Running out from the house!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 9, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #1 of 45 (3652 views)
Shortcut
Running out from the house!! Can't Post

Everytime we open the front gate kinki will tend to run away. and i have to walk all the way to catch her back. after i have scold and smack her backside , she will also ignored it.

today she ran out again and when i'm trying to catch her back, i "PK". dropped down and both of my knee bleeding. so kesian. after that i tied her up and scold her.

did anyone face this problem before? teach me how to teach kinki.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

torochan

Oct 9, 2003, 11:59 PM

Post #2 of 45 (3649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

i do faced the same problem b4 with my chow chow.normally chow is quite slow in motion.it was really shock me when he can run tht fast when my maid accidently open the front gate.somemore,he run even faster n ingore me when i call him back.Mad

i really punished him seriously by locking him in the cage n of course, no evening walk for 4 days.he really kena 'khow khow' for his mistake.

don't know either he learn his lesson.but i don't dare to try to prove tht the punishment is work.CrazyCrazy

so only one advise to u, leash her up whenever u want to open the gate.

(This post was edited by torochan on Oct 10, 2003, 12:01 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 4:51 AM

Post #3 of 45 (3638 views)
Shortcut

hello,Smile

Does Kinki know the command stay? Make sure she knows Sit & Stay well before beginning this.

leash Kinki and have treats handy. then sit him in front of the gate (assume u have auto gate) ...
sit Kinki and give stay command ...then open the gate and watch what she does ...

As long as he maintains stay ... you are already half way to training him not to go out the gate with out command. Then release Kinki from stay and give the treat.

Back to sit & stay and repeat a couple of times all in front of gate..at the beginning with the closed..
then open gate and see if he can maintain his sit and stay.If she can ... release and praise/treat and return back to sit/stay again ...
... and for this exercise ... instead of usual leash ... use a longer trailing rope ...

the second part of training will be;you release her from stay ...
watch what she does ...if she goes out ... do recall ...
if she responds ... then major priase and jackpot!!! ...

jackpot means...extra special treat. Smile

btw, i was taught this method by none other than sifu surchinmySmile for one of my dogs..

but i nvr got to use it though...coz strangely...the day right after i asked him for training help...he just stopped running out...don't know why. Maybe it was coz(not sure abt this,k? i thought of it based on what a dog thinks...not proven or anything) When he ran out, i left the gate open for a while(to give him a chance to come back)after abt 2-3 mins i closed it. Then i played with my other dogs..to sort of make him jealous..to make him think " oh..i'm all alone outside here sniffing while my friends and mom are having fun inside..no fun here. Better to go back home and play" . Well, it did work and he came back almost instantly. Of course my voice was kinda loud and happy. So that he could hear how much fun we were having inside. When he got back, just let him join in the fun.. SmileSmileSmile and praise him loads.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

paulynn
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2003, 4:55 AM

Post #4 of 45 (3636 views)
Shortcut

Hie,

I used to face the same problem too when i first adopted Nash my first dog.But you see,he only runs when he sees an animal passes by.So what i did for the first 3 months when he was with us was it's either i tie him up first or firmly say NO,GO INSIDE.SIT.STAY and of course first few times unsuccessful but eventually he understood my command.Now it's tiem for my other dog Josie to practise.She's slightly harder to teach cos she's still small and very very active :)

Godo luck anyway!

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 5:41 AM

Post #5 of 45 (3633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

wow....another sifu here ah!! hehehe....good work good work..... too bad i don't have other dogs or i could make my billy boy go really jealous....ahhahha.......

but for now, i take him out for walks and he doesn't want to go out that often now.....he used to run out the gate almost every time we open the gate....Crazy

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 6:44 AM

Post #6 of 45 (3631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

sifu? where Tongue?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Oct 10, 2003, 7:03 PM

Post #7 of 45 (3624 views)
Shortcut

Hi RealityDreamer,

Wow.. you sound so experienced eventhought you have not tried it!!

was just wondering though, that the reason to why dogs like to run out, could it be because they never get a chance to run and probably is always caged or tied up that when there is a slightest chance, they would just dash?

I have a problem with Salsa. Not running out of the house though. WHen I walk her, she just refuses to walk, or wishes to go home. But when i am not around, she will wander off outside on her own! Please advise. I really cannot catch what she is trying to do.
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 7:27 PM

Post #8 of 45 (3623 views)
Shortcut

hahaha....the sifu already replied me liao....ahhahah......not only i'm saying you're sifu lah.....see gwinn also asking you for advice leh.......TongueTongue

Elly
ALPHA

Oct 10, 2003, 8:41 PM

Post #9 of 45 (3619 views)
Shortcut

ohhh...poor thing...how's your knee now?Unsure

My Sasha loves to go out also...she just love to dig rubbish outside the gate! But if you shout at the fella like:" Sasha!!! Get your ass back NOWWWW!!!" She will run back to the house as she scared later kena spank!...kekekkekekee...LaughLaughLaugh

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 9:16 PM

Post #10 of 45 (3615 views)
Shortcut

i think i'll try to bring kinki out for walk more often. but actually i'm afraid of those ticks out there because kinki like to walk on grass.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 10, 2003, 9:18 PM

Post #11 of 45 (3614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

kinki like to play with stray dogs out there. and she always tends to go to my neighbour house to play with their dogs. she seems to be very playful and friendly.

Pacco de Mongrel

robros
K9 Maniac

Oct 11, 2003, 1:34 AM

Post #12 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Hi amanda!

I have 2 rottweilers and I disciplined them from the very start. Can you imagine 2 big out of control rottweilers running loose. Will give people heart attack-lah. So must be very disciplined or else people complain!Crazy

Anyway, it takes time and patience. Open the gate and everytime the dog crosses the gate line, be firm & reprimand him. Be sure he knows what he's NOT suppose to do.Mad

When he heed your command NOT to go outside, reward him with treats. It will be good if you can take your dog out on a leash regularly.Smile

I have taught my dogs that only when they are on the leash, they are allowed to go out. Dogs are very intelligent. Reward your dog when he does things right and reprimand or ignore him when he does not. They will learn fast if the incentive is good enough. After that, you do not need to bribe them anymore as they are already obedient. BE generous with your praise when your furkid is good.Sly

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 4:22 AM

Post #13 of 45 (3600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they like to run free? like really really free...Coz most working dogs were bred for their working traits as well as stamina...

Imagine, bigger gundogs like Labs and Pointers were bred to search fields for miles and miles. Then now," confined" to a large garden.

hmm...I'm not sure abt that. There was a thread on a GR who refused to walk though. Hv u checked that out?

Maybe encourage her with treats?

Is she afraid of the leash?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 4:25 AM

Post #14 of 45 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn,kesuke] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I learn from the best!~Wink

Fr Surchinmy....now he's the real sifuSmile

and this forumSmileCool
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Oct 11, 2003, 4:59 AM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 4:52 AM

Post #15 of 45 (3598 views)
Shortcut

no, i don't think she is afraid of leash. but she just tends to run out when we open the front gate.

Pacco de Mongrel

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 5:38 AM

Post #16 of 45 (3595 views)
Shortcut

oh yeah amanda, how's your knee? hope it's not that painful now...Unsure

yeah...those blasted dirty ticks!!! MadMad just can't seem to get rid of them one and for all. why are they in this world in the first place? life would be so much more easier without them...no?? Laugh

well..to get rid of ticks..you already have another thread on that right? garlic + frontine + checking dog's body + spraying garden...guess that's what we can do.. try what nathalie suggest..check the dog's body after 15-30 minutes of walking them..

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #17 of 45 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elly] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hahahahah....you actually shout that way to sasha??? i'll be laughing like mad if i'm your neighbor....ehehehehe......LaughTongue

but if your sasha is scared of getting spank, why does she still run out?! garbage sounds too tempting...ahhahah.....TongueLaugh

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 11, 2003, 5:43 AM

Post #18 of 45 (3593 views)
Shortcut

of course....surchinmy is a well-known sifu here.....and we are all learning from one another...Smile

that thread on a GR refuse to walk is mine lah.....ahhaha.....Tongue

paulynn
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 6:20 AM

Post #19 of 45 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Your dog is really friendly.Mine isn't.He growls and barks at other dogs that he doesn't like.He can go well with some dogs but not all.It's good to have a friendly and playful dog than to have a dog who doesn't even wag its tail. :) cool
Pau-Lynn

Kowpa

Oct 11, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #20 of 45 (3587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

join the ob class or articipate with puppy .com.my dog's event more

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Oct 11, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #21 of 45 (3584 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chloe, (that's your name right?Tongue)

Thanks for the tip! Smile but... but... Salsa is a Lhasa Apso, er... I am not sure if she is under the utility group or toy group. I think she is now categorised in the toy group, but her ancestors are known to be guard dogs of temples in tibet. (funny how such a small sized dog can be a guard dog to a temple some more!! Crazyhahah!)

Both my GR and Bullmastiff run out at any instance, but I am trying to work towards training my GR by walking him more often and doing the same as you have advised above. WIsh me luck!

But my problem is with Salsa... Frown Please advise.
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

Elly
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 9:48 PM

Post #22 of 45 (3583 views)
Shortcut

ah...kekekekekekekkeek...Laugh

My neighbour get used to it liau..so they dont bother!~Cool

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 12, 2003, 12:39 AM

Post #23 of 45 (3580 views)
Shortcut

why need to wait after 15 minutes?

Pacco de Mongrel

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 12, 2003, 8:05 AM

Post #24 of 45 (3576 views)
Shortcut

according to nathalie, only after 15-30 minutes will you see the tick appear... you must ask her for her 'theory' on that....heeh.....Tongue

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 13, 2003, 12:12 AM

Post #25 of 45 (3569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Running out from the house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

u said ,"Not running out of the house though. WHen I walk her, she just refuses to walk, or wishes to go home. But when i am not around, she will wander off outside on her own! Please advise. I really cannot catch what she is trying to do. "

so...i guess the theory on dogs not getting enough space does not apply to her.

I think guard dog as in watch dogs...maybe they'd bite the intruders "ahem" when they come in...u know..they can jump and grab "there". Tongue

I'm not sure abt dogs refusing to walk though..no experience/not much knowledge..i'm usually the opposite....can't get the dogs to stop walking.

Anyway, have u checked out kesuke's thread? on her GR who refuses to walk? Is it something similar? Crazy

Will try to think something.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my