First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2003, 9:26 PM

Post #1 of 65 (7137 views)
Shortcut
Jack Russell Terrier - Behaviour Can't Post

Hi everybody!

I need advice from JRT owners. Recently, we adopted an abandoned JRT lookalike female. Physically, she resembles a JRT except the ears are slightly pointed (half floppy half pointed) and legs are longer, though she is bigger than a toy poodle but much smaller than a mongrel.

I would like to determine that she has JRT blood. Unlike my cocker spaniel, she is extremely skitterish ie full of nervous energy and when I pat her head, she gets so excited, moving her head up and down and ends up making my hand wet from her nose. She also has this lovely goggle like marking (brown) on her face, reverse Bambi spots on her body and when she is bathed, she has Chinese Crested Dog-like skin (pink and black) clearly visible.

She gets very very excited, prancing and dancing and doing yoga sun salutations with exteme helicopter tail wagging when she sees us.

Is that very typical behaviour of JRT?

dmax
Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2003, 1:44 AM

Post #2 of 65 (7131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] Jack Russell Terrier - Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi gaudygoddess,

Why not you post her picture here? Not sure how her ears look like since you mentioned (half floppy half pointed). Normally, JRT ears have "V" shaped drop ears. Some which have standing ears are not conforming to the standard breed. Their heights are ranging from 10" to 15" at the withers.

One think for sure about their colour....white should predominate (i.e., must be more than 51% white) with tan, black, or brown markings. The tan, black or blown marking is more predominate on the head and tail.

I think you can do a search in the internet to see whether yours are a JRT or not. I'm sure it is easy to identify once you have checked the internet.Smile Also, you can compare yours with my 2 JRTs in the avatar. Bye

Join the JRT Zone

(This post was edited by dmax on Oct 30, 2003, 1:46 AM)

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Oct 30, 2003, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 65 (7117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmax] Jack Russell Terrier - Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Dmax

Your doggies are so cute. She looks like that, although not as compact and muscly as your dogs and is predominantly white with brown goggles on her face. She has the piggy tail but brown spots on her back (very faded). Her body reminds me of a greyhound (must be because of her starvation while she was without a carer). In fact she is what I would describe as fine boned. Yeah, I think the best would be to post a picture of hers up. I will do it ASAP.

Thanks, hope I can identify her breed. Are your dogs as hyper as that? Compared to my other dogs, she really is hyper.

dmax
Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2003, 9:06 PM

Post #4 of 65 (7108 views)
Shortcut

Yes, both of them are hyperactive. They will chase anything that moves....even ants. Sometimes, I can see victims lying dead on the house compound Laugh....lizards, worms, dragonflies, etc. They are also plant killers...they munched their way into the roots and they dug out the roots too. They are also good jumper...the male can jump as high as my chest. They are very fun to play with and the male will run around the compund in circle when the female try to chase him. They can also be good guarddogs. They will bark vigorously when they see strangers stopping in front of the gate. Of course, they will also bark when they see other dogs and cats. When they were puppies, I can outrun them in an open field but now they can beat me anytime.

Join the JRT Zone

rebooto
ALPHA

Nov 4, 2003, 12:33 AM

Post #5 of 65 (7090 views)
Shortcut

hi gaudygoddess,

Well, my Tau Tau is also not 100% JRT but of course her features more towards JRT...My Tau Tau's ear is like pointed (no drop at all, just like german shephard) compared to urs.

Anyway, about their behaviour...their actually born to be fox hunting dogs. So their basic characteristic would be active, playful, intelligent and require some amount of exercise. To get more information, mayb you could search the web for more information about JRT and sometime they are called Parson Russell Terrier or Parson Jack Russell.

Yeah, about the excitement when she sees you..its that she wants to give love to ya....so just go and pat her for awhile..then she'l be ok...cheersWink

Cheers always!

...()"""()
("( 'o^ )")
-rEbOoTo-

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2003, 3:06 AM

Post #6 of 65 (7080 views)
Shortcut

Frequently asked QuestionsWhat famous Jack Russell Terriers would I recognize?
"Eddie" on the television show Frasier. He is a rough coat. "Milo" from the movie "The Mask" is a smooth coat. The puppy in the RCA commercial. "Barkley" from the movie "Clean Slate" with Dana Carvey. More recent has been a terrier in an MCI commercial. Also, the Nissan commercial has a JRT in it, and there is a pizza commercial where a JRT and a shaggy dog lick sauce off a giggling child's face. The PBS show "Wishbone" features the JRT Wishbone.
How much should I expect to pay for a Jack Russell Terrier?
Most breeders are charging anywhere from $350.00 to $600.00 for a puppy. Don't forget all the other costs involved with owning a dog -- vaccinations, neutering/spaying, food, toys, crate, home improvements (better fencing), books, obedience classes (a must!), etc. You might be able to adopt a Jack Russell from Russell Rescue for a lower up-front purchase price.
Are Jack Russell Terriers really as energetic as they seem?
Jack Russell Terriers are very energetic dogs, with a big need for regular exercise. They are working dogs, and need to have a job, whether it be keeping your yard free of rodents (digging is normal and common, since they are bred to dig after quarry), chasing a ball, or going for a run or long walk with it's owner. Sitting on the couch peacefully all day is not in a Jack Russell's agenda. They require more of a time commitment than some breeds.
Because they are small, they seem ideal for living in an apartment. Will a Jack Russell be happy in an apartment situation?
Given the exercise requirements of the Jack Russell, a home with a large, fenced yard is more appropriate. They do not take well to inactive, sedentary lifestyles. However, if you are at home during the day or are able to provide regular exercise, it may work. They need a 5-6 foot high fence, since they are known to jump, climb, and even dig under fences. Many of the Jack Russells in the Rescue are there because the owner underestimated the attention requirements of the terrier. Author's note: I work 8 hours a day, and my JRT is home alone for this time. She does fine in a small dog-proofed room, and doesn't seem unhappy about her situation.
Will a Jack Russell Terrier cohabititate with my cat/small pet/young child/horse?
Cats and other small pets (rodents) will usually not work with a Jack Russell because these dogs are first and foremost hunting dogs. They see the cat or hamster/rat/guinea pig as prey (quarry). This is not true for all Jack Russells, and if brought into the household as a pup, most could be trained to live with a cat. Many Jack Russell owners are horse people. Jack Russells are not herding dogs, so the horse isn't of interest to them. Children under the age of six can be a problem, unless the child is taught how to properly handle the terrier. Having the natural assertive terrier characteristics, however, the Jack Russell will not put up with even unintended abusive behavior from a child. This should be carefully considered, particularly with children under six.
Are Jack Russell Terriers dog aggressive?
They can be very aggressive with other dogs (not just other terriers), and in certain cases, more than two terriers shouldn't be kept together unattended. It is very important that prospective Jack Russell owners understand this sometimes harsh part of the terrier's nature.
Can I train the hunting instinct out of my Jack Russell?

To be blunt, perhaps you should consider a different breed if you don't wish to have a hunting dog. Jack Russell Terriers can be difficult to deal with because they are true hunting dogs. They should be kept on leash when in rural/country areas, because if they take off after a ground squirrel or other quarry, they will not hesitate to dig and go underground. Terriers have been known to stay underground with their quarry for days, with no food or water.

by stephanie davis

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2003, 3:47 AM

Post #7 of 65 (7079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Jack Russell Terrier - Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow.. informative.... Thanks for all the info!! Smile

I love "Eddie" from Frasier. Am going to train my Snoopy to stare at people... Hehehe.. Cool Wishbone was very cute too... Hehehe...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

gaudygoddess
Dog Kichi

Nov 8, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #8 of 65 (7071 views)
Shortcut
Re: Sad Story : ( [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for all the great replies. 2 days ago, my sister called me up to inform me that they found Goggles outside the house dead. We don't know if somebody had hit her or a car hit her. Her body did not have any injuries.

Ironically, she spent so many days walking up and down our road looking for food before we took her in.
She must have run out of the house without us knowing it when the gate opened.

Was a sad day for me and she was a lovely, loving dog. I am utterly convinced now that she was a JRT mixed as coincidentally passed by 2 guys with their JRT and had a look at their skin (pink and black) and face. Goggles had the same look as them, except for the ears and longer, sleeker legs.

Quite a sad time for us. A couple of months ago, had rescued a sweet little purple furred kitten and had his poor broken leg fixed only for it to die from cat flu, which I suspected he may have picked up at the vet while having his joint taken out.

Ah well, at least these poor abandoned animals had a comfy life until they had to go. Sometimes I think it must have been their fate to die young and meeting us prolonged their lives a bit longer.

Remeber this, always appreciate the pets you have, you never know when they will leave you.

P/S Goggles loved to be hugged, and she would lick me profusely in return

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2003, 8:46 PM

Post #9 of 65 (7066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] Sad Story : ( [In reply to] Can't Post

I so sorry to hear that Goggles has passed away. Actually what happened to her? You were mentioning abour her the other day and she is no longer with you now. It is so sudden. And so sad for her since she has just found a new owner and proper place to stay. Have you determined the cause of her death? If it is not due to external injury, it may be due to internal problems.

Join the JRT Zone

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 10, 2003, 7:41 PM

Post #10 of 65 (7057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gaudygoddess] Sad Story : ( [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my... So sorry to hear about your loss Unsure....

Am sure that Goggles really loved your family in the short time she was here... Don't be sad, she is with God now...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 6:06 AM

Post #11 of 65 (7047 views)
Shortcut

I never have 1 but did consider to have 1 before I got all my Cockers... Here's 1 of the photo I took of my neighbor's new JRT puppy back then... Fiona
Attachments: someonedog1.jpg (16.5 KB)

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #12 of 65 (7042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vicfion] Jack Russell Terrier - Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Your neighbour's JRT puppy has all white coat? It is possible since JRT breed can vary significantly. I have a JRT puppy with whole body brown in colour except his belly and legs. Quite unique but not conform to standard. I have his pic attached here.

Join the JRT Zone

Attachments: myJRT10.jpg (58.5 KB)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 6:04 PM

Post #13 of 65 (7037 views)
Shortcut

Ah... So cute!! Can see "Nobody's Child" there.... Laugh

I can see a bit Snoopy in the back as well.. hiding near the plants... Sly Hehe.. She is still doing that in my house! So difficult to catch her sometimes... Sly

Join the JRT Zone

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 14, 2003, 6:49 PM

Post #14 of 65 (7020 views)
Shortcut

I did pop the question too but she said some of them borned like this... Yours so cuate.. wish I can have 1 and enjoy the joy to own 1... I learn about this breed from.. yes you guess.. The Mask by Jim Carrey :) Fiona

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2003, 9:00 PM

Post #15 of 65 (7016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Jack Russell Terrier - Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody's Child is actually everyone's favourite lah. Everyone came sure said he is the cutest. But he is very grumpy and doesn't know how to behave. Asked him to sit, he totally ignored me...not like others which are better behave.

Join the JRT Zone

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #16 of 65 (7015 views)
Shortcut

The Mask.....Milo right? Looks great in movie...very well trained. Don't be deceived by that movie character lah. Actually, if not properly trained, they can really misbehave and can be very destructive too. Guess what...we renovated our front portion of the house because of our JRTs lah....totally destroyed our garden.

Join the JRT Zone

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 15, 2003, 8:28 AM

Post #17 of 65 (7007 views)
Shortcut

Yeah I know... hehehhe.. I was told that Jack Russell is the smartest but very naughter... hehehhe by the way, here are mine... and you can view all the other dogs I had before too from my website I put up www.geocities.com/amomentwithfion... Fiona
Attachments: currentfurkids.jpg (22.7 KB)

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2003, 11:09 AM

Post #18 of 65 (7000 views)
Shortcut

Fiona,

ECS puppies..so tiny. Previously, I also wanted a ECS but after hearing what the vet said about ECS not very friendly with children, I decided not to get one. Actually, how are they with children?

Why not I let you adopt one of my JRT puppies and you let me adopt yours? hehehe.

Join the JRT Zone

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 18, 2003, 6:41 PM

Post #19 of 65 (6984 views)
Shortcut

I guess they are ol with my kids... but once a while when my kids irratate them like sitting on them and pull their hair, they do growl at them... and only a few times, they yell with pain and as if want to bite them but hey so far so good... now the female would play with my kids... The male? Hmmm the father is ok with my kids but the son keep runing away from them...
That would be cool... just that I have no more ECS puppy to let you to adopt :( sad sad sad.. sob sob sob... unless hehehe you can get a female to mate with my male then you can have them Smile And if I ever have another 1, I will not have it tail cut... keep in touch... Fiona

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2003, 2:54 AM

Post #20 of 65 (6977 views)
Shortcut

Hi Fiona,

It's also good that you stop production. It is very sad to see some dogs are suffering when their owners cannot take good care of them. I have a neighbour who has a ECS is now keeping the dog behind the house most of the time. They always tied up the dog and the dog always bark for attention.

Also, I always see another ECS running around and crossing the road alone even in heavy rain near our area. My wifey saw and wanted to kidnap the dog. Cannot bear to see him hit by cars. Later, we found out that this ECS belongs to some bachelors renting a house nearby. They seem don't care about the dog.

I thought they will look nicer with their tails docked. All my JRT puppies were docked when they were 3 days old.

Join the JRT Zone

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 19, 2003, 8:35 AM

Post #21 of 65 (6972 views)
Shortcut

My gosh :( Here attached a photo of Cockers I saw in PAWS... hmm did I attached for you already? Anyway, I know a person who does that too... Poor cocker is locked up the back of the shop... I know another person who wants a dog but don't take care of him... even it is a mix breed et I feel for him... Also another one mix Terrier... I saw with no shade at behind the house... So dirty and poor thing.. If this is USA, they will be fine for being cruelty to animals... Watched Animal Planet? I know I have my Cockers' tail docked too but at times, I wish at least I left 1 without getting docked.. I saw Cockers wth tail before and quite nice... and actually I think quite cruel to have them docked lo... sorry if you don't like what I say.... Keep in touch.. Fiona
Attachments: cockersneedhelp.jpg (85.9 KB)

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 20, 2003, 8:41 AM

Post #22 of 65 (6956 views)
Shortcut

By the way, male or female is ok... I actually often go for male because of the period thing... In fact, most of the dogs I have before are male and this was my first Cocker female... Anyway, just to let you know that male or female is ok with me... Can't wait to see your puppy and again.. I guess I will miss the pup a lot since will be at my friend's place often... sob sob sob.. no choice "la"... the neighbor... and I don't want to loose this golden opportunity... keep in touch.. Fiona

dmax
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2003, 7:42 PM

Post #23 of 65 (6948 views)
Shortcut

Hi Fiona,

Sorry for letting you wait. I was so tired yesterday and couldn't log in at night. I have sent you a mail at your email..vicfion@yahoo.com. Not sure whether you received or not. Better let you know the situation first before we meet, OK?

Join the JRT Zone

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 21, 2003, 5:22 AM

Post #24 of 65 (6937 views)
Shortcut

Yeap I received and replied.. and even sms... Anyway, I totally understand... Wow, you are 1 kind of owner.. Like me la... want back the puppies if they decide not to want it... but they never even keep in touch with me... Sure we can meet.. I told my husband and show him the photos.. He went nuts over Patches... Gosh... Then later quietly told me wish I can have her but.... My hubby is a dog lover.. thank god I married this kind of guy or else quarrel everyday about the dogs... Keep in touch.. Fiona

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 23, 2003, 8:04 AM

Post #25 of 65 (6923 views)
Shortcut

Hi there... nice meeting you and your wife and your daughter too... I guess your wife can become my good friend since we are kinda same Smile You never know how hard I cried when I have to let go my puppies... Scared them away... Just to let you know how my friend's Poodles look like... Yeap we have the same name but she with 3 Poodles and I am with 3 Cockers... Guess what, my husband suddenly said this... "If no one want Pinto, I will take him for sure..." Don't know is he seriouis or what but hey, I do hope you will find a good home for him.. If not we can have another joint-ownership therefore you can let us babysit when your neighbor complains again and this you can still keep him and I guess your wife will be very happy heheheheheWink Hmmm... good idea... and as for me, I get to babysit 2 Jack Russell Smile.. Nah, just dreaming only... Hey really appreciate this... I really feel lucky to meet you and your family... Do keep in touch... Fiona
Attachments: friendpoodlescopy.jpg (42.8 KB)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my