Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
The Right Potty

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Oct 19, 2002, 3:38 PM

Post #1 of 18 (4777 views)
Shortcut
The Right Potty Can't Post

I want to ask those whoíve female pup/dog or anyone who knows how they pee. Munji is peeing on newspaper, & since the floor is flat, her urine spreads & touches her back feet. Not only she left the watery footprint when she walks, but sheís licking to dry her feet. Currently, I noticed that her feet is reddened (also in between toes) because she constantly scratches (with her mouth) her feet. Iím trying to figure out how not to get the urine spread to her leg. Anyone of you has this problem & got a solution? I thought of a few ideas:-

(1) Replace the newspaper with sand. The sand has to be put in a tray because itís indoor but this will make the place sandy. So, I canít use this method.

(2) Replace the newspaper with grasses. Iíve to grow the grasses in a tray & eventually the grasses will die & Iíve to replace a new one Ė very troublesome even if I use dry grasses Ė where to get?

(3) Replace the newspaper with a diapers-like stuff so that it can soak in the urine & leave the area dry. But then, how to make one?

(4) Put the newspaper in a tray & make the tray slant a bit so that the urine will move forward instead of spreading. This is the best choice I can think of.

(5) Put a long & narrow tin on top of the newspaper so that she can squat & pee into the tin. Will this really work? The tin has to be low enough so that she can squat & deep enough so that it can fill her urine. Iíve no problem to make one because the kitchenís floor is a step lower than the living roomís. Other than the tinís area, I just need to put bricks to make the floor parallel to the living roomís. But, can a pup/dog be trained to pee that way? Specifically peeing into a potty? If can, I want to use this method. But does a pup/dog has the brain to do that?

Any other method you can suggest?

melanie
Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2002, 5:13 PM

Post #2 of 18 (4774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cecilia74] The Right Potty [In reply to] Can't Post

Cecilia,

I do not know whether is a good method or not, but
I trained my kiddi to pee in the crate, where the urine will flow down the net to newspaper.

Actually not me purposely trained her, is she herself do not like to be in the crate and start pee and potty insideCrazy

So I change the crate into her toilet and let her tie outside, long enough so she can easily go in and out to her toilet.

I find this quite easy to clean, as I need to wash the tray underneath, change the newspaper and clean the crate every week with clorox/detergent!

Would like to know any other good place for our doggie to do their businessSmile

Regards

lisachew

Oct 21, 2002, 5:46 PM

Post #3 of 18 (4758 views)
Shortcut

I think its pretty difficult to change Munji's habit on peeing on the newspaper as she has got used to it by now. Just wondering whether is she used to the fact that the newspaper is her toilet bowl or that she follows your command to potty at that particular place? Cool

If she follows your command than it will be easier to re-teach her. Sometimes, dogs which has already got used to the place(newspaper) where they potty is bit more difficult to changed. That's why I dun really want to train my Teddy to potty on the newspaper.

Melanie's idea is good also as it will be easier to clean up later. As for me, I tried to train him to do his business in the crate but he overgrown the idea as he doesnt want to litter the place he uses to sleep at night. So, I have to changed the place for potty. Crazy

Although sometimes, Teddy will get some of his pee just like your case, but what I do ..if I do happens to monitor him that time..then I will quickly wipe it with a wet cloth. Mostly I will constantly asked him to potty as not to get the big urine patches which causes this case to happens. Crazy

Good Luck!
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

May
Old Hand

Oct 21, 2002, 7:12 PM

Post #4 of 18 (4755 views)
Shortcut

My dog also pee in the crate. I don't know since when she had started to make her 'room' as her toilet. She hated her crate so much and when I try to crate train her, she will bark and scratch until I let her out.

She's quite smart too. In order not to wet her feet, she will lift up one leg a little bit when she pee (like a male dog). I noticed she's doing this after I spayed her. Then she'll avoid the wet area when she wanna come out from the crate.

Maybe you could try to replace the newspaper with towel.

boon
Doggyman

Oct 21, 2002, 10:13 PM

Post #5 of 18 (4752 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cecilia,

Booney never ever pee/poo in her crate, since the first day i brought her back, Tongue, no matter what, she will wait for me/my brother or my mum to take her out for her to pee/poo. She never fail to maintain this.

Sometime when she pee, her back legs are wet too, so after a walk, i will quickly wipe her with a wet towel. But this seldom happen.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

valery

Oct 21, 2002, 11:22 PM

Post #6 of 18 (4743 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cecilia,

I let Bubbles pee in the crate. B4 that I make sure that I line the tray with newspaper so that when I remove the tray, the pee does not spill or flow all over the place. That way he is always dry and even when he poops, the poop will fall through and land on the paper in the tray. It's convenient and not at all messy. Hope this helps.

Valery

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2002, 11:49 PM

Post #7 of 18 (4742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melanie] The Right Potty [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Such a wonderful idea Ė a crate Ė never came to my mind before as I always see it as a lockup! A crate Ė thatís it! Anyway, how about poo? In the crate also? That poo wouldnít drop down completely, right? So, it means Munji has to pee in the crate & poo on the newspaper? Where Kiddi poo? Inside also? That poo drop down completely?

Hi Lisa, I trained Munji to pee on the newspaper Ė now, sheíll go
to the newspaper herself when she wants to pee. Yesterday, when we were on the way back from PD, it looks to me that she wants to pee but canít do so because she was in the car. So, I stopped at the road side & let her pee but she didnít want, & I continued home. When returned, she quickly ran to the newspaper to pee. GeeÖ I think it might take some time to re-train but itís better for her. Maybe Iíll get someone to cut out that crate for me so that I can use the bottom one for potty if Munji doesnít want to go in Ė easier for me.

Like your dog, May, I lifted up one of her back leg (to train her) but the urine spread on the newspaper & touched her foot, so I put a towel underneath everytime I see her peeing. I saw this training is useless for her because the urine will still spread on the newspaper if Iím not around to put the towel. And I can see here now that a crate is a real important stuff.

OooÖ. I canít be like you, boon, to bring Munji out all the time Ė she pee a lot! What if Iím not at home? I also wipe her feet now everytime she pee but sheís still itchy & bite her feet.

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2002, 11:58 PM

Post #8 of 18 (4741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [valery] The Right Potty [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... I've to go & check how a crate look like before asking further question - I don't know how the poo can drop down to the newspaper. No obstruction?

lisachew

Oct 22, 2002, 12:44 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4736 views)
Shortcut

Hie

Oh so means that she can never go potty without newspaper.

I was wondering whether are you able to put a towel under the paper and try poking many holes on that paper. SO in this case, when she pee the urine will flow in that holes and soak the towel instead.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

melanie
Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2002, 1:38 AM

Post #10 of 18 (4724 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cecilia,

So for the pee shouln'd be a problem rite coz the urine will flow down to the tray underneath.

As for her poo, yes it didn't drop down coz of the netting. When the poo is normal then will be quite easily to remove it with newspaper. The problem is when its soft, then you need to do extra cleaning.

Normally kiddi will bark after she potty ! Then I have to clean it away b4 she play with itMad Yes she is a dirty girl!

If not, I'll take her for evening walk and she will do her business outside...easy for meLaugh

Lets see whether this method works for you or not. Evry dog is individual huh...

Regards

boon
Doggyman

Oct 22, 2002, 4:16 AM

Post #11 of 18 (4721 views)
Shortcut

Aiyah Cecilia,

For pee pee, me or family will take her out 4 to 5 time a day, mainly 6:45AM (Morning walk pee/poo), 11:00AM, 3:00PM, 6:30 to 7:30 PM (Evening walk pee/poo) and last call before sleep.

To me it is not too much, may be my brother and mum help me out during day time....Tongue

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Oct 22, 2002, 5:11 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] The Right Potty [In reply to] Can't Post

She does pee on sand/grasses when we were in park & on the beach. That day we were driving around to find a remote field but couldnít find, so we let her pee on the road but she was looking around, I guess for sand. And thatís why she didnít want to pee, I guess.

Thanks Melanie, I already made my decision. Sheís going to pee-pee in her new potty Ė a crate, & the existing potty is for her to poo-poo (newspaper). Now, she has to unlearn to pee on the newspaper & to pee in the crate Ė geeÖ. not sure if itís going to be difficult. Anyway, to poo on the newspaper isnít a problem because sheís STILL learning to poo on it! Good thing is that she never will mess up her poo even if they were on the floor for hours if Iím not at home Ė she learned this first before learning where to poo.

Will decide whether to buy a crate & get someone to cut out for me (depend on its bottomís design), or to get someone to specially make one (the net & the tray only) Ė will roam to find the shop that will do this kind of stuff. In the meantime of switching (just in case if she still pee on newspaper when itís for poo only), Iíll get a tray & put the newspaper on top & let it slant a bit so that the urine will flow forward & not spread. Lisa got a good idea, poking the newspaper & a towel underneath give me an extra assurance.

Wow, youíre lucky boon that youíve so many people help to take care of your dog. The 1st time I brought Munji out to the field, she poo on the ground (I missed it) & Iíve to pick it up & have to look around the whole field for the bin! After that, I make sure Munji poo in the house before going out. This, I donít need to bring newspaper & tissue. Maybe for long journey, then no choice-loh. Just got to make sure to bring plastic bag along so that I donít need to find the bin immediately.

valery

Oct 22, 2002, 5:21 PM

Post #13 of 18 (4715 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cecilia,

Well, I used to train Bubbles to use the crate in the beginning by making sure that I put him in right after his meals. After he has poo and peed, he will bark and I will clean up immmediately. During this training, I lines the cage with mesh just in cash his paws got stuck because the original mesh of the crate was a bit too big (yeah..I got a bigger cage so he also seemed lost in it). The best is to line the tray with newspaper, anything more than 1 sheet would be best so that it has optimum absorption. Towels provide this too but then you will have to wash the towels all the time and this can be quite time consuming. Bubbles is an Australian Silky so there's no problem with the poo dropping down into the tray. But if he has soft poo, then there will be extra cleaning and you can either use a brush or hand towels to clean before washing with water. Rocky (pug) is a little stubborn and will insist on pooing and peeing wherever he likes (outside the hosue of course) but not in the same location. IF I do not watch them for a moment, they will start to mark territories again and that really drived me crazy! Ooops....out of topic again. One thing though....do not stinge on the crate....buy a larger one so that in case you are going out or something....your doggie has enough space to poo and pee in one section (but of course you have to teach not to eat poo first lah). Let us know how it goes. I know that it can get messy when they have wet and smelly paws, and they climb all over you right after that !

Have fun,

Valery

Cecilia74
Dog Kichi

Oct 22, 2002, 6:26 PM

Post #14 of 18 (4713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [valery] The Right Potty [In reply to] Can't Post

Velery, I still don't understand. Yes, Bubbles pee in the crate. You put extra mesh, & so the urine flows down to the tray where there's newspaper, right? You said that Bubbles' poo will drop down to the tray. How? Isn't the mesh is obstructing the poo to fall down into the tray?

I don't put Munji in crate or anything when I go out because my place is actually a comfortable BIG crate, she can roam in the living room & go into my room. For sure, she'll only pee on her potty (newspaper in the living room) & will poo on the living room's floor (every corners). Even if she climbs up to sleep with me on my bed at night, she'll climb down & go to the living room to pee/poo. And definitely, she already learned never to eat her poo even she's hungry (when I'm late) - her stool was left there hardened. If her pee can never spread to her legs, her paws will be as clean as they've just been washed. If I know it from the beginning, I wouldn't have wasted my effort to train her to pee on the newspaper. Now, have to re-train her to pee in crate as not to wet her paws.

lisachew

Oct 22, 2002, 6:38 PM

Post #15 of 18 (4712 views)
Shortcut

Hello

Glad to hear that you have decided the place for potty. But to have 2 potty places, wouldnt it be a bit confusing to Munji? Cause she is so used to the paper, I dun think so she will get the idea of peeing in crate and pooing on paper. Crazy

Well, we shouldnt underestimate her huh? Maybe she really is a smart lass?? Wink

GOOD LUCK!! Laugh
Regards
Lisa

melanie
Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2002, 9:44 PM

Post #16 of 18 (4707 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Glad to know that u have made up ur mind where Munji is going to pee and pooTongue

It will be a very difficult task to train her to pee in the crate and poo on the newspaper...must have alot alot of patient!!!!

Keep us updated if u manage to do so...then I need ur adviceSmile

Regards

valery

Oct 23, 2002, 5:14 PM

Post #17 of 18 (4691 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cecelia,

I understand your distress about having to re-train Munji again. That's what I went through too and my "sort-of" training methods were all through trial and error. First of all the crate has rather large meshing so that is why a lot of us would line the bottom with plastic netting (1cm x 1cm) that you can easily buy from the hardware store. This is in case you are worried that your pet's paw might get trapped between the meshing. From what I can imagine, the standard meshing on the crate is about 0.5" x 2" (it's oblong). Maybe now you can try to imagine how the poo can drop through into the tray. When training Munji from paper to crate, it's quite simple really. You need to place the paper with her pee on the tray so that she can get the smell. Immediately after meals or whenever you feel is the right time, take her to the crate and close the door or observe until she has finished, then only let her out and give her a treat. I did this in about a week and until today, no problems; only still having problesm with "territorial marking" but I have consulted many people and there's nothing I can do about it. Hope thsi helps...GOOD LUCK

Valery

TohCS
Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2002, 12:16 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4680 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cecilia,

Glad to know that you manage to get some very good advice from some of the members.

Initially when Belle was only 2 months old (when I newly brought her back) I did use the crate as her toilet. I got two crates. One for her to sleep and another crate in the car porch which is her 'toilet' crate.
Later I train her to use our bathroom to wee and poo. The thing about weeing on the floor is that it does not 'puddle' up as on newspapers. In this way her wee wee did not flow to her back legs.
Besides when she walks out of the bathroom she will step on the door mat (the mat is there so she have to step on it on her way out) and this will clean up any wee on her feet (should it get onto her feet).
This makes cleaning up easy as I only need to pour water to clean her wee wee and use tissue to clear up her poop which I can just throw into the toilet bowl and flush it away.

Good Luck in your dogs 'new toilet'

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my