Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
spayed female still attracts males

butterfly123a
New User

Dec 31, 2003, 3:48 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1134 views)
Shortcut
spayed female still attracts males Can't Post

I have a 5 year old golden retriever who was spayed before she ever went into heat and I have noticed a male dog around one year old humping her. My question is will a male dog still breed with a spayed female? Just tonight I noticed her licking herself and some swelling in I guess whats called her vagina (ignore my ignorence please)? Could this be because she mated with the male dog or something more serious?

rebooto
ALPHA

Dec 31, 2003, 7:03 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [butterfly123a] spayed female still attracts males [In reply to] Can't Post

hi hi...

a warm welcome to ya 1st....

as for ur problem...i guess u better check with ur vet if ur GR is pregnant...but don't think so they could do anything since the female is spayed...unless the spayed process was failure....pls check with ur vet.

well, i heard that all this humping around still exist even the male is neutured and female is spayed...

do keep us inform about this...Wink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 31, 2003, 7:06 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Humping occurs in dogs for a variety of reasons ... Primarily, it's a reproductive act, but dogs also hump to show dominance ... So, dogs will (regardless of sex) go through the motions of humping each other (and humans) for reasons of showing dominance.

Young male dogs are often keen to flex their muscles, and can be eager to express dominance ...

Dominance humping, even if male on female does not (as far as I know) usually culminate in actual penetration.

A spayed female should however not be showing any signs of going on heat (swollen vulva etc) ... So, the swelling is unusual - a trip to the vet is recommended just to make sure there is no infection etc ...

Cheers Smile

butterfly123a
New User

Jan 2, 2004, 9:32 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] spayed female still attracts males [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys you have helped me out alot. I am calling the vet tomorrow.

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 22, 2004, 9:37 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1042 views)
Shortcut

I am having the same problem... I have a female and 2 male Cockers... The female is spayed and one of the male is neautered.. The female still go to the male to allow him to smell her on purpose... They have been like this and had sex and all but never get pregnant... I asked a vet before and she said there were 2 methods of spaying or something like this... She even drew the diagram and stuff (I cannot really explain in detail but roughly)... 1 method is to cut certain area and she still produce the smell and stuff while the other method is to cut everything... I had asked her can she do another operation on her to get all unnessary out, she suggested it will do harm to her because will be hard to find the unwanted area so better just neautered one of the male.. 2 males were fighting very badly and even biten me when I try to devide them... ahh am I making any sense... See what I tell you, I guess I am no good in this, sorry... Now still drive me up the wall... Last 6 months no fight and I thought was safe but this time around they did fight twice but not too bad ones... My female also hump at the male, so irratating.. Anyway, is this normal? Fiona

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 22, 2004, 11:21 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vicfion] spayed female still attracts males [In reply to] Can't Post

Understand what you are saying ... and yes, unless there is serious reason to do so, vets are usually reluctant to go into a dog a 2nd time ...

It's much more difficult for a vet to find his/her way around inside a dog during a 2nd operation, and the 2nd operation carries increased risk ... So, I do agree with your vet that it's probably safer to just neuter the male dogs ...

But as mentioned in the earlier posting ... desexing a dog only ensures that impregnation does not take place ... desexing dogs do not guarantee that humping will stop ... the act of humping is not just for reproduction ... and many dogs will continue to hump even after desexing, as expression of dominance ... This is quite natural ...

That said, desexing your dogs may reduce or prevent them from fighting over mating rights ...

It may also be useful to note ... that most dog fights are just very noisy and look more fiercesome than they really are. The majority of dog fights don't last very long ... As soon as one dog submits, the fight is usually over without any serious injury ... But when dogs are seriously fighting, then unless you are experienced & quick, don't try and stop the fight with just your hands ... Pouring cold water over the dogs can be effective and a whole lot safer for you ...

Cheers Smile

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 24, 2004, 5:38 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your reply... Actually I know I should use water but too sudden and at that moment I did not think of anything but just want to stop them right away...
However, desexing a dog is really irratating.. My father's dog was so sick that I had to take him back in my place because he is taking a trip for holiday... You should see the mess my Cocker did.... Pee everywhere and worst in the house to mark territory... Gosh... and he follow the female everywhere... and one day they can have sex (tied up) for like 3 times.... I had one of my male neautered only... And he just bully the one who is neutered.. Wonder shold I neauter the other one? Vet told me to try on one first to see if they still fights until now see... ANyway, thanks so much for taking time to explain.. Take care... Fiona

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 24, 2004, 7:01 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Can imagine how you feel ... and with 4 dogs of our own its kinda like "been there done that" ... and we soon learnt that feeling "frustrated" is really more a mindset than anything else ... Tongue ... As soon as we realise that dogs will be dogs and that dogs really have no intention whatsoever to upset or frustrate us ... it becomes much easier ...

I guess what I think is this ... unless you seriously believe your dogs make good breeding stock and you intend to breed - then the best thing you can do is desex your dogs ...

Cheers Smile

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 7:35 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1008 views)
Shortcut

I know what you mean.. But I cannot help it... Just get one too angry whenever this occur.. And I just hate dogs being so.. you know.... By the way, what dog are you having?I did spay my female and neutered one of my male...I did not neautered one of the male was because people still ask me to lent them my male.. But not often just one or two so far... Thanks...
By the way, I thought you are better than me in explaining stuff... I refer this message to you, can? Thanks...

"bern_lee (Novice) Post #5 of 5 (4 views) Shortcut Feb 24, 2004, 2:07 PM
Re: [vicfion] spaying /neutring - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Dear all,
I have a female Rott which I don't intend to breed any pups b'coz she really not a 'Show' dog quality even though she's very obedient and clever. She is about 4+ mths old. When should I spay her? After her 1st heat or before? Can I send my dog for obedient competition after spaying her?
Thanks in advance. "
Keep in touch.. take care.. Fiona

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 8:06 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... Smile ...

We have a Beagle, a Labrador, 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks ... a mixed Spitz (well, I think its has some Spitz somewhere Tongue) ... and ... errr ... several adopted mixed breed pups (sort of temporary maybe ... but too long a story to explain in forum) ...

On the part about lending your male dog out as stud ... hmmm ...

Ok ... I admit that I have very firm views on breeding, and I think people should not even think about breeding or lending out their dogs as stud unless they really know what they are doing ...

Breeding without sufficient knowledge and without caring for what happens to the pups produced merely encourages puppy milling, backyard and poor breeding ... and that is (to my mind) wholly irresponsible and contrary to the love we profess for our dogs or dogs in general ...

I will try and find the post you referred to and make response ... thanks

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 25, 2004, 8:09 PM)

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 27, 2004, 6:00 AM

Post #11 of 12 (1002 views)
Shortcut

I agree with you.. I volunteer in Humane Society in the USA before... Very hearbreaking screne.. I would take in cats and dogs and find them home a day before putting them to sleep... Gosh make me so broke too hehehehe.. Anyway, I do select who I barrow to.. Actually I want to have one more litter fopr him before I go to neauter him... I want his blood line continues that's all... Hey you know anyone who love Manga (Japanese Animation).. I have some tapes I brough back from USA and want to give away.. Very expensive so I decided not to throw... Let me know yeah? Thanks... Fiona

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Apr 2, 2004, 12:34 AM

Post #12 of 12 (950 views)
Shortcut

hi,

maybe ur dog too sexy...try to put some lousy make-up for her see if the problem goes away?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my