Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight?

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 11, 2003, 9:26 AM

Post #1 of 22 (3042 views)
Shortcut
new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? Can't Post

i hav a new puppy(half year old is still a pup??),small sized. an 2 yearold dog,medium size. at first they bark at each other and if i 'sayang' new dog,old 1 will jealous(bark..etc),sayang old dog,new dog will jealous..new dog always kacau old dog n i worry 1 day they will fight..u noe old dog is alot stronger..n the consequences is ..u know lar (2 dogs are same,female)

so how to introduce a new pup to an old dog?

**i say old but actualy i mean adult Wink

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 9:36 AM

Post #2 of 22 (3037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mari_Lyn] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

female dogs are like that...jealous pots!!Wink

i guess you have to love them equally. like say, bring them for walks together and etc...don't let them feel like the other party is getting all the attention...

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 11, 2003, 9:48 AM

Post #3 of 22 (3033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

i wonder if they will go walking together..will they start a fight b4 walking together?
im scared coz my previous dog always fight with it

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 10:04 AM

Post #4 of 22 (3031 views)
Shortcut

erm...you just brought the pup home??

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 11, 2003, 10:18 AM

Post #5 of 22 (3027 views)
Shortcut

yes..tat pup is brought home by my brother..he say he likes it(Lily) but he nvr sayang my 2 yearold doggy(black,named FiFi)

their name sounds alike,will there b trouble?de new pup's name is given by it previous owner

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 10:26 AM

Post #6 of 22 (3026 views)
Shortcut

okie..why don't you and your bro walk the dogs together..shouldn't be a problem handling the dogs..SmileSmile

i don't think you need to change their names..lily and fifi sound just fine...and lovely too.. Smile

Kowie
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 12:00 PM

Post #7 of 22 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I just brought back a new dog, Whitie, she's about a year old and both Whitie and Ah Kow get along pretty well. Smile Both are female and Whitie is medium sized while Ah Kow is tiny.

It's always a bit difficult at first. Sure got a bit of barking, growling, etc. Ah Kow even got bitten twice. CrazyUnsure There will be a few "arguments" about who's going to be the Alpha dog. But after a while I guess they'll see that there's not much choice but to adjust and I guess they'll learn to appreciate each other's comapny. Smile

You have to adjust too! I manja them both at the same time. One hand each lor... Tongue And they both get treats at the same time if not one fella will end up feeling jealous. Unsure

When no one is in I seperate them, Whitie gets the garden and Ah Kow gets the house, coz' don't want to risk a unsupervised fight. Perhaps you can give this a try and slowly leave them alone for short periods of time and slowly increase the length of time. Also be careful during their meal times, some dogs don't like other dogs anywhere near their food and can get quite agressive.

Hope this will be of some help and best of luck! Smile

Frown Kowie, Ah Kow & Whitie Frown

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Oct 11, 2003, 6:08 PM

Post #8 of 22 (3021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowie,mari_Lyn] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow Hilda,

That was very well said and explained! Syabas to you!! Smile

hi mari_Lyn,

I have a bullmastiff and a GR and they both live, eat, sleep and shit in the same compound. Well, unlike yours, they are both males. Jealousy is ALWAYS present, but GR being a GR, he always gives in, and the bullmastiff will always try to get more attention from us. I guess it really depends on the temperament of the dog, and I read it somewhere that normally, the first dog in the household would normally hold as the Alpha dog, maybe that is why Bruce (my GR) always seem inconfident or rather.. nice. However, they do fight occasionally, but they know that each time they do that, my dad gets really mad at them and give them a good scolding... my dad is their master, and my dad treats them equally, ie giving threats and all. All in all, they get along fine and they do play with each other alot. I remember there was once, we took Bruce to Ipoh to a friend's place for a week and left Prince (my bullmastiff) all alone. We actually thought that Prince would be happy since he got our attention all to himself, but it was the opposite!! He looked sad, didn't want to eat much, just kept on laying there... even when there's threats, he just wasn't as excited as when Bruce was around!! CrazyBut when Bruce came back, my gosh!! Hell broke loose, they were so so happy to see each other that they kept on licking and playing with each other!!Sly Some of my friends think that they're gay! WinkTonguehahaha

So yeah.. give them time... and do try to practise Hilda's (Kowie)method. They will learn to love each other and accept each other as family.

Good luck and update us ya! God Bless!Smile
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

Kowie
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 8:16 PM

Post #9 of 22 (3019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushBlushNot much experience... Just suggest only lor.. TongueBlush

mari_Lyn
Dog Kichi

Oct 12, 2003, 10:15 AM

Post #10 of 22 (3010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for giving ur opinion
i 'll try my best
hey..all of u sounds like adult,u all 18++ already ah?
working?studying?
and i feel like most of u doesnt rear mixbreeds..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 12, 2003, 7:58 PM

Post #11 of 22 (3001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mari_Lyn, Kowie] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys ...

*** Kowie ... Well said ... Smile ... although I am not so sure that you should treat both dogs as equals AFTER they have settle their respective pack positions ...

*** Marilyn ... as mentioned by Kowie, the dogs need some time to sort out who is the 'boss' ... dogs are pack animals and will need to sort out their relative positions in the family ... This is normal ...

But once the dogs have decided who is No:1 and No:2 ... You & your other family members also follow that sequence of seniority ...

In other words:
(a) When you come home - greet No:1 first and then No:2 ...
(b) Treat No:1 first then No:2 ...
(c) You also place food down in that order when feeding.

And same same for everything else ... No:1 first then No:2 ...

If you don't follow the order that the dogs have set - you may accidentally encourage the No:2 dog to challenge No:1 ... and then you run the risk of unsettling the pack order and your doggies may continue quarreling with each other ...

By following the pack order (decided by the dogs) - you will minimise tension and settle the doggies down into their position ... and then no dog feels threatened or will feel a need to change the pack order ...

Cheers Smile

PS ... A Little Caution: Just make sure you observe your dogs carefully and do not let the doggie disagreements out of hand ... a little growling and showing of teeth is sometimes necessary ... but separate the dogs BEFORE anything serious happens ... If the dogs are having serious argument - then get someone to give you a hand ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 12, 2003, 8:15 PM)

Kowie
ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 8:51 AM

Post #12 of 22 (2986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I had no idea that treating them equal might start up trouble. Unsure First time having two dogs. Anyway, thanks for the info! Smile Will try it out to see if they're ok with it. Cool

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #13 of 22 (2984 views)
Shortcut

hi[:)

but wouldn't it promote dominance acquisition??

jc
Novice

Oct 13, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #14 of 22 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surchinmy,

Wow, to have two dogs can actually cost more problems, huh?
Although, I don't have two dogs, but I was just wandering: if let says both dogs wants to be number one, would they fight until one of them go kaboom?
(Touch wood, of course!)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 8:23 PM

Post #15 of 22 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jc] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile

I would say having 2 or more dogs is for sure more complicated (for obvious reasons) but does not necessarily create more problems ... though problems can sometime arise.

Much depends on the dogs' breed, the timing of introduction of new dogs, the sex, and the individual personality of the dogs themselves ...

But probably most of all - a lot depends on the owner ... and how the owner (a) introduces a new member to the pack, (b) allows the dogs to establish pack hierarchy, and lastly (c) how the owner maintains and reinforces pack hierarchy, without introducing additional conflict, stress or tension is very important.

But sometimes (fortunately, not often, but it can happen - and usually between dogs of the same sex) ... 2 dogs may want to claim the same position (whether No:1 or No:2 etc) ... when both dogs have equal dominance personality ... then maintaining peace between the 2 dogs requires extra care & effort ...

In such a difficult situation ... yes ... as you say - sometimes the situation can explode into a fight ... but it is very rare for the fight to continue until one dog seriously harms another ... most often, there will be a lot of noise, growling, snarling etc etc ... maybe a couple of bites ... (it will looks & sound terrifying ... jaws and snapping everywhere) ... but usually one dog will submit before serious harm is done ...

Separating fighting dogs also requires great care and experience helps - Always be careful ...

A firm but fair and reasonable owner can keep peace in most situations. I (personally) feel that people should not introduce a 2nd dog until after they have become more experienced ...

From what I have seen - when 2 dogs don't get along together - it's often caused by inexperienced owners who are not sure how to handle a pack of dogs or do not understand enough about dog pack dynamics ... and accidentally create conflict situations.

It is very rare for one dog to intentionally and permanently hurt another ... Possible but rare ...

In rare cases - the dogs may have to be kept separately ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 13, 2003, 8:59 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 8:56 PM

Post #16 of 22 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

Sorry ... not sure what you mean by "dominance acquisition" ...

Basically ...

(A) Dogs view their owners and themselves as belonging to the "same family or pack" ... and from the dog's perception - we all have a position in this "human/dog family" ...

(B) And from a dog's point of view (and same for human interaction), the members' relative position within the "family" is important ... To a dog, a stable pack with established hierarchy means stability. And a dog will behave according to its position within the family - it will behave differently to members above it and below it ...

So when 2 dogs have established their relative positions in the family ... the pack is stable.

But if the owner (viewed by the dogs as the leader) starts to treat the No:2 dog with preference over the No:1 dog ... then the owner may accidentally start conflict ... Preferencial treatment in the wrong order can increase tension and instability within the family.

Sometimes inexperienced owners feel sorry for the No:2 dog ... and give extra "sayang sayang" to the No:2 dog, give extra treats etc ... or try to over-protect the No:2 dog - not realising that by so doing - the owner is possibly adding fuel to the situation and increasing conflict & tension ...

Incorrect preferential treatment can encourage the No:2 dog to believe that it can challenge for better position ... or ... it can force the No:1 dog to become even more aggressive or dominant, to try and protect it's existing position ... And all this is not good for pack stability ...

Pack stability is not a stagnant thing ... it is constantly fluid and can change ... It changes when a new dog is brought home ... it changes when one dog gets old or gets sick ... it can change for many reasons. An experienced owner will observe and see the changes ... even anticipate the changes ... and the owner will modify his/her own behaviour & treatment of the dogs to accommodate such changes and keep peace within the pack.

Pack behaviour is a reasonably complicated ... getting a good book on dog behaviour & psychology is a very good idea ... Try "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888047054/ref=pd_sim_books_5/102-8083923-0132113?v=glance&s=books

Cheers Smile

jc
Novice

Oct 13, 2003, 9:23 PM

Post #17 of 22 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Hmmp....

Just wanna know more and too lazy to make research, so might as well ask you.Smile

the timing of introduction of new dogs
- In that case when is a good timing?

how the owner
(a) introduces a new member to the pack
- you mean cannot bring the new puppy go to the older dog and say: Big boy please meet the puppy boy?Tongue

Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 9:49 PM

Post #18 of 22 (2958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jc] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Yes ... you can bring a puppy to existing older dog and say ... "Old dog - please meet new puppy - and be nice ..."

But it may be more difficult to say ... "Old mature male dog - please meet new mature male dog - and be nice ..."

And you terrible person ... SmileLaugh ... go do your research ... (notice from your profie that you are in accounts) ... so already used to doing research ... Get a good book on dog behaviour & psychology(see posting above) ... and read.

Cheers Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 4, 2003, 4:56 PM

Post #19 of 22 (2936 views)
Shortcut

according to what you had emntioned in this topic, you said that we should not over-protecting or give more treats to No.2 dog. but what if the No.1 dog doesn't belongs to me even if he is in my house.

my grandparents got a terrier and you should know that old ppl don't really care about the dog. and i also cannot do anything coz , once i bring the dog out to play, they'll scold me without reasons.

so when i got my own pup, i give all my love to her and the terrier begins to feel jealous.

so it ended up in a fight.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 4, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #20 of 22 (2932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

As long as both the dogs (your grandparent's terrier & your pup) live in the same house, then the dogs need to learn how to live with each another ... as far as the dogs are concerned - they are part of one pack.

I understand the difficulties you may be facing ... but the dogs will not appreciate or distinguish the fact that they belong to different owners within the same household ... and you will still have to treat both dogs as belonging in one pack in order to avoid unecessary friction, tension, stress and fights ...

Check out the internet ... on how to manage more than one dog ...

Cheers

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2003, 2:40 AM

Post #21 of 22 (2923 views)
Shortcut

thanks a lot. i'll try my best to handle them.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

doodle
ALPHA

Feb 17, 2004, 8:45 PM

Post #22 of 22 (2844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowie] new doggy 'kacau' old doggy=a fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello kowie!

I brought doodle back to Klang with my old dog and my old dog attack doodle. Doodle can't be an alpha as he always give in to the old dog.

Now doodle's mouth is a little swollen. I have applied anti ceptic to it. Will it gets serious?
By the way, your book is still with me!

Wink

(This post was edited by doodle on Feb 17, 2004, 8:47 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my