Qualified Vet to do Hip Score

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 27, 2005, 10:32 PM

Post #26 of 45 (10967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I visited many Vet and I can say he is the best.

coffee

Apr 29, 2005, 1:25 AM

Post #27 of 45 (10941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. There is one vet just came back from US who is qualified. The one who consulted comel.
But you need to know what is your purpose of getting the hipscore which is recognize by those organisation? Do you just want to find out. Are you a breeder? You want to export you dog to US and Europian country? What if the vet say you dog graded having HD. Are you going to neuter you dog?

In other country when the HD is detected, no breeding allow for that dog. It doesn't exist in Malaysia. Please tell me who is willing to neuter a RM20K imported stud when proved HD? I will salute that guys. The vets have been trying to clamp down on this (also some genetically carried skin problem) but hardly anyone will listen. And what you get is a lot of puppies with more problem. This is due to unethical breeding.

(This post was edited by coffee on Apr 29, 2005, 1:31 AM)

coffee

Apr 29, 2005, 1:39 AM

Post #28 of 45 (10939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoe] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

For HD, instead of treatment, it will be more approriate to call it management. There are conservative (medical) management and surgery management. Weight loss program, joint support supplement, pain killer, flooring, staircase...all these are conservative management. Surgical management can be corrective surgery to alleviate the pain, surgery to solve the problem (total hip replacement, TPO...) and also salvage surgery. Some of the case you need a combination of both to make it work. Your vet should be able to explain and advise you because it is different from case to case.

Do not give up hope.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

May 11, 2005, 11:53 PM

Post #29 of 45 (10852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

I am taking my dog to AMC - Dr. Siva. He is not the cheapest vet in MY but he is good and can properly evaluate the x-ray.

Treatment shows best result with cosequin (available there too) given on daily basis. Sorry, not cheap either.

Better product available from USA directly only and THAT is certainly not cheap to bring in.

Many more alternatives are available and all will bring the same result then corrective OP can do but those alternatives are less stressful and less painful for your dog and most likely cheaper too.

coffee

May 12, 2005, 2:09 AM

Post #30 of 45 (10843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Cosequin is one of the joint support in the market. There are a lot of other product as well. Some are even better and cheaper. Synoquin, joint rescue, pet power... Basically you are looking for those containing glucosamine and condroitin. A lot of product only contain glucosamine, but condroitin is also somthing very important in joint cartilage and joint fluid. For glucosamine, go for glucosamine HCl instead of glucosamine sulfate.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

May 13, 2005, 10:26 PM

Post #31 of 45 (10824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right. many alternative products on the market and we have to try out which one brings the best result for our dog.

Our dog responded best to a product from US, but this is not available in Malaysia and the american guy does not sell to Malaysia. We tried all other products but had the best results with cosequin. Synoquin is useful when taking the initial loading dosage thus cost nearly the same then cosequin and, lesser results - at least for our dog. Pet power and all the others are good when no serious conditions, e.g. score B- and better.

Toy
K9 Maniac

May 15, 2005, 10:19 PM

Post #32 of 45 (10789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

yah, i agree with u, many ppl been there & stick to tht vet.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 2, 2005, 6:59 PM

Post #33 of 45 (10708 views)
Shortcut

Hi, just found a way to get "flexicose" into the country and THAT is definitely one of the best products available.

Don't know who else has a dog with CHD and is willing to spend time and money to make his dog feel better. It would be nice to hear about and share information on how to handle and how to care for.

I'm still adjusting to the local conditions and the lack of considerations.

coffee

Jun 3, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #34 of 45 (10697 views)
Shortcut

Be careful of "bringing in" product from oversea. For anything to be used, taken orally, applied external, you actually need a license for the product. You need to register the product especially those product fall under poison act. Otherwise the "bringing in" is actually considered smuggling and you are commiting crime. A lot of product you see in the petshop are brought in from Thailand and Singapore. No proper registration means smuggling. For example if you buy a superbike from Singapore, although it is half the price, many people will be hunting for you because it is smuggling. Income tax will chase you for the import duty, puspakom will be hunting for you, JPJ as well because no proper documentation like import duty, AP... Same for any of the product used in the market. Make sure the product is brought in through proper channel.

If you are using a product not registered, something happen to your dog, who is going to claim responsibility. You can't sue anyone because the product doesn't "exist" in Malaysia.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 6, 2005, 7:46 PM

Post #35 of 45 (10675 views)
Shortcut

YES, I know that. I have spoken to the custom department prior to importing the product and they were kind enough to help me in this case. I received a lot of good advise and help and I am very thankful for it. Certainly, I have to apply to the authorities if I plan to bring in more of this and/or if I plan to provide other dog owners with this amaizing product.

Riccaval
ALPHA

Aug 11, 2005, 11:00 PM

Post #36 of 45 (10609 views)
Shortcut

hi,

If a dog has an above average score when tested at 2 yo. Will it later developed into HD?

What are the chances of the pups inheriting such score if it was mated to a bitch of very low score?

Anybody?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 15, 2005, 8:02 PM

Post #37 of 45 (10586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the purebred rules about mating dogs, it is not allowed to breed dogs with less then “C” score.

If the dam has low score then it is very likely that some of the pups will have a “C” from birth and that it will deteriorate with age, especially happen to larger or giant breed dogs. It would need a lot of attention to improve or stabilize the condition.If a dog of age 2 has an average score then it might need some simple attention to ensure that it will not deteriorate. Depends on breed, weight, size, food, environment and some luck.

Riccaval
ALPHA

Aug 15, 2005, 8:52 PM

Post #38 of 45 (10585 views)
Shortcut

Not sure about the 'alphabetical' scores.

What i know are the 'numerical' scores from 0-53.
the lower the score the better......high scores are BAD news.

however many oversea breeders are not fully convinced with this hip score thing. Some dogs got very low scores but has obvious hip problems while some got higher than average score but has produced low score progeny.
so I agree with you... alot depends on breed, weight, size, food, environment and some luck.

cheersFrown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 16, 2005, 1:02 AM

Post #39 of 45 (10575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

The official score card used by everyone is a slimmer version and uses just 5 groups from A to E. Whereby A & B could be used for breeding and C with some limitations.

I would guess that it is more difficult to find a qualified vet to do the score then to take care of a CHD dog.

If two good score dogs produce pups with hip problems then it might be either the submissive gene or most likely the food for the bitch. It is of utmost importance to the bitch to get the right food and sufficient supplementation.

In a trial run, the breeder used low score dogs to breed. He fed BARF diet plus Vitamin C supplements and produced healthy pups.Unfortunately, the issue is anything but easy or simple and extremely challenging to any serious breeder.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 11:37 PM

Post #40 of 45 (10541 views)
Shortcut

Joesmith

if we bring our dog to go through this Hip test, will we get any certificate or something which recognised by MKA? well i read an old book, published few ten years ago, state something like for AKC, they will include u in a list, so ppl who wish to search for a stud dog or wish to purchase a pup will prefer to choose urs, & this discourage breeders to breed those with bad scores.

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 12:51 AM

Post #41 of 45 (10526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

When you would live in the USA then it would work this way. However, I never heard that this is practiced in Malaysia.

coffee

Nov 6, 2005, 3:28 AM

Post #42 of 45 (10442 views)
Shortcut

Just wait. Planning stage. There is different in terms of scoring hip or grading hip. Also alpahbetical or excellent/ good... It all depends on the country. Europe and US adopts a different scheme. Even in US different methods are used. One good example is PennHip which is patented.

Malaysia is still in the planning stage. Need to see which system is more suitable. Need a lot of corperation from the, breeders, vets and government. If you havea very good system and nobody follows it, waste of time. Vets and government can't prevent the breeder from breeding a rejected dog. It is the breeders' initiative to develop a fine breeding line. If money comes first in their mind, .

maxsimkh
Novice

Dec 10, 2005, 8:43 AM

Post #43 of 45 (10329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toy] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

GOOD NEWS! AFTERALL, MALAYSIAN VETS ARE NOT AS LOUSY AS MOST OF US THINK THEY ARE. CURRENTLY IN MALAYSIA, WE HAVE OUR VERY OWN VETERINARY RADIOLOGIST, WHICH IS RECOGNISED BY US AND EUROPE. AND HE IS THE ONLY ONE I KNOW IN MALAYSIA WHO IS QUALIFIED BOTH ACADEMICALLY AND EXPERIENCE TO DO HIP SCORING. HE IS NONE OTHER THAN DR. HENG HOCK GAN FROM UPM VET HOSPITAL. HE DO CONSULTANTION ON EVERY TUES AND THURS IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN. PLEASE DO CONSULT HIM FOR HIP SCORING AS HE IS THE ONLY ONE IN MALAYSIA THAT IS QUALIFIED TO DO THE PROCEDURE.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 14, 2005, 12:02 AM

Post #44 of 45 (10296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maxsimkh] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to know. Thanks for sharing with us. Do you know which scoring system he is using?

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

May 23, 2008, 9:03 PM

Post #45 of 45 (9163 views)
Shortcut

How much is the medicine/supplement that u're bringing in from the US??Cosequin and Synoquin is about RM300 per bottle..my GSD is very oversized at only less than 10 months old, eventhough from very fine bloodline with good hip scores, i'm worried and i'm willing to spend..to a certain limit of course..haha..please let me know..thanks
joe

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my