Wondering about my doggie's skin.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 25, 2003, 1:20 AM

Post #1 of 34 (4872 views)
Shortcut
Wondering about my doggie's skin. Can't Post

Hi guys, need some feedback and help. My Shih Tzu/Maltese was brought back from Australia 3 years ago. Since then,
1.) She has been having itchy skin ever since.
2.) Her skin developed patches of pigmentation.
3.) Fur coloring comes on and off, sometimes her fur is all white, then patches of light tan color fur grows back, then white again.
4.) Back half of her body's fur has become curly.

She couldn't get use to the weather here so her fur is now always short. I have been told it is a reaction to the weather here. I have done things like change her shampoo, her diet, applied lotion, antiseptic tea tree oil lotion among other things for her itchy skin, only very slight improvements. Can weather really do all that or am I missing something? Anything else I can do? She is 5 yrs old now. Crazy

Laura & Babe

boon
Doggyman

Sep 25, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 34 (4858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitten] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

What brand of kibble r u in ? may be we can start from there......may be some supplements will help..Wink

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 25, 2003, 6:31 PM

Post #3 of 34 (4856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Boon, when my dog came back, she was with science diet for a while, then i switched to eukanuba. after which she was put on a cooked chicken, cabbage, rice diet for 2 yrs. It got worst. So now she is back with eukanuba for 6 mths now.

Laura & Babe

boon
Doggyman

Sep 25, 2003, 6:48 PM

Post #4 of 34 (4854 views)
Shortcut

Hahah if you dog still facing the same problem, a switch to lamb & rice based kibble will be a good start, if ur dog still can't along with this, then go for a special formulated kibble for sensitive skin.

Supplements like Nupro and other will definately help.Wink

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 25, 2003, 7:01 PM

Post #5 of 34 (4853 views)
Shortcut

Crazy she is with lamb and rice! Laugh maybe i'll try sometime else for sensitive skin. Thanks. Will definitely look at supplements the next time me goes doggie shopping.

btw, is there anything that can control color change in fur?

Laura & Babe

boon
Doggyman

Sep 25, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #6 of 34 (4850 views)
Shortcut

r u referring to pigmentation of the 'color' of fur ?

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 25, 2003, 7:38 PM

Post #7 of 34 (4847 views)
Shortcut

I am refering to the color of the fur. Yea, the pigmentation....I think. When Babe was a puppy, she was white, black and brown color. When she came back to Malaysia, she became white. 1 year ago, her fur start to alternate b/w white and white with light tan patches every few months.

Laura & Babe

boon
Doggyman

Sep 25, 2003, 7:49 PM

Post #8 of 34 (4845 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

from the label of the supplement i'm using i can see the following, it help in many ways, and here are some of it :-
  • Arthritic Conditions,
  • Dry & Itchy Skin,
  • Fleas,
  • Hot Spots,
  • Raw Areas,
  • Coat Deficiencies,
  • Poor Digestion,
  • Gas, Allergies,
  • Obesity,
  • Listlessness,
  • Anemia,
  • Disease,
  • Poor Appetites,
  • Stress and etc.

(This post was edited by boon on Sep 25, 2003, 7:50 PM)

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 25, 2003, 10:28 PM

Post #9 of 34 (4837 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Boon, will look it up. Wink

Laura & Babe

torochan

Sep 26, 2003, 12:17 AM

Post #10 of 34 (4834 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

just curious to know, wht shampoo ur 're using now for ur doggie?

my chow used to have the itchy skin.but after i change his shampoo to 'Derma***n', his skin condition improve alot.

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 26, 2003, 12:21 AM

Post #11 of 34 (4832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [torochan] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

hello torochan, I have tried quite a few brands. Mostly, I use those with tar content or those for sensitive skin. Now I am using one from Au that uses aromatherapy oil of lavendar and rosemary. It seems to help a little better than the rest.

Laura & Babe

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 4:02 AM

Post #12 of 34 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Lamb & Rice is not the solution to skin problems, that's my opinion, if it is, there will be no vet, everyone would just start change thier dog's food to lamb & rice once they've spotted skin problem.

Why not take your dog to the vet and let them advise you better on what solution is the best? Maybe selected medicated shampoo or medicine is the actual cure to this problem. If its serious and been going on for quite sometime, please get second vet opinions on this.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #13 of 34 (4818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup... I think too that lamb n rice is not de answer. Maybe it will help a little but not 100%.

Regards,
Sweeeng

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #14 of 34 (4817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, for all you know the dog might be alergic to Lamb and Rice!!!

kitten
Dog Kichi

Sep 27, 2003, 8:19 PM

Post #15 of 34 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Thanks guys, think you r right cause I don't see much results on everything I've done so far. Babe's due to see a vet anyhow, so I'll be getting the vet's opinion. For 3 yrs, the vets I've seen here says everything is ok. Unsure I want another vet's opinion on it. Wanna change my vet. Any good ones in PJ, reasonable in price? Heard in the forum there are a few good ones in Subang.

Laura & Babe

boon
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #16 of 34 (4810 views)
Shortcut

up to certain degree i do agree wiht u BUT

bear in mind tha lamb & rice contain the least % of protein if compare to normal chicken based kibble. Some dogs simply can't get along with the high protein level and the extra protein will caused red spot.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 10:13 PM

Post #17 of 34 (4808 views)
Shortcut

Seeing a vet is definately better if it perlongs...

boon
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #18 of 34 (4806 views)
Shortcut

do not expect a vet know more than u reagarding your dog. Also not all vet know what is what in term of nutritional values in each individualt dog food, They will just recommend u a prescribe one with what ever brand that they have more %.

Sorry to tell u this and wake up galWink

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Sep 28, 2003, 3:38 AM

Post #19 of 34 (4802 views)
Shortcut

ur right lisa, just like Mocha who is sensitive to beef product. I guess she just want to follow the mummy don't want to eat beef Tongue

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Sep 28, 2003, 3:43 AM

Post #20 of 34 (4801 views)
Shortcut

u know, some of the vets just promote which ever brand they have in their place that can help them make some $. There was one who did that to me Crazy now he kena 'banned' from me liao Tongue serve him right isn't it Smile

I guess its better we learn more to be on the safe side and understand ourselves what is the problem. Then get the vet's advise on this and find the best solutions from there on....

cheers,
minglmy

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 4:58 AM

Post #21 of 34 (4790 views)
Shortcut

Eh sure or not? This is very sad and unethical to know.... they are doctor to human, should learn and do what ever possible to help mar... why like that wan!!!
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Sep 29, 2003, 5:08 AM

Post #22 of 34 (4788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

well i do agree with boon n mingyang...some vet's dont really know everything n they just promote whtever brand gets them more commision..hate to say this but its very unprofessional for them to do tht..so never fully trust a vet,,ive trusted my vet once with dog food in the end i found out tht it doesnt suit my boy at all...end up with a stack of medical bills for his skin prob..Mad
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

boon
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 8:28 AM

Post #23 of 34 (4782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

u gotta meet one to believe it, but i hope u don have to. No offend, try to imagine this wah, Vet's qualification is way loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooower thatn doctor in pre-u or whatsoever.

ultraman
New User

Oct 6, 2003, 7:26 AM

Post #24 of 34 (4745 views)
Shortcut

if it is due to skin problem(s), you can try peace and kindness skin treatment spray which is known for its healing miracle Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shih Tzu........ They're your friends, partners, defenders and dogs. You're their life, love and leader. They'll be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of their hearts. You owe it to them to be worthy of such devotion.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2003, 8:29 AM

Post #25 of 34 (4742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ultraman] Wondering about my doggie's skin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... Smile ...

Peace & Kindness ??? ... Healing miracle ??? What are its ingredients? ...

CheersSmile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my