hot spots/dermatitis

sharonfong
Novice

Oct 23, 2003, 9:27 AM

Post #1 of 14 (12774 views)
Shortcut
hot spots/dermatitis Can't Post

Hi guys,

Help,Frown my shihtzu mix has got black spots/patches (sometimes red rashes) which itch quite bad. she has lost some fur around her neck area. tried using neem soap & cream for the spots but condition still persists. she also always bites her paws. been 2 the vet but nothing can be done. also have checked the net for cures.

could this be mange??Unsure

pls advise if anyone has the same problem before.

thanks a lot.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 23, 2003, 9:44 AM

Post #2 of 14 (12772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sharonfong] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

For the black spots, what colour was the skin originally? Are the patches rough? Bumpy? Dry?

If they're hot spots, first u must stop her from biting. Try using an e-collar. Then use some anti-bacterial cream. Keep it as dry as possible the skin i mean.

If it is mange, you should tell your vet to do a scrape to confirm. Then get some medication from him. Or if you prefer, a natural/herbal way to combat the mites. Here's a link that is useful if your dog has mange

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

Btw, what are you feeding her? It might be an allergy reaction too.

Honestly, it's hard to say what cause of the skin rashes are without seeing the condition with your own eyes...

What did the vet say? Maybe it's better to seek a second opinion?

Hope your little one gets well soonSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

sharonfong
Novice

Oct 24, 2003, 9:36 AM

Post #3 of 14 (12760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks 4 te info. it's been a year & i hv tried changing shampoos & i hv already seen 2 vets & they said could be stress/allergic to food or environment.(done skin scraping a few times & doc told me it's nothing but she might hv mange, told me she needn't go on medication but i've used Democil shampoo for a few times only & stopped). i hv already changed her food from eukanuba to bill jack( 2 mths ago). her skin is white. some patches of her skin is rough with tiny black spots. there are tiny black rough patches at her paws too. at her tummy area the tiny black spots are scattered all over but they are not as bad as her neck area. earlier, she has red or black patches with hole in middle & smell funny too(saw in the net, hot spot) but it is all black spots now. after changing her food the red spots & funny smell dissapeared but these black spots appeared. however there are no pus. even her eye lids and part of her tail are turning black. has lost some of her fur in her neck & little part of tail.

Does anyone know where i could get neem oil? went 2 a lot of pharmacies but couldnt get it. i m using neem soap 4 her, at least the funny smell has gone. one setback this soap makes her skin & fur very dry

regards,Pirate

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2003, 7:52 AM

Post #4 of 14 (12750 views)
Shortcut

Hmm...

I'm not sure but you said "done skin scraping a few times & doc told me it's nothing but she might hv mange"

If the skin scraping has been done..usually it's either a yes or a no because the mites can be seen through the microscope.

Maybe try another brand? perhaps a more natural one..like A*F? (that's the only one i can think of at the mo). Or you could try BARF.

Are the tiny black dots like pigmentation? Crazy

I *think* I hv an idea of what's going on. Have seen it before..but don't know what's it called. For her eye lids/tail which are turning black...is it itchy? or it's just the same..just that it's black ? or a little "thicker"?

For neem oil, try one of those indian sundry shops...some of them sell neem oil.Smile Take note though, pure neem oil might be harsh on her skin..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2003, 10:19 AM

Post #5 of 14 (12748 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

my pup's eyelids turned black too and looked like a dried up prune when he was at quite a bad stage of mange. He had flaky spots and later at certain parts ugly red pimples appeared near his thigh and they all had pus... Plus he lost a lot of fur around his eyes, muzzle and legs.

RealityDreamer is right...your vets should have been able to tell if it's a yes or no to mange after a scrape. Funny that they can just tell u that it 'might' be mange.

Meanwhile, do look up the thread on "Mange" and read through the symptoms. Some forumers posted some really good methods of washing ie the lemon solution. The lemon solution is not only good for mange, it's a good and safe wash for any type of skin problem. Do give that a try ASAP.

I think I read somewhere in this thread that you can get neem oil from the internet.

Also, judging from the way your vets advise you...perhaps you might want to go to another vet? And if I were you, i'd do it fast. I made a mistake of leaving my pup's problem for too long and trying too many things.....and he got really bad at one stage. (Area around his eyes even bled) Unsure

Good luck Smile

sharonfong
Novice

Nov 4, 2003, 8:43 AM

Post #6 of 14 (12713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

i m using the lemon remedy now. i've tried on chloe for 5days oredi & her skin condition looks better. The black dots looks lesser & her the black patches have oredi lighten up. just discovered my 1 1/2 yr old coco started to have black spots too at her genital area. gonna use it on her too.

cheers 2 reality dreamer 2!!

Best regards,

sharon

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 4, 2003, 8:51 AM

Post #7 of 14 (12712 views)
Shortcut

Hi sharon, Smile

Glad Chloe is better now..hopefully the lemon wash can help Coco too. Doggies skin condition are very troublesome and may need time to heal....so, just be patient for now Wink Hope to hear more good news soon!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 4, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #8 of 14 (12711 views)
Shortcut

hello,

Glad to know lil' Chloe is getting better Smile

Rgds,

Chloe Wink
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2003, 7:59 AM

Post #9 of 14 (12692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Just to share ... a scrap examination is not always conclusive ... depends on the type of mange/mite ...

Some species (eg. dermodectic mites) are quite small and burrow deep ... And a scraping may not reveal the mite ... a scrape can actually squash up the mites - making them difficult to identify/see under the scope ...

Cheers ... Smile

tan_ling
Dog Kichi

Apr 20, 2004, 7:26 PM

Post #10 of 14 (12443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

HOW TO MAKE A LEMON SOLUTION...CAN U TEACH ME??THANKSSmile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 24, 2004, 8:25 AM

Post #11 of 14 (12424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tan_ling] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello..

Just noticed your post Smile

you can refer to http://www.puppy.com.my/...cgi?post=54126#54126 The preparation is posted by ginl Cool

eugene
Novice

Sep 8, 2005, 7:51 AM

Post #12 of 14 (11814 views)
Shortcut

hi,
my 4mths shihtzu also got skin problem... redness in neck areas..when healing, a dead skin will like danduff and new layer of skin in pink color will be there, fur not rebond yet... this problem already 2 times..about 2 week once and take a week to heal.

today i go pet shop to buy Eukanuba Lamb and rice formular. previously, he take Eukanuba Chicken...(do your puppy also same with mine...take Eukanuba Chicken?)

lets see what's the result...

may i know which brand of Lamb n Rice food u r given to u lovely dog??

How good for Eukanuba L n Rice ??
(Do u have any ideal... Coz i am new....My shihtzu is my 1st puppy...so i m lack of experience :)

blurprincess
Dog Kichi

Dec 13, 2005, 4:33 AM

Post #13 of 14 (11690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eugene] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

my shih tzu has dermatitis also... been feeding him scince plan chicken flovour and has change to lamb and rice flavour.. not sure this help or not...

been to vet and the vet said is dermatitis and baobei need to take some pills...and lotion of course..

here is a pic which show that baobei's skin dermatitis on neck area.. his skin become very itchy and got red spots...

can anyone help me to solve this up? thank a lot..
i'm blur..blur...blurprincess....

http://www.blurprincess.blogdrive.com

woof
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2005, 12:25 AM

Post #14 of 14 (11641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blurprincess] hot spots/dermatitis [In reply to] Can't Post

My GR have the same problem now and I got this advice from my breeder.

1) Spray the infected spot with an Anti-Skin desease spray call Anifumex, u can get it from pet shop or shopping malls, the infected spot will dry up n peel off, spray twice a day. It works !

2) Let the dog have Air Cap Rhinocerous for cooling purposes, half a botol a day, forgot what's the ingredient in the water but it helps to cool down.

3) Clean up the place she lie down thoroughly n if u r using Clorox, please rinse dat area after clorox is applied.

4) Food , this one i m not sure yet, will consult my breeder n see koz many say chicken ingredients are bad, so might change to Lamb n Rice.

Please let me know if you hef any alternative to this ah, haaaaaaaai so heart pain see my pupppy scratch n lost her appetite. Thanks.

In Reply To
my shih tzu has dermatitis also... been feeding him scince plan chicken flovour and has change to lamb and rice flavour.. not sure this help or not...

been to vet and the vet said is dermatitis and baobei need to take some pills...and lotion of course..

here is a pic which show that baobei's skin dermatitis on neck area.. his skin become very itchy and got red spots...

can anyone help me to solve this up? thank a lot..

Yours in the World of Animal,
Woof Woof

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my