Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
UNSCRUPULOUS VET IN KL

elliotc1
Novice

Jul 1, 2004, 5:51 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1331 views)
Shortcut
UNSCRUPULOUS VET IN KL Can't Post

It is quite bad that now a day Vets are becoming so money hungry that they will try to take advantage of the good nature of pet owners. Let me share this experience with all of you.

Today, I took my pet dog to see a Vet as his mouth was feeling uncomfortable in eating food. Before even examining the condition, the Vet painted a worst case scenario and said an X-ray is needed. As we love our pet so much, we will feel very concerned and agreed to whatever needed to be done, should be done. I was asked to leave my dog there and he will call me later. To cut the long story short, at the end of the day, an X-ray was done, nothing was wrong with the mouth bone structure and an antibiotic injection was given. It was just a common infection.

Now comes the catch, the bill was over RM200. I was shocked but what to do.

After reflecting back, and check around with a pet shop owner, I have learned that the Vet bought the x-ray machine for over RM80,000 and trying to recover his cost. Many cases saw that Vet needed X-ray.

A trusted professional has turned into an unscrupulous robber, preying on pet owners whom are normally good in nature and love their pets.

Well, I was cheated or robbed in broad daylight.

Hence, all pet owners, please be careful when you see a Vet in KL, always check how much the price is and if you feel suspicious, seek another opinion.

Lastly, if anyone out there had the similar experience, please respond to this thread.

If necessary, I will expose this Vet identity so that this clinic will not “rob” again.

maxsimkh
Novice

Jul 21, 2004, 1:21 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elliotc1] UNSCRUPULOUS VET IN KL [In reply to] Can't Post

hi.

i'm very sorry to hear that what had happen to you. I'm a final year veterinary student in upm. well, next time if you like to have your animal check or seek for medical consultation, why don't you bring them to upm here. we have a very well established university veterinary hospital with dedicated vets, staffs and students to offer you their help. hope this can be useful.

mx

elliotc1
Novice

Jul 21, 2004, 5:26 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maxsimkh] UNSCRUPULOUS VET IN KL [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Mx,

Am I glad to hear of your offer; Bet many are feeling the same.

Thank you.

For every pet lover interest, like myself whom have never been to UPM, could you kindly direct us to the right or specific address, or person to contact, when we are in need your consultation. And, your opening hours.

I only wish that those who really care or has interest in animals should be in your profession.

Once again, Thank you kindly.

Elliot.

eli
Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2004, 11:29 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1245 views)
Shortcut

hi elliot, i really sympathise with u. without going into specifics, i just want to say i've had unpleasant encounters with vets too. my feeling is that some have invested a lot of money to open their own practice and are desperate to recoup the investment - at the expense of our pets and our wallets!
but i also know this great vet whom you immediately know just loves animals by the way he handles them, and who rarely charges for consultation even if it sometimes comes with creams and medicine.

just wondering if vets come under a governing body like the doctors do? would be good if we know what kind of recourse we can have.

as for UPM, i've had good and bad experience. it's cheap but don't count on having the same vet student treat your pet, so continuity may be problem and u end up saying the same things to different vets at different times. (separately, one vet even said rather stupid things about my dog in front of me, like 'why u look like every dog in my neighbourhood?'. didn't she realise every dog owner thinks his/her dog is unique? Mad )

the last time i brought my dog for an appointment, the vet couldn't locate her earlier x-ray so how to compare x-rays?
but it is a teaching hospital so stuff does go missing --- or so i'm told.

anyway, i hope your dog is fine now.

elliotc1
Novice

Jul 22, 2004, 7:00 AM

Post #5 of 13 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eli] UNSCRUPULOUS VET IN KL [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eli,

What really bad is, this unscrupulous vet knew that pet owners are normally better nature people. To take advantage over one's good nature is worse than a crime.

Anyway, he is a poor businessman. For being untrustworthy, they are chacing their good customers away and soon kill his own business.

BTW, could you kindly advise some details of the good vet that you have mentioned. I would certainly like to use his services.

Cheers.

eli
Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2004, 3:57 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1226 views)
Shortcut

dunno if there are guidelines against 'advertising' the vet.
shall i email u privately?

elliotc1
Novice

Jul 23, 2004, 5:15 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1223 views)
Shortcut

It's OK, Eli.

This is sharing useful information, not advertising.

As you can read in the forum, very often a lot of members are asking info of reliable vet.

So, I think everyone will benefit from such good information.

Please advise details.

Admin

Jul 23, 2004, 5:22 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1220 views)
Shortcut

It is ok to post

eli
Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2004, 4:45 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1197 views)
Shortcut

hi, sorry to sound so 'chicken' :)

i think dr ben of animal clinic has a wonderful way with animals (that is very consoling to their owners!). he has a clinic in and one in taman desa area.
however, he is usually at taman desa. at only on weekends. clinic no. - 78753457

and there is a dr balani who makes house calls. have not met him personally but was touched he bothered to return calls and called again to check on the condition of my cat.

maxsimkh
Novice

Jul 29, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Dear Eli,

I'm sorry for ur bad experiences in UPM but may I know how long was it ago? Pretty much to my knowledge, those clinicians here in UVH (University Veterinary Hospital) are very good and FIY we have medical records to check for every single case. Sometimes, u have different clinicians taking over the case and they asked relevant questions or update the medical records, it doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing. Yes, u dun get the same student to take care of ur animal all the time but this is better than leaving ur animals in some clinic in which they were left alone most of the time except during medication. As a final year student, I can assure u that all of my classmates are very loving with ur baby doggie. u should see how some of us spend nights in the hospital, taking care of those animals in critical condition, checking them up every 15 minutes. and i must say, u should see how dedicated the clinicians are, for they do rush back in the middle of the night while u r still sound asleep for emergency treatment in the ICU. the clinicians and students here dedicated their time and well, sleep for ur animals, they are trying their best to offer any help they can to all of u who seek help in UVH. No doubt that some incidence like in ur case, the lost of the radiograph may happen, but tis is not an everyday thing, for sure. we sincerely apologize for those incidence. i hope u do find UVH is a good place for ur animals as we really do have clinicians and lecturers who are among the best in Malaysia! Cheers!

maxsimkh
Novice

Jul 29, 2004, 7:28 AM

Post #11 of 13 (1189 views)
Shortcut

UVH Small Animal Clinic (UPM) is operating from 8.30am till 3.30pm on weekdays (clinic will continue to operate during lunch hour) and from 8.30am till 11.30am on working Saturdays. U can check with this site for the map to get to UVH. http://www.vet.upm.edu.my/~uvh/location.htm U can check on our faculty website to get to know more about our UVH function. http://www.vet.upm.edu.my/~uvh/ hope u find this useful.

elliotc1
Novice

Jul 30, 2004, 5:39 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1176 views)
Shortcut

Masimkh,

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful.

I'm sure many will benefit from your info and appreciate your kindness.

CHEERS!!!

eli
Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2004, 12:20 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1170 views)
Shortcut

my last visit was 2 months ago...
i understand and agree with all u have said. when other (commercial) vets are ready to give up or dunno what to do, i find that UPM is probably the best place to go - and at a reasonable rate too.
don't misunderstand me. i was merely stating my experience and i will continue to go to UPM when i have to.

(btw, at last year's dogathon, 2 malay first year vet students wanted so much to pat my dogs. they did - using rolled up paper! i was shocked. good thing my dogs were okay. if i were a dog, i'd have snapped at them! anyway, they were soundly reprimanded by one lecturer who kept saying 'that's not the way to pat a dog!' and asked what year students they were. they said their palms were moist...)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my