Rawhide

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 5:37 AM

Post #1 of 15 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Rawhide Can't Post

Hi all,

Is raw hide dangerous? I read in a book a while ago that raw hide isn't that good because it can splinter and cut the dogs mouth.

I only gave my second dog, a bullmastiff rawhide because he has a chewing "problem". Well, anyway, he drools alot so the drool actually softens the rawhide...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 7:01 AM

Post #2 of 15 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Rawhide [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

don't quite think that rawhide could splinter... normally it'd get soft and wet...

actually i'm more worried about rawhide choking my dog... when he finally manage to pull of the middle part of the hide(i suppose that's where the scent come from) he loves to roll over on his back and chew it...

it's small, gooey, soft, wet. i often throw it away when i see that.

still, it's better to let them chew under "adult supervision" hehe

regards,
hunter

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2003, 7:43 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1017 views)
Shortcut

yup i also dun think rawhides can harm them. it lets them have something to chew on when they've teeth growing out (just like babies!!).
but i think that's one type : pedig*** dental bone is good!! there's 3 in each pack and i think they really clean their teethLaugh

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 8:58 AM

Post #4 of 15 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Rawhide [In reply to] Can't Post

The rawhide that i give my dog doesn't have hat, gooey, soft, wet middle...i give him the basic one..

Which brand is it??

Roll on his back? Doesn't it smell??

the thing is, I give the rawhide to tyson at night..to keep him occupied so that he doesn't chew up all the flowers/plants. He has the strength to carry the plant with the pot and earth.Unsure then chew's it all up...along with the pot(if its plastic) and digs out the earth....

the garden looks like a war zone....
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Aug 3, 2003, 9:01 AM)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 9:06 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Rawhide [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

ooooh... that is nice! but i don't think that's rawhide bone... can't quite recall... looks more like a harden piece of biscuit.... my dog loves it alot also~~~

regards,
hunter

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 9:19 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1010 views)
Shortcut

hi,

what's the basic rawhide? my assumption earlier was those "bones" that were knotted up... and when they chew long, the knot will open and it'll be like a piece of.... thing :/

don't know what brand... those regulars that are sold every supermarkets. cheap and not lasting. i don't give him anymore rawhides as they easily "open up"... so i've switched to those solid bones (no rawhide)...it's hollow in the middle, cylinder shaped... think it's beef bone or somethin' that were processed and dark brownish color.

i get him the big ones so that he could chew and not risk choking himself, and it's more cleaner + dry + lasting than the rawhides i got him so far. maybe you can try look for it so that your dog will end the garden war safely :)

ps : the first beef bone i bought for him, he chewed it often and sharpen it up with his teeth and made it like a spear.. very sharp :/ you can throw it on the ground and see it poking centimetres down to the earth. my dad had to cut if short with a saw to make the tip flat again :)

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 9:37 AM

Post #7 of 15 (1008 views)
Shortcut

um...should be the same..i thought u gave the "branded" ones where they fill the centre with the gooey stuff.

i give the solid ones..takes a longer time to go through.

have tried...but i'm afraid if its too big, he can't finish it. and then leave it there till the next time he's interested. Imagine: a gooey,slimy,slimy thing left on the dirty ground...imagine the amount of bacteria....yuck... I read abt this too...Unsure

hmm..i wonder..do u think if i "excercise" him enough that he'll get tired? today i walked him all the way to another area(i live in USJ5,i walked to USj2,which across the main road) At this time he's usually awake and looking for things to play. But now he's sleeping..... not sure if i over-excercised him...Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 9:45 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1007 views)
Shortcut

hi,

oh, no.. the one i meant is like when they opened up the bone, if you notice, there's actually a thin piece of "thing" which they love so much... the bone itself always get gooey anyway whenever it's wet, and yes it's really not hygenic.

but for the solid bones they're pretty solid and dry.. so i think it should be okay... maybe ur dog got more saliva to soften the thing up than mine?

well, u could tire him up everyday like this.. but if you go for vacation or somethin' imagine what will it be.... whoa.... what 'bout rubber toys..

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 9:49 AM

Post #9 of 15 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Tried em..he loses interest in them really easily. He only chews em when he's extremely bored...

ya...i think so...he drools alot...hehe..when he sleeps, the drool will go all over the side of his faceTongue

oh well...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 9:57 AM

Post #10 of 15 (1004 views)
Shortcut

hi,

ooh, i've thought of good rawhides. u can get 'em from pets wonderland... those good ol' american rawhide (i dunno.. think i saw american flag on it's label)....

it's nice, hard to be soft and yet, big and tough. by far the best one i've got for Hunter at lesser than 20 bucks. also, it's discount price! don't know if there's any left though....

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 10:02 AM

Post #11 of 15 (1004 views)
Shortcut

how big is big? is it the 1 feet long one?

i got the 5inch ones..the size is just right..for now.

i went to the pets wonderland in midvalley yesterday....didn't see any...maybe i over looked..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 10:04 AM

Post #12 of 15 (1003 views)
Shortcut

hi,

many sizes... many colors also.. from white to dark roasted brown *yum*

it's not displayed nicely... all thrown into a basket at the end of the aisle... should try out ur luck again during ur next visit :)

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 10:08 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1002 views)
Shortcut

ok.

thanksSmile

well,i better go to sleep now if i want to try to make it tmr.

Good nite!
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

fun
Novice

Aug 5, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #14 of 15 (988 views)
Shortcut

Hi.

Last time I used to give my doggie to chew the "bone" which you mean "when they chew long, the knot will open and it'll be like a piece of thing".

But now, I am not dare to give him to chew the bone alone. You know, the "piece thing" choked my dog. Walao, it is about 12cm long. I don't know how he swallowed it. Luckily my mom opened his mouth and picked the "things" out quicky. Phew......Unimpressed

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 11:10 PM

Post #15 of 15 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fun] Rawhide [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

exactly! that's why i always insist that it should be under "adult supervision" while they chew on. especially when the bone starts to get soggy, that's when they get choked easily. very dangerous if they are alone.

glad your dog is all right! choking is really scary! my dog once choked on his food and eyeballs turned white, vomitting white foam... but luckily i managed to "unchoke" him immediately... :|

regards,
hunter

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my