Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Usage of Frontline and dog poo

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 7, 2005, 11:16 PM

Post #1 of 15 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Usage of Frontline and dog poo Can't Post

I have a 6 months old puppy which is a mix Schnauzer and Cocker Spaniel.

I noticed some ticks crawling on the floor some days back so I have started using Frontline spray on him. I noticed when I was applying Frontline, his nose starts to water. I am worried of the Frontline solution will affect his health as obviously it was affecting his nose that's why it started to water. I would be grateful if someone can advice on this.

Also, after I have applied the spray, he likes to lick himself. Will it affect him if he swallows the solution that is on his fur?

Also his stool is black as compared to the normal stool. I only feed him Pedigree puppy food and various doggy snack which I obtained from pet shops. Does black still indicates that the puppy is sick? Can it be a sign of poisoning or internal bleeding? His stool has just started turning this colour about 3 days back after I started the Frontline application. So I was also wondering if this is an effect from the spray.

Other than that he is a happy dog. His appetite is still good and he still plays and jumps around as normal.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2005, 12:34 AM

Post #2 of 15 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Usage of Frontline and dog poo [In reply to] Can't Post

as with any ticks solution, avoid areas such as nose, mouth & eyes. you won't find any tciks there anyway as there not much blood to suck there. Pay attention to the area in between the toes. I don't think there is much harm as my dog also lick himself after we have spray the solution. Normal dogs will produce black stools. It depends on what the dog eat. Why are you feeding pedigree?? It's not so good compare to say...science diet, eukonuba, etc.

As long as the dog is happy, eating well...you should not worry too much.
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 8, 2005, 2:08 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Usage of Frontline and dog poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Khoo,

Thanks for the advice.

I didnt know about Pedigree not being good for doggies. But why not good ah? It was recommended to me by a vet actually.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2005, 4:16 PM

Post #4 of 15 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Pedigree is not a premium brand but I think you should ask your vet for advise on other products as well. My vet tells me there is too much salt in pedigree.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 8, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #5 of 15 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Ok. Thanks. I will look into it and ask around. Will try other brands to see if Scruffy likes it. Wink

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 8, 2005, 7:16 PM

Post #6 of 15 (1024 views)
Shortcut

You can't get any tick if you keep your house clean always. Keep your dog inside the house & after each walk clean their body & Brush their coat daily. Try not to use tick spray too much. Use it when you encounter serious tick/flea problem.Wink

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #7 of 15 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Usage of Frontline and dog poo [In reply to] Can't Post

true...you see your dog also dislike the spray. Some solution quite strong.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 14, 2005, 12:30 AM

Post #8 of 15 (985 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chris,

So far so good. I have sprayed Front Line once and it has been 2 weeks but I see any ticks coming back. I will try to use as little as possible as I noticed Scruffy shedding more after the application of Frontline.

Another thing is I bathe my dog once in every 4 days. My friends who are experience with dogs adviced that bathing should only be carried out every 14 days once. Is this true? She said that every 4 days once is too often and my dog might get sick.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 14, 2005, 4:46 AM

Post #9 of 15 (978 views)
Shortcut

Once every 4 day is too often.

If you can try it for 1 month once. How to do that? Just wash their leg and backside after their outing & pee/poo. Brush & comb twice a day. That it. once a month or 2 week once.Wink Less bathing the better but must keep them clean all the time!!!Wink

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 17, 2005, 3:20 AM

Post #10 of 15 (951 views)
Shortcut

Ok. Noted. Was bathing him often cause he likes to be bathe. I bathe him in warm water and he seems to enjoy it. But now have to stop lah.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2005, 6:42 PM

Post #11 of 15 (944 views)
Shortcut

wah...you treat your dog like king lah...warm water some more. next time you bath in cold water, he will not like it. Don't pamper too much.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 22, 2005, 12:43 AM

Post #12 of 15 (912 views)
Shortcut

Smile Will have to try to remember to not pamper him so much lah. Already having problems with him cause he is so attached to me now. Whenever I take him out and if I disappear out of sight for awhile, he will go crazy. My friends who are holding on to him will end up having scratches all over their arms from trying to hold him still to wait for me.

Even in the car also now he wants to sit on my lap only and no where else.

Luckily I will be sending him to the OB class so hopefully can get him to detach abit. But I dont know how he will do in the stay command though. UnsureUnsure

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2005, 6:42 PM

Post #13 of 15 (899 views)
Shortcut

you see, some more have to sit on your lap. My wife also do not get to sit on my lap. (last time, not married that time, can lah....hahahhahah)

janthk
Canine Addict

Jun 22, 2005, 10:10 PM

Post #14 of 15 (896 views)
Shortcut

Hahahahah!! Pity your wife loh.

But Scruffy is so manja so I cannot resist loh. Tongue

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005, 12:29 AM

Post #15 of 15 (890 views)
Shortcut

ooooiiiii....my wife also very manja, ye know......but cannot pamper one.....climb over you head...the ye know....hahhahah

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my