First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HLYap
Dog Kichi

Sep 27, 2003, 6:01 AM

Post #1 of 34 (4098 views)
Shortcut
Transportation of Dogs in Cars Can't Post

Hi all,

There were previously some concerns, expressed by some members in the PD Doggy Dream Holiday thread, about whether dogs may be transported around in cars.

I am currently doing some research in the course of work and came across a piece of legislation (Malaysian) known as the Road Transport Rules (Compilation of 44 Rules), which were made by the Minister of Transport in exercise of the powers conferred by Sections 63 and 73 of the Road Traffic Ordinance, 1958, and which came into force on 01 July 1959. Those who are able to obtain sight of a copy of the said Rules should refer to Rule 34 therein in particular.

Anyhow, in brief, generally:

1. No animals shall be led or driven on any public road or street between the hours of 6:45pm and 6:45am unless such animals are in the charge of at least one adult person carrying a light visible within a reasonable distance both in the direction of which such animals are being led or driven and in the reverse direction. (Prohibition of Animals on Public Roads - Rule 23)

2. No person shall lead, ride or drive (the word 'drive' here does not mean just saying 'mush', but involves driving, dragging, pushing or propelling any vehicle) any animal of whatsoever kind on a public road in such manner as not to have proper control over the same or in such a manner as to cause danger or obstruction to traffic. (Control of Animals - Rule 24)

3. Whenever animals are being led on a public road they shall be securely tied by the head and may be so secured to each other in batches of not more than 3. (Animals to be Secured - Rule 29)

4. Whenever animals are being led on a public road a competent person shall be in charge of each batch which he shall control with a chain or rope or other sufficient lead. (Animals, How to be Secured - Rule 30)

HOWEVER, Rule 34 specifically states, inter alia, that Rules 23, 24, 29 and 30 as mentioned hereinabove shall NOT APPLY to DOGS. Insofar as I have been able to ascertain the same, this exemption has yet to be repealed, deleted or amended by the Ministry of Transport or any subsequent piece of legislation, and should therefore be current.

So the next time any individual:
(1) stops you when you have your dog(s) in the car with you and tells you that you are doing something wrong by transporting said dog(s) around as passenger(s) in your vehicle; or
(2) tells you, when you are walking your unleashed dog, that your dog should be on a leash;
tell the individual in question (with respect, but of course) that the Minister of Transport said you could do so. Smile

Notwithstanding paragraph (2) hereinabove however, every responsible dog owner should, where possible, have his/her dog on a leash when out in public - both for the safety of the dog itself, as well as for the safety of the general public.

Regards,
YHL

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #2 of 34 (4093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HLYap] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

this is really useful :o

somehow some ppl would think they could manipulate us however they like as we dunno anything about the rules.

thanks for sharing :)

kohzila

Sep 27, 2003, 9:35 AM

Post #3 of 34 (4090 views)
Shortcut

This is really helpful and TQVM pal..btw, I'm wondering whether r there any rules stated pets are not allow to enter restauran?

serene_kwlim
K9 Maniac

Sep 27, 2003, 10:48 AM

Post #4 of 34 (4086 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Wowo.. wut a useful info... thanks for clearing my doubts!! also thanks for sharing!! i'm sure it's very helpful for all of us here!!Smile

regards,
Serene Lim
My furkids: Jamie & Max.

Jamie's WebSite
GSD Owner? Pls add in!

Jamie's Dogster
Max's Dogster

JolinG
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 2:00 PM

Post #5 of 34 (4083 views)
Shortcut

yea how bout public eating places?
did the rules n legislation prohibit animals to be in restaurants n shopping complexes?

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Sep 28, 2003, 3:52 AM

Post #6 of 34 (4076 views)
Shortcut

Hey Hui Lu,

thanks for providing this useful informations Wink now we know what to do... hehehehe !

cheers,
minglmy

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 6:08 AM

Post #7 of 34 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Hey, thanks for the info. That is really something we need to know.Smile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

boon
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 9:07 AM

Post #8 of 34 (4063 views)
Shortcut

Thanz

hahah must print out and keep it handy somewhere in my car. Getting old these days...scared i may not be able to tell all............BlushBlushBlush

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

HLYap
Dog Kichi

Sep 29, 2003, 9:09 PM

Post #9 of 34 (4055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohzila] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All,

Glad u guys found the info useful. Smile

In reply to whether dogs are permitted in restaurants and shopping complexes, off the top of my head, I'd say that you'd have limited to no legal rights there - coz they are considered private property, mah (i.e. the building and the land it's sitting on belongs to a particular registered owner). Therefore, it'd be up to the landowner to set his/her/its specific rules for visitors/licencees to enter into and use/occupy the premises. I must confess here that I haven't looked into any statutes to verify the aforesaid position.. Don't have time to do more research lah!! Tongue But I do verily believe that the aforesaid should be correct.

Actually, if I may qualify my first message, the dogs loose in park bit, strictly speaking, isn't quite accurate either, since the park is likely designated as owned by some statutory or other governmental body. The rules for use of the park may thus well apply to any users of the same.

But, you will note, quite a few places (restaurants and shopping complexes) do not have the 'no dogs' allowed sign, since not many Malaysians are in the habit of taking their dogs out to 'kai-kai'. In such an event, I suggest that you try your luck!! But if asked to remove your pooch from the premises, then its advisable that you do so graciously, lah.. I would suggest here that if you r planning a trip out to those places that your dogs be carried around in dog bags, in order to lessen the likelihood of anyone objecting - that way the pooches won't be walking around on the ground, thereby eliminating the odds of it fouling any area or someone disturbing/harrassing it. Of course, the smaller the pooch is, the less the chance of any objections being raised. Cute, mah, n less people r afraid of small dogs!! Wink

As for restaurants, I find that most Chinese restaurants do not object to my Sascha (MinPin - small enough!). She's always in her carry bag, n then sits in the bag, on a chair at the table. Thing is, she's really quiet and well behaved - no peeing, pooping or climbing on the table or barking. Her current record, for sitting quietly, is about 5 hours. Smile So, I generally get away with her being there. Of course, it also helps if you know the owners of the restaurants and/or check with them beforehand - that's the polite thing to do, methinks. But I can tell you for a fact that the American Chilli's branch in MidValley, Jiak Guan restaurant on Tengkat Tong Shin, and Frangipani's on Changkat Bukit Bintang, do not welcome dogs. Tongue Yes, yes, I tried taking Sascha there!

Anyhow, hope this answers your collective questions. G'luck!!

Regards,
YHL

Kowpa

Sep 29, 2003, 9:28 PM

Post #10 of 34 (4053 views)
Shortcut

I'd say that you'd have limited to no legal rights there - coz they are considered private property, mah (i.e. the building and the land it's sitting on belongs to a particular registered owner). So sorry is under the crown if its yours u don't have to pay quit rent

HLYap
Dog Kichi

Sep 29, 2003, 10:52 PM

Post #11 of 34 (4047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Kowpa,

Eh? Mucho apologies, but I don't quite get what you said. Could you perhaps explain what you mean a little more? Smile

TQ!!

Regards,
YHL

kohzila

Oct 1, 2003, 6:37 AM

Post #12 of 34 (4033 views)
Shortcut

thanks pal...if thats the case I think I can't bring Max kai kai already..simply because he is way too siow and can't even seem to be able to sit downquietly for a minute CrazyCrazy..

HLYap
Dog Kichi

Oct 1, 2003, 10:12 PM

Post #13 of 34 (4024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohzila] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Kohzila,

The more often you take him out the more used to it he'll be, mah.. N he'll likely settle down n be really blase after that!! Think how cool it'd be to have Max sitting next to you, looking blase, with sunglasses on!! LOL!! Smile

But I get what u mean lah.. It's easier to handle smaller dogs when out - can just pick them up if they misbehave! Tongue

Regards,
YHL

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2003, 10:27 PM

Post #14 of 34 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Hi HLYap,

Thanks for your effort. Very useful info indeed. If I had read the rules correctly, our dogs have to be leased at all times on public roads, am I right? But at the end of your message, you said that the rules allow us to walk our dogs unleashed. Have I misunderstood any part of your message?

How about muzzles? I remember reading somewhere that certain dogs are technically required to be muzzled if out in public. Would you happen to know anything about that?

Thks and Rgds. Smile!

JolinG
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

Post #15 of 34 (4015 views)
Shortcut

hey thanks again for that piece of info..

so private property.like restaurants..if the management says yes..we allow dogs..so its alrright to bring them?
and it has nothing to do with muslim customers and halal food serve there rite?....

HLYap
Dog Kichi

Oct 2, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #16 of 34 (4011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Snoopy,

The first paragraphs of my initial mail set forth the relevant provisions (ie. Rules 23, 24, 29 and 30) in the Rules insofar as we are concerned, so that they may be viewed by all. The mail then goes on to say that Rule 34 however states very clearly that the said provisions do NOT apply to dogs - dogs are thus exempted from application of the said provisions. There is no contradiction, so dun worry! Tongue

Re muzzles, nope. Sorry. Don't know anything about that! Certainly won't need to do so for Sascha as I don't think that there are any muzzles small enuf to fit her. The vet used a shoelace to 'muzzle' her once - quite ingenious, really. I was highly amused! (heh! heh!) Smile

Dear JolinG,

Errm, I must say here that I have not done any further research on this matter, but I should think that if the restauranteur says it's ok for your pooch to be there, then it should be ok. But by n large, dog owners should try to be sensitive lah, n not take their pooches to places where they know there'll be staunch Muslims dining too.

Hope that the above addresses, to some degree anyhow, your respective questions!! Smile Otherwise, solly!! Oh, n BTW, I hereby disclaim and deny any and all liability whatsoever (including but not limited to all costs, losses, expenses and damages whatsoever) for any and all acts, deeds and things committed, done or omitted to be done by any person(s) in reliance on or pursuant anything said by me in this thread or otherwise howsoever arising.. Wink

Yes, I kiasee, or in this case, kia'sue'.. (ya, ya, bad pun.. hehe)!! Tongue

Regards,
YHL

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2003, 10:14 PM

Post #17 of 34 (4008 views)
Shortcut

I see. My mistake. Blush.

Thanks again.

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #18 of 34 (4003 views)
Shortcut

hey nice beagle you have there Smile

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2003, 4:00 PM

Post #19 of 34 (3997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Smile.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 5, 2003, 2:36 AM

Post #20 of 34 (3988 views)
Shortcut

hi ivan,

wah finally see a few postings by u !

cheers,
minglmy

kohzila

Oct 5, 2003, 8:03 AM

Post #21 of 34 (3985 views)
Shortcut

thanks pal... In fact I'm trying now to bring him out jalan jalan..but the minute he see people, car, cat....he will start barking none stop..the worst part is..he refuse to stop eventhough I've shouted at him and command him to behave..really "beh tahan".

xyne
Doggyman

Dec 5, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #22 of 34 (3876 views)
Shortcut

tx so much for the info...

i just wonder... when the dogs are in the car.. are they legally required to be placed anywhere in the car??

It's just like us humans.. with seat belts... n what about the dogs?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 8, 2003, 5:43 AM

Post #23 of 34 (3863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

what car do you use to transport your GR?

he seems to big to be in a proton.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

HLYap
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2003, 10:52 PM

Post #24 of 34 (3855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Transportation of Dogs in Cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Not as far as I know. But one would imagine that they should be relatively well behaved / positioned so as not interfere with the driver's concentration. If your dog's large enough, you could maybe buckle him in place using the appropriate seat belt? There are some websites (foreign) which do actually sell doggy seat belts / travel seats - safer for both humans and dog.

But I must confess that my own dog (a miniature pinscher - a little too small and thus hard to restrain when in a car, other than putting her in a hard shell travelling case all the time) prefers to walk around the back seat looking at people n other vehicles outside the windows. When tired of doing that, she generally settles into n snoozes in her doggy carry bag which I place on the seat floor behind my driver's seat. Tongue

Regards,
YHL

xyne
Doggyman

Dec 9, 2003, 11:05 PM

Post #25 of 34 (3854 views)
Shortcut

ya... i thought of the seat belts for my big dogs.. but i have 2 big ones and a small dog... and they cant stay put...

always wanting to lookout of the car and drool all over the window...CrazyCrazy so kepoh-chi

I've seen other dogs in cars tat r not in a travel case or seat belt too....
just wondering if there's a legal way for them to travel in the vehicle....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my