Will ticks become resistant?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 5:49 AM

Post #1 of 43 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Will ticks become resistant? Can't Post

After long term usage of Frontline or any other chemical that will kill ticks, will ticks become resistant?
i meant those products will no longer effective after long term usage.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #2 of 43 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Will ticks become resistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

hard to say...if ticks are like mosquitos, those ticks which survived the last anti-tick/flea application may be immune to the product.

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 8:34 AM

Post #3 of 43 (1892 views)
Shortcut

yeap yeap icezcream's right

it might and might not...not too sure. Depending on the chemicals too.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

2ephyr
ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 9:00 AM

Post #4 of 43 (1889 views)
Shortcut

u r tokin bout evolution here....charles darwin law: survival of da fittest...

hmmm...let me see...among a population of ticks, there's a probability where at least one single tick is mutated n become resistant 2 da chemical...usage of da chemical will kill off all da normal ticks leaving behind da mutated ones...therefore da mutated ones will be able 2 reproduce n pass down their resistance gene to their next generation of offsprings n eventually da mutated ticks will become da dominant species...where de entire population is now resistant 2 da chemical...

time is da factor here....bacteria mutate at a faster rate compare 2 other species...im not sure bout ticks though...

*correct me if im wrong*Wink

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 4, 2003, 9:27 PM

Post #5 of 43 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2ephyr] Will ticks become resistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

wow your right. are u a science student. i study about revolution now during my college biology lesson. so to minimize the chance of occurance i'm using two diff type of spray, two type of shampoo and garlic feeding. haha!!

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2003, 1:29 AM

Post #6 of 43 (1874 views)
Shortcut

careful not to 'overload' the dog with flea/tick-killing chemicals...

i think daily grooming of the dog, a balanced and nutritious meal (of course with garlic), once a month of frontline, and also frequent cleaning of your house and the place where your dog sleeps can keep flea/tick in check without using so many types of flea/tick repelling products...

just my 2 cents worth..Smile

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2003, 8:45 PM

Post #7 of 43 (1868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Will ticks become resistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

i've tried to buy a brush for grooming but i saw its wire is so hard and sharp. will it hurt my dog? as for cleaning the place my dog sleeps, my dog tends to sleep everywhere, so it's hard for me to clean the specific place. and he like to play around the garden, so maybe there is why the ticks tends to come back.

Pacco de Mongrel

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 5, 2003, 9:04 PM

Post #8 of 43 (1866 views)
Shortcut

well, garden is the safest spot for ticks and also the hardest spot to clean...

use realitydreamer's method, get a chicken to pick those "blood suckers" out from your garden...SmileSmile

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2003, 12:12 AM

Post #9 of 43 (1865 views)
Shortcut

if your dog is short-haired...then actually you don't really need to groom...unless if you want to get a 'curry brush'....but that's not necessary....if your dog has ticks/fleas, it's really easy to see..

i know...my house also has a garden and it's hard to get rid of them once and for all coz i also have not much idea how to treat the grassy areas....unless we get a chicken lah.....hahahahah.....Tongue

but i think if we treat the dog regularly, maybe we can break their cycle coz they can't feed on the dog...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2003, 8:03 PM

Post #10 of 43 (1858 views)
Shortcut

u too has a garden? tell me what method you use to overcome ticks!

Pacco de Mongrel

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2003, 11:51 PM

Post #11 of 43 (1853 views)
Shortcut

actually i also no idea how to treat the garden...Crazy but i am now treating the dog first...checking regularly for fleas/ticks... i am thinking of mixing the flea/tick powder and then spray the whole grassy area with it.. but my mom says the grass will die....alamakkk...Unsure

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 7, 2003, 6:08 AM

Post #12 of 43 (1848 views)
Shortcut

haha!! i had also tried to spray Frontline around the bushes. but little bit only. i had suggest to my daddy that , why don't we cover all the grasses with simen. then my father say that grandpa will kill me because he like gardening.

Pacco de Mongrel

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2003, 2:13 AM

Post #13 of 43 (1839 views)
Shortcut

waahh....spray frontline around the bushes....that's damn expensive man!!! Crazy don cover with cement lah...your house will become VERY VERY hot coz no grass there...some more, the tick/flea will still lay their eggs in the cracks....Unsure very hard cycle to break...but i think the flea/tick powder maybe can work lah.....

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2003, 5:12 AM

Post #14 of 43 (1837 views)
Shortcut

tick powder? what brand are you using? recommend to me lah.

Pacco de Mongrel

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2003, 5:30 AM

Post #15 of 43 (1836 views)
Shortcut

sorry sorry....should be tick solution....

my mom bought it from the pharmacy one...i also dunno.....you mix the solution with water (they have a certain solution to water ratio) and the whole thing will become white like milk but very strong smell one....Crazy
maybe you go pharmacy and try asking them...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2003, 4:23 PM

Post #16 of 43 (1829 views)
Shortcut

is it very effective? how much you bought for it?

Pacco de Mongrel

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 9, 2003, 1:38 AM

Post #17 of 43 (1816 views)
Shortcut

i'd say quite effective coz i used to use that solution to bathe my dog....but have to do this every week or every 2 weeks ah boh the ticks will keep coming back to my dog....CrazyCrazy i think it's not very expensive...but i don't know how much lah......Crazy
but i don't know if spraying the solution on grass the grass will die or not lah...hahaha.......Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 9, 2003, 2:50 AM

Post #18 of 43 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

It might be a good idea to check the name of this solution that you are using ... it sounds very much like amitraz (also known as mitaban) ... a very powerful pesticide ... used in the treatement of dermodetic mange ...

Shawn Messonnier, D.V.M., is a holistic veterinarian and a nationally recognized expert on integrative medicine for animals says: " ... Mitaban can be toxic and must be used safely ..."

Unless your dog really needs it - its probably safer to use something like FrontLine to keep the ticks away.

... If your dog keeps getting re-infested with ticks - then chances are you have ticks in your garden or yard ... and unless you get rid of the ticks from your garden ... the cycle will repeat itself ... and no matter what you do your dog will keep having ticks.

For the garden ... there is a product called TACTIC (can be found at pharmacies, vets or some pet shops) ... that can be made into a solution and then sprayed on the grass ... this will help keep your garden free of ticks and break the cycle ...

Cheers ...

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 9, 2003, 6:10 AM

Post #19 of 43 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Will ticks become resistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there Smile

i'll check the name of the solution that i'm using....but i don't think it can be used for demo mange....not that strong gua....Crazy

i've stopped using the solution on billy for quite some time now (used to use it) coz the smell is very strong and i think i'm literally "poisoning" my dog... but i somehow noticed that frontline only worked on my dog once and the 2nd time i applied, the flea/tick didn't die....Crazy

thank you for recommeding a product for the garden....i think amanda and i really need to treat our garden....will the grass die if i spray the solution??

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 9, 2003, 6:10 AM

Post #20 of 43 (1810 views)
Shortcut

i'll try to get TACTIC as soon as possible. has you tried it before? is it very effective?

Pacco de Mongrel

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 9, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #21 of 43 (1809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke, Amanda85] Will ticks become resistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well ... it's actually the smell you mentioned that makes me suspect amitraz/mitaban ... 'cos amitraz/mitaban has a terribly strong smell too ... Smells like the insecticide ... *ugh* ...

I know breeders who have used TACTIC ... and they say its quite effective at controlling ticks in the garden ... But PLEASE follow the instructions carefully ... because TACTIC can be toxic when wrongly used ...

The grass should be safe ... Smile

Good luck ...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 9, 2003, 9:15 PM

Post #22 of 43 (1801 views)
Shortcut

what about plants and trees? will it die?

Pacco de Mongrel

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 9, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #23 of 43 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Plants and trees should be safe too ... Smile ...

Cheers

2ephyr
ALPHA

Oct 9, 2003, 11:44 PM

Post #24 of 43 (1795 views)
Shortcut

yeah im a science student....studyin pharmacy now....Wink u leh?

i dun think u need 2 use tat much of stuffs lor...i only use frontline spray once a month for prevention...tats all...if i find any ticks, just pick it up wit my hands...Tongue

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 9:01 PM

Post #25 of 43 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2ephyr] Will ticks become resistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

next year i'm planning to take biomedical science. where did you study at?

Pacco de Mongrel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my