First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 21, 2003, 5:35 AM

Post #1 of 165 (5962 views)
Shortcut
WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW Can't Post

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW

Pet shops buy their puppies from brokers. These brokers get their animals from puppy mills -- commercial breeding establishments that mass-produce dogs for resale. Most puppy mills and brokers are in the Midwestern United States.

• Puppy mills and pet shops do not properly socialize their puppies. They raise their puppies in cramped, often dirty cages -- not home-enriched environments.

• Pet shop puppies lack fresh air, exercise, play, and lots of positive human contact -- all of the ingredients necessary for a puppy to become a well-adjusted adult dog.
Unsound breeding practices predispose puppy mill dogs to hereditary afflictions like hip dysplasia, luxating patellas (dislocating kneecaps), eye maladies, and aggressive behavior. Life-threatening genetic conditions such as liver and heart diseases, autoimmune disorders, and seizures can also result from careless breeding. Many genetic defects may not show up for months or even years.

• Pet shops do not usually provide information on genetic disorders prevalent in certain breeds -- such as hip dysplasia in German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers.

• Pet shops do not provide copies of these important certificates: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) on the hips of both parents; the Canine Eye Registration Foundation (CERF) on the eyes of both parents.
Pet shop puppies come into contact with numerous animals at puppy mills and brokers' holding facilities, during transportation by truck, van, or airplane, and ultimately at pet shops. Therefore, these puppies are commonly exposed to a variety of illnesses. Moreover, transportation stress makes them even more susceptible to disease.

• Pet shop puppies commonly have worms, upper respiratory infections, ear and eye infections, mange, coccidia or giardia. Some of these maladies can be transmitted to humans.

• Pet shop puppies are prone to parvovirus and distemper. These diseases are highly contagious and usually fatal. Parvovirus symptoms are not immediately detectable, so a puppy with parvo may share a cage with a healthy puppy.

• Pet shops normally place very sick or deformed puppies in an isolation area -- in most cases, a depressing back room. Due to improper circulation, the germs of puppies in the back room are spread throughout the store.

• While some puppies seem healthy at the pet shop, disease symptoms sometimes do not appear for several weeks -- a puppy can already be in a new home.

• Puppies frequently die or require euthanasia at puppy mills, brokers' facilities, and pet shops.
The American Kennel Club registration papers that ordinarily come with purebred pet shop puppies often impress buyers and provide a false sense of security. AKC registration, however, does not guarantee proper breeding conditions, health, quality or claims to lineage. In fact, California requires pet shops to notify consumers orally and in writing of these limitations.

• The AKC derives a significant portion of its revenues from the registration of puppy mill litters. The organization registers thousands of puppy mill puppies each year without questioning why so many puppies are born to Midwest breeders.
Pet shops do not screen their buyers. Their business depends on impulse buyers -- many pet shops are in malls -- who know very little about dogs. Impulse buyers may not have the proper environment for raising a puppy. Pet shops rarely ask any of the following necessary questions:

• Will someone be at home during the day?
  • Do you live in a house or an apartment?
  • Will a dog be allowed indoors, especially at night?
  • Do you have a fenced yard?
  • Do you have the time required to exercise a dog?
  • Do you have children or other animals?
  • Do you understand that a dog will be a member of your family for ten years or more?
  • Have you had dogs before, and if so, what were your experiences with these dogs?
  • Do you have a veterinarian, or do you need a referral?
  • Are you prepared to pay for professional grooming if you adopt a dog that needs these services?
Pet shops charge exorbitant prices for puppies -- financing is usually available -- and earn huge profits because of substantial markups. For example, an eight-week-old Labrador Retriever from a pet shop may cost around $600. If you see a pet shop dog selling for $300 or less, chances are it is more than three months old and has been sitting in a cage for a least a month.

• Pet shops treat puppies as merchandise that can easily be returned for an exchange or credit toward another dog. Most customers, though, become attached to their puppies and will not return them.

• New owners can incur large veterinary bills. Most pet shop warranties, however, preclude reimbursement for veterinary expenses.
Pet shops are anxious to sell animals because they want to sell pertinent supplies. As a rule, they do not provide the following essential information:

• The significance of spaying or neutering animals
  • The benefits of obedience training
  • The correct ways to deal with puppy teething
Every year, animal shelters destroy millions of dogs -- including purebreds and puppies -- and cats. PLEASE adopt a companion animal from your local shelter, humane society, rescue organization (some specialize in a particular breed) or veterinarian. In addition, many pet super store chains sponsor adoption days.

The Companion Animal Protection Society (CAPS) is the only national organization dedicated exclusively to protecting companion animals. CAPS' foremost concern is the abuse and suffering of pet shop and puppy mill dogs.

CAPS
PMB 143, 2100 West Drake Road, Fort Collins CO 80526
Phone: (970) 223 8300
FAX: (970) 223 8330
Email:
caps2@mindspring.com

Copyright (C) 2000 by Companion Animal Protection Society. All rights reserved.

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jan 2, 2004, 3:32 PM)

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 21, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #2 of 165 (5953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow Kesuke-san,

This is great reading for everyone.......no not great.....buttt excellent reading. I bet more will now understand some interwining issues which had been discussed on breedings and what constitutes millers against breeders.

Good one....u get my thumbs up on thatTongue

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Kowpa

Nov 21, 2003, 9:21 PM

Post #3 of 165 (5949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Good post for genuine dog ppl (ppl who want good healthy dog from selective breeding )

If ppl stop buying from the pet shop where would my reject puppies go to I normally sell the selected to genuine ppl only the most 3 pups and the rest goes to the pet shop without pedigree. so petshop is still value to me, some petshop is not that bad as stated so don't condemn the petshop condemn the puppy millers.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 22, 2003, 2:04 AM

Post #4 of 165 (5941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

But if you are not breeding indiscriminately ... why do you need to sell your pups to or through pet shops?

Cheers Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 22, 2003, 2:24 AM

Post #5 of 165 (5938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

If ppl stop buying from the pet shop where would my reject puppies go to I normally sell the selected to genuine ppl only the most 3 pups and the rest goes to the pet shop without pedigree. so petshop is still value to me, some petshop is not that bad as stated so don't condemn the petshop condemn the puppy millers.

Kowpa,

Normally I would start slinging my guns but I noticed you wrote the pet quality ones goes to the petshops "without the pedigree" now tht really makes the difference. I could agree on the fact tht not everyone may want a show quality or sports quality dogs, some may just want a plain pet. So Pet shops (very appropriately called) may still be in service for the community. Selling "Without Pedigree Cert" should make sure that it remains a pet and not become broodstock for Puppy Millers to use cert a deceiver.

Only thing for the buyers is how do they know if the supply is from a breeder who breeds the best and got some pet quality or a puppy miller? That is the hard part. Anyway, the choice is on the potential pet owner to decide.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

(This post was edited by PSD on Nov 22, 2003, 2:30 AM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 22, 2003, 8:41 AM

Post #6 of 165 (5924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you PSD-san Tongue!!

i just came across this article on the net and thought that it's very useful for us to understand, and not just know, why we shouldn't buy from petshops....

although not all petshops are that bad, still we, as potential pet owners, won't know where the puppies come from and if they are pet quality or puppy mill quality pups....

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 22, 2003, 8:44 AM

Post #7 of 165 (5924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Selling a puppy to or through a pet shop wiithout a pedigree does not (a) help the puppy to get a good home, and (b) it does not mean that the puppy will not end up as breed stock. And there are more than enough ways to overcome the apparent lack of a certificate ...

But perhaps more important - Does not the concept of "responsible" breeding extend beyond just issues of bloodlines & genetics ... and includes being "responsible" to and for the puppies that have been bred?

One of the common factors exhibited by both puppy millers and backyard breeders is that they don't care where or how their puppies end up ...

Having bred a litter ... is there any justifiable reason why only the show quality pups get best chance at a good home or a good life?

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 6, 2004, 9:29 AM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 22, 2003, 8:46 AM

Post #8 of 165 (5922 views)
Shortcut

thank you kowpa...just doing my best to 'educate' ppl about this situation....Smile

are you a breeder? what breed do you breed?

i'm not really condeming all petshops but it's hard for potential puppy owners to know which petshops are genuine and which are not.....and petshops MOSTLY take their pups from puppy mills....

PSD
ALPHA

Nov 24, 2003, 5:02 AM

Post #9 of 165 (5896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Surchinmy,

SmileSmile True...true......Smile .......Agreed with you in totality. However nothing is always absolute either, even direct sales to petowner cannot stop puppy milling or guaranteeing the best families for the puppies too. The best any breeder can do is to do their utmost best to screen them. End of the day, the buyers are the ones whom must educate themselves to impose their own censorship too.

Anyway my comments was meant to be thought provoking and not an agreement of the way that is done. Hope I made it clear here in the case of any confusion.Smile

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Nov 24, 2003, 5:13 AM)

paulynn
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2003, 8:26 AM

Post #10 of 165 (5854 views)
Shortcut

good article ,well said,'nuff said!

AT LEAST NOW people will know that u can also get a purebreed from animal shelters.And hopefully they'll change their minds on "mongrels"in shelters n cutting the crap between pure and mixed breeds bullshit.

pomlove
Dog Kichi

Nov 29, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #11 of 165 (5850 views)
Shortcut

DON'T PRODUCE MORE PUPPIES THAN YOU CAN PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do me and society a favor and take a visit to the SPCA in Ampang. They put to death 1000 or more dogs every month because of lack of space. This tells me there are enough dogs in this town.

Every one of those dogs started life as a cute little puppy.

This is not responsible breeding even if they are purebred. We each and every one of us has a responsibility to this planet to take care of the animals that we have domesticated and produced.

Your rejects as you call them are living breathing animals with feelings and needs.

I beg you to re think your breeding pracitices so as not to produce so many puppies that you need to send any to pet shops.

Thank you.

kesuke
Doggyman

Dec 2, 2003, 1:58 AM

Post #12 of 165 (5837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

well yeah, we can also get purebreeds from shelthers but then not in m'sia. mostly only foreign countries have breed specific shelthers...we can't find that in m'sia. anyway, the main issue is that all dogs are the same, be it mongrels or purebreeds. if you want a purebreed, get from a responsible breeder. if you just want a companion, then a visit to the local SPCA/shelter will find you many loving dogs waiting to be adopted into a loving home.

the purebreds and mongrels crap will never end, until ppl realise that the purebreds we get today is a 'mixture' of different breeds in the early days. so in that sense, purebreds are no 'purer' than mongrels anyway!

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 2, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #13 of 165 (5834 views)
Shortcut

I totally agree with you on that.Yes most foreign countries has more PRs in their shelters but ours aren't that bad too.U should totally visit SPCA ampang.ST was sent to spca because they couldn't groom her properly,2 LRs there waiting to come out and play,2 poor looking boxers in search for a new loving home-once again. Yes, they are all equal no such crap as higher standard in doggy society or whatever doggy community.If there's such thing,what about mankind? whites get higher society standing just because they're Pure breeds or that they have blonde hairs n blue colored eyes? No such thing.Everyone including animals and all other lving things are the same.

You know what gets on my nerve? When a so-called dog 'lover" calls himself a dog lover.What i maent by so called is that he thinks he deserves to be called or given a title dog lvoer jsut because he loves dogs but he doens't know that looking down at mongrels or XB doesn't make him one.XBs and PRs are the same people!!! Make up your mind before screaming to the world telling them that u're a dog lover!PURE dog lvoers don't discriminate other breeds but have a respect for all sorts of dogs. Hah, i bet lots of people didn't know that purebreeds came from 2 diff breeds,in that case does that make mongrel that purest of all ? LOL :)

kesuke
Doggyman

Dec 4, 2003, 8:27 AM

Post #14 of 165 (5817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

really? SPCA ampang that good? maybe you could take me there for a look when i'm down in klang.

well yeah...every living thing is created equal...but it's a crazy world we're living here...some race are assumably 'superior' than the others...who to blame but ourselves?

lots of ppl sure don't know that the purebreeds we get today are, in every sense, a mix breed as well. if the 'creators' of these 'purebreeds' didn't mix this with that, we sure won't have so many variety of dog breeds today, meant for different purposes.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 4, 2003, 10:27 PM

Post #15 of 165 (5813 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm... Yea... SPCA ampang is very well kept... Kudos to the people there!! Tongue

I totally agree with you on the concept of purebreeds and mixed breeds.. Tongue All purebreds are mixed dogs, all bred for a specific purpose. Tongue In my vocab, there is no such thing as mongrel or pariah.. They're lovable dogs..!!!!!!!! TongueTongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 4, 2003, 11:55 PM

Post #16 of 165 (5810 views)
Shortcut

You know what gets on my nerve? When a so-called dog 'lover" calls himself a dog lover.What i maent by so called is that he thinks he deserves to be called or given a title dog lvoer jsut because he loves dogs but he doens't know that looking down at mongrels or XB doesn't make him one.XBs and PRs are the same people!!! Make up your mind before screaming to the world telling them that u're a dog lover!PURE dog lvoers don't discriminate other breeds but have a respect for all sorts of dogs. Hah, i bet lots of people didn't know that purebreeds came from 2 diff breeds,in that case does that make mongrel that purest of all ? LOL :)

Paulynn,

Just out of curiosity, which "dog lover" did you mean specifically as in person? or is that written as a generalised picture?

Smile

PSD

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 5, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #17 of 165 (5807 views)
Shortcut

hi sayang,

ampang's in KL..me in KLAng :) But u can still visit SPCA :) Yup, human beings are the one to blame.Self-materialized, erm..self-destruction,self-discrimination i mean we semua all human beings right?why want to ...what else eh? :P
It's quite sad to see what sort of world we're living in today if u compare to the olden days..our mom's dad's and grand's days...peaceful..no such thing as snatch theif ( not as often as it is now) ....That's why sometimes i wished that i was born in the 20-30s ..syok betul...The era of Gone with the wind...and my fair lady..singing all the oldies..WAH!!!

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 5, 2003, 1:24 AM

Post #18 of 165 (5802 views)
Shortcut

hi psd once again,

Oh no..that's definitely not written as a generalised picture!It'd mean that i'm saying myself too if i were to mean that way!I was actually refering to some people i know specifically. I do sound like i'm an anti-PR person but seriously i'm not because i love them too...there are some people i know (from the forum as well as from outside of the forum - non puppy members) who acts and talks like a big lover with a big heart but ...well what the heck i'll just tell u what happened that made me really "pissedoff" at specifically that "someone". There was an thread on a dog for adoption.Not sure how mixed breed discussion came into the picture but someone was saying something liek this but in my own words since i can't really remember what that someone said"If i have to pay medical bills for a mixed breed ah,i'd rather pay for a PR". I mean, what the hell does that suppose to mean?Does that mean that MBs aren't worth your money for just a tiny check-up?Hw can someone who owns more than 4 dogs says this?There are soo many other good hearted PURE dog lovers who loves PR and owns and yet they don't discriminate MBs.Infact there's one member cna't remember her name though saved a dog from the sunway pyramid road AND send the dog for a medical check up.That's what i call a dog lvoer.Because i'm still a student and i can't afford to do this, the most i can do is stop the car whenever i see a poor fellow and try to feed it some food.I always carry along some dry food inside my car so that it'll be easier for me to feed them.It's the LEASt that i'd do besides volunteering.

Hope u get what i mean and if that someone read what i wrote well it's the fact u have to admit that u wrote that and it clearly says that u have something against the innocent MBs.I do not classify or categoried them as PRs or MBs but because of what i'm trying to explain, i categoried.If not i'd just say "DOGS" since they all are "DOGS".

Have a good day. My grammer and explanation might not be correct but i hope you get what i mean.

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 5, 2003, 1:40 AM

Post #19 of 165 (5801 views)
Shortcut

paulynn,

Dont worry I understand u well. You seams like someone whom really have her full hearts to love dogs. That is your good point and I admired that. The description of people you mentioned I share your opinions. Lucky tht I didn't see that statement. Some people here call me the harsh corporal...Tongue so that person may actually lose direction after being shot at...lol...just jokingTongue

Anyway, if I may impress on you that what I meant in my earlier writing is that if you have meant your statement to someone whom posted in this particular thread or as generalised statement for few people which fits your description. That is all already very well answered by you here. Now I fully understand you. Smile

Keep up the good work.

PSD

paulynn
ALPHA

Dec 9, 2003, 2:42 AM

Post #20 of 165 (5786 views)
Shortcut

hi,

Thank you so much.Now i'm even angry at so-called dog lovers/dog owners/dog handlers.I volunteered for the MIPE under the SPCA and there was this guy whom at first i was admiring at.He has a GREAT DANE and my, was it BIG! But he gave me a bad bad impression immediately after one of the officials came and talk to me.She is one of the officials who check on the dogs before they're let in.Not to interrogate but just to see whether they're the sociable one and the ones that won't bite because there'd be alot of children at the MIPE.So she saw this stupid dog-owner and his Berlin (named his GD berlin) at the hallway where the contestants enter to the Hall.berlin eliminated outside of the sandbox like an elephants' and peed like a fountain.He didn't bother to do the job (cleaning up obviously) and my friend told him to do so because it's part of being a responsible dog owner and we don't want people with shit on their sole.U know what that guy said? It's not my dog's poo and quickly ran into the hall.HOW IRRESPONSIBLE!! Not that i mind cleaning up because it's part of what i have do if i were to volunteer but how can they be SO BLOODY IGNORANT AND IRRESPONSIBLE??!! Grrrrrrrrrr

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 9, 2003, 6:23 PM

Post #21 of 165 (5782 views)
Shortcut

paulyn,

That guy sounded like a real jerk. U should have got a pic of him and post it here "wanted, Irresponsible poo dropper" ...lol Tongue

Anyway seriously, we have a long way to go in the department of civic mindedness and the so-called tidak apa attitude. This is exactly what makes us looks pathetic in the eyes of foreigners. Nevertheless, despite those, there are also plenty whom are gaining momentum in positive practise. Hopefully more people especially pet lovers will pick up from here.Smile

PSD

kesuke
Doggyman

Dec 9, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #22 of 165 (5775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

wow...SPCA ampang so good huh? gotta go there when i'm down in kl....=) so you a volunteer as well?

yep..genuine dog lovers know that purebreeds and mix breeds are no difference...they are all dogs in our eyes and we love them all the same..glad to know another genuine dog lover!! =)

kesuke
Doggyman

Dec 9, 2003, 10:08 PM

Post #23 of 165 (5775 views)
Shortcut

ohh...is it? when it comes to the places in the central region i go blur one lah... Crazy take me there when i'm down in kl ok? =)

hahah...yeah....the good old days huh? peaceful and simple...no rapes, no robberies, no thieves...but then also no com, no internet, no cable tv.....hahahahaahha....

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #24 of 165 (5771 views)
Shortcut

Yea...

Ahem... No time to volunteer-lo.. FrownFrownFrown I really admire some of the members who have time to volunteer. Angelic

Anyway, I would like to help out SPCA by donation regularly... Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

kesuke
Doggyman

Dec 10, 2003, 10:01 PM

Post #25 of 165 (5763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY THAT PUPPY IN THE WINDOW [In reply to] Can't Post

well.. some help is better than none...donation is good when you don't have the time to hellp out personally...Smile thumbs up to y!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my