Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
My Boxer's anal swelling

biggie
New User

Feb 3, 2003, 3:01 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1239 views)
Shortcut
My Boxer's anal swelling Can't Post

Hello all- this is my first post. This seems like a great forum to exchange some knowledge about dogs, so I thought I'd ask a question here before I went to the vet (going this week anyway).

I have a 5 year old Male Boxer named biggie. This morning, I noticed a large red swelling, with the epicenter or largest swelling approximately .5" away from the anus skin and into the regular hair covered skin. He defacated on our walk, seemingly painless and normal. As the day has gone on, the area has expelled some blood-type liquid from the sore (*not* the anal canal) and it doesn't seem to be reducing in size.

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to what this might be, and what if anything I should do before taking him into the vet later this week.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

arthur
ALPHA

Feb 4, 2003, 6:38 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [biggie] My Boxer's anal swelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Biggie,

Funny thing, I was checking up on the American Miniature Schnauzer Club website today and under their grooming pages, there was this link to anal gland expression.. From what you have described, this looks like a third stage of anal gland disease. Good news is that all stages of anal gland disease are treatable by a vet. Ok, enough from me, here's the info you require..

www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=46&COLLECTION=EncycIllness&MORE=full

Hope this helps. I agree with your decision to take your Boxer to the vet for a professional diagonsis.

Rdgs Arthur

biggie
New User

Feb 4, 2003, 7:34 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] My Boxer's anal swelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the information- His swelling has turned into an abcess, so I'm going to the vet today I believe.

Thanks again for the help!

-ab

arthur
ALPHA

Feb 4, 2003, 6:18 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [biggie] My Boxer's anal swelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Biggie,

Glad you found the info useful.

Keep us informed on your Boxer's condition and progress. Who knows this same info would come in handy one day...

Rdgs Arthur

biggie
New User

Feb 5, 2003, 10:30 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] My Boxer's anal swelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Update: Took biggie to the vet- the abcess had already begun the process of draining the anal gland. Luckily, all that was needed was a regiment of anti-biotics to avoid infection and some simple anti-inflammatories for pain/swelling.

I guess these anal gland problems are fairly common, although a little nasty.

Thanks again!

-ab

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my