shih tzu vomits in morning

boomer
New User

Oct 17, 2003, 9:01 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2052 views)
Shortcut
shih tzu vomits in morning Can't Post

Hi

I am new, but have question for all of you knowledgable dog owners. I have a 3 month old shih tzu who is happy and "normal". Tuesday morning he vomited a "formed" oblong amount of whiteish vomit. seemed fine all day and night. Wednesday he did the same thing, first thing in the morning only the color was more brownish orange. Today he did it again and this time is was more yellowis tan. He eats anything he can get his mouth on out in the yard but we try to stop him. I know he had a mushroom or two on Monday. He eats Eukanuba most of the day and liver treats for training. No bowel changes, pain or eating habit changes have been noted. I called the vet they had me give him Kaopectate. So far it hasn't helped. Any thoughts?

Kowie
ALPHA

Oct 17, 2003, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boomer] shih tzu vomits in morning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Smile

1) Vomiting is quite common and is normally not a cause for concern. BUT! If it continues to persist without any other symptoms like lethargy, constipation and depression, I strongly advise you to take him for another check up. Perhaps a different vet if you feel that the current one isn't doing a good job.

2) Vomiting is usually caused by (a) them poping everything into their mouth Smile, (b) parasites such as worms, viral infections such as distemper (c) toxins such as household drugs and pesticides and (d) emotions such as stress or excitement.

3) For mild vomiting. Try mixing 8 tablespoons of fresh minced parsley with 1 cup of water. Boil for about 5 mins, strain and cool. Then add 1 teaspoon of honey per cup and feed your pup one tablespoon once every 10 mins. Let your pup fast on honey water (1 tablespoon of honey in 1 liter of warm water) for the rest of the day and feeding light meals and broth the next day. You can reintroduce the normal diet slowly on the following days.

4) For heavy vomiting. What you can do is not give your pup any heavy meals for about 24 hours but feed him small amounts of chicken broth, pureed chicken breast and other easy to digest stuff. You can carry out this mild diet for about 6 days. After the 3rd day, you can gradually add in some of your pup's normal diet, a bit at a time feeding 3 or 4 meals a day. After the end of the week your pup should be back to his normal diet. Smile

Vomiting can lead to dehydration so make sure your pup gets lots of fluids! Hope this is of some help and if the vomiting persists please bring you pup to a vet and insist on a through check up. Smile Hope the little fella gets well soon! Smile

Frown Kowie, Ah Kow & Whitie Frown

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2003, 7:10 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2033 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

if the vomitting continues for more than 2-3 days, it's advisable to see another vet. remember no milk allowed n preferably feed him with cooked chicken breast, or other types of bland food.

hope ur shih tzu recovers soonSmile

meiyoong

Oct 18, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2029 views)
Shortcut

I dunno what happen to your shih tzu but last time when my shih tzu is small that time, he also always vomit when he eatthe wrong thing. But if the vomit more than once a day, i advice u bring ur dog to the vet. If the medicine that your vet gave not effective, i think u should consider to change another vet.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2003, 9:48 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2027 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i recall once when my dog had exactly the same symptoms - whiteish foam, then brownish orange then yellowish tan. he is also on eukanuba that time. oddly enough, despite the constant vomiting he's still doing great.

we soon found out it's because he should be dewormed 3 months ago, which we didn't (we thought vaccination actually includes deworming as well :/)

so, if your dog is due for deworming, it could be due to that too. if not, then as fellow members suggested, it could most probably be something bad he ate.

regards,
hunter

boomer
New User

Oct 19, 2003, 3:54 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowie] shih tzu vomits in morning [In reply to] Can't Post

The vet gave us endosorb and compozine and had us take food and water away for 24 hours. Boomer was doing fine and did not vomit the next morning. I fed him rice and chicken, boiled and bland. He loved it and seemed like he was doing well. This morning I came down and there was yellowish foam on his blanket (not sure if there was more to it orignally , he probably would have eaten it). The vet said I should call if he vomits again to get an x-ray. I guess that is what I will do. He seems fine otherwise. The last time he ate was 8p.m. last night it is about 7 a.m. here. I just can't figure it out. THanks to all who have posted.

Kowie
ALPHA

Oct 19, 2003, 4:43 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Glad to know there was (is??) some improvement. Hope your pup gets well soon. Smile

Frown Kowie, Ah Kow & Whitie Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my