First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2003, 5:22 AM

Post #1 of 35 (10190 views)
Shortcut
Need help with Ear infection prob! Can't Post

hi,

My GSD has an ear infection about 2 months ago and i've took him to a vet in subang which gave me some antibiotics and ear drops..after two weeks, no chnages at all and then i went and seek a second opinion and the doc gave me an ear ointment..which did cured him for a while and recently it came back again and its even worse..the smell is terrible and there's a lot of wax in its ear..no choice i have to brought him to another vet which suspected tht he had maggots in his ears..so they do a blood test before they put him on anaesthetic bcos of his age..and nothihng was in there..therefore was send home again with ointment n medicine..and doc said tht if the ointment couldnt make him improve then it will be a bit of prob for him as next option which is operation and tht is not advisable to his age at 8yo..anyone has encounter this prob before or knows any vet tht is very good in this and also charges quite reasonable?..have really spend a lot on his medical bill but its not the main prob if it could cured him but despite all the vet bills..he didnt improved...pls help guys..really need a good vet n some adviceUnsure
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

Riccaval
ALPHA

Oct 12, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #2 of 35 (10181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

UnsureHi Ivan, sorry to hear about ritchie.

Have you considered alternative remedy? I think there is no harm trying as you have already been to several vets without success.

Try contacting the webmaster to find out what is the homoeopathic remedy that is effective for ear problems.
CheersCool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 12, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #3 of 35 (10178 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

There is much to be said in favour of not being afraid of changing vets if the original vet is unable to treat your dog's ailment effectively ... or seeking second opinion ...

But constantly changing vets ... can also cause problems - because even good vets sometime need to see a dog more than once to make effective diagnosis ... or prescribe effective medication.

Have you ever returned to the vets, to ask what might be the problem with your dog's ears? Is it an allergy? ... Bacterial or parasitic infection (ear mites)?

Why does the 3rd vet think an operation necessary?

Without enough information - it's impossible to give any suggestion or exchange experiences ...

Suggest you take the dog back to the "best" of the 3 vets and allow the vet to do follow up or elimination medication ... And do ask your vet to explain in detail what may be wrong with your dog ...

Cheers Smile

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 13, 2003, 8:45 PM

Post #4 of 35 (10168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi riccaval,

yeah no harm trying..anyway thanks for ur suggestion..will wait for a few days to see whether the new medication works or not..he's been very sad lately bcos of the e-collar that we had to put on him..well thanks for ya concern
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

Riccaval
ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 8:54 PM

Post #5 of 35 (10166 views)
Shortcut

Smileno prob. I see u stay in KK too, which part?
I'm at 31/105. Maybe i can send my dogs to you for groomingCool

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 13, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #6 of 35 (10164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy,

well ive been changing vets bcos i have encounter some bad experience with these vets..first vet tht we went to was bad!! took him there and told an indian man who i presume to be the doctor about his prob and he try to get some wax out from his eye which he failed bcos my dog never allows other ppl to do it except me..therefore i volunteer to help the so called doc to do it..and bfore i could do it, this chinese lady(i supposed is the boss) took some cotton with a tweezer n just shoved it in my dogs ear which i think would hurt him n he did struggle..and after tht they prescribe med for him n told me its an infection. and at the end of the visit i dont even which is the doctor!!!so we went home n tried out the med for more than a week and it doesnt improve at all..therefore second opinion fr another vet which i did not brought my dog along and just explain to the doc the symptoms..and he gave me an ointment..got well for three weeks and it came back therefore we ended up in the third doc which told us its not an infection..and the other docs told us it wass infectionMad well we're still trying out the medication given by the third vet and hopefully it will improve...by the way u seem to know a lot about vet thingy...are u a vet or ?>??

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 9:06 PM

Post #7 of 35 (10163 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

Nope ... not vet or any such ... just have dogs ... Smile

Well ... it does sound like you need to find a good vet who knows and understand dogs (and dog ailments) ... who is prepared to do proper examination of your dog and explain things to you ...

I don't understand how a vet can prescribe medication without seeing dog or recommend an operation without explaining why the operation is needed.

It's real hard to say what can or cannot be done or suggested for your dog's problem, without knowing what might be causing it ...

If you wish ... you can email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 13, 2003, 9:08 PM)

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 14, 2003, 7:59 AM

Post #8 of 35 (10157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

oh yeah i'm staying at 31/26, where is 31/105?
anyway didnt knw tht you're staying so close..sure no prob, u can send them over for grooming anytime..urs are ckcs right?..

nathalie
Doggyman

Oct 14, 2003, 8:26 AM

Post #9 of 35 (10153 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

hope surchinmy hepled u in finding a better vet.Smile

well hope ur doggies recover soonSmile

K9Angel
Novice

Oct 16, 2003, 1:12 AM

Post #10 of 35 (10144 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ivan & Ritchie boy,

My little "pom-terrier" constantly has ear infection on the right ear. But he never got into serious problem like having maggots inside. Thanks for bringing this subject up so that I'll always inspect his ear.

When my pom-terrier has ear infection, I will put ear drops into the canal of the ear so that it is wet. And then I'll insert a cotton bud (not too deep) to clean his ear. Do this step a few time until the last cotton bud comes out look cleaner. After cleaning it, I'll put ear ointment or medicine (prescribed by vet) for the infection. By doing it for a few days, the swelling starts to ease.

But for your case (with maggots ~ yeeee....), I doubt my way is suitable.

Good vet around? I always send my dogs to this vet in Lorong Maarof, Bangsar Park. The vet is good & friendly but don't know how much they charge you.

At the mean time, try to keep ritche's place clean & dry & ventilated. Smile

Good luck in searching for the right vet.

Cheers, K9 Angel Wink

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 17, 2003, 7:47 AM

Post #11 of 35 (10140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [K9Angel] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi K9angel,

well my vet did not find any maggots inside but all the symptoms are there...he's getting better now...and according to the vet, GSD are very prone to ear infection..Unsure well so cant say much..tried to keep his ear clean but it just happen to fast..cottton bud? hmm..well my vet told me not to use cotton bud though...anyway i neevr used it on my dog before..i just cotton to clean it out..well u could check this vet out which is in sunway damansara...i'm sure a lot of our members here knows him..its dr hasnul...he's quite good...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2003, 5:21 AM

Post #12 of 35 (10131 views)
Shortcut

what is the correct way to clean the dogs ear?

i saw many dirt in there and wish to have it clean. but i'm quite not sure how is the correct way to clean it. can you teach me?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2003, 6:04 AM

Post #13 of 35 (10127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...Smile

(A) Get ready cotton pads (the kind you use to clean off makeup) and a good ear cleaning lotion (you get get ear lotion from the pet shop or vet) ... (A mild sea-salt solution or apple cider vinegar solution also work well)

(B) DAMP (not wet) the cotton pad with the ear cleaning lostion. Using your finger, gently clean the inside of your dog's ears, wiping from inside to out.

(C) Work your fingers GENTLY into the folds and wipe OUTWARDS (do not push dirt or wax into the ear) the dirt.

CAUTIONS:

(1) A dog's ear canal is different from human's, in that a dog's ear canal can trap water more easily. So do not get moisture/water into a dog's ear. Trapped moisture/water can cause an infection.

(2) You will find that, your finger cannot reach to clean out the inner areas of your dog's ear.

These areas can be cleaned out with a cotton bud. But I suggest you get someone to actually show you how to do this BEFORE TRYING YOURSELF. The dog's ear canal is quite short and unless you know how to do it, you can accidentally hurt the dog.

CheersSmile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 18, 2003, 9:32 AM

Post #14 of 35 (10123 views)
Shortcut

Hi SK,

Sparkle used to have really smelly ears Crazy I bought an ear cleansing solution thingy off the shelf of a petshop. Squirt some in, massage ear canal and then let him shake it all out. Then I'll just wipe it off with facial cotton and follow with baby oil. I do this once a week, before I bathe him.

I've never used cotton buds as the solution is supposed to clean everything inside. Is that sufficient for cleaning the insides of his ears, in your opinion? good news is, no more foul smell after that. Smile

Also putting him on homeo meds Helpa Sulphur 30C helped with the smell tremendously.

serene_kwlim
K9 Maniac

Oct 20, 2003, 10:00 AM

Post #15 of 35 (10113 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ivan,

Did the vet explain to u y he/she said tat GSD are very prone to ear infection..?? curious about this. pls. advise! thankz..Smile hopw Ritchie boy will get well soon.!

regards,Smile
Serene Lim
My furkids: Jamie & Max.

Jamie's WebSite
GSD Owner? Pls add in!

Jamie's Dogster
Max's Dogster

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 21, 2003, 6:36 AM

Post #16 of 35 (10100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [serene_kwlim] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi serene,

hmm...did not ask the vet about it though..ehehe..forgot to ask lah..but the vet told me GSD are prone to these few prob:skin prob,ear infection and also maggots wound..and ritchie has all of it before..not once but at least twice...hmm..well sometimes these things are hard to prevent eventhough u take extra pre caution...Smile

Kowpa

Oct 21, 2003, 8:04 AM

Post #17 of 35 (10098 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Quote:

hmm...did not ask the vet about it though..ehehe..forgot to ask lah..but the vet told me GSD are prone to these few prob:skin prob,ear infection and also maggots wound..and ritchie has all of it before..not once but at least twice...hmm..well sometimes these things are hard to prevent eventhough u take extra pre caution...Smile

If u don't mind Plse supply me the registered vet clinic's name, Dr's name, TelephoneNumber location of the registered vet Thanks

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Oct 24, 2003, 12:12 AM

Post #18 of 35 (10087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kowpa,

ermm i think its not allowed to publish the name of the clinic here..its in sunway damansara..y? u wanna bring your doggy there?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 4, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #19 of 35 (10075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Unless Sparkle has a particular problem with ear wax or some ear infection - using the ear cleaning solution should be sufficient ...

And (if not confident or experienced with ear buds) you are correct to just use cotton pads ... much safer that way ...

Cheers

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 7:07 AM

Post #20 of 35 (10061 views)
Shortcut

was wondering...are there any anti-bacterial solution that i can buy fr pet shops ? for Tyson's back and forth battle with the ear infection?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2003, 7:48 AM

Post #21 of 35 (10058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

The pet shop in Taman Tun ... carries several good brands of ear lotion ...

But if Tyson's problem is mild ... you can try cleaning with mild vinegar solution and see how that goes ... the vinegar is reduces bacteria and helps retards yeast/fungus ...

Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 9:10 AM

Post #22 of 35 (10056 views)
Shortcut

Will go there to check it out...hmm..it's near ayamas right? and the office too?

how many parts water to how many parts vinegar? how mild...?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2003, 7:56 PM

Post #23 of 35 (10052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile ... Yeaps you have the right location ... just say you know me and ask them to recommend an appropriate product. The owners are quite knowledgable and helpful.

As for vinegar solution for ears ... use Apple Cider Vinegar (which is quite mild in itself) and say ... a table spoon in a mug of lukewarm water. Observe and increase or decrease concentration as necessary.

Cheers

boon
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #24 of 35 (10049 views)
Shortcut

Hi SK,

unfortunately ACV to my Bonney == Lari kuat kuat............she will run away and hide herself (she still think she is small size, but she is so FAT) and like to hide underneath the bed and table.

So i must pretend i didn't see her if not, will run like crazy and sometime spinning like a furball and then go hide again.Blush

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2003, 12:13 AM

Post #25 of 35 (10045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Need help with Ear infection prob! [In reply to] Can't Post

... *big laughs*... Smile

Bonney sounds lovely ... just like a retriever ...

But so strange huh ... some doggies love ACV and some just hate it ... Crazy ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Nov 7, 2003, 12:14 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my