First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

michalle
Novice

Oct 11, 2003, 3:25 AM

Post #1 of 26 (5145 views)
Shortcut
HELP! Skin Disease Can't Post

Hie everyone,

My dog (labrador) has been sick. She is shedding lotsa fur. Just a slight pinch on her coat, the fur will drop off.

She has been having this problem eversince i got her but i have been bringing her to the vet as well. It just never really recovered.

I just brought her to the govt vet yesterday and the vet just gave her 2 jabs and told me to visit him again 2 weeks later without any other medication. I am just so worried for my dog.

Is there anyone out there has good recommendation on any vet?

Thanks a lot for the help

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 7:52 AM

Post #2 of 26 (5137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michalle] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

where do u stay? e-mail address? I will recommend u some vet to u.

Regards,

ChristopherLaugh

michalle
Novice

Oct 11, 2003, 8:01 AM

Post #3 of 26 (5134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Me staying ard Ampang/Cheras area...

thanks for the reply, really appreciate it!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 12, 2003, 7:57 AM

Post #4 of 26 (5124 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...Smile ...

Just a few questions if I may?
*** How old is your dog?
*** Where does your dog spend most of its time? Indoor or outdoor? Where does it sleep?
*** Does your dog itch/scratch a lot?
*** Have your checked for ticks & fleas?
*** Are there any hot spots, red spots, pistules (pimple like bumps) on her skin?
*** Are there any patches of dark colouration on the belly/underside area of your dog?
*** Does your dog's coat smell?
*** What shampoo are you using?
*** What food are you feeding dog?

Please email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com for address of a good vet ...

Cheers ... Smile

michalle
Novice

Oct 13, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #5 of 26 (5118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chris,

My email address is michalle@hotmail.com Hopefully u can recommend some good vets to me. Thanks a lot...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 7:23 AM

Post #6 of 26 (5112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Smile ...

Have sent you my thoughts and the particulars you require ... All the best with your doggie ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 13, 2003, 7:23 AM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 13, 2003, 7:22 PM

Post #7 of 26 (5102 views)
Shortcut

kinki also have some red spot like pimples on her coat. what should i do?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2003, 9:26 PM

Post #8 of 26 (5098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Amanda ...

I know you love your dog/s very much ... Smile ... and I think I have read most of your postings and even made some replies ...

I suggest the following:

(a) Please take your doggie to a good vet and get a proper examination ... particularly, get the proper vaccinations done. And prepare a list of your questions for the vet to answer. Good vets will always have time for your questions.

(b) When forum members post suggestions - you also need to follow up on the sugggestions and update us on the changes that you have made and whether you see any improvement ... without your follow-up, we are all going round in little circles.

(b) Get rid of the tick and/or flea problem that your dog seems to have ... Speak to the vet too about this. A dog with ticks can suffer from allergies and get bacterial infections easily. You have to control this situation.

Until you sort out the above ... it's very difficult to give any suggestions ... the red spots maybe nothing more than tick bites.

And please ... get a good book on dog training and care for dogs ... there are many good ones in the local book shops ... You own a dog - and you have a responsibility to learn as much as you can about dogs, their behaviour, proper nutrition and care ... It's very hard to learn this piecemeal over this forum ... please get a good book and read ...

Here are some suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/...v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/...v=glance&s=books

Cheers Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 14, 2003, 4:23 PM

Post #9 of 26 (5088 views)
Shortcut

kinki ticks is already under control and i can only found a just few of it every time i'm doing the check up.

my father had want to bring kinki to a government vet, but do you think that a private vet should be better?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Oct 14, 2003, 4:48 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 14, 2003, 7:04 PM

Post #10 of 26 (5085 views)
Shortcut

Hello Amanda ... Smile

Sorry to be such a drag ... but you must try NO TICKS at all ... Smile ... Check often & thoroughly ... it is important to try and keep your doggie tick free ... Your doggie will feel better and be healthier ...

As for whether government vet or private vet is better ... it is very hard to say. I am sure there are good and bad vets in the government & private sector. Sometimes, finding a good vet is a question of luck ... sometimes it's getting correct recommendation ...

If just for vaccinations ... then any reasonable vet will do ... Important thing is to get the vaccinations done.

Cheers ... Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 15, 2003, 4:57 AM

Post #11 of 26 (5077 views)
Shortcut

this afternoon, after i had bath kinki , i had called up the vet recommended by my friend which is near seksyen 6. but he said that he will charge me RM100 extra, if he were to come to my house.

i feel that its too expensive..

btw, today i can only found 2 ticks!!

getting better?

Pacco de Mongrel

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 15, 2003, 6:14 AM

Post #12 of 26 (5075 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... very good ... only 2 ticks ... tomorrow it will be ZERO ... but have you thought about getting something to clear your garden of ticks? ...

Waaah ... RM100-00 extra to make house call ...

Can't you take your dog to the vet instead? ... and save the money? ... I you cannot manage alone -get a friend to help ...

Cheers ... Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 15, 2003, 11:51 PM

Post #13 of 26 (5069 views)
Shortcut

i had finally brought kinki to get her vaccine this morning.

but i wish that next time i could have a vet to come to my house.

do you have any vet to recommend to me with reasonable prices?

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Oct 15, 2003, 11:52 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 16, 2003, 10:58 PM

Post #14 of 26 (5060 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... good to hear that your dog has been vaccinated ... vets will almost always charge more to do house calls ... Cheers

kev21yng
Novice

Oct 23, 2003, 7:34 PM

Post #15 of 26 (5045 views)
Shortcut

Labradors shed twice a year. happened to mine too. took him to the vet & his advice was it could also be worms - do you deworm regularly?

mine has dry skin & dandruff problems too. got around that by adding a little Organics (the anti-dandruff with essential oils formula) to his regular (& medicated) dog shampoo.

Hope this helps.Smile

michalle
Novice

Nov 7, 2003, 6:57 AM

Post #16 of 26 (5031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kev21yng] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie...TQ, my dog has recovered already. I think is really due to the medicated shampoo. So you better take a little care on that. Dont use it too often. Use medicated shampoo once a month (was told by the vet).

Thanks for the tip anyway!Wink

yangyang
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 11:04 PM

Post #17 of 26 (4950 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surchinmy,

I have been hunting for clues on my dog's problem on this forum. And I saw a thread which you asked the following questions. They seem to be the right ones for my dog. If you can share some of your tips, I'd really appreciate it.

*** How old is your dog?

I have a labrador mixed male dog, which is 9 months old.

*** Where does your dog spend most of its time? Indoor or outdoor? Where does it sleep?

He sleeps outdoor. But spends half a day (esp. in the afternoon) with us indoors. He also plays outdoors with the neighbours' dogs.

*** Does your dog itch/scratch a lot?

YES. That's the problem. He scratches incessantly. I have a friend's female mixed dog (abt 15 months old) that is boarding with us for past 2 weeks but she rarely scratches that much.

2 months ago, I took him to a vet and had a jab plus some medication. He said it was an inbalance of minerals, esp. the lack of zinc. That seems to stop the itching problem but after 1.5 months, it seems to start again.

*** Have your checked for ticks & fleas?

Yes. No sight as of now. I tried to give him a bath whenever he's dirty instead of once a week .

*** Are there any hot spots, red spots, pistules (pimple like bumps) on her skin?

I have noticed the bumps (pistules as you called it) on his shoulders and back lately. What are they and what causes it ?

*** Are there any patches of dark colouration on the belly/underside area of your dog?

No.

*** Does your dog's coat smell?

Particularly today. I noticed that he smells despite the fact he had his bath 3 days ago.

*** What shampoo are you using?

I started using a medicated soap bar (relatively cheap) when he started to itches 2 months ago.

*** What food are you feeding dog?

He is having a mixed of canned food (Pedigree) and dry food (a brand called Excellence recently. Used to take Nutro and 1stchoice), milk at night, snacks (dog biscuits).

I read on one website that allergy to certain brand of food with soy products can also cause this problem.

I don't mind going to the vet again if it really cures but the problem seems to recur.

Thanks so much for your input. I actually learn quite a bit by scouring thru the old threads and discussion.

Yang Yang's owner ( Lip Huey)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 14, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #18 of 26 (4944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yangyang] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Appreciate the information you provided ... but must say that diagnosis is still besdone by a competant vet who has opportunity to examine the dog and run the relevant tests ...

Pistules are localised infections spots ... and like the "bad smell", itching & scratching they are indications that something is wrong ... Allergies are often accompanied by dark colouration of skin (but this is also only indicative and not conclusive).

If you are able to rule out ticks, lice & allergy from food, that still leaves a whole range of possible causes ... from the possibility of some form of nutritional imbalance, bacterial or fungal infection to parasitic infection (eg:mange) ...

To do any serious and accurate diagnosis ... you will need the assistance of a good vet.

Will suggest the following:

(A) Find a good vet

The first thing to do is find a good vet ... who will give your dog a proper examination and run the appropriate tests to determine the possible causes of his skin condition. This is most important. If you have any query then you can email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com

(B) Nutrition

Yes, some grains and beans can cause allergies, but not all dogs react the same way. Some dogs are okay with some or certain grains and some dogs aren't ...

I'd take your dog off what you are feeding now and go back to (i) a good brand of kibble ... you mentioned Nut*o ... that brand is quite good ...; and if possible (ii) start your dog on freshly prepared foods ... (check the relevant threads) ...

Whatever may be ailing your dog, good nutrition will imporve your dog's immunity system and that is always a plus factor. Also consider some form of coat supplement.

(C) Restrict access to neighbourhood dogs

Until you know what is causing your dog's condition ... it may be prudent to restrict your dog's access to other dogs ... First, you don't want your dog to be catching anything and you also don't wish your dog to pass anything to other dogs ...

(D) Washing

I'd definitely use a good shampoo ... Cheap or bad shampoos cause more problems than they solve ... But really, until the cause of the skin condition is determined ... it's hard trying to recommend a shampoo ... For the time being perhaps you can consider using a good general shampoo like eti-derm ...

Please get your dog to a good vet ... You need to diagnose the cause of the problem as quickly as you can ... and ONLY then can proper treatment begin. Sometimes treating coat/skin condition is a question of elimination ...

Cheers

yangyang
Novice

Jan 14, 2004, 7:57 PM

Post #19 of 26 (4936 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

Since I'm finishing the current bag of dog food, I'm trying to give him more natural & freshly cooked food for the time being. And slowly introduce the commercial dog food. At least that helps me to determine if food is the allergen.

As for shampoos, is Eti-Derm a brand ? Some website mentions that aloe vera is good for dog's skin. I feel so inclined to just pluck a few from my garden and use it on him !

I'll check out more abt the vet with you later.

Thanks a lot !

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 2:01 AM

Post #20 of 26 (4932 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

The reason of using a good brand of shampoo is mutifold ... Good brands (a) are less likely to contain ingredients that are themselves allergens, (b) are more likely to be pH balanced for dogs, and thus better for their coat & skin ... and (c) have the correct ingredients to give the effect advertised, such as reduce itching, combat yeast or fungus etc ...

Natural aloe vera is a mild antiseptic ... so if your dog has minor burns, cuts or wounds, then applying aloe vera will help reduce trauma and risk of infection and promote healing ... and although aloe vera can provide temporary soothing relief ... it is unlikely to get rid of allergies, mange or other forms of parasitic infectgion ...

Cheers Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 2:01 AM

Post #21 of 26 (4932 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

The reason of using a good brand of shampoo is mutifold ... Good brands (a) are less likely to contain ingredients that are themselves allergens, (b) are more likely to be pH balanced for dogs, and thus better for their coat & skin ... and (c) have the correct ingredients to give the effect advertised, such as reduce itching, combat yeast or fungus etc ...

Natural aloe vera is a mild antiseptic ... so if your dog has minor burns, cuts or wounds, then applying aloe vera will help reduce trauma and risk of infection and promote healing ... and although aloe vera can provide temporary soothing relief ... it is unlikely to get rid of allergies, mange or other forms of parasitic infectgion ...

Cheers Smile

yjess
Novice

Jan 30, 2004, 12:04 AM

Post #22 of 26 (4889 views)
Shortcut

Hi

I have a silky terrier, and I am trying to look for a suitable shampoo for him. He has been having this skin disease since puppy, therefore I have been using medicated shampoo to stop the skin disease. The doctor told me that this will happen when there is a change of weather.

But now I find that the fur is a bit dry due to the frequent used of medicated shampoo. I was trying to switch to another shampoo but not sure which to get for him. Anyone have a suggestion?

cheers.....Sly

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2004, 4:29 AM

Post #23 of 26 (4886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yjess] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

I find Etiderm to be a good mild shampoo with reasonable anti-itch properties ...

But will suggest that you find out from your vet what is the skin problem afflicting your dog and how it can be treated ... continual use of strong medicated shampoo for a long period - is not that good for dogs ...

By the way - what is the name/brand of medicated shampoo you are using?

Cheers Smile

yjess
Novice

Jan 31, 2004, 12:12 AM

Post #24 of 26 (4876 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the suggestion. He is now using Troy medicated shampoo. I stop using the vet prescribe medicated shampoo as it is too strong and sometimes makes his fur dry. Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 1, 2004, 11:46 PM

Post #25 of 26 (4866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yjess] HELP! Skin Disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

From our experience ... there is very often a direct relationship between the price of shampoo and its "quality" ... Good quality shampoo costs a little more ... Cheap shampoos can be harsh and drying ... try and find one that is pH balanced for dogs and is not scented ...

Oh ... I am not saying that medicated shampoos are bad ... just that medicated shampoos ought not to be used indiscriminately ... and to keep in mind that medicated shampoos may not by themselves cure or resolve skin conditions (but are useful as an adjunct or supplementary treatment) ... If your dog's skin condition persists - do not hesitate to see the vet or if necessary get a second opinion from another vet ...

Cheers ...Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my