My dog is menstruating

yckuan
Novice

Jul 18, 2004, 8:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1023 views)
Shortcut
My dog is menstruating Can't Post

Dear all,

Hi! Can't find a suitable category to post this subject. My dog is menstruating!! At first I just noticed droplets of blood trails around the house. I thought Toby had injured itself but I couldn't find any obvious external wounds. Finally after a more detailed examination, I noticed blood stains on her genitalia. I read that dogs will clean up their own menstrual blood i.e. by licking the area but why is my dog still dripping blood everywhere? She occasionally licks herself but it's not enough. Surely, I can't let Toby into the house like this. It's got to stay outside. Cleaning up is hard -- the blood stains are tough to come off the concrete.

Actually, this is her second period. Dogs come into heat twice a year, right? The first time, it lasted about a week. I didn't think it was her period then because she was only 1 1/2 years old. I thought she had some concealed wound which I couldn't find. Now, I am convinced that she is menstruating.

If I got her spayed, will she menstruate any longer? I am not spaying her yet but I keep her well within the confines of the house. Spaying means hysterectomy, right? Or is it tubal ligation? If I get my anatomy right, she should stop menstruating after hysterectomy but not tubal ligation, shouldn't she? Well, I hope I don't have to get Toby a hysterectomy just to curb the menstruating problem. It's like killing a mosquito with a nuclear bomb. I hope she learns how to clean up after herself after the next couple of menstrual periods.

Regards,

yckuan

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 19, 2004, 5:55 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yckuan] My dog is menstruating [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, so Toby is on heat now.... have you tried buying dog pads.... just like human ones but you have to get a dog diaper to hold it in place.... PW got sell.....

Spay her, it will save you the headache and also future problems.... some female dogs can develop tumours in their uterus or have phantom pregnancies or something else..... My female lab is spayed and she is fine.... she is 4 now.... she doesn't come into heat anymore and she acts and plays like a normal dog.... Anyway, I had to spay her too coz I have 3 male dogs hahahah.... there is a myth about spayed dogs being over weight, well, it is just a myth coz my dog is in perfect shape and weight, she eats the same amount of food as the rest of my dogs and she is well muscled too......

If you want her life to be longer and healthier, spay her, if you want her to breed or just to keep her like you do now, then don't spay... it is up to you....

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

JolinG
Doggyman

Jul 20, 2004, 4:21 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1013 views)
Shortcut

hie....u can try sanitary pads for dogs if it REALLY bothers u that much

its a normal thing for female dogs to be on heat...like girls get their as well!!.......yes ur correct dogs on heat twice a year...varies from 6 months to 9 months depends on the breed n size of dogs....last to aboutg 12 days to 2 weeks depends on individual dogs...

so for u...i say spay her........u dont want any unwanted puppies that nobodies gonna want right?

also would be healtheir for her as well.....ovary n uterus cancer would be out..mamary gland cancer also would be reduced by having spayed her..

im not really sure whether its tubal ligation or hysterectomy ..but i think MOST probably a hysterectomy

and NO...spaying is not like killing a musquito with a nuclear bomb ..urs just exxagerating lar!

yckuan
Novice

Jul 21, 2004, 4:16 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] My dog is menstruating [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for your advice. It seems spaying is recommended.

So spaying is just hysterectomy? In that case, I don't see how ovarian cancer can be prevented unless you mean it's an ovarihysterectomy in which case the ovaries would be removed also together with the uterus! Oh gosh, aren't the ovaries the organs that produce female hormones? Without the required hormones aren't they prone to premature menopause like female human beings, who end up requiring hormonal replacement therapy to prevent other medical problems e.g. heart diseases and osteoporosis?

This requires more in-depth reading. Can you suggest some good animal medicine sites on the Internet? Thanks.

Regards,

yckuan

JolinG
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2004, 4:58 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1005 views)
Shortcut

ahha ur right

wat i meant was the reproductive system cancer n stuff.......and i DOnt reeally know wat they take out during spaying.......seriously ask the vet

erm website arh?.not too sure..try googling for it........

or just go ask around the vets in ur area for consultation lar or anybody who has done spaying b4 to their pets...wat organs do they take out

wings8413
Novice

Aug 31, 2004, 11:21 PM

Post #6 of 7 (933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] My dog is menstruating [In reply to] Can't Post

when they spay ur dog.....they take out the entire uterus, i asked the vet when i got my puppy spayed.....at first i didnt want to but now im glad i did. Smile

JolinG
Doggyman

Sep 1, 2004, 10:20 AM

Post #7 of 7 (918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wings8413] My dog is menstruating [In reply to] Can't Post

oh i see..thanks for the info Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my