IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
half hearted eating

delithra

Jul 22, 2002, 7:38 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3438 views)
Shortcut
half hearted eating Can't Post

Axel is fed 3 times a day with one and one quarter coffee mug full of doggie biscuits. (Will post his progression after I have measured him and weighed him again).

We watched him eat in front of his bros/sisters and he was the one that ate the MOST and the FASTEST. He also drank the most milk and licked the bowl clean.

He was doing that the 1st day he arrived (thinking his siblings were around). But it has been a week and now he does not even look at his milk anymore, and has to be coaxed to eat his food. He takes about 40 minutes to eat everything, and that also, I have to hand feed him. We give him cheese now instead of milk.

Is he still missing his brothers and sisters or is he sick? We spend a lot of time with him and he seems very happy. He loves to eat cheese and the treats that we give him for home obedience training ..which is coming along well.

Why is he not eating his food at all? He just smells it and walks away and lies down. We try to tire him out by playing outside with him, but even then, he takes 2 mouthfuls and walks away to sleep. Is this normal dog behaviour?

Hubby & I are very worried !!!! Anyone with an answer ?

Alexthian
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2002, 7:54 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsurehello:

so sorry to heard that,can i know how big for you puppy now?do you bring him to check out whit the vet?

joonkeet

Jul 22, 2002, 8:09 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Hi

My Tzu used to have this problem before.

Well, he used to be very excited and and eat as fast as he could. I only gave him kibbles that time because he was only 5-6 months old.

Well, I changed the brand of the kibbles later on. Seems that after one month, he seems to be not interested in it anymore. Just like your case, smell it and walk away. Sometimes he just take half of what I offered. Anyway, after almost 3 weeks behaving like that, he got back to normal. What I found out is that I gave him too much amount. Didnt notice that as he gets slightly fatter. Well, I guess that he knows about it and tried to go on a diet. I did make sure that he is normal though, especially his daily routine and stool. SO what I did is to give him the correct amount, which did the trick.
The good news is that after that 3 agonizing week for me, he manage to diet himself back to slim side.
LaughGuess that even dogs knows how to keep fit huh? Tongue

Maybe that time its the changing teeth season? That was what causes him to changed appetite too?Unsure

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2002, 8:15 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3433 views)
Shortcut

hi deli,
actually, how big is your coffee mug? how many grams per day ? Based on ur earlier postings, I presume Axel is 3-4 months old now. ..I would give him 350 - 400 grams per day...and no milk.
I'm very-very-very shocked to hear that he's taking 40 min to eat his meal... Does not sound good to me.. Unsure . Rex (4-mths then) took less than 1 min to finish his 200 gram. ... but again, he may be dead hungry. I serve(d) him twice per day.
Since he's a GR (ie. long coat) and imported, have u tried to feed him in the air-cond room? Any noticeable difference? Could it be due to the dog food? Have u tried to change to another brand?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Pat

Jul 23, 2002, 2:00 AM

Post #5 of 13 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Hi Delithra,

If your dog eats other food like treats and tasty food other than kibbles with enthusiasm, then there is nothing wrong with your dog as it may be just choosy. A sick dog refuses to eat anything generally.

It is also normal for dogs to eat fast in front of other dogs because they are worried that other dogs may eat their food up if they are not fast enough.

It is also normal that once a dog gets used to the taste of a particular brand of dog food (even after the third day), it loses its interest over the smell of the food and will be excited again if you change it to other brand (such enthusiasm to last at most another 3 days).

My dog takes one day to finish her food, usually before she goes to bed but she will nibble some at hourly intervals. Some dogs eats once a day (with a bigger portion of course). Mine eats at its own pace- that's just her personality which I have to accept. If she fails to finish it it would be "brought forward" to the next day!

Regards,

Patricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2002, 6:00 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Pat,

But... for the food to be brought forward to the next day..... Don't you think it's unhygienic?

I soak the doggie biscuits with some water and heat it in microwave oven for 10 seconds to bring out the smell. He will normally gulp down everything within a minute. Hahahaha...
ENG
Proud owner of George, a male pug puppy
Born: 10/3/02

leopui
K9 Maniac

Jul 23, 2002, 7:09 AM

Post #7 of 13 (3418 views)
Shortcut

Apart from the above member's opinion, have you thought of your Axel is playing smarter than us human being ... it just knew that the food is "always" there ... it may taking it sweet time when ever it feel like to have?

What about limited the time flame of feeding? Say like 20 minutes allowance for your pup to finish it meal? If he is not finishing within the time flame and left the food aside, just pick up and don't leave it with the pup until the next serving. Care to try?
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

les
K9 Maniac

Jul 23, 2002, 7:34 AM

Post #8 of 13 (3417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah.. Agreed leopui.. I think its a best way to try that. Leave the food there for 20 mins.. and take it away.. haha..Tongue

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

leopui
K9 Maniac

Jul 23, 2002, 9:42 AM

Post #9 of 13 (3415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I did that all the time to my pups and dogs and the successful rate is more than 95%. Eat what I served ... pick nothing else and behave!!!

To love your dog doesn't mean that you have to spoil them and treat them like a king or queen!!! Many of the time, you just need to play hard hearted!!!
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

delithra

Jul 23, 2002, 9:48 PM

Post #10 of 13 (3401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all the postings!!! My Vet solved the problem and it cost me RM 5.00! He suggested Mixit by Hills, and it worked like a charm. He barks for his food now. He takes about 4 1/2 oz per feeding, 3 feedings. I am following the recommended chart on the dog food bag which states he has to eat about 400-470 grams (14 oz) by the time he is 15 kg. ( He should be 14kg now)

No more milk though.

thanks again for all the posts !!!

delithra

Jul 23, 2002, 10:07 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually I leave it for 20 mins..but when since he was taking longer and longer....we got worried. But now its gone in 2 mins. he gets food at 6.30am, 1.30pm and 8pm.

(This post was edited by delithra on Jul 23, 2002, 10:09 PM)

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 23, 2002, 11:22 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3396 views)
Shortcut

hi deli,

1. what's Mixit? can elaborate more?
2. do u feed him the 'large breed puppy' food ?
3. make sure u don't over-feed him (especially large breed pup) becoz' it might affect the joint development. What we need is controlled-development of the bone structure.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

delithra

Jul 24, 2002, 5:15 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] half hearted eating [In reply to] Can't Post

Mixit is by Hills and its for dogs and cats. Its a meat paste ( just like canned food, and costs RM5.30 a tin). Most pet stores don't carry it because I checked one in TTDI and Hartamas today. Its actually for when you want to change a dog's diet, whether its to a different brand of kibble, or from canned to dry.

http://www.sciencediet.com/puppy/mixit.asp

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my