Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Legs Shaking

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 13, 2005, 4:59 AM

Post #1 of 15 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Legs Shaking Can't Post

I noticed something about Scruffy today. When he sits down, both his front paws will shake. I mean shaking as in when an old person walks and how their leg shakes or when we stand for too long and our legs will shake.

Other than that, he is normal. He has an appetite of a lion Wink and likes jumping around. He learnt "stay" and "Hi-Five" within an hour yesterday. He can even stay without leash and I can walk a full room away from him.

Is this normal or is something wrong? Should I take him to the vet?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 15, 2005, 6:35 PM

Post #2 of 15 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Legs Shaking [In reply to] Can't Post

did Scruffy face difficulties when trying to stand up? will he shake his hind legs too?

if yes, there is really a problem. like HD.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jul 15, 2005, 10:15 PM

Post #3 of 15 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Do take it to the vet, it can be number of things so do not wait.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 19, 2005, 4:02 AM

Post #4 of 15 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Legs Shaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all. I have taken him to the vet and the vet said that it was nothing. She said that this is normal.

I hope the vet is right.

Scruffy does not have any problems walking, standing up or sitting down. He can even jump hoop without any problems. He eats and plays like a monster Tongue

So for the time being I shall monitor his legs and if it gets worst then I shall seek a second opinion.

If anyone has another opinion then please let me know.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jul 19, 2005, 7:13 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1201 views)
Shortcut

Great news, I wish to know what type of breed is Scruffy. I found out if it is Shih Tzu or maltese it is fairly common. I am sure it is HD as HD you can only tell when the dog is walking.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 19, 2005, 5:55 PM

Post #6 of 15 (1198 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Scruffy is a mixed breed. His dad is a cocker Spaniel and his mum is a miniature Schnauzer.

Can you elaborate more on HD? Actually what does HD stands for? If you can give me more information, I can do the rest of the research on the internet.

Only his front legs shakes. And that is also only sometimes when he is sitting down on his bum only.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 19, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #7 of 15 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Hi, you could find some info at our site as well – just go to health problems – CHD, which stands for canine hip dysplasia. In simple terms: something is not right with his hip joint. Hip problems are common with giant breed dogs but could occur in anybody, even humans. Logically, if the joint problem were at the elbow joint then it would be elbow dysplasia, etc.

It is a myth that you could detect CHD just by watching your dog walking. The only way to detect CHD is via x-ray.

Anyway, I doubt that elbow dysplasia (front legs shaking) is the cause, but you could go for x-ray to be sure.Before you spend the money for it, I would suggest to monitor and to establish when it occurs, differences in severity, how long and/or time of the day and/or before or after meal, etc

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jul 20, 2005, 4:20 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1175 views)
Shortcut

Joe has already elaborate on CHD in the next posting. The only thing is you can detect by watching a dog walk but you have to be very familiar with your dog's walk. Labs and GR are fairly distintive when it walks. Just a note, a lot of people may disagree but if you do not over feed your pup and not let it jump up on it's hind legs till it is at least a year old you can savely avoid CHD. My opinion is base on logic and that is all the growing period is the time you let the dog's bone develope and not stress these joints. Put it this way I have no problem with my dogs and they are considered big breed dogs. Just room for thoughts.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2005, 7:00 PM

Post #9 of 15 (1162 views)
Shortcut

cut him off the disco music....stop giving Bee Gees...change to something lighter .....Eg : Kenny G
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 20, 2005, 7:03 PM

Post #10 of 15 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the advice guys. Having observe him more closely, I think it is more of a nerve problem rather than anything else. My friend says to wait till he is 1 year old to see if he outgrows it.

I cant stop him from jumping here and there. He is like a shooting bullet especially when he is excited. He is free to roam the house and I dont tie him or cage him up. He is really an angel around the house and poo only at the designated place and does not chew up any furniture at all. So I reward him by letting him roam free. He loves to jump and sometimes purposely use routes where he gets to jump off the couch. Even when I call him, he would rather bounce to me rather than just walk. Having said that, I dont think his front paws are causing him any pain. So I sum it up to be nerve problem.

Do you think I should follow my friend's advice and wait till he is one to see if he will outgrow the shaking?

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 20, 2005, 7:06 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] Legs Shaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha ha! He listens to tantric music and tries to do the yoga moves with me.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 20, 2005, 7:28 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1150 views)
Shortcut

Unfortunately, it is not that simple. One reason why good breeders have to get the x-ray before the dog is accepted for breeding is that CHD could be inherited, a genetic problem.

Said that, we can do a lot with good food, limiting exercise, and restricting jumping for the puppy - at least "damage control".

By the way, when you provide good food (e.g. BARF diet), the dog can’t get fat, at least I never experienced that. I fed my GD more then 1.5 Kg per day and he was a lean PPD.

CHD of grade B might or might not change the gait of a dog. The very severe cases of grade D or worst are visible, even to the untrained eye. I go conform to the FCI and accept x-ray as the only serious option, at least for breeding purpose. All others just have to see that the dog is happy and does not show any discomfort. Here, I do agree that it does not require x-ray. End of the day, it does not matter what grade of CHD (if he has any) your pooch has. We love them, care for them, and will provide adequately for their wellbeing.

(This post was edited by JoeSmith on Jul 20, 2005, 7:32 PM)

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 21, 2005, 5:00 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Legs Shaking [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with you about loving the mutt no matter what they have. For me as long as the dog is happy then I am happy.

I am just curious what causes the shaking legs, that's all.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 22, 2005, 7:15 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1109 views)
Shortcut

YES, my friend – you are a member of the same club – “the animal lovers” I would be very thankful when you would post the info, once you know what did cause the shaking legs. We all are very curious too.

janthk
Canine Addict

Jul 23, 2005, 4:23 AM

Post #15 of 15 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Legs Shaking [In reply to] Can't Post

I will post the cause if I can ever find out.

Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my