IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Weevil worms found in famous dog food

sean

Feb 20, 2006, 11:03 PM

Post #1 of 15 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Weevil worms found in famous dog food Can't Post

To all... it's recommended u check ur dog food thoroughly once u open ur dog food packing even it's a famous brand and continuously checking on the food while feeding ur dog...

This morning while i was going to feed my GR puppy i found there are a lot of larva type of worms in my dog's food. I am very shocked and angry for that. Immediately i took the worms and dog food to verify how harmful and what happened to vet. Dr. told me that is weevil worms which usually found in dog food ... that can be caused of the large important quantity and poor storage management of those importer.

I hope anyone could tell me how harmful for this weevil worms found in dog food... and anyone ever had this kind of issue and how is the settlement with either pet shop or the pet food company could tell me what should i do...

thanks.

Cheers...

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....
Jojo-GR[m], Bobby-BOXER[m], Gigi-ACS[f], Jewie-GR[f]

Please sign in SPCA petition for enhanced protection against animals in Malaysia.
www.catzmedia.com/spca/petitions/index.asp

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 21, 2006, 7:18 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sean] Weevil worms found in famous dog food [In reply to] Can't Post

name and shame please: name of pet shop and name of pet food maker.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 21, 2006, 7:37 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Petshop or Pet Food company will definitly change the dog food for you with no question ask.

This normally is due to Petfood company or Petshop have no proper storage management. Weevil can be found on any brand of dog food. Because One infected bag of dog food can infect other dog food bag also.

If you see small worms like weevil inside the dog food that mean this bag of dog food is just not long ago been infected. If you see Alot of adult weevils (with wing - can fly wan) inside the bag it mean this bag of food already long been infected with weevils.

Conclusion, young weevil in bag most probably infected from petshop & adult weevil in bag from petfood company. Does't mean the brand you brought got weevils inside the bag is not a good brand of dog food. Because, as I say before one infected bag of food can infect others brand of dog food.

If your dog already eaten the food. No worry, just brought some deworm tablet for him/her to comsume will do. Weevils cannot kill ur dog.

CheersWink

Si|verDreaM
Dog Kichi

Feb 22, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #4 of 15 (2275 views)
Shortcut

xperienced twice with 2 different petshops ledi. i guez its no point telling the petshop off bcz all they can do is change anade pack for u. these 2 petshops are actuali nearby my hse, so sumtimes i hv no choice, more to like last min purchase when i was 2bz to go to the my regular petshop to buy piper her mum mum. so now i alwiz make it a point that if i hv no choice, i'll juz get the loose n small pack to last 4 a few days..n checking the food b4 feeding ur bb is a gud habit ..Wink

sean

Feb 23, 2006, 11:33 AM

Post #5 of 15 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Weevil worms found in famous dog food [In reply to] Can't Post

The brand i using is Eukunuba... i thought of changing the brand recently....

I very shocked when that day i found the worms inside the foods.... I use this brand to feed my golden, boxer & cocker...

I been using this brand for more than 4 yrs but recently get know a lot of other brands like Innova, California Natural, Avoderm, Canidee ..... are available and heard better quality than Eukunuba. Anyone ever tried those brands please help to give some comments and suggestion.

I believe this is not the pet shop's faulth as their pet food clear very fast and that was the reason i travel quite a distance to buy from them as i won't worry to get expired food for my babies.

thank you everyone.

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....

Please sign in SPCA petition for enhanced protection against animals in Malaysia.

sean

Feb 23, 2006, 11:44 AM

Post #6 of 15 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Si|verDreaM] Weevil worms found in famous dog food [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

I believe this kind of problem is more on the pet food company poor storage management not the pet shop. If the petshop just change another pack for u without giving any hassle I think they are quite responsible. Usually when i buying food for my babies i will check on the expiry date to make sure everything is fine.

The petshop i buying foods from is kinda far away from my home but their pet food clear really fast and won't be must worry about the expired food. They are recommend if we are feeding small breed then we should get a big pack as once opened the food is not "fresh" to keep so long. But if u $always buy those package which last only few days... that is very terrible... time wasted and not economic as small pack is more expensive. If i not mistaken only ANF this brand using aluminium foil to pack their food, they asked me to change this brand but i still prefer other brand.

My pet food is clearing fast also as all my 4 babies share together and I still got 2 unopen packs of Eukunuba, i think of returning to pet shop and change to California Natural which declare better but bit more expensive.

thanks for comment.

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 23, 2006, 12:29 PM

Post #7 of 15 (2253 views)
Shortcut

The reason I asked you to name the brand and the pet shop is so that other people who might have had the same experience as you with the same pet shop and/or brand might also be prompted to write. If it's just you, one might say it is an isolated incident, fair and good. But if other people have had the same experience with the same pet shop and/or brand, then we can see that there is a pattern, and we will be able to act accordingly. I'm not familiar with the pet food industry, distribution networks &c &c, but I would imagine that even if a particular pet shop has a high turnover of stock, this in itself is no guarantee of freshness. I can imagine a pet shop owner who is concerned primarily with making profits cutting corners in order to increase his profit margin by getting old stock at a discount.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 23, 2006, 5:17 PM

Post #8 of 15 (2248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [All] Weevil worms found in famous dog food [In reply to] Can't Post

Eukanxba Brand I can tell you they have very good storage place. I am sure it come from other brand of dog food brand. Trust me, I know.

If your dog is doing fine with this brand my advise don't change the food. Other brands of dog food you mention also good. But, not sure ur dog suitable with it or not. But, if you wanted to try it is up to you.

Good luck.Wink

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 23, 2006, 7:08 PM

Post #9 of 15 (2243 views)
Shortcut

weevil is common in grain based food and grains itself. there are many type of weevils..so if you our rice, the bugs in the bag is also a kind of weevil worm / bug.

weevil worms can be found in just about any brand of kibbles if storage is not proper or inefficient.

in fact some treats also contain them! i do recall one occasion when some treats that we received for our girl had this bright metallic greenish weevil that was dead! kinda huge weevil at about 1.5" length.

sean

Feb 23, 2006, 8:08 PM

Post #10 of 15 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Weevil worms found in famous dog food [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info. Luckily my dog doesn't seen got any problem after eating that weevil food... I am trying on Canidae and any results will report to u all...

Cheers.

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....

Si|verDreaM
Dog Kichi

Feb 23, 2006, 10:50 PM

Post #11 of 15 (2226 views)
Shortcut

yeah they are kinda reasonable but i but i tink its due to slow trafic flow of the sales on their dog food. from the condition of the shop i can concluded dat the stock x move fast. can even see dust on the packaging. btw i've tried ekanuba once & found dat my bb's stools smelled stinks, all tis while my bb is taking eagle pack & the stools r not as bad as when she wz taking ekanuba :)

obviously small packs are expensive & i dun do it alwiz otherwise i'll be broke ..hahahahz..but i dun buy & keep either as I would prefer to get as when it finishes..

supermutts
K9 Senior

Mar 31, 2006, 10:16 AM

Post #12 of 15 (2020 views)
Shortcut

yeah name the shop pls. eukanubas move very fast? sea park?

but as suspected when i first read ur post, u are buying the huge packs.

could u provide the expiry date?

hv weevil, most prob its almost expired, cos the bugs need to get inside to reproduce,

they dun hide their eggs in the dog food when its being manufactured.

the latest batch of euka holistic tht i have expired at April 2007.

alot of ppl are feeding eukanuba, the stock won't sit for long in the shop unless

nobody goes there or its those mega packs. other brands like eagle pack the exp date are

up in a few months...

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

sean

Mar 31, 2006, 7:34 PM

Post #13 of 15 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Weevil worms found in famous dog food [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

the petshop is in jb...yes, i bought the largest pack 15kg as i feeding my large golden, if buying medium or small pack will be not economical. Normally after i opened the pack I will pour it into my dog food container as it's better way to keep the food fresh instead of keeping the food in the bag.

But more than one month already, that pet shop still hasn't replaced for me..... saying they need to claim, the one i asked them to replace is about 5kg but they said only can replace 3kg for me somemore waiting for so long already... terrible so i decided not to buy pet food from them anymore.

Now i feeding my dogs with avoderm specialty, it seen good and my dogs love it.

Cheers,
Sean

My furkids....

supermutts
K9 Senior

Apr 1, 2006, 8:24 AM

Post #14 of 15 (2004 views)
Shortcut

oh in JB,no wonder, i dun think shops in klang valley will treat customer this way, esp those reputable ones. shud fire them kao kao!

u might wana complain directly to DHKS. 03-7804 7808 tell them which shop

in jb.

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

Leo_ShihTzu
Novice

Apr 2, 2006, 12:32 AM

Post #15 of 15 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Guyz,

I understood how everyone are feeling naive towards such unforeseen circumstances. First and foremost, I exposed myself pretty much with operational issues from warehousing & distribution (FMCG or Fast Moving Consumer Goods) to supply chain logistics for your information.

Allow me correct the scenarios and spare the justice. Whenever a weevil worm is concerned, its majorly related to pest issue. For more info, http://www.hinckleyandbosworthonline.org.uk/...ype=Page&ID=9683

YES, storage area is very important to temporarily keep goods/stocks for a period of time especially the dry ones but why storage area, one may ask...

The connections are covered vastly by several factors or criterias such as temperature, humidity & ventilation. Let me give an instant example, say Red/White Wines. You see, these brewers have to keep the processed grape wine in a designated area with a general understanding of "The Longer, The Better". Some collectors go to an extent of keeping the wine for century until the willingness of opening ceremony is realized. If you are lucky enough, the smell alone can stimulate your reaction when fragrances pop out from the bottle's mouth BUT you even will feel an instant rush of awkward should the aroma smell 'fishy'. Though the faulty smell is not directly related to the causes... What you gonna do? I leave it to you for decision-making.

So how could all these scenarios differ from each other? I definitely point my finger at the person who handled that storage area for the failure of upkeep a proper environment settings BUT I gotta remind myself in advance to continue seaching the roots' before jumping into conclusion. At the end of day, the final rectification lead to original source.

P/S: Do you know that Government of Australia & New Zealand strictly prohibit all items from other countries to enter without a presentation of Fumigation Certificate? Such moves are in accordance with preventative measure to stop disease from infected country likely cause by Japanese Encephalitis, H5N1 Avian Influenza Flu and the recent HFM (Hand, Foot & Mouth). How are the disease transmitted? Ever thought of bugs who are the ultimate culprit that IMPORTED micro-organisms along with foods?

Hope my info helps...

Cheerz
Leo the Shih Tzu Frown
- Pekingese & Lhasa Apso -

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my