Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
very confused.. Help with GR

angelicia55
New User

Aug 26, 2006, 9:13 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1279 views)
Shortcut
very confused.. Help with GR Can't Post

Hi. I need some experiencees from GR owners.. i just adopted a 8 mths old GR from my neighbour cos she asked me if i wants it or not.. if i dont.. they might just get rid of him.. which is sad.. so i adopted it.. then i found out that the dog has weak hind legs.. i brought him to vet A, and she told me that.. since he is adopted.. i need to do blood test.. all sorts which adds up to rm200. then she says that my dog might have HD.. so he;'s got to do x-ray.. at least 2 views, one view costs rm50. regarding the weak hind legs, i was advised to give the dog glucosamine and chondroitin.. which they have no ex-stock, so she recommend i buy human glucosamine and chondroitin for the dog.. which i did... just bought it today./... i am wondering if it's okay to give them human supplements?? is it okay? then i went over to vet B to get some treats for my GR, i thought i might ask for 2nd opinion.. then vet B advised to have my dog checked out(by him)and if his hind legs muscles have shrinked, need to inject steroid.. for the muscle to grow back. so now i am like ?????? scratching my head... what should i do??

is it necceesary and healthy for the dog to be injected with steroid??this if the first time i hear that.. hmm...

please adive and share ur opinions on this... thanks...

megan's diamond
Dog Kichi

Aug 29, 2006, 6:41 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [angelicia55] very confused.. Help with GR [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there...have not exp w gr but my pup was sick for a while...i was runnin around a few vets n did not know wht is wrong w her...n i notice some of the vets r just lookin out to earn extra bucks from u...like they always recommend injections n vacines which i was also like huh???? without knowing for sure whts wrong w my dog??? i notice they r they new age vets...they will spend 1 hr talkin to u n explainin to u..but at the end of the day i get more confuse as all of them tell me diff things...then i went to an old vet...i was in n out in abt 5 mins...but he found out wht wrong w her n she's fine now...not too sure if he's diagnose her correctly since othr vets were like so bdazzled...but ultimately...she is fine now...u wana try my vet??

babybenji
Dog Kichi

Aug 29, 2006, 8:53 PM

Post #3 of 11 (1257 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

From what I know, weak hind legs are rather common for large breed dogs. 2 thing will cause this problem, either genetically from their parents, or due to lack of certain nutrition during growing years. The first thing I think you should do is to check what was the puppy feed on previously. Does the pup have sufficient protein, calcium, vitamins etc in his/her growing months? If the food that your pup takes previously is not sufficient for a large breed puppy, then that might be 1 of the coz so might want to start to give the pup a more balance nutrition food.

Like me, who is very worried about my GR having weak hind legs (my GR hyper active one), my vet advise me to give my GR glucosamine that is specially for large breed puppies. I normally don't give my pup human suppliments coz I worried their dosage and human dosage is different. Unless you know the dosage, better don't go for it. And yes, this suppliments seems to be very easily out of stock, I don't know why. I even tried calling the distributors if they can sell directly to me but unfortunately, they only can sell to vets. Luckily this distributor is so kind, he gave me a few vet addresses near my place where I can buy it. :)

My vet does not recommend X-ray for growing puppies because their bones and muscle is still fully develope yet and taking an X-ray now will not give a true picture of the puppy's condition. Wait till the pup reach adulthood or 1 year old, it will be more accurate and give your pup a better diagnose.

I haven't heard of dog to be injected with steriod also but I can ask my vet about it but I don't think it is a good idea to give steriod to a growing puppy. Not sure if it will upset its muscle growth. Later grow too big... :p

Benji's Blog
http://babybenji.blogspot.com

joantan
Dog Kichi

Aug 30, 2006, 5:10 PM

Post #4 of 11 (1248 views)
Shortcut

You can get Glucosomine and Chondroitin at pet shops too. Where are you located? There's a shop in Sunway that sells it. In fact, they have a few types of vitamins for joint problems. Some are supposedly to work wonders. I suggest you try the vitamins first before the streroids.

babybenji
Dog Kichi

Aug 31, 2006, 1:02 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Yes. There a lot of products that provide glucosamine & chondroitin. Basically when I get this product for my dog, it is only available in vet. It needs vet approval
for the dog. It has 2 types, 1 is for growth and the other one is to maintain. It cost more expensive than those in the pet shop. The growth should cater your GR till 1 year old and then should continue with the maintain type

Benji's Blog

angelicia55
New User

Sep 2, 2006, 8:30 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babybenji] very confused.. Help with GR [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi,

From what I know, weak hind legs are rather common for large breed dogs. 2 thing will cause this problem, either genetically from their parents, or due to lack of certain nutrition during growing years. The first thing I think you should do is to check what was the puppy feed on previously. Does the pup have sufficient protein, calcium, vitamins etc in his/her growing months? If the food that your pup takes previously is not sufficient for a large breed puppy, then that might be 1 of the coz so might want to start to give the pup a more balance nutrition food.

Like me, who is very worried about my GR having weak hind legs (my GR hyper active one), my vet advise me to give my GR glucosamine that is specially for large breed puppies. I normally don't give my pup human suppliments coz I worried their dosage and human dosage is different. Unless you know the dosage, better don't go for it. And yes, this suppliments seems to be very easily out of stock, I don't know why. I even tried calling the distributors if they can sell directly to me but unfortunately, they only can sell to vets. Luckily this distributor is so kind, he gave me a few vet addresses near my place where I can buy it. :)

My vet does not recommend X-ray for growing puppies because their bones and muscle is still fully develope yet and taking an X-ray now will not give a true picture of the puppy's condition. Wait till the pup reach adulthood or 1 year old, it will be more accurate and give your pup a better diagnose.

I haven't heard of dog to be injected with steriod also but I can ask my vet about it but I don't think it is a good idea to give steriod to a growing puppy. Not sure if it will upset its muscle growth. Later grow too big... :p

from what i understand of how the previous owner feeds the dog.,.. i think its weak hind legs should be caused by malnutrition. they feed him rice with leftover vege n meats.. my vet said it's better to avoid rice.. large breed puppies need a lot of nutrition for healthy growth.. they should be on kibbles til at least 1 y.o. and she recommended me to get the eagle pack kibbles for large brreed puppies. but my GR is such a picky eater.. surely he got used to rice n leftovers.. silly dog!! make me so angry.. have to feed him from my palm.. grrr.. and when i leave the kibbles too long, the ants came..!! RED ANTS mind you!!

reagrding the glucosamine n chondoritin, i actually cheecked the dosage. the one the vet recommended me is 4++mg per capsule and should be given 3 time a day. and the one i am currently giving my GR, which is for human is 500mg per capsule,so i only give him 2 times a day.. his condition is improving a bit.. but still i just hate seeing his skinny body n hind legs... that day i had the urge to almost go buy steroid pills for him.. luckily i came to my senses..and i did not.. worried he might die aye??

if u could ask your vet about the steroid injection on your next visit there or something.. i would very much appreciate it. i wonder what side effects the steroid has.. hmm.. thanks in advance.

angelicia55
New User

Sep 2, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joantan] very confused.. Help with GR [In reply to] Can't Post

hi. my gr is already on glugosamine n chondoritin.. but for human... cos that time the vet no stock. ive booked 2 bottles when their next stock arrive... RM285 per bottle(120 capsules). damn costly. will change to the dog one when my GR finishes the human G&C .

Kookee
Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2006, 8:59 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Are you first time dog owner? Why don't you check out the Canine Hip Dysplasia thread, to confirm your suspicion? HD is easily recognisable, common in large breed. We confirmed ours by bringing Kookee, our lab for an x-ray, one shot only, forgotten how much though but not cheap-lah. Can see at one glance one leg is bad. Mr. Vet advised us to put her on glucosamine. Better still, we are not supposed to do anything unless she's in great pain and can't walk. He mentioned her HD might or might not develop as she grows older. Putting her on glucosamine would avoid the formation of subsequent abnormalities on the bad leg. Steroid is a critical decision, factoring price and the side effects on your GR coz this supposed to be on long term.Good for you to research more and consider your options.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

babybenji
Dog Kichi

Sep 4, 2006, 5:46 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1196 views)
Shortcut

My GR has the same problem as your GR. Picky eaters. He was ok at first until about 6 months old. He gets tired of his same old food. I don't really like the idea of keep giving him different food/brands everytime he gets bored so I still give him the same old food but mix a hand full other brand just for taste. So far so good. Since your pup is still used to rice, maybe you can mix some rice with kibbles for a start and slowly mix less and less rice. It should be able to help. For the ants problem, try putting the bowl on bricks or a small stool. It should help with that problem.

Hmmm... your vet recommendation and mine is rather different. I was only asked to give 125mg capsule twice a day when still a pup and 475mg capsule daily when he reaches adulthood.

Benji's Blog

angelicia55
New User

Sep 22, 2006, 6:36 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babybenji] very confused.. Help with GR [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie.. i dunno about the dosage but seems like his hind legs are improving a lot... stronger.. he can run around real fast now. no limping.. dunno if it has something to do with the supplements.. or the kibbles. the only problems i ahve with him is he's still a very picky eater... i have to sit there with him... and accompany him eat til he finish.. .. he onyl eats like 1 meal a day.. though in the morning i leave his kibbles there.. he dun even touch it.. any ideas of recipes for a GR' brbeakfast? i tried kibbles with yogurt.. but eh doesnt like it...another problem i have is if i unleash him.. he go dig lotsa holes in my garden!!!!Mad any advise on that?

sbt
Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2006, 9:54 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Since the vet did not mention Hip Dysphasia you can assume that he got malnutrition and lack of exercise.

I bought a GR female for Pet Wonderland, about 3 months old. When took her back she couldn’t even sit up. Her hind legs very weak. I was so worry.

I decided to put her on a good quality diet and plus a regime of exercises. Just daily walking briskly. I was able to see her improving. She now “gallop” like a whirlwinds.

The problems cage all the time, and lack of exercises, her legs muscles atrophy and weak.
With proper exercise and good diet, your dog will be okay. GR are very active dogs, need plenty exercise.

Glugosamine n chondoritin, you may or may not need as your Vet did not diagnose HD or joint problems.
Good Luck.
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

(This post was edited by sbt on Sep 24, 2006, 9:59 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my