Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
uncontrollable bladder

captain03
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 6:38 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2621 views)
Shortcut
uncontrollable bladder Can't Post

hey, anyone has a puppy that cant control his/her bladder? mine cant. Frown.. causing headache to me and my whole family.. when my goldie sees us returning home, he would peeeeeeeeee everywhere... ARgh~

every morning when i feed him, he would pee while he eats... ArGh~ even jus now, when i'm already ready to bring him out for a walk, and i say "Kai kai Loh" (meaning going out), AGAin.. he PEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee! Ahhhhhhhhhhh~ *Note : the pee is in big puddle, when ready to go out and while eating!*

last time he used to pee on the newspaper after eating his food(which is 4 times a day). but now he DUN! he Stores his pee, and pee only 2 times a day, which will be in 2 Big Big Big puddle of pee...FrownFrownFrownFrown

help me pls... i dun want this to cause my family to dislike him..Frown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 18, 2003, 10:15 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [captain03] uncontrollable bladder [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,Smile

he can control his bladder....and he controls it to release pee when he gets excited.

Eating= Excitement= pee

Kai Kai= Excitement= pee

See u return= Excitement= pee

guess he just pees more than other dogs...coz maybe he's more excited.

i'm not sure abt helping the condition though..no experience in this...sorry BlushFrown
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 18, 2003, 6:39 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

Don't worry so much ... the urinary system in a pup is still developing and it will take a little time for puppies to learn to properly control their bladder and peeing impulse ...

The most important right now is not to frighten the puppy ... while you learn how to sort out this situation.

Just a few questions ...

(a) How old is your puppy now?

(b) Where does your puppy spend most of its time? Indoor or outdoor? Where does puppy sleep?

(c) Where do you feed the puppy? In the kitchen/back of house?

(d) Who spends the most time with the pup? You? How often and approximately how much time?

(e) Have you actually started formal toilet/potty/housetraining?

CheersSmile

captain03
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] uncontrollable bladder [In reply to] Can't Post

he is abt to be 6mths old, he spends most of the time indoors and sleeps in my bedroom. i feed my puppy in the balcony behind the kitchen. i spend more then 12hrs with my puppy per day.. and yes, he is already toilet trained. its only when he gets excited, he will pee anywhere...

"Don't worry so much ... the urinary system in a pup is still developing and it will take a little time for puppies to learn to properly control their bladder and peeing impulse ... " <-- i'm afraid that he will get used to pee when seeing us returning home.. cos my aunt's dog been peeing when seeing her returning for many years.

this morning i did some trick to save some trouble. before i fed him breakfast, i lure him to the newspaper. i have his dry food kept in a container, once i open the cover of the container.. WOAHLA!!! he pee immediately when he smells his food... Unsure but at least he pee on the newspaper, save trouble mopping the floor....

(This post was edited by captain03 on Sep 18, 2003, 8:19 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 18, 2003, 8:23 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2597 views)
Shortcut

*Wow* ... lucky puppie ...

You spend 12 hours a day with the pup? ... That's great ... no work or study?

Okay ... if you puppy is toilet trained ... then you are probably facing "submissive urination" from your pup ... which is not all that uncommon especially in the softer temperament type breeds ... Smile ...

The puppy pees when it meets you, people or as RealityDreamer says ... when its excited ...

Here are some useful sites with suggestions/solutions/training methods:

www.hi-caliberbooks.com/submissiveArticle.htm

www.dogbreedinfo.com/submissivepeeing.htm

www.dog-play.com/peeing.html

Caution: Submissive urination is sign that the puppy is submitting to you and the family ... If you treat or react to this "harshly" or you reprimand the dog physically ... You will simply make the situation worse ... You cannot cure submission by being overtly dominant. Acting aggressive or dominaint to the pup simply results in more submission from the pup!!! ... and even more pee-pee ...

As your pup matures (together with developing urinary system) ... incident of submissive peeing (with proper puppy education) should also reduce in frequency ... and eventually disappear.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 18, 2003, 8:36 PM)

hkliling
Novice

Sep 23, 2003, 12:40 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Hi Captain03,

If there is nothing wrong with your pup's health and you have no choice, you might wish to try this. Caning. It might be heart breaking but that might help your pup to learn, feel a bit scare of you and thereby will listen to you in future. Of course before you cane your pup, you need to bring your pup to his/her urine and let your pup's nose touches his/her urine before scolding (letting him/her knows that he/she had done something wrong) and canning that is not too hard but enough to make him/her cry out. Don't sayang or give food to your pup straight away because you feel sorry. Make sure she/he looks scared of you and let him/her feels lonely for a while. Hopefully your pup will learn after this. Sometimes 2nd time required then furkid will learn.

captain03
Novice

Sep 29, 2003, 12:56 AM

Post #7 of 10 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hkliling] uncontrollable bladder [In reply to] Can't Post

caning??? i dun think it will be a good idea if the dog is suffering from submissive urination... i used to beat him when he gets excited and pee on the floor. but, this is making the situation worse... he'll pee more if we beat him. but now that i am using the tactics explain in the above links, he gradually improves... the tactics really works...

urs is somehow a good idea if he is a puppy that u had jus bought home who doesnt know where to pee.. And when i beat him, i dun beat not too hard.. not so hard that can make him cry.. Scold him loudly with a little physical punishment. Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 1:14 AM

Post #8 of 10 (2562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL, hunter] uncontrollable bladder [In reply to] Can't Post

*** hkliling ... If a pup is suffering from submissive urination - it means that the pup is already signaling its submissiveness ...

Hitting an already submissive and nervous pup is NOT going to solve anything ... and will probably the situation WORSE ... Rubbing a dog's nose into it's pee or poop doesn't solve anything either ... All you are going to do is frighten the pup even more!!!

*** captain03 ... Please understand ... regardless of whether its a new pup just brought home or otherwise ... physical or verbal abuse of the pup will not help reduce submissive urination ... your previous treatment of your pup may have already contributed to your current problems ...

Please read the threads on submissive urination and follow their advice ...

CheersSmile

captain03
Novice

Sep 29, 2003, 7:56 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] uncontrollable bladder [In reply to] Can't Post

"*** captain03 ... Please understand ... regardless of whether its a new pup just brought home or otherwise ... physical or verbal abuse of the pup will not help reduce submissive urination ... your previous treatment of your pup may have already contributed to your current problems ... "

yeah but i wrote :

"i used to beat him when he gets excited and pee on the floor. but, this is making the situation worse... he'll pee more if we beat him. but now that i am using the tactics explain in the above links, he gradually improves... the tactics really works... " <-- er..surchinmy, last time i didnt know abt the seriousness of this problem until i read these links..Wink he improves very fast now... no more peeing anywhere when gets excited.. er... only ocassionally. haha..

"Rubbing a dog's nose into it's pee or poop doesn't solve anything either" <-- yeah, i agree on that.. sounds a bit er.. haha... lets think in another way, if u rub that on ur dog's nose, hmm... arent u going to clean it away after that? so troublesome.... haha Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 8:10 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Glad to hear that things are improving ... Smile ... but once in a while accidents will still happen ... but less and less frequently as the doggie grows older ... Smile ...

Cheers Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my