toxic toad

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 11, 2003, 7:05 PM

Post #1 of 18 (1403 views)
Shortcut
toxic toad Can't Post

hi all,
3 days ago my dog was feeling ill. this happen when i was back from a movie when i saw him lying on the pavement quietly. this was pretty surprising b'cos he was always hyper active. then i notice he couldn't walk property and i was worried. the next day i took him to the vet and guess what happen he purge in front of the vet Blush with some blood spots in it. immediately the vet told me it was definitely food poisoning. i was confused b'cos there isn't any toxic plant/food etc in my garden. then i suspected it was the toad who created the problem. my dog likes to play around with anything that moves especially toad/frog, u c toad contains toxic and if your dog plays around with it then it will release toxic which will be very armful to the dog.
just sharing my experince with all of u out there.
>Thomas<

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 11, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #2 of 18 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zack] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyo ... sure kah?? B'cos of a toad? Hope you dog gets well soon...

Regards,
Swee Eng

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 11, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #3 of 18 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyo, yaloh. real perl also not so real man. now he is so skinny like just came back from Ethiopia. so cham man. but he is recovering now but very kan sek doen't like his kibbles anymore
>Thomas<

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 9:03 AM

Post #4 of 18 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Hey Zack....my dog killed a toad recently too...luckily it was a baby toad...the first time i caught him he ran around with the toad in his mouth...later on because of the slime he started foaming a bit in his mouth...so i quickly washed his mouth with water and he also drank a lot of water....then i surfed the whole internet about toad and their threats to our furkids and yes toads are poisonous creatures, especially certains species of toads....they'll release the poison if they feel that they're being threatened to protect themselves....if a big dog consumes a toad most likely will cause discomfort but if a small dog eats the toad, the dog may die....so gotta be careful not to let our dogs get hold of one.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 13, 2003, 9:32 AM

Post #5 of 18 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

wow. thanks for sharing aunty.... i bet there is lots of ppl who don't know this. I saw Mocha chasing after a small baby toad before and now I'm worried !

cheers,
minglmy

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 13, 2003, 9:40 AM

Post #6 of 18 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry poisons will normally take effect pretty fast so if nothing's wrong with Mocha now nothing to worry about.

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jul 13, 2003, 4:46 PM

Post #7 of 18 (1380 views)
Shortcut

i am not sure if it's true but i think i heard that toad is indeed dangerous for doggies..

ya ppl out there...take care of your doggies..don't let them get near those nasty monsters..Pirate
Meme

odie moves MY world!

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jul 14, 2003, 5:32 AM

Post #8 of 18 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Hi Zack
So sorry to read that your dog being ill from toad poisoning. I know how you feel. Few months back my Howler (Min Pin) also bit a toad. Didn' t really notice he it until he started foaming in the mouth. My panic button set in. Wash his mouth and wipe his whole body. Sent hin to the vet immediately. Doc told me it was poisoning of some kind. Like you, I don't have any poisonous plants in my garden and I'm careful about his food. When we got back from the vet, my dog immediatly went to a flower pot to start digging. What do I find? A toad behind the flower pot!! What did my fearless hero wanted to do? He wanted to play with the toad again. Got rid of it as fast as I can. Now I check the garden often to make sure there are no toads around.
Don't want to go through that experience again.
Glad that he is on the mend.

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 14, 2003, 8:17 PM

Post #9 of 18 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renachow] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

hi renachow,
did Howler ignore his kibbles after recovering? well, this is happening to me. U c, i don't think Zack realised it was the toad that poisoned him instead he thought it was the kibbles that did it. he will eat anything except his kibbles. now i have to feed him rice+chicken breast+carrots+eggs+corn. one more thing he is having Constipation. i just fed him some papayas in order to relief himself. Did your Howler encountered this problems? The dam toad really did a lot of havoc.

regards,
Thomas
>Thomas<

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 14, 2003, 8:57 PM

Post #10 of 18 (1369 views)
Shortcut

hi ginl,
lucky nothing happen to your dog, well my dog is fully recovered but the only thing abnormal of him that he lost interest in his kibbles. Worst of all he constipate.

Regards
Thomas
>Thomas<

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 15, 2003, 4:43 AM

Post #11 of 18 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Yah he was ok after that....back to his normal self....what do u mean constipation? He tried but can't poo at all? Or the poo is very hard and firm....coz certain kibbles will make a dogs poo softer which is not good actually....i know if u feed a dog real food their stool tends to be firmer which a healthy stool is suppose to be.

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jul 15, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Hi Thomas

Do you mean that Zack is still ignoring his kibbles? I did not feed Howler his kibbles that night. I gave him 2 hard boiled eggs and honey water. Next day I mixed his kibbles with his favourite vege (green capsicum). After that it was back to normal. I know what you mean about the toad. Now every evening, I search the garden, especially behind flower pots. He is the only one who will play with anything movable and try to bite it. Doesn't matter what. My Pixie (also min Pin) is more selective. Thank goodness for that. My dogs love crunchy veges - green capsicum, carrots, ice lettuce, fruits and sometimes i give them tomatoes. They don't have constipation problems

~renachow~

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 15, 2003, 5:49 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1360 views)
Shortcut

well he try to poo but can't. two days without any stool worries me, anyway he's ok now but the colour of his stool is lighter in colour now, probably b'cos of the food he is eating now, priviously it was darker (dark brown) don't know if it is healthy or notUnsure. btw what do u mean by Real food?

regards,

thomas
>Thomas<

jan
Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2003, 1:16 AM

Post #14 of 18 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Hi there !!

After hearing what you and the other members have said, i think i have to becareful also as my furkid always went to the back garden to pee/poo. some more the backgarden has a small river. i think this place should be having toads/frogs also. sometimes he also like to sniff around and after hearing what you all said, it's kind of dangerous as he also likes to chase and play with living creatures. he even try to bite my little hamsters...Unsure so now i have to keep my hamsters far away from him....hehehe...i think he treat the hamsters as his toys. as you know hamster will run and my furkid will start chasing the hamsters...

once i did not lock the hamsters cage carefully and i used to put the cage outside the house. There was a mongrel in my bf's house and use to stay outside the house. one day, i found one of my hamsters died and the mongrel bite it. i saw blood on the floor...kinds of yucks....Crazy i think we have to becareful as our furkid tends to treat most of the small creatures as their toys..

^^Jan^^

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 16, 2003, 6:45 PM

Post #15 of 18 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jan] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jan

sorry to hear about your hamster. This reminds me of my sister's guinea pig got bitten by her own pussy cat. she was really upset about it but what to do, she did not lock the cage properly and this due to her own negligence. i think it's normal for our furkids to chase around small creatures like what u said as though like their toy, but worst of all after kena poison oso still not realize and want to chase the toad again. now i have to monitor him all the time (really pening kepala).

be more cautious on your furkids especially while he is at your backyard.

Regards,

Thomas
>Thomas<

jan
Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2003, 7:36 PM

Post #16 of 18 (1343 views)
Shortcut

Hi there !

Actually that time i have four hamsters, one was seen bitten by the dog. another three went missing and i couldn't find their bodies until now. Don't know what happen to them ? Could it be the mongrel had eaten them ?? Izzit possible for the dogs to eat hamsters?

I also have guinea pigs but all died due to unknown reason. maybe of sickness. maybe inexperienced of taking care of guinea pigs. my furkid also likes to nibble the guinea pigs and lick it. and something could turn to horror as my furkid gets excited and try to bite it but actually he was playing with the guinea pigs.

You furkid still want to chase the toads ? Hopefully he knows what really happen to him was caused by the toads.

Last week, i think my furkid started to cough and some more he coughed out some foaming type and it was yellow in colour and sometimes white. what could have make him coughed like that? he sounds like hard to breath. he will be like that once in 2 months time. i think this is the 4th time i'm seeing him like that. it's kind of scary for me as i do not know what to do. after a while, he will be normal back.

^^Jan^^

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 16, 2003, 8:25 PM

Post #17 of 18 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jan] toxic toad [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

well i'm not such a dog expert, but i might give u some opinion. Your dog is coughing forms may due to the food that he consumed or maybe me had eaten something he wasn't supposed to eat. just for for your information sometimes the authorities do spray some chemical to the grass outside i.e the common area and if your dog accidently eat it then u what will happen la. when i 1st got my dog back he use to cough whenever i take him up for a walk and sometimes there is some white and yellow foams too. i was so affraid that he might be infected with heartworms so i took him to the vet and the vet said he is too young to be infected. It is due to the dry food that he eats, so i mixed some warm water to his food then everthing went ok. if your dog is having difficulty in breathing/or panting there is a possibility of a heartworm infection. Don't worry, the symptoms of heartworms r panting, lost of appitite, chronic cough, etc... and if u a giving your furkid heartworm prevention pills then it should b ok.

regards

thomas
>Thomas<

jan
Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #18 of 18 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Hi there

Thanks for your informations. If my furkid is infected with heartworms infection, he should lose of appetite. but he seems to be okay with the dog food and some more can ask me to give him food when i was eating in the kitchen. He used to follow me to the kitchen and waiting for me to give him fruits and some treat. yesterday i just gave him rice and he like it. mostly i will give him fruits.

i think i should go and consult the vet before something worse happen. besides that, last night i found blood stain at the back of his body. i think he might have hurt himself cause he want to get out from the cage. he squeeze himself through the cage. he is good at opening the cage so i have to use the wire to lock the door.

^^Jan^^

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my