Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Show and Championship:
Agility Trials

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 6, 2002, 7:30 AM

Post #1 of 25 (29537 views)
Shortcut
Agility Trials Can't Post

Hiya, don't you think we should have agility trials here in Malaysia? It looks tremendous fun and i'm sure if we had agility here, there would be dogs and owners who would support such shows and train for them...

Check out these agility pics here:
cantabriaecs.tripod.com/morgan.html

and the good thing is owners with dogs that are not quite "show-quality" or who are non-pedigree can still have competitive fun with their dogs.

ginl
ALPHA

Oct 6, 2002, 9:13 AM

Post #2 of 25 (29526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

Yah i agree....agility trial wud be so much fun....right now we only hv obedience trial also open to all types of dogs.

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 6, 2002, 10:16 PM

Post #3 of 25 (29520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think if enough of us are interested we could get a group going to push for this sport in Malaysia? I think if there are enough takers, and esp. those with some clout or contacts with the doggy authorities/associations here, we could do something?

Hey ginl, is your dog a jack russel? They are sooo good at agility! i see them on TV all the time...

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Oct 6, 2002, 11:02 PM

Post #4 of 25 (29515 views)
Shortcut

Oh my, Miss Morgan is so beautiful! Very agile too, and gravity-defying (I'm guessing she jumped on the crate before clambering over) Wink. I love the sheen in their coats! Makes me want a CockerSpaniel again (I used to own a black one). Border Collies do extremely well at agility, and mongrels are not bad themselves. I don't have any contacts, but you can count me in on this.

-= Tisha =-

Khoobg
Webmaster

Oct 7, 2002, 3:14 AM

Post #5 of 25 (29512 views)
Shortcut

Well I guess if there is active participation, there will be Agility Trial in the future. Dogs that wish go for agility must first be trained for all basic command and the Handler must be able to control the dog via voice off leash.

If you look at MKA training classes, there are always a lot of student in the Basic Class. When come to Pre-Novice, the number drop to below 20. Worst still when it come to Novice, there are normally 10 students or less. Whether there will be an Intermediate Class in the coming training session is still a question mark as MKA need at least five people to start a class. Arthur will be able to let us know whether he has joined the Intermediate Class.

As trainee are only trained to go off leash in Novice Class and remote control in Intermediate or Open, with poor participation in these two categories will mean that there is little chance of starting an Agility Class in the near future.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

ginl
ALPHA

Oct 7, 2002, 3:51 AM

Post #6 of 25 (29508 views)
Shortcut

Yah mine's a JRT and they can do agility very well mainly because they're full of energy but i think it's going to be tough as well coz they tend to get distracted easily so the obedience must be there when doing agility....i agree Border Collies seem to be one of the best if not the best breed for agility....well count me in too on the support for agility classes and trials.

wkser
ALPHA

Oct 7, 2002, 10:30 PM

Post #7 of 25 (29496 views)
Shortcut

hi,
count me in if there is a agility competition......i would nous to take part in agility ..........nous love to run and fetch.......

regards
kangser and nous

boon
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2002, 12:59 PM

Post #8 of 25 (29483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

HeheheheBlush, Bonney like to fetch and run away.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

wkser
ALPHA

Oct 8, 2002, 6:13 PM

Post #9 of 25 (29481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

hi boon,
maybe you can teach bonney to bring it back to you...labbie is very easy to train........

regards
kangser and nous

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 9, 2002, 6:37 AM

Post #10 of 25 (29465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

The only prob I can see is the fencing problem - coz the training has to take place by a highway with no fencing, so off-leash might be considered dangerous for some owners who have easily distracted dogs or bad experience with cars and dogs in the past.

But I think if a group of us pursued agility - ie training to a high level and we stick to it - we just need to popularize it as a sport to get it going. Reason nobody does it now is coz not many people know much about it. If they can train their dogs to thatlevel of obeidence in other countries, im sure we can do it in Malaysia Boleh malaysia.

What u say?

wkser
ALPHA

Oct 9, 2002, 6:19 PM

Post #11 of 25 (29454 views)
Shortcut

hi luckey,
i think we can teach out doggie to that lever...........since you afaid of the fencing problem at normal you can teach your doggie at home then until one lever you can go off leash .......ihad read lot of book about training maybe you can get those book ........there were details how to train them.......

regards
kangser and nous

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 9, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #12 of 25 (29452 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Agility is exciting to watch! Both doggie and handler benefits from the close teamwork/bond required for this demanding and rewarding sport. Thus the agility team needs to have some basic training (IMHO at least to Novice level) before proceeding to actual agility training itself.

To start off agility training, we need the following:

Equipment: Dog walk, table, hurdles, tyre hurdle, A-frame, tunnel (rigid & collapsable), see-saw. Some can be home-made, some may have to be ordered.

Location: About 2 badminton courts size is the minimum for a full course to encompass the whole agility equipment mentioned above. Ideally, indoors for weather-proof! Or an indoor tennis court will do just fine thank you!

Trainers: Dunno anyone who can conduct agility training. Can approach the trainers on 19Oct. Other than that, maybe from videos, books, 1st hand experiences?

Misc: Storage facilities for the agility equipment, finances for rental, etc. One important note for MKA members - Better chk with MKA 1st before embarking on any canine training OUTSIDE the sanctioned training classes to avoid situations faced by our forum member Cheng See. For some reason or other, MKA is very concerned about MKA members getting involved with training OUTSIDE their control. IF this agility training is conducted on PRIVATE facilities, it should be okay. However, if it is conducted on PUBLIC facilities, then it's a NO-NO.

Not trying to pour cold water, just a bit of the real world creeping in. I for one, would like to participate in this exciting sport of dog agility. Definetly a big boost to canine popularity if it can be done and shown to the public.

Those with border collies.. real advantage in agility, I mean man, just look at their speed & control and their eagerness to please. Pure magic!

Rdgs Arthur

ginl
ALPHA

Oct 9, 2002, 10:27 PM

Post #13 of 25 (29444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Arthur,

I thought in Padang Merbok they hv all the agility equipment? That's what i heard frm Mr Tan Teik Poh....all this while i thought MKA also conducts agility classes as well since they hv all the necessary equipment.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Oct 10, 2002, 12:07 AM

Post #14 of 25 (29438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Agility Trials [In reply to] Can't Post

At present, there is no Intermediate, Open and Agility class and apparently there is no sufficient participation for MKA to hold such classes. If there are more active participation in the Novice Class onwards, MKA will definitely hold Agility Class in the future. They do not intent to start any class if there is less than 5 participants.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

ginl
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2002, 12:21 AM

Post #15 of 25 (29434 views)
Shortcut

If dogs must be at least in the Novice level of obedience to qualify for agility classes, then I suppose it wud be quite hard. I thought dogs who hv completed their basics can go over for agility, that's what's been going on overseas anyway. Too bad Unsure

wkser
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2002, 12:28 AM

Post #16 of 25 (29431 views)
Shortcut

me too...i thought when you got your doggie finnish the basic then you can the agility classes......maybe we have different rules here.....

regards
kangser and nous

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2002, 6:09 AM

Post #17 of 25 (29425 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur

Thanks for your informed view and a gd summary of our situation vis a vis agility here in Malaysia. I don't think you are pouring cold water at all! In fact, you've pointed out that it is pretty easy. It seems like there are a lot of dog lovers out there who want to bond with their dog, otherwise the training classes would not be so full - I just registered for the Basic course and was told it was full with 100 dogs already.

Let's talk with the trainers on the 19th Oct and see what they say, if tghey have experience in this sport etc. Even if they don't like u say, we can learn on the job. As long as one has basic dog training skills, am sure we can train to agility level if we r determined enough.

BTW why do u say MKA is iffy about MKA members joining training groups outside of the? WHat happened to Cheng See?

For the agility equipment, so does MKA really have any of those cool looking obstacles we see on tv? I just saw a fall, a frisbee, a rope, last time i was at padang merbuk... but am sure those doggy obstacles are affordable - they could perhaps charge more for the agility classes to make up the cost of the jumps/etc quicker... and perhaps let some dogs after basic obedience training join novice/basic level agility ON-leash first, so owners and dogs get hooked. If you're not allowed to join until your dog is above novice level, it kicks out a big group of otherwise would-be enthusiasts, who don't make it up to novice level for various reasons.

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2002, 8:39 AM

Post #18 of 25 (29416 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone!
First of all, I would like to say that it was only my honest opinion on the novice level requirement prior to agility training. It is NOT the's! Don't get me into trouble guys! (Just joking!)
I can only share what I have learnt from my basic, pre-novice and novice obedience training so far. It definetly has helped me to form a closer bond with Pepper to the point where we understand each other better now. Agility demands this level of understanding. Basic teaches us the sit, down, stay, recall and heelwork. But the finer points like fast down, tight heelwork, snappy recall, off-leash control, these are all taught from pre-novice and novice levels onwards. You will need this skills to be a good agility team.
In addition, I would advise against training young puppies (especially large breeds) any jumping skills as this would stress their still developing skeletal joints. Pepper did not start her jump training till 16mths. Of course normal play jumping is okay. That's part and parcel of growing up!
Let's continue to exchange ideas on this agility thing. And we'll make it a point to bring this matter up to the trainers for their feedback/advice on 19Oct during the graduation cum orientation party!
Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2002, 3:57 AM

Post #19 of 25 (29398 views)
Shortcut

Hey Arthur,

just called MA today to check on my MKA training class, and they said I had to wait for the letter. Then I said i just wanted to confirm it was on the 20th, and I wanted to swap one of my dogs I signed up and instead put my puppy in. But they said I had to wait for a letter from them to confirm and she asked who i'd heard from that it was on the 20th coz apparently they have not confirmed...

so are you positive about the date?

anyway, hope they haven't bumped me off into the next class after this 10 week course... dont want to wiat so long Unsure

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2002, 6:48 PM

Post #20 of 25 (29387 views)
Shortcut

The front desk people in MKA office refer to the obedience section for details. As such, until the obedience section issues the black and white letter, they would not be able to confirm the dates with you.

I can only relate what I have been told by the Chief Trainer on 29Sep ie to come back on 19Oct for the graduation ceremony. NOW, based on the 2 earlier graduation ceremonies I have gone thru, the following day would be the start of the next training session. Hence the date 20Oct comes about.

Hope this helps. To all who are reading this thread, please be aware that I do NOT speak for MKA, rather I'm just just an ordinary forum member sharing his experiences with others. Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 16, 2002, 6:41 AM

Post #21 of 25 (29347 views)
Shortcut

Just got confirmation from MKA that orientation will be this Saturday and training starts Sunday,,, yippee!!!

Arthur, are you bringing any dogs to these 10 weeks of training? (i mean after your graduation)

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 16, 2002, 6:55 AM

Post #22 of 25 (29346 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear that training will start again as planned!

Most probably I'll be bringing Pepper for her Intermediate class.

BTW, I heard that there'll be another obedience trail sometime between Nov/Dec period. It'll be a pure standalone obedience trail by itself, not together with any conformation show. This should be interesting. Date and venue have yet to be confirmed.

Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 16, 2002, 7:00 AM

Post #23 of 25 (29344 views)
Shortcut

Hey that's good to know. I wonder if any of my dogs will be ready? altho i doubt it (none have taken lessons, and this w/end my first time too!)

I've been making some dog jumps (coloured poles like those you see in agility) ... shall we talk with the trainers on Saturday and see what they say... i can bring along the jumps I've made in the car in case we have any use for them that day?

arthur
ALPHA

Oct 16, 2002, 6:15 PM

Post #24 of 25 (29336 views)
Shortcut

Nah..no need to bring these equipment just yet. Just enjoy the day, bring the furkids along, check who your trainer is, remember his/her name. Later, the trainers will call out their names, gather round him/her and listen to the briefing. Afterwards, enjoy the food, mingle round, identify who are the puppy.com. kakis.

Most probably, after the graduation ceremony for those who have passed their CGC, there will be a short demo in the finer points of obedience training. Watch out for Freddy's Lim OPEN level dog, Porshe (a border collie). Now that is my goal, to bring Pepper to that level of obedience training. After watching Freddy and Porshe, you'll know what I mean.Smile

Rdgs Arthur

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 17, 2002, 2:12 AM

Post #25 of 25 (29322 views)
Shortcut

OK... will leave the equipment behind and just enjoy the company of other dogs and dog lovers! I tried out the poles i made on my doggie Juno and she got so excited seeing them! she jumped the jump then ran straight to me and jumped into my arms, just like you see on tv!! she also managed to negotiate our really steep and perilous outdoor spiral stairs. I was so scared to watch in case she fell... we found she could do it coz she managed to come downstairs the other day and we couldn't find her coz all the doors were closed, then figured she mustve used the oudoor fire escape tiny stairs!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my