Golden Retriever's Infomation

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tkahhean

Oct 15, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #1 of 30 (4457 views)
Shortcut
Golden Retriever's Infomation Can't Post

Hi all Golden retriever lovers,

I'm having no dogs with me now, but i like Golden n beagle. I just want to find out the info about GR, then compare with Beagle, see which type suit me more.I really gonna ask all these Big brothers and Sisters here are:

1. GR suitable for apartment life?
2. noisy with the barking, or will bark frequently?
3. indenpendent, eg. no need take every single minutes to "sayang".
4 really so hyperactive?
5. can travel easily? by car penang to KL?
6 will adapt to new enviroment if i always change place or i always shift to new house?
7 How much you spend every month, average?
8. Grooming?
8 any problem when you started to have as a puppy? and untill now?

beacuse i wanna do a homework before have a puppy. i really worry about all this thing. I believe you all because you all have gone through all of this.
I really have to gather all this infomation to clear my doubt.

Thanks very much!!

tkahhean

tkahhean,
I love dogs and love dogs' lover too~!
Hope i'll have a puppy as soon as i wish~!

boon
Doggyman

Oct 15, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 30 (4454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tkahhean] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

1. no

2. not really

3. bitches will be more independent

4. none that i know off if compare to lab

5. yes, not a problem

6. yes

7. depend on what u feed the dog

8. minimum

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

cdmoo
ALPHA

Oct 15, 2003, 10:17 PM

Post #3 of 30 (4450 views)
Shortcut

hi tkahhean,

1. No!

2. No.

3. depends.

4. No. but being puppy, they r abit hyperactive.

5. no problem

6. Yes

7. food alone? about Rm130 (premium kibbles).

8. grooming yourself. no need fancy grooming.

9. i don't have a GR Crazy

As I heard from some forum members, GR tend to a bit fussy on food... just take note.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

kbs
Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #4 of 30 (4449 views)
Shortcut

Hi tkahhean,

for question 1 - 8, same with cdmoo/boon.

9) I own currently a 6 months old male GR as well as two beagles at home. My beagles are the noisy one and the one more active. My GR seems to be on the calm side.. and if compare with my beagles when they are young pup, I would say my GR is 100 times easier to handle compared with my beagles.

Regards,
KBS

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 15, 2003, 11:53 PM

Post #5 of 30 (4445 views)
Shortcut

hiya!

1. Apartment living is OK with goldens, *provided* that you are committed to take him outdoors daily for sufficient exercise that he needs, ie jogging and etc.. still, more space is preferable as they enjoy vigorous exercise.

2. will bark at strangers, but not to the extent of annoying you.

3. don't know about others.. but my male golden craves for attention, will look for us if he feels that he is ignored and scractches the door from outside and wants to come in, if he's left alone outside. definitely not independent :/

4. puppies, a *litle* hyper. adults, calm and gentle, great pets.

5. no problem

6. i *think* so.

7. around 150 bucks for food.

8. some simple combing and brushing at home will do the job.

9. very, very picky food eaters (this also applies to the individual dog's personality). mine dig holes in garden during puppy. other than that, not much problems i can recall of... they're easily trained ;)

hope this've helped. are u living in an apartment? if you are, you really have to seriously consider. i find that goldens, if less exercised and kept indoors, are gloomy, lazy and sleeps all day :/ you really have to be committed to exercise him regularly.

regards,
hunter

Samuel(ACS)

Oct 16, 2003, 12:16 AM

Post #6 of 30 (4443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie Hunter,

Are you From mmu... are you staying in puchong as well....hehe. I heard from Doodle....that u also mmu student... well i wanna gather all mmu students who stay in puchong preferably who has furbies....then we can go for gathering and well incase of emergency we know who to look for whom we can trust our furbies with...:)
Anyway FYI tkahhean is from MMU also:)
Adios
Adios
Dan The Dog Man,
Dog Lover....WO..WO..

mackmack
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2003, 2:16 AM

Post #7 of 30 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Hi tkahlean,
I love GR and beagle too!!Smile
is a GR, and I'm going to keep a beagle pup soon!

1. NO; UNLESS your apartment is huge, spacious, and with a nice common garden area which a llo whim to roam. AND, u have the free time to walk him, jog, him, play with him in the garden area.

2. NO; but this need training and guidance and PATIENCE.
3. NO; Independence =/= no need to be sayang.
4. YES, especially the first 2 years. Won't be destructive when u are away from home (after matured), but will definitely Hyperactive when seeing u around~Wink
5. CAN. Need time to get used to car-ride.
6. Shouldn't be a problem as GR can easily adapted to anykind of environment as long as u put the effort to show him the new place and let him get used to it for some time.... BE PATIENT.
7. USD$40 (average)
8. Very Least grooming. Very least maintainence. Just need a lot of attention and passion~Cool
9. Problems??? If you see those as "problems" then YES, if you learn how to be a GR owner, then those "problems" are nothing but "entertaining" for the first 2 years. After they are matured, you will feel the relieve and enjoy them being your life companion.

CHEERS~

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 16, 2003, 3:18 AM

Post #8 of 30 (4435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Samuel(ACS)] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

hie,

yes i'm from mmu~ and yes i'm staying in puchong as well :o !

i didn't know tkahhean is from mmu also :o

so many mmu ppl undercover in this forum huh... :O! impressive!

are u guys going to the upcoming gathering? we could meet up in person!

regards,
hunter

tkahhean

Oct 18, 2003, 7:07 AM

Post #9 of 30 (4414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks to all dai lo and sisters!

I think i can not have golden right now. But once i got a chance sure i will get golden.

tkahhean

tkahhean,

mackmack
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2003, 5:07 PM

Post #10 of 30 (4411 views)
Shortcut

Mad
u main main kah?? like that really hurt GR's heart ler~
eh....
not getting a GR, HOW about getting a LABBIE???Angelic
Can think think???Wink

tkahhean

Oct 18, 2003, 5:55 PM

Post #11 of 30 (4409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

alamaks...........i didnt main main lah! just staying apartment then how to have golden leh, later golden suffer mah~! Ask you ar, the golden's hair is it will fly over the houe ar?

tkahhean

tkahhean,

mackmack
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #12 of 30 (4408 views)
Shortcut

they don't FLY over the house,
they just stick to every cm of your houseTongue

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Oct 19, 2003, 11:35 AM

Post #13 of 30 (4400 views)
Shortcut

hi tkahhean,

when do u plan to get the GR ? i'm looking forward for one by end of this year. will begin calling up a few breeders to check the availability. if you're interested, we can go window shopping as and when you are free. even if it will be sometime b4 you can get one, am sure you will know where to look for apart from the conventional way getting it from petshops.
Jack

tkahhean

Oct 20, 2003, 6:16 PM

Post #14 of 30 (4389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shockmesane] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockMesane,

I think i will get it by beginning of next year. So you know any good and responsible breeder ar? you can visit, it's GR breeder. I just discuss with my father yesterday, he also agree to have GR. yeh yeh....~!!!!!!!! Shock, where do you from?

tkahhean

tkahhean,

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Oct 20, 2003, 10:16 PM)

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Oct 21, 2003, 8:22 PM

Post #15 of 30 (4376 views)
Shortcut

hi hean,

i hv contacts for a few breeders around this area. the few of them are house breeders whom i've been told are responsible ones. not good to advertise here tho, after all, i dun get anything from advertising. hehe. glad that your dad also agrees to have a GR. it's a good start too. i'm from KL, old klg rd.

btw, i would like to contribute my one cent worth of opinion (if it'seven worth one, kekeke) for your questions:

1. From what i read, GRs can accomodate a smaller living space. However, it must be accompanied with lots of exercise. for the first year, light exercises or walks. Not strenous ones, as when the hips are developing, it could easily be injured and cause subsequent complications later on.

2. in apt, i dun suppose they make lots of noises, as they don't see strangers or other dogs. however, training has to be given. i've seen a few GRs around my area, when i brought my puppy out for walk, they will bark non-stop, and due to their grown up size, quite scare tho. like wanna attack me or my puppy.

3. GRs are great human companion. if you only one dog at home, they will be very attached to your family members. you need to limit petting them in the beginning, or else they will have the habit of 'begging' you to pet them every now and then, as often as they love to. it will be a little annoying when u want to rest a while on the couch, or do some serious readings. let them know you need your own private time as well.

4. My ex-colleague has just bought a 3rd GR. from what i know, they're not hyperactive. regular daily walks will suffice their requirements to burn off excessive energy, if not, they will be hyperactive at home. compared to beagles, beagles are rather 'home destructive' due their eager beaver and playful nature.

5. travelling should not be a problem, as there has been a lot of owners who bring them out for car-cruising. make sure your air-cond is working. hehe

6. adapting to new environment is fine, as you are still with them. new environment meant more snooping and sniffing around initially. and also locating the potty area, etc etc.

7. they are what they eat. how much you spend is individual, and definitely much more than toy dogs or smaller sized ones. they eat a lot. and if you want the dog look like what u see in magazines, hehe ... am sure u will know how much it will cost. there were some comments on it by the few true GR fans around, can't recall which thread.

8. grooming is regular. and they do shed a lot. my friend's vacuum cleaner kaput due to excessive hairs accumulating inside the cleaner.

9. as puppy, training them is relatively very much easier. they learn the rountine you set for them very fast. my second day with my GR, she already know what time i will wake up, and waiting for me to bring her out for toilet business. the third day, she already knew what shake hands meant. they are also very attentive to your intonation and feelings. i scolded her a few times when she makes a mess, but not really feeling angry at all. she just ignored me tho. but once when she played with the water and wet the carpet, i was just casually saying it out with a rather geram feeling, and she quickly sat at a corner acknowledging she has done wrong. i was about to bring her out on a car cruise then. ;-)

since you and your dad has decided a GR will be it, make sure you do a lot of readings regarding them.
Jack

Samuel(ACS)

Oct 21, 2003, 10:31 PM

Post #16 of 30 (4374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

Well i will most probably go but not for tkahhean...cos he is having his ind training in ipoh....
and he will be going back to pg this weekend.... i wonder how many more MMU student here in this forum... well if there is any please don't hide...come out lar....:)Wink See ya Li Ping....in the gathering.... but i can't bring My lil' Sam along still yet to finish his jabs...hehe....but u can always come visit him since i am also staying in puchong....
so which part of puchong are u staying??? and which vet do you take ur hunter too....hope can meet up with you so u can give me some tips on how to train my lil Sam... heard that hunter is very well trained....
Hope my lil' Sam can be like him one day....
See ya...Adios
Adios
Dan The Dog Man,
Dog Lover....WO..WO..

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 21, 2003, 11:08 PM

Post #17 of 30 (4369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Samuel(ACS)] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

oh, industrial training... are u guys from FOM?

yeah, perhaps someday i ought to dropby and check out the dogs.. haven't seen doodle yet also ~! hunter goes to Dr. Dhillon's clinic..

see ya in the gathering :> can share some experience in training.. i'm still a beginner at it though :/

tkahhean

Oct 25, 2003, 7:22 PM

Post #18 of 30 (4347 views)
Shortcut

Shockmesane,

Any news about GR? have you found a suitable breeder already? i'll back to Kl after my pratical training in ipoh by 10 Dec 2003. So if got chance then we go to visit the breeder lah. ok?

thanks

tkahhean,

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Oct 25, 2003, 9:08 PM

Post #19 of 30 (4344 views)
Shortcut

harlow,

i checked with a shop owner, which happens to have two GRs. it was from a breeder that i've heard of. very tempted to buy, but have to locate the $$ first. when ur back, let me know lah. we'll do some window shopping first.
Jack

tkahhean

Oct 28, 2003, 4:51 AM

Post #20 of 30 (4328 views)
Shortcut

hello,

Fine, when i'm in kl then call you lah. So when you going to have, i think you dont rush to have it, right?

You're staying in the landed property? Because i'm staying in apartment then i have to really find a Golden

with really very good temperment. That's why i have to find it slowly.

tkahhean,

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2003, 12:25 AM

Post #21 of 30 (4322 views)
Shortcut

at the moment, need to find the $$ first lor. if not after buying no money to buy pet food lagi teruk. definitely not rushing to get one though. better take time to locate the one, and i really meant "the one". hehe.

let me know when ur back to kl. take care.
Jack

tkahhean

Oct 29, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #22 of 30 (4316 views)
Shortcut

okok...sure i will call you when in kl. Where do you live in KL? are you local? yeh..need to get money 1st b4 give them the best...hihi~!

tkahhean,

shockmesane
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2003, 10:45 PM

Post #23 of 30 (4307 views)
Shortcut

me staying in old klg rd, oug.
Jack

kesuke
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #24 of 30 (4286 views)
Shortcut

really really really gonna get a golden and keep him in kl?? Smile let me see your new pup when you get 1 okie???

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

tkahhean

Nov 8, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #25 of 30 (4270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Golden Retriever's Infomation [In reply to] Can't Post

nolah..once get puppy,then keep in penang mah. Because i think this year is my final year sure very very busy one. So i think after graduate only get the pup mah. Now, i just only wanna get more knows about GR and the breeders. :) Hopee i really can be a GR owner one day lah.

tkahhean,

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my