Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Help! I don't know anything about dogs.

in
Novice

Jul 14, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #1 of 15 (843 views)
Shortcut
Help! I don't know anything about dogs. Can't Post

My boss has just given me a dog. Its a 2 year old male poodle/terrier mix.

I don't know anything about dogs ie/ food & maintenance. Please help.

I'm worried about his size. He's soooo thin. Can feel every single bone in his body and he doesn't wasnt to eat much. He's currently eating puppy food ( I don't know what brand, and am thinking of changing to adult dog food.)

Please help.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 8:47 PM

Post #2 of 15 (840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [in] Help! I don't know anything about dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dog is 2 years now and I think he deserve adult food. Maybe give him some supplement to make him stonger and bigger size a little...

REgards,
Swee Eng

ashley
ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 9:09 PM

Post #3 of 15 (838 views)
Shortcut

Hi!! from ur information u seen like donow what is ur dog weight?? May be he is normal weight??
From his age u should change to adult food. Try to feed him milk or cheese with kibble may be will make him more appetite !! Dont worry Smile
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

(This post was edited by ashley on Jul 14, 2003, 9:20 PM)

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 14, 2003, 9:15 PM

Post #4 of 15 (837 views)
Shortcut

hi
giving your 2 year old dog maintenance food will be appropriate, but maintenance dog food contains lower protien compare with puppy food. since your dog is skinny then u can try puppy mix adult food. Probably u can give him vitamin B to boost up his appitite What was the previous food your bos been feeding him?

Regards,
thomas
>Thomas<

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 9:28 PM

Post #5 of 15 (832 views)
Shortcut

Don't over feed him at one go.. probably wasn't under a very good care.. now you have an oppurtunity to give him a better home. You can first take him to visit the vet to see if he needs to take any necessary supliment and what is his ideal weight.. I believe they will be able to advise you better. Cool

in
Novice

Jul 14, 2003, 9:35 PM

Post #6 of 15 (831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Help! I don't know anything about dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone. I'll probably take him to the vet this weekend.

As you can see, I don't know much about dogs anyways, I'll be going to the pet store in subang Parade to buy him some doggy food. I don't know what brand he's currently using, the food came in a plastic container (they threw the box away). But its dry dog food. BTW what's this kibble thing?

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

Post #7 of 15 (828 views)
Shortcut

Kibble is dry pet food.. you know... those biscuits?? Also known as pallets... Wink.. Maybe you can serve him 3 times per day not one lump sum, but abit by bit... I usually give Jaz kibbles in the morning and afternoon and mix it with dog food (can food) in the evening with rice.

in
Novice

Jul 14, 2003, 10:08 PM

Post #8 of 15 (826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Help! I don't know anything about dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh...! This shows how much I know (more like don't know). Actually I'm doggy-sitting until we find a new home for it. I only got the dog yesterday. I'm contemplating keeping the dog but am worried that I will not be able to give it the attention it needs. I'm still trying to decide.

Today, I fed him before going to work. The poor guy is all alone at home at the moment. I'll stop by the pet-store to buy his food and feed him again later at about 7.30 pm or so.

ashley
ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 10:19 PM

Post #9 of 15 (825 views)
Shortcut

For adult dog , i only feed twice a day. sometime they also cant finish. very naughty !Tongue
May be u can chooice a beter kibble for him, all of us also have 1st time ...... Dont worry here will have a lot member willing to help u !!Smile
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 10:26 PM

Post #10 of 15 (822 views)
Shortcut

At all time, must make sure there's is a bowl of fresh water there available for him... just like human.. no food, cannot mati.. no water, can mati wan lor.... when ever you are back home, play with him.. pay more attention.. soon, you'll feel very comfortable with him Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 14, 2003, 10:50 PM

Post #11 of 15 (819 views)
Shortcut

hi in, Smile

bringing the dog to the vet is a good idea. At least the vet can roughly figure out if the dog needs extra care/nutrition

if you have the time, do make a search and browse through our older threads....lots of information for a new dog owner..about food, toys, nutrition, behaviours etc

If you get super premium kibbles the nutrition should be sufficient for an adult dog but most of us here also give our doggies supplements.

u're really at the right place - everyone here is friendly and helpful. I'm sure u'll learn more about taking care of your dog in no time! Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 15, 2003, 2:16 AM

Post #12 of 15 (811 views)
Shortcut

I think the warm and helpful members have already answered all of questions.Smile

If you're worried he's home alone, dogs who are easily bored tend to get destructive.Maybe try getting home made toys to leave at home. Check this site out : http://www.island.net/~greghea/toys.html

I think mixing puppy food and adult food is a good idea..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

in
Novice

Jul 15, 2003, 2:24 AM

Post #13 of 15 (808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Help! I don't know anything about dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone. I will give updates next week on his progress.

Regards

sharon
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2003, 6:22 PM

Post #14 of 15 (794 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Why don't u get the dog food from some other pet shops besides the one in Subang Parade? Their prices a bit higher than others Unsure

Greetings
Me & Makiyo

in
Novice

Jul 20, 2003, 8:36 AM

Post #15 of 15 (784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sharon] Help! I don't know anything about dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advise. I am happy (and sad at the same time) to say that this morning, Bobby has been adopted by a dog-loving couple Samuel & Wendy. As mentioned earlier, I was doggy-sitting the dog while we looked for a new home for him. We were thinking of keeping him but because of our hectic schedule, we realised that its not fair to the dog.

The one week that Bobby was with us was truly a joy. Nothing makes your day like a loving pet who is there outside your bedroom waiting for you in the morning and giving you a rousing welcome when you come home from work. He certainly brought life and spark to our home.

I miss him dearly, the house seems so empty without him now. But I know that he deserves better and he will be happy with his new parents.

One day, when we are more settled, we will definately get a dog of our own. In the meantime, I will learn as much as I can through puppy.com. !

Again thanks everyone.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my