Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Aggressive Tail Chasing

skeags
New User

Oct 14, 2003, 5:39 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2891 views)
Shortcut
Aggressive Tail Chasing Can't Post

I have a 4month old mixed breed dog. At about 2.5 months of age, he started to aggressively chase his own tail if he got mad. If I took something he shouldnt have out of his mouth for example he would go into this "fit" for quite a while. Scared me at first, but now I just walk away. He looks like he's going after his own tail and if he got a hold of it would bite it off. Other than this behaviour, he seems fine. What can I do and how "normal" is this? Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 14, 2003, 7:07 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skeags] Aggressive Tail Chasing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile ...

If your dog is behaving normally otherwise (no undue aggession or growling) ... then I think there is nothing to worry about ... you puppy is probably just playing ...

It's often referred to as "5 minute madness" ... when dogs just go a little "gila" for a few minutes ... and they do something quite inexplicable like chasing their tails ... going round and round ...

Our dogs sometimes just run up and down the garden as if they are chasing something - when there is nothing there to chase ... quite normal ... and the doggie usually grows out of it ... It's fun to watch ...

Cheers Smile

2ephyr
ALPHA

Oct 14, 2003, 7:17 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skeags, surchinmy] Aggressive Tail Chasing [In reply to] Can't Post

brooklyn likes 2 chase its tail as well....he will go circlin tryin 2 chew its own tail....once he got hold of it he will stop.....a bit sot sot wan Crazy

talkin bout runnin up n down, he will run will from one end of da house towards the other end for a few laps....nothin can stop him....damn fast...Crazy

Kowpa

Oct 14, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2883 views)
Shortcut

some tail chasing are genetic hyper active like your pup I think he feels bore when this behaviour happen, was he in the cage or run loose what breed x with what breed?

skeags
New User

Oct 14, 2003, 8:14 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Aggressive Tail Chasing [In reply to] Can't Post

It only happens when he gets angry. He's not bored as he and my other dog play all day long. Its also not simply chasing his tail...its growling, biting and very aggressive behaviour. The vet has him on prozac but its not stopping this behaviour. He is a mixed small breed. He is crate trained.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 14, 2003, 4:54 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2867 views)
Shortcut

when kinki is about 3 months old, she too like to chase her tail . sometimes she also tends to bark when she sees a housefly or frog jumping around the garden. she also scared of cats.

but as she grow older and now she's 6 months old. she do not chase her tail anymore. maybe she's bored about the game already. andshe's not afraid of cat anymore, she'll chase them away as soon as she saw them.

and now she do not bark at those frogs, but starting to KILL them. poor frog.. all died. :/

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 16, 2003, 12:00 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Aggressive Tail Chasing [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

careful with frogs, i've heard from KK that frog pee causes temporary blindness.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2003, 4:18 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Aggressive Tail Chasing [In reply to] Can't Post

REALLY!!
but i can't control those frogs. coz they tends to come to my house during night time.
i think i better lock kinki up during night time.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Oct 16, 2003, 6:18 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2849 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi...like what surchinmy said it's true. They go mental for a while. My pup also chases his tail aggresively. I find it cute and funnyLaugh. The first time Dome chased his tail , my hubby said he has a serious sickness. I was so worried. Then my hubby said it's called 'bodoh-ism'. HeheheSly.Anyway the whole thing is funny lah.

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my