Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
how to prevent carsickness?

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Nov 4, 2002, 7:29 AM

Post #1 of 11 (1181 views)
Shortcut
how to prevent carsickness? Can't Post

my silky Daren has vomitted each time after travelling car. huh......b4 vomitting, a lot of saliva.....this is his symptom of vomitting! Unsure

hm......everyone can solve this kind of problem?

thanks oh........ Shocked

regards,

Yuki

bengyong
Novice

Nov 13, 2002, 12:42 AM

Post #2 of 11 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yuki79] how to prevent carsickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I have two mix puppy with me now and one of them (Brandy) vomitted once when I took them to the vet.

The same thing happend. Start with lots of saliva then follow by a mess in my car Unsure

I think we should start driving them for short distance first and slowly increase the distance. That might help them to get use to travel in a car.

btw, preventing them from looking at the road while travelling might help a little too.

However, if all this doesn't seems to prevent the carsickness and you must take your dog for a ride, maybe you can consider to use a bigger car that doesn't shake so much while it is moving Cool

hope this help

<<<<<< BENG YONG >>>>>>
Have you walked your dog today?

kbs
Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2002, 2:40 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Hi Yuki,

I think we have to start associate car-ride with our doggy from young or bring them out more often, start with short distance and gradually increase it. And don't let them jump around or move too much in the car. Snuffy has vommited once when she was a 3 months old pup, during my trip to Genting with her.. But since then, (**touch wood**) she has no problem with car ride <I make sure she doesn't even stand up in the car, the only allowed action for her is to sit and down>. I bring her for car-ride every few days..

Is your dog nervous to go for car ride? It will certainly help if they are, have another person to calm him/her down in the car. Or you can try to tired them up a little before each car-ride, so they will just lie down or sleep in the car to avoid car sickness.

Regards,
KBS

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 13, 2002, 6:07 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1153 views)
Shortcut

I think for most dogs and puppies, they should be able to get used to it after a while. My first few trips to Padang Merbok with my PUG Mike always end up with vomiting. These days, Mike get used to travelling in the car even I have to travel several hundred KM with any more vomiting incident. He has learnt to relax and sleeping whenever he is in the car.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Nov 13, 2002, 7:04 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] how to prevent carsickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for replying me. but my Daren is difference case.

actually i bought Daren from KL while he was 2 mths. he has travelled from KL to Melaka, but seem he is ok, relaxing, sleeping and never vomiting. Laugh

in Melaka he also never vomit when i bring him to vet and anywhere. And he can play in the car too. his 'vomiting' bad habit has started since he get a fur ball last mth. everytime he is after meal he sure vomiting. but now this won't happen to him again.

unluckily, this few week, no matter how long the distance was, even is within 5 KM, he also start salivate and finally vomit all the kibbles with white bubble! so funny! already after 5 hours from meal time he still vomiting the kibbles!! due to undigestion????? Unsure

somemore, last time he can play in the car without vomiting. but...... this time he will sit properly and never play around, finally get vomiting too!! why?????? Mad

actually, wat's going wrong with my Daren?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 13, 2002, 8:51 AM

Post #6 of 11 (1147 views)
Shortcut

I think Daren might be suffering from something else other than car sickness. Perhaps the more experienced people can help? I suggest taking him to the vet.

-= Tisha =-

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Nov 13, 2002, 5:19 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] how to prevent carsickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

i have asked the vet abt Daren situation. he said may be his hair ball haven't cleared all. but seem not the reason cos he din't vomit after meal tat happened b4 to him.

regards,

Yuki

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Nov 30, 2002, 12:23 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Wow .. If you find a solution to car sickness let me know. My Niles has always been car sick, right from when we first got him at 9 months to now he is 7 years old.

It doesn't seem to matter how far, sometimes we just get in and go around the corner, other times he can last for miles and hours, but more often than not he vomits. It also doesn't seem to matter how often we take him out. We've just learnt to live with it. We always pack plenty of paper towels, plastic bags, disinfectant and cover the seats with towels.

Some of the things we've tried are ginger and pineapple, which we've been told is good, but didn't help. I also saw on the Barking Mad TV show, where they suggested taking the dog down to the car and just letting them sit in it. Don't actually take them out. The presenter seemed to think it is over excitement at being in the car, so if they don't associate the car with exciting trips out, then they will be more relaxed and less likely to vomit. (This I haven't yet tried because we really don't take the dogs many places now here in Malaysia as there aren't many dog-friendly places to go Frown)

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2002, 12:40 AM

Post #9 of 11 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] how to prevent carsickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ausranger, will you be joining us tomorrow 30th Nov for the Agility Party? I understand you went for the previous gathering. Would loved to see your dogs. Please check the Calendar section for venue and time. Hope you can make it. Cheers

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 16, 2003, 9:12 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonlyh] how to prevent carsickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

hohoho....i've got something that might do the trick..

beside starting with short distance then gradually a long one, try distracting their attention!!! nervousness could be the reason behind all the vomiting actions(i think). Try using tissue papers,balls or soft toy. Let them play with it while you're driving.

When Baby first started out, she was feeling very uncomfortable in the car and at one point she was about to vomit.Thinking that she might throw up anytime,i grabbed some tissues to cover the car seat. Then she started playing with the tissues and thru out the whole journey,nothing happened. She is now a car addict and will go crazy over tissue papers!!Sly

But beware,there will be a lot of cleaning up!! can go crazy picking up those tiny bits of tissue papers

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 16, 2003, 10:13 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1017 views)
Shortcut
[ALL] 8 CAR SAFETY TIPS [In reply to] Can't Post

You can take steps to guarantee that your growing puppy will love car rides and ride in style.

TIPS:

1. Don't feed your pup a full meal within an hour of departure and always allow some time for a potty break b4 you start your car.

2. Introduce your pup to your car gradually over a week or 2. Spend a few minutes in the car with treats without the engine running. Then take a drive around the block withyour puppy inside. Let it build up its confidence and slowly increase your travel time.

3. Pack bottles of water, a few treats & paper towels for clean-ups (even for short trips).

4. Secure your puppy inside your car by placing it inside a carrier or a dog harness that can be attached to a seat belt in the back seat. These devices prevent your pup from spilling into your lap, potentially causing a collision. They also protect you & pup in an accident.

5. Bring one of your pup's favorite toys and a towel or blanket to make it feel more at home inside the car.

6. Invite a fren to sit in the back seat with your pup. Have your fren teach your pup to sit & lay down and reward these successes with treats. Your pup will quickly learn that it pays to be on good behaviour inside a car.

7. Take your pup to a variety of fun places so that it doesn't associate the car strictly with trips to the veterinary clinic. On days of vet-appointments, schedule time to take your pup to one of its favorite places after the exam so it will develop a positive association with the clinic.

8. Don't leave your pup alone in the car for more than 5 minutes at a time, especially during warm days. The heat inside the car can easily kill a dog.

* When bringing pup with you on fun outings, be sure it is safe in the car. An unrestrained pup can injure itself & other passengers.

(from Training Your Puppy Smile)

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my