Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
ANY TIPS???

valery

Sep 17, 2002, 5:12 PM

Post #1 of 16 (5715 views)
Shortcut
ANY TIPS??? Can't Post

Hello and good morning to all,
Since I have been receiving too many advises on how to care for my pug and Aust. Silky Terrier, I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer me any grooming tips for my 2 boys. I comb and brush them everyday, use the best shampoos and coat conditioners. I recently shaved the belly of my AST and he seems to be a lot happier. Guess it's also a lot cooler too. Should I bee too concerned about after effects (too cold, too little hair, should not be done ???)

Thanks a lot guys. I'm not looking for a free ride; just some genuine advise from others not out looking for a fast buck. I'm sure lots of you have come across pet stores trying to offer their 2 cents worth and most often if you listen, they contradict each other.

Valery

les
K9 Maniac

Sep 18, 2002, 4:12 AM

Post #2 of 16 (5700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [valery] ANY TIPS??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow... Finally see ur pug.. is it call Rocky? Wat a handsome guy! Smile *admire*

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

valery

Sep 18, 2002, 7:00 PM

Post #3 of 16 (5691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] ANY TIPS??? [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkHi,

Yep...that's Rocky alright. My spoilt old master of the house. But end the line...he's still a wonderful boy. Bubbles (my AST) has his photo posted in the photo gallery. This photo was taken sometime about 2 years back. He's just passed 7 so you can practically see his white hair all over his face. So it is not only a human thing to have white and grey hairs...doggies have it too !

Have a wonderful day !

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2002, 7:09 PM

Post #4 of 16 (5690 views)
Shortcut

I love seeing all the photos on the website, but especially the pugs. Reminds me of the pug we had when I was a little girl. His name was Toppa and he was very handsome. Pugs can produce the most wonderful array of facial expressions. Toppa was a very spoilt dog ... whenever we went down to the local shop he would come with us and my mum would buy him a small ice cream cone. It got so that he wouldn't come home unless he had his ice cream first. If mum didn't have the money for the ice cream we would go home, but he would stay there, so then we'd scrounge around for the threepence that was needed and go back and buy his ice cream and then he'd come home. Even the shop keeper would have sympathy for him and sometimes would give us the ice cream and we would pay him later. How is that for a dog training it's owners well?

valery

Sep 18, 2002, 7:20 PM

Post #5 of 16 (5688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] ANY TIPS??? [In reply to] Can't Post

AngelicOK. Guilty as charged. So....I'm not the only guilty party. To be completely honest, Rocky not only loves ice cream, but also herbal soup, apples, durian, and any otehr thing that he's not supposed to have. I remember the day my grandma was admitted to the hospital. He just waited behind the door everyday for her to come home but since she passed away at the hospital and he did not know it, his wait was simply futile. He seemed depressed for a while and then just lately, he got over it. Since my grandma was the only person at home during the day, he was always her "shadow" and went everywhere she went, moved only as fast as she could go, slept with her, ate with her, chewed her toes as a puppy....you knowlah...those things all doggies do! He's getting old now so we do the best we can not to stress him. Thank God for our wonderful doggies..........Have a wonderful day !

lisachew

Sep 19, 2002, 12:59 AM

Post #6 of 16 (5677 views)
Shortcut

I think that it will be better if dogs are allow in the hospital. You know when the owner is passing away, the dog would at least know about it. They will sense also that their owner's time is coming. But then later on, if they cannot take it ...they will 'go' themselves too.

Dogs are such a loving creature.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

valery

Sep 19, 2002, 4:41 PM

Post #7 of 16 (5669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] ANY TIPS??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lisa,

You are absolutely right. If you saw the coverage on 9/11 anniversary. You would have noticed these dogs that we sent in as a special team to comfort the grieving relatives of victims of 9/11. They were so sweet. Both children and adults were petting, hugging and playing with them amidst tears. I was so touched that though thousands of miles apart, I really felt that it would have been a very difficult time if the doggies were not there. But coming back to the subject of hospitals, though it would be very much something dog lovers would love to do, I'm sure that we have to consider other patients as well. Fancy having hampsters, cats, dogs, monitor lizards and all other kinds of creepy things around !!!! I'd be the one dead ! But it's really a sweet thought. When my Grandma passed away, I sent Rocky and Foxy (a Pomeranian who's since passed away from old age) for boarding at Dr. Yeoh's vet. I never brought him back until it was all over because I was too concerned about putting him through all the stress. It is easier for us to understand but our doggie friends may find understanding a little different. Even then, he found it confusing because "Ah Ma" never seemed to come back from her outing. My aunt who rushed my Grandma to the hospital told us later that my GRandma kept on reminding (in her breathless state) her to go home and feed Rocky because he's not had anything to eat yet. She apologised to my aunt for the trouble she caused for having to rush and that was the last time any of us ever heard her sweet and understand voice again.

Have a wonderful day today and hugs to all pooches.......

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 2:03 AM

Post #8 of 16 (5658 views)
Shortcut

Reading this thread makes me wanna pack up and rush back to hug the furkids. Frankly, as someone here has mentioned earlier, I don't know of anyone else that looks sooo happy to see me at the end of the day....

Rdgs Arthur

valery

Sep 20, 2002, 4:22 PM

Post #9 of 16 (5651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] ANY TIPS??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur,

You're right....give your pooch a hug every morning b4 you leave for work because when you return home each day, they're the ones who would be the happinest to see you...with wagging tails and quivering bodies,they would just jump at the sight of you at the door or gate. I wished I could get to the makan makan treat end of this month but unfortunately my boss told me that I have to be in Singapore on 30th so i'm leaving on 29th evening. Otherwise, i would have loved to meet all of you there.

Warmest regards,
valery

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Sep 20, 2002, 4:32 PM

Post #10 of 16 (5648 views)
Shortcut

Fortunately there are some dogs which are allowed in hospitals and other places. My mother had for 13 years a hearing dog. As a guide dog for the deaf he had all the privileges of other guide dogs and so was always able to visit her in the hospital and also got to visit her husband in the hospital after his surgery and before his death (from complications of the surgery).

Not only was he a beautiful dog who helped them so much in their lives, it was great that after her husband died my mother still had the dog, a sort of shared furchild. One day, if I can find it amongst my files I might post a story I wrote about the dog. His name was 'Gippy' and he was a mixed dog rescued from the dog pound by the hearing dog trainers.

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 6:47 PM

Post #11 of 16 (5640 views)
Shortcut

Hi Valery,

You can still join us for the makan-makan gathering 29Sep as we are starting out at 1030am till approx 1pm or so.

Rdgs Arthur

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 20, 2002, 7:40 PM

Post #12 of 16 (5637 views)
Shortcut

Valery,

Come to join us with your Rocky. My Boofy and Mike (both MIB) is definitely eager to meet your Rocky. You can always leave early says at 12.00 noon if you wish.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

valery

Sep 20, 2002, 8:11 PM

Post #13 of 16 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Dear Arthur & KBG,

Thanks for the invite again. I will most definitely try. I'll see if my mum is working then I can have her car in the day. Just sold my car and then no depend on LRT on work days....so.....Forgot to mention that Bubbles (AST) made me so mad yesterday. He's been having soft poop so you know the problem around the butt area. Rushed back early so that I can get him cleaned and give him a bath. Got home, boiled a big pot of water (gave him a tickicide soak) and then finished, dried him with the blower and then I got to wasing his enclosure with dettol and soap. Turned my back for a while and the next time i turned around again, there he was, lying down and rolling all over dettol and soap water. I WANTED TO THROW HIM IN THE POT THEN !!!!!! So naughtylah ! Then he look at me with his puppy dog eyes and my heart melted.........

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #14 of 16 (5630 views)
Shortcut

LOL! Your AST must be a water baby.. My furkids are not so crazy about getting wet.. Once they are blown dry, they like to stay that way. In fact, that's the only time one can see their actual size..not that big underneath all that fur..

Rdgs Arthur

lisachew

Sep 20, 2002, 8:44 PM

Post #15 of 16 (5626 views)
Shortcut

Yeah I always give Teddy a hug before I go for work. Coz whenever he knows that I am going he will look at me with one sad look which really melted my heart. I cant stand the feeling until I really hug him till he lost his breath ...haha just kidding. But thats how I felt.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

valery

Sep 20, 2002, 10:32 PM

Post #16 of 16 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur and Lisa,

I'm so much work to do....so that's why i'm sending you both replies under one posting. Bubbles loves water but only to play in; not bathe. When it comes to bath time, he will hide in the deepest corner of his cage and never wants to come out. But when there is water that he can play with, you can bet your life that you will always find him there either with his face in either the bowl of water or something else.

I really find this forum great...everyone's willing to discuss just about anything and i find that really fantastic.

Give the pooches a hug each day and they're at their happiest everyday. Just like humans, they rely a lot on us; on how we show shem we love and care for them through action rather than words (until the day a doggie woof woof interpreter can be invented). Lisa, don't hug too hard lah......

Have fun ya guys.

Valery

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my