Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
German Shepherd

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 7:26 PM

Post #76 of 251 (5854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Polluxx] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Another problem is getting him high in drv for very long currently 20 min drv work will tire him out !

The secret is to retire him at the highest drive at every training session. He should stop at peak drive leaving him wanting more. This will get his attitide better on the next session. 20 mins is too long for puppy will bore him out.

well my next pose will be tht if the young dog is alredi having firm grip on the tug but will not come back to the handler , so can we still move on the defense aggitation while at the same time, try to polished up the grip (calm & firm) Crazy . . . ? ?

Work him on a longline to solve the coming back problem. Prey/Defense work must be done hand in hand. 100% defense work will be too stressful for a young dog. When you move 1 step ahead in your training steps you still need to polish 2-3 steps behind to ensure solidity.

"But if you compare good sports with a good police dog then you will not see much difference there."
====================================
I always tot Police K9 (Patrol) will be harder (stronger nerve) since like they were specially selected & have gone thru countless testing (Stress) before being selected, I thk (this just my personal opinion) sports dog in ScH (we r talking abt level3) is still not thoroughly tested for nerve of steel....I thk it could be better....? Wht do U think...? Wink

In general yes Police K9 have more hard dogs but in reality not necessary. Soft dogs can do pretty good apprehension work when trained well. Just that he will be a bit sensitive to his handler.

In SchH, courage test is on the last step where the helper start to run away from the dog but then at the very last moment he turns move into the dog in a thretening mode. The dog will jump in for a flying bite without hestitation. Not everyone can differentiate prey mode in a dog to fight mode. But once you can see the difference you will never be able to forget it.

One last thing Guys, any advise will be most helpful here , DO we need to polished up our dog's obedience (100%) b4 moving on to aggitation or defence drv promotion? . . .coz I thk getting my dog to go into def drv is easier than getting him to be 100& obedience... Laugh..! !

No but is advisable to do so. O/B only using drives n Motivational. Defense is easy you are right.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 7:30 PM

Post #77 of 251 (5854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Took me about 45 minutes to 'scan' thru all your posts and u drive me crazy....so many thing that i need to check out to rally understand your conversation and discussion. Pai seh paiseh....

No need to paiseh lah! It took me years to dicipher it myself and you did it in 45 mins very excellent already.Smile

PSD : we must meet in person one of these days and have a nice talk abit al this, i'm a newbie in this dog thingys.

It will be my pleasure and not to worry as everyone starts from being a newbie. Mail me if you need anything.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

mhazman

Sep 29, 2003, 8:17 PM

Post #78 of 251 (5850 views)
Shortcut

Polluxx,

"U bet ! ..... & where were U all this while ? ?.. "

Don't worry, I'm there...

Something from Frawley...

Fight drive = prey + defense+ training + experience

I can't compare the Malinois with my GSD on the fight drive yet as they are not at the same maturity level.Give me 6 months to a year may be..
Since 2 months old my Mal. was quite high in his prey drive. I'm building his defense now and hope it will be as good as his prey.
But I have to be realistic lor.. Amor was trained by Jiri Novotny and here I am trying my luck..!!

", DO we need to polished up our dog's obedience (100%) b4 moving on to aggitation or defence drv promotion? "

Not so sure about that. I guess differs from dog to dog.

rgds

Azman

boon
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #79 of 251 (5841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyoh pai seh pai seh....

what i mean is 45 minutes to 'scan' thru all the posts, but u had just mentioned the key of all this, decipher. it simply means u know all of these term and what's what...but me is scan thru nia...understand or not, where is the history come from and y, when, where....is another issue.Blush

U really made me feel paiseh...must be more hard working now to read on this working mongrel.....if not no way to chip in for the discussion.........heheheheh

Polluxx : Still didn't receive your email leh.Blush

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 10:19 PM

Post #80 of 251 (5835 views)
Shortcut

BoonSmile,

I really liked your enthusiasm. Don't worry too much lah!just chip in whereever you can. Asking for clarification on things you don't understand is one way of doing it. Surely someone will help with the definition for you to get it faster.

Angelic

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 11:45 PM

Post #81 of 251 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

Hahha, ok will try whenever i can, and hope u don mind if i start asking a lot of may be 'junk' regarding this working mogrel.Wink

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 11:52 PM

Post #82 of 251 (5830 views)
Shortcut

Boon,

Its not a junk if its meant to be educational. No worry, I bet many will take time to help you know better.Smile

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #83 of 251 (5829 views)
Shortcut

ok i will WinkCoolSmile

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 12:07 AM

Post #84 of 251 (5827 views)
Shortcut

Hello Boon,

I am new to working breeds and would like to learn from you as to what you mean by working mongrel ???Shocked

You have a nice looking dog, is it a working mongrel as well ?

Thanks.

regards,

Colin

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #85 of 251 (5823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Boon,colinchin] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh

Colin, The working mongrel thing was coined as a joke between Boon and myself......Sly

Boon and his working mongrel....lolLaughLaughSlyWink

Anyway, colin great to have you here.

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 12:40 AM

Post #86 of 251 (5817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Colin,

Nice to have u here with us, i myself am from Penang and also a newbie like you too. But not to worry, we learn from each other and if u have anything, feel free to ask and seek for clarification.

Working Mongrel == as what PSD had replied, is what we refer to as a Working Bloodline German Shepherd Dog or GSD.

Thanz for the complements, the one in my avatar is a Labrador Retriever/Lab/Labby/Labbies or sometime i use to refer her as my Monkey, Pinkie Pig (she is fat and nose.eye lip, lip pad is pink in color or a proper term is Dudley, and her eye is Hazel eyes, all this simply means no pigmentation, is a major fault in any labrador, and is disqualify from show ring). by the way her name is Bonney. Feel 'ashame' to tell u taht she is not my working dog, she is my only Bonney, my dog.

U look at her face u know, she is way to hyper and naughty than i can use words to express to u. When i work hard to hopefully earn a few cents just to survive, she sleep comfortably at home, when ir each home and she got all the energies to jump, run all over the house and when i sleep, she also sleep.

If u think this is still what u call a working dog, then her full time job is eat and sleep.TongueTongueBlushCoolWink

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 12:45 AM

Post #87 of 251 (5817 views)
Shortcut

TongueHi PSD,

Nice to see your reply over my innocent question (Some sort of secret code) between you and Boon.

How old is your pup ? Where you got it from ? I am learning about the working breeds ONLY. Where are you located ? I do go up to KL at times.

How often do you train your dog ? Any helper available to assist in your training ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Colin

colinchin
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 1:31 AM

Post #88 of 251 (5812 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

Nice to know you all the way from Penang. Nice place with lots of good and tasty food. Hmmm, I can almost smell the nasi kandar already.

Yeah, I too hope can learn from you. Take care.

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 4:18 AM

Post #89 of 251 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

Quote:
"If u think this is still what u call a working dog, then her full time job is eat and sleep."
===================================
Hey ! that is my dream job ! .....maybe it is not so bad to be a working dog after all ... LOL ! TongueAngelic

BTW , Boon do chk ur mail again....pai seh la ! Blush maybe my working mongrel got lost while delivering the mail ! Wink . . .hmmm... gotta work some more on his hunt drv ...! Wink

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
(GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 4:33 AM

Post #90 of 251 (5806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colinchin] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Colin,

Quote :
"Hmmm, I can almost smell the nasi kandar already."
====================================
Yum-yum....definitely , dun forget abt the Penang Laksa ..... Slurp, slurp,slurp.....Tongue !

BTW Colin do chk out this pic Gallery :
www.kennelvanhildernisse.nl/Studs.htm

hope U dun mind , just wanna help U make up ur mind ! he-he-he ! Wink

.....not bad rite, now imagine they come with "DRIVE" .....! ..! Cool

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 4:48 AM

Post #91 of 251 (5805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD, mhazman] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Guys,

Quote:
"Fight drive=prey + defense+ training + experience"
=====================================
Yup ! ....plus "Courage" as well ! Wink

Quote :
"Since 2 months old my Mal. was quite high in his prey drive. I'm building his defense now and hope it will be as good as his prey."
Well if that is the case, I sure he will have "MEGA Fight Drv" heard tht the normally high prey dog (wt defence of course) will also posses high Fight drv ... U got urself a tough machine there, Bro . . .Wink

Anyway do keep us update on their development...!Wink

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2003, 5:04 AM

Post #92 of 251 (5805 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

Whoa ! ...Thanx for all those tips..! Smile ...pai-seh la Blush...to be keep asking for tips....!

QUOTE :
"He should stop at peak drive leaving him wanting more"
okie !...but the problem is he will dig up my small garden in no time...! Crazy

Quote:
"The dog will jump in for a flying bite without hestitation"
Now that's I'll call "courage" ! U need courage to take down an assailant/attacker ! .... I'll be first to admit maybe when compare to this courages mongrels, I'll be the 1st to take flight...! Sly

Once again thanx for all those info !

boon
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 8:17 AM

Post #93 of 251 (5801 views)
Shortcut

hahhaah learn something new today....

regardless of what breed is that puppy socialization is the key for preparing the pup for what ever the owner plan ahead in years.

Do not separate the puppies before 7.5 weeks to 8 weeks old, if u do separate them too early like 5 to 6 weeks, they will missed out the very important stage of their life in early socialization, this will lead to a very aggresive dog when they grow up. This is the time where the pup learn and play with their littermates to be a dog.

If u keep them for too long like 9 weeks and above, they will be just 'too doggy', this simply means that they do no bond as well with human as they could have.

Hahahhaa something totally new for me......

wildgunsr
Dog Kichi

Sep 30, 2003, 4:02 PM

Post #94 of 251 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Hie hie : )
I'm based in the Klang Valley, currently only interested in working GSDs. Was hoping that somebody can help me locate a reputable breeder/trainer.

Spoke to one of the forum members Wink here and was told to try contacting Polluxx (hope you can help me here) to get more information on a breeder in Klang.

boon
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 4:28 PM

Post #95 of 251 (5794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildgunsr] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Wild Gun Sr,

Great to have you here to keep this working mongrel thread alive. Apparently i have no idea where u can get a Working Line locally, I heard from PSD that there are few of this dogs available in Pennisula, but not of them are in KL or Klang Valley.

May be PSD, Pollux and Azman can help you.

wildgunsr
Dog Kichi

Sep 30, 2003, 4:56 PM

Post #96 of 251 (5793 views)
Shortcut

hie boon,

you can just call me Guns. Yeah, from what i gather there are only a handful of working GSD breeders around, so far i heard of Kedah, Seputeh and Seremban. The thing is not sure how reliable they are...that's what's holding me back.

The Kedah kennel is rather popular at where I'm based at.

Any of you guys out there know of a Mr. Lam that was an avid GSD breeder sometime back?

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 5:27 PM

Post #97 of 251 (5789 views)
Shortcut

"He should stop at peak drive leaving him wanting more"
okie !...but the problem is he will dig up my small garden in no time...! Crazy

Garden problem handles them differently from drive work. When you make drive you want to retire at the top. If you meant to tire out the dog then take for a 1 mile walk at this age and a 2 mile jog from 1.5 yrs.Smile

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #98 of 251 (5788 views)
Shortcut

Well if that is the case, I sure he will have "MEGA Fight Drv" heard tht the normally high prey dog (wt defence of course) will also posses high Fight drv ... U got urself a tough machine there, Bro . . .Wink

Guys, sorry i have to pour some cold water here.
High prey dog does not equals Maga fight drive. The dog either have fight drive in it or it does not. It is a genetic thing. If any generalisation in this then a dominant and perhaps handler aggressive dogs does indicate some points into good fight. But not many people can live with this type of dog though.

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Sep 30, 2003, 5:35 PM

Post #99 of 251 (5786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildgunsr] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Guns,

R u from the north ? kedah ?

(This post was edited by boon on Sep 30, 2003, 5:43 PM)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #100 of 251 (5786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colin,wildgunsr] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Nick,

welcome and glad you decided to join in. I think if you wanted references on any commercial matters should do it on private mail.

Colin,

Ask Polluxx if you want to any info abt me. He have tons of my info already. A real engineer he isLaugh Anyway, it is nice that you managed to catch up with Polluxx and hope to see you get your first working dog.

PSD

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my