someone who was breeding at home ...

If the Beagle only pees in the crate (which is very good) ... and is not inadvertantly stepping into or lying on her own urine ... Then maybe observe the Beagle when she pees ... Is she accidentally peeing on herself?

If not ... then the smell may be caused by (a) a urinary tract infection. Some urinary infections can cause the puppy to dribble urine, and the urine wets her coat, ... or (b) the smell is actually caused by something else. Some skin conditions (including bacterial or mange infection) can cause a strong smell ...

In either of these cases - you need a vet to examine, diagnose & prescribe treatment.

Good luck ...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my