Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Behavior Changes in Puppy

brandyg
Novice

Oct 6, 2003, 6:46 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Behavior Changes in Puppy Can't Post

My 4 month old lab got his last set of shots and rabies vaccine on Tuesday. Since Wednesday, his behavior has changed extremely. When we are in the house watching TV, he is running in circles, jumping on and off of the furniture, and is biting at us when we try to play with him. He got into some mud on Friday and was snapping and biting at me when I tried to pull him out of it. My husband and I literally had to hold him down to put his collar on him after his bath that night. When we take him for his walk, one minute he is running, dragging us along, the next he doesn't even want to move. Then, this morning, he eliminated in the dining room. He still has accidents and pees in the house occasionally, but he hasn't eliminated in the house in almost two months. There was also a little bit of blood in his stool, as well. I noticed last night that when he is eating, he isn't always chewing his food. He will chew some, and then he will just swallow some of it whole.

Could any of this be related to his shots and rabies vaccine? Please help. Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brandyg] Behavior Changes in Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

-------------------------------------------------------
You posted: " ... Could any of this be related to his shots and rabies vaccine? Please help ..."

Possible but not likely.

Your posting does however reveal several separate issues ...

(a) Running & playing:

Pups, especially when they get to about 12 weeks get really active and need a lot of attention. If you ignore the pup, then the pup will try its best to get your attention.

(b) Mouthing:

At about 12 weeks, pups also start changing dentition ... Please get your pup chewing toys. During this stage, some dogs can go off their food a little ...

(c) Swallowing food whole:

Hard to comment on this. Depends on the kind of food you are giving him.

Your posting raises 2 slightly more serious issues:

(A) ISSUE OF TRAINING:

You really need to start training your pup. You need to understand about pups, mouthing & nipping and how to sort out that out.

It's time to invest in a good training manual and started basic training with your dog.

Even in play - you should start training the pup, and control the mouthing ... You should train your dog to distinguish between mouthing (without pressure) and nipping (where you can feel pressure of dog's teeth) ... and train your dog that nipping is NOT ALLOWED.

While you get the training manual ... you can try this ...

Everytime your dog nips you ... say NO in a low stern tone just like a growl (use a long NOOOOOOO) ... and restrain dog by its collar (if during the walk - restrain by shortening the leash) ... do not release until dog relaxes (calms down) ... but that's it ... nothing else ...

No screaming, no shouting and do not hit the dog, do not choke the dog ... just restrain firmly until the dog relaxes ... Then release the dog - If the dog remains calm - then you praise the dog ... and proceed with play or walk.

For now, keep everything is simple and direct ... when dog misbehaves or nips ... restrain firmly and growl NOOOOOO and ... when dog relaxes and calms down ... release ... if dog remains calm - then praise ...

The idea is to show the dog that every time he nips - all activity and fun stops ...

Remember - do not use the dog's name to call dog to you for reprimand ... or your dog might just stop respond to his name or go to you when called ...

(B) BLOOD IN STOOLS

It's impossible over this forum to give assistance.

Blood in stools can be caused by a variety of reasons from an injury to the digestive system to an infection, bacterial or parasitic.

Please take dog to vet. Take a stool sample to vet for examination.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 6, 2003, 8:07 AM)

brandyg
Novice

Oct 6, 2003, 11:28 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your post.

We have been working on his training a lot for the past month. But I did go on vacation, so his routine was disrupted briefly. We will continue working on that. At least we are doing it correctly - everything you posted is what we are working on. Except for the noooo part and holding the collar until he calms. We'll try that as well.

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow to test his stool.

He's so funny sometimes. As soon as I posted this, he calmed down and has been being very gentle and playful today. Irony??

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Smile ... ah yes ... puppies can be perverse ... but am very glad to hear that he is behaving better and acting strong and healthy ... All the best with the visit to the vet ... trust all will be well ...

Take care ... Cheers Smile

brandyg
Novice

Oct 9, 2003, 3:28 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Behavior Changes in Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything turned out fine. Apparently it was some new treats we were giving him that had marrow and bacon in them. It was actually those treats that were causing his stool to have some red in them, not blood. What a relief! He has several chew toys, but for some reason he still thinks that we are one of them. Oh well, eventually he will grow out of it. As long as he is healthy and happy, we are happy.

Thanks!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 9, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1005 views)
Shortcut

Good to hear ... that all is well Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my