IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
spaying will lead to skin problem?

lisachew

Nov 12, 2002, 6:17 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2182 views)
Shortcut
spaying will lead to skin problem? Can't Post

I have often wondered if spaying female/male dogs can upset the skin and lead to hot spots and lots of scratching.

But I do wonder how they cope without the estrogen/testrogen because that is taken away when the ??? are removed.

In humans, the lack of estrogen/testrogen leads to skin problems (more sensitive and itchy).

any comments?
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 12, 2002, 10:05 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] spaying will lead to skin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard of that before, but my spayed Doberman has a bit of skin irritation. I'm not sure if it's related to her spaying, because Dobermans are notorious for their skin problems.

-= Tisha =-

May
Old Hand

Nov 13, 2002, 6:51 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2164 views)
Shortcut

I never come across this issue before. I do notice that my doggie does sometimes scratch and lick at her scar but that doesn't lead to any skin problem. She had the operation about 6 months ago.

melanie
Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2002, 7:17 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Lisa,

I have just spayed kiddi last 2 weeks. At the moment she is okay with it and sometimes I notice she scratch a lot...

Maybe we can ask our seniors on this matter??

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 13, 2002, 10:54 PM

Post #5 of 13 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melanie] spaying will lead to skin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does she scratch the stitches/scar? Or is her whole body itching?

-= Tisha =-

melanie
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2002, 12:29 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] spaying will lead to skin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Hmm...she do scratch her whole body and sometimes lick the scar too..that makes me worried if the wound tear off......

Cool

alicia
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2002, 1:16 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2148 views)
Shortcut

in our family, we have about 8 dogs at the moment. 7 are spayed (yup! all girls) and none have exhibited skin problems)
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 15, 2002, 4:13 AM

Post #8 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] spaying will lead to skin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

8 dogs?! Wow! Now that's what I call heaven!Wink

Anyway, how long has the scar been there? I doubt that it will tear after a few months.

-= Tisha =-

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 15, 2002, 5:50 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Wow.,.. what kind of dogs? different breeds or the same breed?

alicia
Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2002, 10:53 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] spaying will lead to skin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

6 live with my parents. They are all mongrels that we have taken in because of various reasons. One was tied up and left in the hot sun (Sabrina). Another was run over by her own owner who then refused to pay for her treatment (Honey). One was found in Cameroon Highlands (Mississippi). Glory, a Spitz mix (with the temoper of a woman on perpetual PMS) was given to us by a friend. The other two (Panda, Pepper) are descended from a Dalmation given to us by poeple who couldn't cope with her. She was called Patches and died a few years ago, but she and all her progeny have the SWEETEST temeperaments ever.

The remaining two are mine (see the picture?) Monty is the white fella and Sheeri is the funny looking one. Monty was bought from a oone-off breeder and Sheeri is also another one picked off the streets.
Alicia Ling Horsley

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 16, 2002, 11:43 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2124 views)
Shortcut

wow you guys are so kind.,.. thats really great of you to take in dogs like that...

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 17, 2002, 12:18 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2123 views)
Shortcut

I'm glad you were able to rescue those dogs! Smile

-= Tisha =-

alicia
Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2002, 1:01 AM

Post #13 of 13 (2119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] spaying will lead to skin problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

actually, it's due to my parents' good example. my dad will take care of anyone and anything he can even though he may get impatient and grumble. my mum doesn't even like animals (or so she says, although we don't believe her) but says that we MUST always care for those weaker than us. so me and my sisters (4 girls, poor dad Tongue) have the habit of caring for unwanteds, even people. LOL.

btw, one sister is currently volunteering at the zoo at the moment and finds it really challenging but rewarding. maybe other puppy.com.my members would also like it? anyway, to those of you who are, call the zoo. it is much easier to get to in terms of pucblic transport compared to the SPCA.
Alicia Ling Horsley

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my