Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!!

deepset30
New User

Mar 21, 2003, 5:44 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1660 views)
Shortcut
How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! Can't Post

Hello,

My 12 week old pug Timmy is very much out of hand. He is constantly nipping, pooping and peeing in the house, eating everything he can find outside, and eating his poopCrazy. The problem seems to be, is that when we reprimand him, he jumps around nipping the air, enjoying our yelling. I think he enjoys being naughty! This i could understand if he was not getting enough attention. Yes, I do work all day, but he has over an hour with me in the morning, 45 minutes at lunch, then my undivied attention at night. He is FAR from neglected. I really need some tips on how to reprimand him. Right now I am using firm "no's" that seem to have no effect. I was possibly considering using a water spray bottle on him when he nips at my face and starts to go to the bathroom in the house (which he KNOWS is wrong, but does anyways!Shocked)

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'm at my wit's end. I LOVE this little guy, but he is driving me CRAZYPirate!!

Beth

KawChai
Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2003, 10:39 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [deepset30] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Deepset,

First of all congrats on having Timmy. Yes, I understand what exactly you are saying.. don't worry *hugs*. Pugs are like that when they are young...they are hyper active,,, and very very naughty.

My pug, Yoda is now almost 8 months old...still naughty but it has been better compared to when i first bring him home when he is 8 weeks old...he really drive me crazy.......he is just exactly like what u mention.....but now everything is okay already...he is more & more good boy as day pass by....... Blush

so...don't worry so much....if u wanna know anything about pugs...feel free to post the questions here...lotsa pugs lovers here..

but pug has sensitive skin..must take care

PugLuver
Novice

Oct 2, 2003, 6:48 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [deepset30] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also have a new Pug. He is 16 weeks ols and I got him last monday. I am having a hard time with his potty training (is that what you call it for a dog? LOL). I need lots of info on pugs lol. He goes ok outside sometimes. I have a designated place for him to poop/pee however if there is any distraction he only wants to play and my neighbor is having work done to her house so off and on for the last week has been hell during the day getting to go pee/poop while the workers are there. I am getting so frustrated. I can take him outside and he goes poop/pee and then 1/2 hr. later I can sometimes find a poop/pee on the floor Unsureafter he just did it outside. UGH!!! Is this normal or did I get a little devil? LOL Also he is also very hyper... help!!

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Oct 2, 2003, 6:07 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PugLuver] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also have a new Pug. He is 16 weeks ols and I got him last monday. I am having a hard time with his potty training (is that what you call it for a dog? LOL). I need lots of info on pugs lol. He goes ok outside sometimes. I have a designated place for him to poop/pee however if there is any distraction he only wants to play and my neighbor is having work done to her house so off and on for the last week has been hell during the day getting to go pee/poop while the workers are there. I am getting so frustrated. I can take him outside and he goes poop/pee and then 1/2 hr. later I can sometimes find a poop/pee on the floor Unsureafter he just did it outside. UGH!!! Is this normal or did I get a little devil? LOL Also he is also very hyper... help!!

SmileHi there pug lovers,

What KawChai said about pugs puppy are true. They are very naughty. Training takes time and lots of it too. I too have a 4mths pug and very naughty but it's such a joy to see him running mentally in and out of the house, jumping and sometimes nipping at me too. Dome's always testing his barriers with us, seeing how far can he go with his nakal-ness. Anyway, housetraining takes time. When they're young, they pee & poo more. You can go and get a book on this Pug breed where they usually sell at any pet store. Read it up and you'll understand why they pee & poo so much. They're still babies mah...don't worry...all this will be ok once they're older. Our Dome is very well trained now. When he's in the house, he does it on the paper or in the toilet. When we're outside with him, I always ask him to do it before going into the house. All this are the rewards of lots of training(lots of treats tooSly) and patience. Still naughty but fun!

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [deepset30, PugLuver] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Please check the following threads:

On HouseTraining a pup:

http://www.puppy.com.my/...llapsed;guest=694485

On crating or confining a pup while owner is at work:

On nipping & mouthing:

General Information:

You dog is still a puppy ... and will behave like one ... at 3 to 4 months a pup will need to eliminate between 5 to 10 times a day (depending on individual pup & breed). Their urinary & digestive systems are still developing and pups do not have capacity to hold. No training is going to change this. The situation improves from 4 to 5 months on.

What you do need to get is a good training manual that teaches you (a) the characteristics of a pup, (b) the charateristics of your pup's breed, (b) basic training methods (for housetraining, teaching sit, stay and etc) ...

Do get a training manual: A good training manual is invaluable ... It will teach you much and you will start to feel more effective & motivated ... It will teach you how to communicate with & understand your dog ...

Working owner: For your situation particularly ... you need to consider the many and varied ways of handling/keeping safe your pup whilst you are at work. Confinement per se is not bad, provided it is done correctly with an understanding of dog nature (and handled from a dog's perspective) ... Working owners do face a different & particular set of demands and issues - including issues of housetraining and seperation anxiety ... which you ought to be aware of ... Smile ...

Cheers ... and all the best with your babie ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 2, 2003, 6:57 PM)

PugLuver
Novice

Oct 3, 2003, 4:22 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hooch is really a great little guy. He is already fetching his little bunny and knows to drop it for me so I can throw it again. I have seen other threads about using paper and the toilet but what exactly are you meaning by toilet? I am assuming it is not the actual toilet humans use so I am confused by "using the paper or toilet" Could you explain this:) He has yet to pee/poop in his crate so I am assuming he has some control already. I am a stay at home mom so he has my attention but I still keep him baby gated in the kitchen until he can be trusted on my carpet. Thank You for the suggestion you all have made...........

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Oct 3, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PugLuver] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi! Hooch's so cute! I'm sure you were charmed by his innocent look also.

Toilet means human toilet/washroom. Since Dome has been trained to do it on the newspaper downstairs kitchen, I put one upstairs toilet. He sleeps upstairs outside our bedroom door. I took Dome into the toilet and told him shii-shii. He peed lah. It took me about 2-3 weeks to trained him. He pees in the middle of the night and I want him to do it in the toilet. Training period time, he peed on the bathroom rug. At that time, I had to wash rugs everydayUnsure. Now, if he cannot tahan or wait for me to take him outside, he goes to the toilet to do his thing.

I have tried following SK's(surchinmy) advises and it does workWink! My favourite is the 're-call'. Try looking at the other threads, very useful advise.

Anyway, good luck Pugluver and hugs to Hooch!Blush

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

PugLuver
Novice

Oct 4, 2003, 2:28 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] How to reprimand a nipping/pooping Pug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hooch goes in hiscrate at night, well it's actually a huge and I mean HUGE pet carrier that we have had for some time now and he will not poop/pee inside that. He goes in willingly every night and that is like his bedroom. I find him in there snoring away during the day too all on his own when I leave the door open. Give a crate a try. He holds it until I get up at 6am to bring him out. LOVE IT!!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my